How to make Taverns a useful place.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I don't think any kind of safe space is going to go over in Mortal Online 2.

I also think that if there's any way to disrupt people who are playing a mini-game inside the game, those games (dice, cards, board games, whatever) will be interrupted just as often as possible. And that is sad. But people will cry if they can't interrupt them, and perhaps rightly so given the premise of the game.

In SWG, when I wasn't mining or racing my BARC, I was part of a dance troupe. No one could pick my pocket for my tips, or heist my instruments, or siege my houses where I stashed my wardrobe while I was out. No one could kill the droid that held my extra costumes and props during performances. I had complex and choreographable dance moves; the lead dancer could synchronise everyone. No one could set off an earthquake in Bestine, or push someone out of the cantinas in Mos Eisley. When we played music, everyone in the vicinity heard it. Watching and listening to us cured Battle Fatigue. It was great.

It wouldn't work in Mortal Online 2. Too bad.

View attachment 1641
This is the sad truth. When I came to this game all I wanted was to be a witch that wandered around offering to heal/res people I came across, picking herbs, and idling in a potion shop I built playing music over VoIP while selling potions and poisons to people. But I quickly realized the game won't allow for that kind of fun, which is a real shame.

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
I don't think any kind of safe space is going to go over in Mortal Online 2.

I also think that if there's any way to disrupt people who are playing a mini-game inside the game, those games (dice, cards, board games, whatever) will be interrupted just as often as possible. And that is sad. But people will cry if they can't interrupt them, and perhaps rightly so given the premise of the game.

No, not rightly so, regardless of the premise of the game. People get obsessed with having personal freedom to do whatever to the next person in this game, but only caring about that concept will create an even worse griefing experience than MO1 was, which will bleed needed players. You have to allow for some flexibility, and that's about gaming realities.

So you want full reality and freedom? Ok, your character has to eat balanced meals or they will gradually get sick somehow. Your character has to sleep at least 7 hours a day on a bed in a prone position or else experience serious penalties and eventually death. If you don't use a skill, it gradually loses skill points until you practice it again.

And when you die? When you die, all your loot is dropped and your character deleted, because you know, they're dead.

BongRips

Jun 15, 2020
No, not rightly so, regardless of the premise of the game. People get obsessed with having personal freedom to do whatever to the next person in this game, but only caring about that concept will create an even worse griefing experience than MO1 was, which will bleed needed players. You have to allow for some flexibility, and that's about gaming realities.

So you want full reality and freedom? Ok, your character has to eat balanced meals or they will gradually get sick somehow. Your character has to sleep at least 7 hours a day on a bed in a prone position or else experience serious penalties and eventually death. If you don't use a skill, it gradually loses skill points until you practice it again.

And when you die? When you die, all your loot is dropped and your character deleted, because you know, they're dead.
Usually when someone argues to the extreme, they are missing the point. Guess we will get rid of magic and mythical creatures as well? See how it's not so much a reasonable argument and more of just you being frustrated that others don't share your opinions?

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
No, not rightly so, regardless of the premise of the game. ...

So you want full reality and freedom?
Guess we will get rid of magic and mythical creatures as well? See how it's not so much a reasonable argument and more of just you being frustrated that others don't share your opinions?
Reality isn't in the game. Realism is only in the game where the devs think it does fit and can work.

There is no "regardless of the premise of the game", whether we like the premise or not. My point is that as long as a thing is possible, it will be done. If it's possible but not actively forbidden, it will potentially be done a lot. If it's actively forbidden, it may still happen in any instance when the people doing the forbidding can't stop it in action. This should be obvious.

And no matter how others dislike any action, if it's not impossible one way or another, it's part of the premise. People will feel justified in complaining if the premise (i.e., "Everyone thought it was Poker Night until I hit the Tavern with an Earthquake") suddenly changes.

Star Vault might let you try to have a quiet game on a game board. That's as far, probably, as they will go. The chances of them guaranteeing that you can finish one are slim, and none.

laylah_sig_wide_zps90b85aae.JPG

Reactions: BongRips

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Realism is only good, as long it not destoy the game experiance.

"But people will cry if they can't interrupt them"

Me defenetly not. It is realistic if people are not allowed to bring weapon everywhere. They can attack them with fists.