How to prevent people from deleting items after looting!

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I hope they completely think through the repercussions before adding this, as per my previous posts. The problem is that I am not sure they have enough experience in their game to do that fully, and I don't think they read through these forums completely, either.

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
New tester here. Personally I see no reason for option to delete items. Like say in Conan Exiles, to delete stuff you just drop and leave them to decay. Dropped items appear as small loot bag and stay there for X minutes before decay. This achieves multiple goals a) prevents people deleting items before death b) gives you a drop mechanic - sometimes useful to temporarily dump stuff when encumbered c) quick trade with other players.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
New tester here. Personally I see no reason for option to delete items. Like say in Conan Exiles, to delete stuff you just drop and leave them to decay. Dropped items appear as small loot bag and stay there for X minutes before decay. This achieves multiple goals a) prevents people deleting items before death b) gives you a drop mechanic - sometimes useful to temporarily dump stuff when encumbered c) quick trade with other players.
We already have an option to drop stuff. This discussion is about taking an option away.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
You have no idea how that affects the game play in this game. This game is very different than Conan, etc. The ability to delete things is very necessary for tactical, combat reasons as I have stated above.

This is not something SV should listen to new testers or people who lived in guarded towns from MO1 about, because it doesn't effect them or their style of playing. Nothing personal.

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
You have no idea how that affects the game play in this game. This game is very different than Conan, etc. The ability to delete things is very necessary for tactical, combat reasons as I have stated above.

This is not something SV should listen to new testers or people who lived in guarded towns from MO1 about, because it doesn't effect them or their style of playing. Nothing personal.

Firstly, don't tell me what I have an idea about or not. My feedback is just as valid as yours. So step off your high horse.

Secondly, the whole point of a full loot PvP game is guess what - FULL LOOT. Full loot does not equal loot minus all the loot the player decided to delete just before they realised they were not going to win the fight. There is absolutely NO tactical or combat reason for deleting stuff from your inventory before death. The ONLY reason is to attempt to cheat the other player of the spoils of their win.

Reactions: Valoran and bbihah

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
You have just proved how little you know. Plus you didn't even read the thread. There is already a system that won't let you delete stuff when you are about to die.

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
There is already a system that won't let you delete stuff when you are about to die.

So why did you just say "The ability to delete things is very necessary for tactical, combat reasons as I have stated above." As you clearly know so much more than me, perhaps enlighten me - when can you currently delete stuff and when are you prevented from doing so?

**EDIT**

I did misread OP about WHO was deleting, but regardless, my point still stands. Whether you are winner or lose of a fight, simply deleting loot makes no sense in a full loot PVP game. If you can't take all your enemies loot then someone else can take it. Could enemy come back and re-take some of it if you can't carry it al?, sure if they beat decay timer, but that's up to you to prevent or maybe get help taking it all away, hiding it, whatever...

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I am using my phone, so won't retype everything.
Basically, not being able to delete things is a MASSIVE advantage for those who are already fighting with all advantage. They are fighting at their safe zone, with npc guards helping, with zero consequence for dieing except losing 1set of gear (which is a very small consequence since the bank is right there in their safe zone.) On top of that, if the fight is at a town they are also constantly reinforced by people logging in.
Also, picking up other people's stuff is a criminal action, so ideas about other people picking it up, or it helping new players are bogus. No one fighting will turn criminal because the other townspeople will turn on them. So everytime someone dies they lose nothing and are right back in the fight.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
X is a MASSIVE advantage for those who are already fighting with all advantage.

Honestly this sums up most arguments I´ve read around here. Pilling advantage on top of advantage.

---

"Realism" is very often used in these kind of arguments, but obviously only when it benefits the argument. Destroying items is an abstraction to facilitate game play. It just happens to be implemented in a way that actually helps small groups.

If realism is really the goal then why can I not simply cut all the straps of armor? You know that would make it completely unuseable till fixed by a armourer? Right? Why can´t I scatter coins, precious metal ingots, reagents around?

Because of abstraction. Stop pretending that one is better than the other in terms of realism.

Reactions: Rorry

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
If you drag it from your inventory to throw it away it should hit the ground. There should also be a reclamation bench you destroy people’s gear at. Maybe there should also be a way to loot people’s armor and weapons and then destroy them in your inventory but it takes some time to do. Then you can throw their broken armor pieces back on the ground or maybe they disappear entirely.

Reactions: Strilan and bbihah

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
If you drag it from your inventory to throw it away it should hit the ground. There should also be a reclamation bench you destroy people’s gear at. Maybe there should also be a way to loot people’s armor and weapons and then destroy them in your inventory but it takes some time to do. Then you can throw their broken armor pieces back on the ground or maybe they disappear entirely.
The secondary function of being able to drop just certain items on the ground is a way to quickly throw a friend some bandages or a weapon in battle without standing still for 10 seconds

Rhodri_Taliesin

May 29, 2020
Wandering the road
I am using my phone, so won't retype everything.
Basically, not being able to delete things is a MASSIVE advantage for those who are already fighting with all advantage. They are fighting at their safe zone, with npc guards helping, with zero consequence for dieing except losing 1set of gear (which is a very small consequence since the bank is right there in their safe zone.) On top of that, if the fight is at a town they are also constantly reinforced by people logging in.
Also, picking up other people's stuff is a criminal action, so ideas about other people picking it up, or it helping new players are bogus. No one fighting will turn criminal because the other townspeople will turn on them. So everytime someone dies they lose nothing and are right back in the fight.
Rorry, the solution is pretty obvious. Don't attack people "at their safe zone". Strategically and tactically that's a big no no.

Even Sun Tzu said something was fucky wucky about going into hostile controlled territory.

Your complaint is that strategically it makes sense to delete breast plates and weapons in long drawn out battles, that made sense with the limitations of the first game, however this game is new and the idea of red groups roaming from town to town to pick a fight needs to die.

It was never considered 'peeveepee' it was just a nuisance for people who had their gameplay experience invaded by guys who only gave a shit about their instant gratification and egos.

Real warriors always went to Kranesh or GK to pick a fight, because there were other warriors there looking for the same thing.

Back to the topic though, MO2 is supposed to be an evolution, not a simple continuation of MO1 and retaining mechanics borne from limitations of the first game is both narrow minded and ill advised. Quite frankly we don't know how this will play out so let's not be so rash to discount quickly the idea of removing the ability to delete outright in favor of dropping items into the world.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Rorry, the solution is pretty obvious. Don't attack people "at their safe zone". Strategically and tactically that's a big no no.

Even Sun Tzu said something was fucky wucky about going into hostile controlled territory.

Your complaint is that strategically it makes sense to delete breast plates and weapons in long drawn out battles, that made sense with the limitations of the first game, however this game is new and the idea of red groups roaming from town to town to pick a fight needs to die.

It was never considered 'peeveepee' it was just a nuisance for people who had their gameplay experience invaded by guys who only gave a shit about their instant gratification and egos.

Real warriors always went to Kranesh or GK to pick a fight, because there were other warriors there looking for the same thing.

Back to the topic though, MO2 is supposed to be an evolution, not a simple continuation of MO1 and retaining mechanics borne from limitations of the first game is both narrow minded and ill advised. Quite frankly we don't know how this will play out so let's not be so rash to discount quickly the idea of removing the ability to delete outright in favor of dropping items into the world.
I lived in both of those places. Please enlighten me about real warriors.
How long has it been since you played MO1? A long time it seems.
For very large periods of the game THE ONLY pvp was outside someone's gate, or the gates of a town.
Doesn't even have to be near a safe zone, just near a priest.
As big as this map is there will be even more pvp right outside of town, because it will be the place you can find people.

The limitations of game play are the same even if technical capacities are higher, many people will die and try to come back into the fight.

Edit: Added

Strilan

May 28, 2020
LIF did something where you would drop items in a lootbag on the ground instead of "deleting" them, and they'd be gone after like... 4 hours or server restart and some items were actually able to be smelted back into their core ingredients.

Wonder if something like that could happen here.

The secondary function of being able to drop just certain items on the ground is a way to quickly throw a friend some bandages or a weapon in battle without standing still for 10 seconds
Damn you're onto something.