Immortal Online : Everyone is Wolverine

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
For a game that attempts to maintain a level of immersion, putting on a bandage whilst in full plate armor, whilst sprinting, is pretty far-fetched.

Imagine shooting 200 arrows into someone, and they're still at full health after wrapping a bandage around their arm. They'd be more arrow than flesh at that point, yet, they can just heal up forever mid combat with a piece of cloth, whilst sprinting.

I bring this up because this happened to me. I was fighting an armored oghmir, and no matter how much i hit them, they just bandaged up whilst still closing the gap. I killed his horse, limiting his movement, and the fight just went on forever. He couldn't catch me, due to me being a veela, and when he did? I ran away and bandaged. I couldn't deal enough damage to him due to his armor. It was a stalemate where both of us were immortal. It honestly just felt like a joke.

Fights should not boil down to self-healing in combat. It is way WAY too strong ESPECIALLY when armored; and is underwhelming and anti-climactic when you realize it is more or less impossible for you to kill one another. It is honestly just unsatisfying gameplay, and immersion breaking and removes all tension from the fight.

People need to die like they'd die in real life if they had 200 arrows in them, or if they got sliced with an axe. They would have to go away from combat and rest. Not run a marathon whilst wrapping a bandage around their still armor plated body (which makes no sense). Then come back to the fight in perfect health.

I get it is a game, and it doesn't have to simulate RL exactly, but this is way WAY off for a game trying to simulate some level of immersion.

Magic healing? I'm fine with because magic has more limitations than a bandage. Also, it doesn't ruin immersion because, well, it is magic.. By it's nature it is meant to be something unrealistic. It can be interrupted, and they have to move slowly to do it. Not only that, it takes a greater stat investment to do it well and consistently whilst also being armored.

Damage has no staying power in this game due to bandages and armor. Give someone 30 seconds? They're back to full health in their plate armor, ready for round two. It isn't fair on people who do smaller amounts of damage. They will run into people who will literally be impossible to kill because of this weird mechanic. The only chance they'd have is if their opponent is afk. Same applies to people with high mobility. Being able to sprint away and bandage is broken also.

"But since everyone can do it, that makes it fair!" That isn't really the point. The point is that it makes the gameplay worse, and destroys our suspension of disbelief and any tension in the fight. It is just dull.

Why specifically armored healing is a problem is as follows :

The more armor you have, the stronger healing becomes.

Why?

Because each health point is worth more when you lose less health per hit.

I have no idea why nobody seems to see this as a huge issue. Do you seriously think people should be able to just regenerate like wolverine mid combat at near full mobility? How is that immersive? Beyond that, how is that fair?

Someone in light armor can heal, sure, but a few hits and they're dead. Armored opponents? I've seen people fighting seven people by themselves, hardly taking any damage, and then they just bandage through it.

This game honestly seems to have a huge bias towards heavy armor and the strength as the cure all to every problem.. But it becomes most disgusting when paired with bandaging. Shouldn't being a medical professional be tied to some sort of stat? Like say, intelligence? Maybe that is a bit heavy handed..

How would i balance bandages?

How would i balance bandages? Mobility is one of the huge issues. Sprinting whilst healing potentially 50hp is ridiculous; add Heavy armor? It becomes completely broken.

The effects of the bandage should be diminished depending on the weight of your armor. Also, i would limit the potential mobility whilst applying the bandage. That way, you need an opening to bandage. Since it takes more time to take health off an armored opponent, it should take them more time to restore that health. Alternatively, you could have the timer for the bandage to apply the heal take MUCH longer, or have it heal for much much less. I prefer the latter personally.

OR

Just remove bandages from the game. We have resting, that makes perfect sense from an immersion standpoint. Again, i get this may seem heavy handed, and it is convenient to be able to heal whilst having full mobility, but it is just broken when it comes to PVP.

I would love to see people try to defend bandages, or explain why they think this take is incorrect. Honestly, i feel anyone who disagrees with me on this probably isn't thinking of what is best for the game but what is best for themselves.

*sidenote*

Obviously the issue isn't specific to just bandages, the real problem is with self-healing as a whole, as people have brought up. There are other types of self healing that similarly add to the problem.

Last edited:

manure

May 7, 2022
Sire, I understand your frustration.
In several occasions im forced to leave combat because of that.
Its almost impossible to fight against an oghnir or thursar on plate if i am a Veela on less than ranger armor.

But thats how it is. You have to pick your targets...
They also get mad for not being able to catch an alverin due to speed difference.

Some templates negates the others. Thats why you should form a party.
If certain template negates the otber, your party member probably will do the job, and so on.

Now if you want to play alone, you gotta pick your targets accordingly.

I think you are complaining about the wrong matters...
You should be complaining about Tindrem Elite Guards insta killing people on this game.
Thats a valid complain !!

Reactions: SeaShadow

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Sire, I understand your frustration.
In several occasions im forced to leave combat because of that.
Its almost impossible to fight against an oghnir or thursar on plate if i am a Veela on less than ranger armor.

But thats how it is. You have to pick your targets...
They also get mad for not being able to catch an alverin due to speed difference.

Some templates negates the others. Thats why you should form a party.
If certain template negates the otber, your party member probably will do the job, and so on.

Now if you want to play alone, you gotta pick your targets accordingly.

I think you are complaining about the wrong matters...
You should be complaining about Tindrem Elite Guards insta killing people on this game.
Thats a valid complain !!
See, i don't think what you're saying is really getting to the heart of what i'm saying.

I'm not asking for the rock paper scissors style of the game to go away, what i'm asking for is an end to these stalemate fights which just go on forever due to high mobility self healing.

It is just dull and anti-climactic, and makes everyone involved feel helpless, like there is no chance.

manure

May 7, 2022
See, i don't think what you're saying is really getting to the heart of what i'm saying.

I'm not asking for the rock paper scissors style of the game to go away, what i'm asking for is an end to these stalemate fights which just go on forever due to high mobility self healing.

It is just dull and anti-climactic, and makes everyone involved feel helpless, like there is no chance.
They should add POISONING to this game...So that they would have to cure first and then start healing... It would give us more time to finish them ! :)(

But before adding poisoning, PLEASE add Thievery, for christs sake ! Been waiting for 2 years already... Grrr

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
Its a slippery slope because as soon as you do something like you're suggesting you make fighting outnumbered drastically harder.

Corrupt used to be the best spell in the game to prevent exactly what you're talking about. But with purify pots (dunno if MO2 has them yet) it makes it useless.

Perhaps with the new combat abilities they can add some type of mortal strike effect that lowers healing for a certain length of time.

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Its a slippery slope because as soon as you do something like you're suggesting you make fighting outnumbered drastically harder.

Corrupt used to be the best spell in the game to prevent exactly what you're talking about. But with purify pots (dunno if MO2 has them yet) it makes it useless.

Perhaps with the new combat abilities they can add some type of mortal strike effect that lowers healing for a certain length of time.
For sure, i like the idea of a debuff that prevents healing, or maybe even reduces it when in combat.. But then i ask, why even use bandages if not for in combat? You may as well rest if that if bandages are useless in combat.. At that point you may as well not have bandages.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
In media there’s something called suspension of disbelief. You have to acknowledge that this is a game and not reality, albeit a really bad one.

Reactions: Tzone

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
In media there’s something called suspension of disbelief. You have to acknowledge that this is a game and not reality, albeit a really bad one.
It is a game that sells itself on immersion though. The trailer says "the most immersive MMORPG".

Is your suspension of disbelief not destroyed when you see someone who just ate 200 arrows jump back into the fight because they wrapped a small piece of cloth around their arm?

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It is a game that sells itself on immersion though. The trailer says "the most immersive MMORPG".

Is your suspension of disbelief not destroyed when you see someone who just ate 200 arrows jump back into the fight because they wrapped a small piece of cloth around their arm?
Why make the game worse so it looks better?

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Why make the game worse so it looks better?
How does immortality make the game better?

This is just personal preference. I mean, i've only survived some encounters because of bandages, and i think they're a terrible implementation even though they've helped me.

It would be easy to think they're good because they are helpful to the user. But in the grander scheme, it is just silly having people be essentially immortal in certain scenarios.

Explain to me why it is good that people can regen health mid combat. Why it is bad that people can't. I don't see anything here other than personal preference.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
How does immortality make the game better?

This is just personal preference. I mean, i've only survived some encounters because of bandages, and i think they're a terrible implementation.

It would be easy to think they're good because they are helpful to the user. But in the grander scheme, it is just silly having people be essentially immortal in certain scenarios.
Well I dont agree with your premise in the first place about "immoryality"

Its obvious that you are new and nit familiar with the game as you are complaining about bandies instead of ogh pipes, blood kua, potions, and hot food.

Wait till you see a oghmir go down to 4hp then back to full in 3 seconds.

The GAME has a lot of issues but if you are complaining about bandies you prob just got into your first fight and got out played when the dude backed up and bandaged.

Its a game first, there is a gameplay need for the bandage.

Reactions: Teknique

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Well I dont agree with your premise in the first place about "immoryality"

Its obvious that you are new and nit familiar with the game as you are complaining about bandies instead of ogh pipes, blood kua, potions, and hot food.

Wait till you see a oghmir go down to 4hp then back to full in 3 seconds.

The GAME has a lot of issues but if you are complaining about bandies you prob just got into your first fight and got out played when the dude backed up and bandaged.

Its a game first, there is a gameplay need for the bandage.
Well, the whole argument is about self healing really, not exclusively bandages. But i see you're trying a passive aggressive approach to arguing and saying it is my first fight.

I played way before potions were a thing, so i'm not familiar with them on my return. I've seen people use the pipes before, but it is an oghmir thing, the issue is broader than just that.

"Immortality" is a strong word, sure, they can be killed if they go afk, or you get twenty people to pile on them. But obviously i'm just using colorful language to get my point across.

The problem is with self healing with no significant weaknesses. This leads to stalemates and low tension unfun boring gameplay.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

Generally feel the opposite. When the game feels like you’re stuck in molasses due to excessive realism then it breaks my immersion

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Generally feel the opposite. When the game feels like you’re stuck in molasses due to excessive realism then it breaks my immersion
Obviously not excessive realism. Excessive realism would be like having to hand pick every item out of someone's inventory, and have an animation play as you pocket each thing.

Having people not regen and jump back into a fight instantly after taking an axe in the face isn't excessive. I'm fine with someone resting to regen, because atleast they're out of the fight for a while, or have to get away from the fight to heal properly. It is mid-combat healing that is ridiculous.

If i were asking for excessive realism, people would have to go to a hospital and rest for 6 months, and then have a prosthetic limb fitted.

Is it fun to not be able to kill people? To have endless regen stalemates? I don't think it is.

It is more about fun than realism. But obviously i'm arguing from both angles to strengthen the argument as a whole.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Obviously not excessive realism. Excessive realism would be like having to hand pick every item out of someone's inventory, and have an animation play as you pocket each thing.

Having people not regen and jump back into a fight instantly after taking an axe in the face isn't excessive. I'm fine with someone resting to regen, because atleast they're out of the fight for a while, or have to get away from the fight to heal properly. It is mid-combat healing that is ridiculous.

If i were asking for excessive realism, people would have to go to a hospital and rest for 6 months, and then have a prosthetic limb fitted.

Is it fun to not be able to kill people? To have endless regen stalemates? I don't think it is.

It is more about fun than realism. But obviously i'm arguing from both angles to strengthen the argument as a whole.
In combat healing is running rampant in this game and has been for too long in the first game aswell.
But humans seem to be addicted to getting second, third, fourth and even fifth chances instead of feeling the cold hard touch of punishment for every failure....
Fights would take an instant if players got punished for bad play, that hurts egos and make people quit.
Too many weak players in this community inluencing development...

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
In combat healing is running rampant in this game and has been for too long in the first game aswell.
But humans seem to be addicted to getting second, third, fourth and even fifth chances instead of feeling the cold hard touch of punishment for every failure....
Fights would take an instant if players got punished for bad play, that hurts egos and make people quit.
MO1 you'd take a good player over a geared out one any day. Not so much these days.

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Pretty much sums it up perfectly.

If any of you think being able to have endless chances in a game like this is fair? I have to ask if you should really be playing a full loot PVP game.

Like, is this a game made for babies or something? It certainly wasn't sold as that.

Last edited: