Lack of offline protection will cost the game

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Ultimately, my main issue with the system is it doesn't sound fun. But as I said I can live with it because its so intensely exploitable and I'd use that to my benefit.

Eldrath says his system requires you to live in the territory. But I don't see how. So you're aware what's happening? It doesn't take a huge amount of actives to know what's happening in many places around the map. A small group living in each of your keeps can keep you fairly aware of what is happening. My problem with a 3am siege isn't that nobody will notice. It's that even if someone does notices, I'm not waking up for a video game even on a damn weekend.

So assuming these systems are long enough you can't siege someone in less than 24 hours, I'd just claim as many keeps as possible via mad resource rush early on and then sieging anyone who goes inactive with a keep, and when people tried to take them I'd just round up a zerg to hit them during their less active hours. They need to maintain their siege for 24+ hours hopefully. I only need a few minutes at their least active point of the day to end it.

I suppose it does come down to how much value controlling a bazillion keeps has, but when the spots are limited it's probably worth controlling them just for the sake of selling them to other groups who need a keep if nothing else.

Heck, I might not even claim inactive keeps to sell. I might just make people pay me to not destroy their siege camp if they try it. Even simpler. Could make a whole business of rounding up a group of guys, checking every keep daily, and seeing if the attackers or defenders will pay me more to destroy or not destroy the siege camp. Recruiting now, extortion money will be divided equally among everyone who comes. XD

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It was a bit ranty as my thought of more and more ways to exploit your unexploitable system as I went on. I'm settled on extortion money now though. The simplest plan, easiest to execute, seems to have the most profit per hour in it as it doesn't sound like it would take much time and even if I can't get people to cough up it shouldn't be hard to find some defenders willing to pay out.

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
If guards were absolutely rigged, yoked out units and made offline ninja sieges improbably, maybe then it would work. I honestly don't think the solution needs to be overly convoluted. You just shouldn't be put in the situation where your players need to literally pulls shifts to protect your assets. That leads to frustration and burn out.

Reactions: Kaemik

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
All I have to say is, THE CHINESE. If you think the Chinese won't zerg exploit and hack their way through MO2 then you must have been playing singleplayer games for the past decade. That cool moment you might get from cloak and daggering a guild will be overshadowed by the constant 3AM sieges on a weekday by Chinese hordes for NA guilds. But honestly I'm fine playing mo2 with 200 players again I suppose.

Reactions: Svaar and MolagAmur

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
All I have to say is, THE CHINESE. If you think the Chinese won't zerg exploit and hack their way through MO2 then you must have been playing singleplayer games for the past decade. That cool moment you might get from cloak and daggering a guild will be overshadowed by the constant 3AM sieges on a weekday by Chinese hordes for NA guilds. But honestly I'm fine playing mo2 with 200 players again I suppose.

I think the game not having a free option will limit such things greatly.

Besides, wasn't it china that had issues with nudity in the game?

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
I think the game not having a free option will limit such things greatly.

Besides, wasn't it china that had issues with nudity in the game?
No it won't. All the games they've infested are paywall games. As in buy to even play.

Reactions: Amadman

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Every mmo and survival game that has let you offline raid, in my experience, has only made people meta game to attack the most, when they knew their enemy was offline. I understand that some of you mo1 veterans can feel very strongly about things being changed about a game you love, but how is encouraging offline raiding, enhancing anyone's experience? Wouldn't it be more engaging for both sides if both were online to fight?
I think we are jumping to conclusions though. I think there will be offline personal house protection, as long as you arent in a guild. But to say a guild of 5 cant come together to defend a zone of control and needs offline, No Way.

• Haha
Reactions: Rhias

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I think we are jumping to conclusions though. I think there will be offline personal house protection, as long as you arent in a guild. But to say a guild of 5 cant come together to defend a zone of control and needs offline, No Way.
Nope, thats how it was in MO1. No artificial protections

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Chinese farmers had trouble in MO because of the lack of safety.

It is my belief that they would benefit from offline protection more than be hindered by it.

Reactions: Amadman

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I've always come at Chinese from an angle that you treat them like anyone else until they show you their true colors. And the result has been, mixed results just like Westerners. Have I had issues with some? Yes. In Life is Feudal when we first established our village they gave us starter supplies and helped protect us. In Conan Exiles westerners attacked our sandstone base on day one, and Chinese helped us build up and get revenge.

I'm not especially afraid of Chinese because like any other group, I see them not only as a potential foe, but a potential friend. But yes I think the argument they will be very powerful in a very odd timezone is valid.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Well, the classic gold farming was not very lukrative in Mortal Online 1. That might change depending on various designs f.e. Haven, walls and guards. I don´t think a siege window would have a big influence on it, unless assets are essential to farming efficiently.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Chinese farmers had trouble in MO
He's not talking about chinese gold farmers :LOL:.

I'm not especially afraid of Chinese because like any other group, I see them not only as a potential foe, but a potential friend.
I don't. The Chinese are a very loyal people. They more than likely had a temporary personal agenda with you in LiF. I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive Chinese guild that cheats their fucking asses off and knocks everything down that people attempt to place.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
He's not talking about chinese gold farmers :LOL:.

I don't. The Chinese are a very loyal people. They more than likely had a temporary personal agenda with you in LiF. I wouldn't be surprised to see a massive Chinese guild that cheats their fucking asses off and knocks everything down that people attempt to place.
The logic still stands. You want a super strong Chinese guild then go ahead and make them invincible 22 out of 24 hours a day

Reactions: Bicorps and Rhias

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
The logic still stands. You want a super strong Chinese guild then go ahead and make them invincible 22 out of 24 hours a day
So you're saying to combat that, you want to be able to siege them when they are offline so that you don't have to fight them...rather than form an alliance with other people on the server to match their strength. I don't think thats the answer either. You're just further proving how flawed the system is.

At the end of the day if it stays the same its going to be a shit show. I'm not pretending to have all the answers, but if I was the dev of the game I can assure you I would come up with multiple ideas and test them on a test server. But again...SV hasn't said how its going to work so maybe they have it figured out?

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
So you're saying to combat that, you want to be able to siege them when they are offline so that you don't have to fight them...rather than form an alliance with other people on the server to match their strength. I don't think thats the answer either. You're just further proving how flawed the system is.

At the end of the day if it stays the same its going to be a shit show. I'm not pretending to have all the answers, but if I was the dev of the game I can assure you I would come up with multiple ideas and test them on a test server. But again...SV hasn't said how its going to work so maybe they have it figured out?
I mean is a lion pussy because he stalks first?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

This is one of the reasons I think systems about territorial control should have a broader context than just the keep. Via the system I proposed it is neither feasible to siege a keep within 24 hours of coming into the territory where it stands, nor is it feasible to control a keep if you only control the territory on which it stands 2 hours a day.

It is not an either/or thing. You can be against both ninja sieges, and groups controlling keeps on territory they only monitor for one timezone.

Reactions: MolagAmur and Svaar