How to alienate your PVP community

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Do you want a long winded version.

Here you go.

What you call zerg I call nation building. Many people who run around ganking are doing so in small gangs, and much like the cartels in real life they know their role. When the cartel messed with a CIA agent, the CIA did was called a disproportionate response. In other words, they brought so much down on that cartel the cartel realized their few thousand members and few million dollars wasnt near enough when facing the financial resources of the US government and a several billion dollar agency.

The same goes for here in this game. If you're in a smaller guild or like to run around solo and you pick a fight with a "nation" or "zerg" as you like to call them, expect them to bring the hammer. I mean terrorist in the middle east didnt have fighters or any form of air defense, do you think they cried zerg when B-52 bombers were flying over them 24/7 for a solid month turning big mountains into rolling foot hills?

You run into Coalition territory and kill a coalition member and they bring 20+ people to kill the 5 of you, it is a message, that message is GET BIGGER or STAY OUT.
So, what you're saying is that there should NOT be a solo / small scale group actively PVP'ing right?
Thats what i understand from this...
So, in a sandbox game, which should be full of opportunities, and different playstyles, we should ONLY play in large groups, to build a nation?
I call bullshit

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Wollkneul

May 28, 2020
So, what you're saying is that there should NOT be a solo / small scale group actively PVP'ing right?
So, in a sandbox game, which should be full of opportunities, and different playstyles, we should ONLY play in large groups, to build a nation?
I call bullshit

He didn't say that at all.
He basically said that if you act towards bigger groups like a bitch, you gonna die like a bitch.
So stop complaining about Zergs

Reactions: Hodo

ThirdeyePULSE

Feb 12, 2022
so true when i tell my friends from albion about mortals pvp they are interested they think the pvp looks fun and the game looks good then after i explain the rep system and pvp punishment factor they tell me why would you play that shit game and they are right no other pvp game punishes pvp its so dumb because this game is dependent on pvp but all these carebears would rather complain about dying when gear is so replacable and people dying is good for the games economy
Lol yeah. I remember seeing on Albion forums people thinking MO2 would hurt the population of Albion. It hasn't even left a microscopic scratch and that's because pvp is too restrictive. That's coming from a full loot pvp game like Albion that also has safe zones and safe cities! Lmao. I'm still of the opinion Albions zone system is best for full loot MMOs because it gives everyone a place to go. If you don't wanna take risks you don't have too but the rewards generally suck compared to full loot or middle rep loss zones.

The worst part of this game is consequences come in the form of wasting my time. Force me to walk 30 mins without a horse or deliver parcels. Then you look at the demographic of game and its mostly middle aged men with jobs and families.

I can't think of a worse way to punish people that wanna pvp. Time related punishments for busy adults who don't have free time too spare... some days I only get an hour to play if I'm lucky. I've often spent half of my gaming time doing things that I didn't find fun or downright defeating. I don't think the time sink is directly related to pvpers either. Of course it's very common to get your horse killed for zero reason and now your playing walking simulator 4x slow mode, wishing you were still a proud owner of horse simulator.

Then you look at a game like Albion. You can be full loot pvping within 5 minutes. You die... that's okay. Quick load out buy your entire set back at shop and within 5 minutes of dying you could be right back at it.

Last edited:

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Even look at rust, has lots of casual players that like to PvP. They might only have one or two houses each session to play and if dying meant that they were done for 30 minutes or even twenty for each death it would be getting as many players as it has.

Safe towns and safe areas would be ok if we could have our own bandit towns and bandit areas. Which should be most of the map. I personally hate being a area where I cant fight other players because you just deal with toxic blues that grief your farm. Its just people pulling mobs and kill stealing.

ThirdeyePULSE

Feb 12, 2022
Even look at rust, has lots of casual players that like to PvP. They might only have one or two houses each session to play and if dying meant that they were done for 30 minutes or even twenty for each death it would be getting as many players as it has.

Safe towns and safe areas would be ok if we could have our own bandit towns and bandit areas. Which should be most of the map. I personally hate being a area where I cant fight other players because you just deal with toxic blues that grief your farm. Its just people pulling mobs and kill stealing.
Yeah I feel for this game safe zones isn't the best answer because of the way resources are distributed. If you went with system like Albion you would need to put the best resources in FFA zones and the lowest grade resources in safe zones.

I think just to make cities safe areas and make a small circle around cities rep loss.... an area that is clearly marked... then everywhere else is FFA and move all resources out of safe city areas it would solve a lot of problems. Of course, just like faction flag system in Albion if you were at war with another guild being in a city wouldn't be protection you could be Killed on Sight. Add some more lawless towns without rep loss.

The system right now is too punishing for pvpers and in many ways makes life harder even for PvErs. If your in a FFA zone as a PvEer you would most likely run away from most people you see. The way system is now you tend to stick around and hope person doesn't attack you first losing the initiative.

I'll even use this as an example and not as a copy paste suggestion but more for proof that consequences for pvping isn't the only answer. In Albion you can wear gathering gear which gives you boost to gathering as well as unique skills for getting away from gankers. MO2 could easily do something similar adding new gear to craft and making the job of ganking more strategic. It's nearly impossible to escape from a good ganking group that coordinates on discord with escape gear unless your really good. But bad gankers are very easy to evade.

I'm also a mostly PvE player at this point. However, the main thing that keeps me wanting to get better at a game is what I consider the real end game once you've accomplished everything else: PvP. In this game, I'm losing desire to play because the PvP isn't fun compared to the time sinks you endure.

Last edited:

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I call bullshit

So do you cry when you get stung by a single bee? No... but if you kick that bee hive and a few hundred bees come out and you get stung a few hundred times, do you call zerg? No because you were the idiot who kicked a bee hive.

Dont kick a bee hive.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
So do you cry when you get stung by a single bee? No... but if you kick that bee hive and a few hundred bees come out and you get stung a few hundred times, do you call zerg? No because you were the idiot who kicked a bee hive.

Dont kick a bee hive.
Yes zerglings gonna zerg. But the game shouldnt force everyone to join one of these beehives or being unable to pvp without retarded time sink punishments.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Yes zerglings gonna zerg. But the game shouldnt force everyone to join one of these beehives or being unable to pvp without retarded time sink punishments.

Well there is always in town dueling and arena fighting, if and when it becomes a thing.

• Haha
Reactions: ElPerro

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
I call bullshit
?
You complain about not having a safe zone outside Tindrem.
You frame it as you and your friend wanting to live the bandit life.
You refuse help from freelance spiritists and in reality you are not just two people.
You just want a safe house on the doorstep of Tindrem and you dont want the hassle of making a spiritist.

I call bullshit.

edit: I take great pleasure in the excitement of passing your small cheap shed, but gods, you behave like entitled kids. Try to play hardcore, without a fallback shed. omfg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hodo

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
?
You complain about not having a safe zone outside Tindrem.
You frame it as you and your friend wanting to live the bandit life.
You refuse help from freelance spiritists and in reality you are not just two people.
You just want a safe house on the doorstep of Tindrem and you dont want the hassle of making a spiritist.

I call bullshit.
Wrong.
I am complaining that SV makes changes to my and many other people's playstyles without any notice.

I am complaining that the only form of PVP punishment they could come up with is a time sink which certain people, like ThirdEye in the posts above, and many others, cannot endure due to not having enough free time to waste on something that is not fun.

I am complaining not for myself, I am complaining for the majority of the PVP community.

Just for your tiny little head to understand fully how much this is not about me, but about the game mechanics being outrageous, let me put it into a better perspective : I have a spiritist. Friend bought a second account to make a spiritist.

How does it matter that we are 2 people or not? This has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with the fact that StarVault continues to make changes without thinking of the consequences. I know plenty of people who quit the game because the criminal system is shit, and i know plenty of people that do not want to play the game because the criminal system is shit...

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Wrong.
I am complaining that SV makes changes to my and many other people's playstyles without any notice.
I think most people agree with this complaint, I do.
I am complaining that the only form of PVP punishment they could come up with is a time sink
agreed
I am complaining not for myself, I am complaining for the majority of the PVP community.

Just for your tiny little head to understand fully how much this is not about me, but about the game mechanics being outrageous, let me put it into a better perspective : I have a spiritist. Friend bought a second account to make a spiritist.

How does it matter that we are 2 people or not? This has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with the fact that StarVault continues to make changes without thinking of the consequences. I know plenty of people who quit the game because the criminal system is shit, and i know plenty of people that do not want to play the game because the criminal system is shit...
Ok, so you have been fucked over by changes. You are able to mitigate those changes with your spiritist, but this is really about you disagreeing with the criminal system. Well then, idk what to say, the cognitive dissonance between this and your OP is.. idk. Its like you are changing the subject. But ok, ehh well I really cant defend the present crimsystem, I hope they make what they talked about and the present is some placeholder... idk what to say.

ThirdeyePULSE

Feb 12, 2022
Am I the only one who read this and had to relook at the MO2 page?
MMORPG.
RPG...
Role Play Game

And they left because of RP PvP in a MMORPG game that has PvP and full loot?

😂
In all fairness if we wanna break it down that way, it's definitely not a "massively multiplayer" game considering servers cap out at 2k.

Godly

Dec 27, 2020

Dont kick a bee hive.
Which bee hive are you from and where do you guys normally operate?

Asking for a friend 0 : )

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
He didn't say that at all.
He basically said that if you act towards bigger groups like a bitch, you gonna die like a bitch.
So stop complaining about Zergs
Spoken like a guy whos never played without a huge zerg lmao

Dont kick a bee hive.
This is MO. You see a bee and know it screamed in discord for everyone to come now and you get zerged hard. Or maybe if you were really aggressive you decided to step on the bee out in the middle of nowhere because its an open pvp game and you can. But the internet is a thing so the entire hive empties even tho you werent anywhere near it and they shouldnt know.

Sadly the main reason open pvp games just dont work how they should, is cuz coms exist. IRL if you find some guy out in the woods, medieval ish times, nobody is going to get called. Which makes it so games like MO can only be for the people who want to zerg, and the pve people who dont care.

Last edited:

Skylandyr

Jul 27, 2021
Yeah I feel for this game safe zones isn't the best answer because of the way resources are distributed. If you went with system like Albion you would need to put the best resources in FFA zones and the lowest grade resources in safe zones.

I think just to make cities safe areas and make a small circle around cities rep loss.... an area that is clearly marked... then everywhere else is FFA and move all resources out of safe city areas it would solve a lot of problems. Of course, just like faction flag system in Albion if you were at war with another guild being in a city wouldn't be protection you could be Killed on Sight. Add some more lawless towns without rep loss and rep loss protection bubble around city like I proposed.

The system right now is too punishing for pvpers and in many ways makes life harder even for PvErs. If your in a FFA zone as a PvEer you would most likely run away from most people you see. The way system is now you tend to stick around and hope person doesn't attack you first losing the initiative.

I'll even use this as an example and not as a copy paste suggestion but more for proof that consequences for pvping isn't the only answer. In Albion you can wear gathering gear which gives you boost to gathering as well as unique skills for getting away from gankers. MO2 could easily do something similar adding new gear to craft and making the job of ganking more strategic. It's nearly impossible to escape from a good ganking group that coordinates on discord with escape gear unless your really good. But bad gankers are very easy to evade.

I'm also a mostly PvE player at this point. However, the main thing that keeps me wanting to get better at a game is what I consider the real end game once you've accomplished everything else: PvP. In this game, I'm losing desire to play because the PvP isn't fun compared to the time sinks you endure.
see and thats where i am at i am in the end game and i want to pvp i have 3k hours ive done all the pve in the game i did it in beta and i farmed myself enough stuff now in mo2 since launch i have 5 stacks of steel 1 stack of tung 3k gold i want to pvp now but i cant due to the rep system

Reactions: ThirdeyePULSE

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I have not seen changes in the patch notes that would make small group play more enjoyable than in Mo1. Instead the design moves away from individual responsibility towards fixed systems controlled by infrequent patches and SVs less than good understanding of what goes on in their game.

Mo2 seems much more of an continuation of mo1 than anew start. Which makes sense since henrik did not start with a fresh team. Those who have been following sebs and Herius statements know that they don't care for or actively dislike many of the hardcore elements of mo. This shows.

Not to mention that the execution was as bad as always leading to full loot showing its worst side.

On topic I would say don't invest to much time right now and see what SV does over the next year.

Reactions: Dracu