Lack of offline protection will cost the game

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I view that as a feature, not a bug.

Generally I feel the same way in games where ridiculous grinds lead to a lack of truly competitive PvP without hundreds or thousands of hours of PVE beforehand. I don't feel so here where steel gear is perfectly sufficient to beat an opponent in cronite if you're moderately better. Given I'm fighting players and not their gearscore, I'd rather actually fight them, and not the HP of their walls while they're asleep.

Reactions: Sev

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
Generally I feel the same way in games where ridiculous grinds lead to a lack of truly competitive PvP without hundreds or thousands of hours of PVE beforehand. I don't feel so here where steel gear is perfectly sufficient to beat an opponent in cronite if you're moderately better. Given I'm fighting players and not their gearscore, I'd rather actually fight them, and not the HP of their walls while they're asleep.

You have that option regardless of how offline defense is handled

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
From either perspective, I'd rather fight players. I've organized more than one offline raid in more than one game. It doesn't take a particularly high amount of organization or cleverness. Just some idea of your enemy's schedule and a few guys willing to show up at whatever point they won't be on. Offline raids if they have an impact should be confined to resource stealing and minor outposts.

Nobody should lose a keep in span of a few hours or because their guys didn't log in much in for holiday unless they didn't build it up yet. Keeps don't go up in a single day's work. They shouldn't go down from a single night's raid.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
So there should not only be a offline protection but also a holiday protection?
This thread is getting better and better.

Yeah, you're full of shit to the extent of straight-up lying at this point. You've read my suggestion and responded to it so don't play dumb with me. I linked it multiple times and at no point have I suggested timers or protection periods are a good idea.

I suggested that it should take more than 24 hours to take a keep from an active group.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
From either perspective, I'd rather fight players. I've organized more than one offline raid in more than one game. It doesn't take a particularly high amount of organization or cleverness. Just some idea of your enemy's schedule and a few guys willing to show up at whatever point they won't be on. Offline raids if they have an impact should be confined to resource stealing and minor outposts.

Nobody should lose a keep in span of a few hours or because their guys didn't log in much in for holiday unless they didn't build it up yet. Keeps don't go up in a single day's work. They shouldn't go down from a single night's raid.

At some point this comes down to how much of a sandbox we really want.

One of MO's best features was how heavily oriented towards being a real sandbox it was, ninja sieges and all.

The timer on house loot was one of the rare exceptions where it was worth the trade-off of a sandbox, I don't see a need to go much further than that.

Reactions: Speznat

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Making sieges take more or less time to capture doesn't make the game more or less sandboxy. If you want to talk hyper-true sandbox you're talking Wurm Online and in that game siege timers weren't needed because if you tried to dry-loot a base that was really well setup it could take you days or weeks to access all the storage areas. And pushing people off their settlement was damn near impossible if they were resisting at all.

So if we're talking "sandbox" I'm fine with 24/7 pushes so long as the most it's going to get you is a fraction of the loot contained in the base. I don't mind small gains achieved in short periods. I just don't want to spend 2 years building a base that's then lost in a few hours because we slept in one night. That's not "sandboxy". It's just bad.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
What's exciting about logging off and back on the next morning to find all your hard work is gone because you had to sleep? That will cost the game players, just like it did with MO1. Is henrik planning on a service of a few dozen, or a thousands? What will it take to keep player growth in the positives (these games NEED constant player growth, other wise you end up with shambling corpses like M01 and LiF

The real stupid decision would be to leave the offline protection solely on the shoulders of the "improved" ai of the guards. What you have to realize is that people won't stick around to rebuild, especially if they thick the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Those groups just leave and they won't come back. MO2 needs those groups to survive. The question is do you want a live and thriving game, or a zombie.
Long time ago i thought the same way you do now. for many many years.
because many of stuff got ninja sieged.

But here comes the thing. If you as a group are that small that you cant hold that stuff 24/7 than you shouldn't own it anyway.
Keeps were ment for 100people up and not 10 or 20.

But for that whole system to work. keeps need more value in general that its worth the effort of constant defending and stuff.
So yeah in that point youre right. the whole old system makes 0 sense at all.

We dont know the new system completly yet, we must wait for Henrik to announce that. than we stuff to dicuss maybe Henrik has a savior idea of siege camps and stuff to make sieges 24hours longer that the defenders atleast have a change.

because keep sieges with jsut 5 people should be impossible. the attackers must also need a huge amount of people than its fair.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Did I? I read only the part with the time off for vacation and I half fell of my chair laughing.
I didin't want to hurt your feelings.
The guy is giving actual thought-out ideas and you're being a fucking clown. What guild were you in? Im genuinely curious...

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
The guy is giving actual thought-out ideas and you're being a fucking clown. What guild were you in? Im genuinely curious...
I think Rhias referred to the last post of Kaemik: https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/outposts-as-the-mechanic-to-prevent-ninja-sieges.1157/

Were kaemik discriped the current mechanic in MO1 that we already have but he just renamed the tower to outpost.
I think thats the point. if im right.

Im also confused. in this whole discussion who is here for what and why.

We have no official real data form star vault so all we cna is just guess and throw shit at each other xD

man party hard ya all.

Reactions: Vagrant

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
So there should not only be a offline protection for low population times during the day but also a holiday protection?
This thread is getting better and better.
sandbox killing mechanics like time windows... there is no time window system that can work good with MO.

there was the new idea about tends and siege camps and they may come. imagine you need to build a camp with tents, wood walls and priests for some hours before you can use your siege weapons.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I think Rhias referred to the last post of Kaemik: https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/outposts-as-the-mechanic-to-prevent-ninja-sieges.1157/

Were kaemik discriped the current mechanic in MO1 that we already have but he just renamed the tower to outpost.
I think thats the point. if im right.

Im also confused. in this whole discussion who is here for what and why.

We have no official real data form star vault so all we cna is just guess and throw shit at each other xD

man party hard ya all.

Absolutely not. Point 2 literally changes everything. It's a vast improvement over the current system, the actual mechanics may not be that huge but you guys confirmed to me that the meta of the old system was building towers and bashing towers while you're enemy was offline. While the system I propose is entirely about who can control the area of the keep for a greater percentage of the day.

It allows the sieges to be far lengthier by replacing tower bashing with contesting territory, which is actually fun.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Absolutely not. Point 2 literally changes everything. It's a vast improvement over the current system, the actual mechanics may not be that huge but you guys confirmed to me that the meta of the old system was building towers and bashing towers while you're enemy was offline. While the system I propose is entirely about who can control the area of the keep for a greater percentage of the day.

It allows the sieges to be far lengthier by replacing tower bashing with contesting territory, which is actually fun.

In MO1 this feature was for keeps only. And keeps are usually owned by larger guilds, which are less effected, since they usually got players on constantly.
In order to make this work for normal houses you would need a shitload of those outposts. That does not sound realistic at all. Or is this mechanic only supposed to exist for large guilds with keeps?

Rhias

May 28, 2020
RPK! Even before all those dudes from 50 different guilds joined. I mean in the times where they actually were good at fighting.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
No offense to you personally...but it makes sense now that the people in this thread defending free-sieging (or whatever you wanna call it) are RPK and ID.

Whatever the outcome is won't effect me personally, but I hope if it stays the way you want it that it doesn't run majority of newer players off when they spend a lot of time and effort to get their guild up and running to find it ninja sieged when they log on the next day. If thats what "hardcore" is to you and thats what gets your rocks off because you have to compensate for lack of PvP skill as a group...then by all means. Don't be surprised if MO2 becomes a dead game with RPK sieging themselves like MO1 did though.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
No offense to you personally...but it makes sense now that the people in this thread defending free-sieging (or whatever you wanna call it) are RPK and ID.

Whatever the outcome is won't effect me personally, but I hope if it stays the way you want it that it doesn't run majority of newer players off when they spend a lot of time and effort to get their guild up and running to find it ninja sieged when they log on the next day. If thats what "hardcore" is to you and thats what gets your rocks off because you have to compensate for lack of PvP skill as a group...then by all means. Don't be surprised if MO2 becomes a dead game with RPK sieging themselves like MO1 did though.

I'm not saying it should be "hardcore", but it should be sand-boxy. Artificial timers are not the way to go. And the same for static non-player build camps/outposts.
Add something like siege camps or boulder piles which need to be build before the siege starts. And with build I don't mean a architect that stands here for hours. I mean something like transporting parts/boulders with wagons from your keep/house/whatever to your enemy.
Something were people actively need to do something.
The speed of it is defined by the planning & strategy. And there is also no warning in chat saying "a siege camp is build nearby" but player need to observe it themselves. So transporting on "hidden" paths or some other tactics of disguise.
The defender should know it's surrounding, possible paths & watch them carefully.
So basically based on "skill", rather than timer & NPC's.