Henrik, please hire someone else to work on magic schools

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
Henrik,

I don't know if you're the primary idea guy who calls all the shots on magic in this game, but if you are, for the love of all, please hire someone to do it for you. The magic system is terrible. It's not fun, it's not useful, it's barely functional. The launch of SPIRITISM today has cemented my opinion on this matter. You do not have a good vision with magic. Spiritism is clunky, it's a logistical nightmare, doesn't even work well, and it's horribly NOT FUN. I don't know why I even play this game anymore if I can't look forward to something better, because obviously the class/play style I looked forward to is going to be an absolute joke. I have been a masochist to have hung on this long already. Hell, I even JUST MADE this forum account just to speak my mind on this. It's hopeless expecting anything positive from the magic system at this point.

The mechanics that will be out by launch will be disappointing to all new players. The veteran players won't be disappointed, because we already know what to expect.
This is not going to be good for the future of this game. Had the best of hopes. Think I'm gonna take a long break from this game... Tried my best to help support it. Think I'm about done.

Edit:. Thank you for your questions and criticisms eveyone. It helped me calm down and think a little more critically. I have explained myself a bit more in following comments, so for those who called me out for being a raging whiner, thanks. Please read through the comments because many people have posted good things. As for graveyard farming... It's fine. It's PvE mages can do fine alone... Like, the only one lol.

Edit

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AssassinOTL

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
a little harsh on the insults, i'll let it pass i can understand your frustration But hand in there i'm working on trying to explain slowly the little things about the system that need to be improved, a lot of this is the most basic of the system that they can and should expand upon the premise they are building on is a bit janky, and no it's not fun to see all the other classes talking about their 1vX wins and it's just not possible with our class, i hope you dont quit for good, because i'm bringing up the new player experience to them more often and i hope you can give them another chance and try to make suggestions for the class to become more fun and engaging to play. if you have a new forum account try to keep up with it and see how i've been doing my best to try to change this, our mages drop out daily and i've been seeing it and being VERY LOUD ABOUT IT! hang in there and hopefully we'll see you in Nave in the future after some changes

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
Yeh, I appreciate your dedication to the cause, but I'm not hopeful that Henrik can be reasoned with on this. I'll likely play the first month... or at least some of it, at launch, but I'm not sure whether I will sub or not. That remains to be seen whether or not the magic system is fixed, and made playable on both a PvE and PvP level. If Ecumenical isn't good for PvE or PvP and Henrik acknowledges it, but says "Everything is as it should be", he obviously does not care whether the gaming experience is fun for the players or not. He just wants his vision, no matter how destructive it is to the world he is building.

Edit: I'm going to be extremely pessimistic and critical of this, because if he wants his game to succeed, as we all do, he really needs to rethink some shit.
Here's one suggestion. Allow charging spells while moving... YES, you heard me, while moving. Henrik believes it would make us too powerful, but guess what... We have fucking mana pools that go out after 2-3 decent spells, and if we miss, then whelp, we're fucked anyway. That's just the beginning of the rant... Want a drawback? Twice the time to charge while running.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dracu

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
@SirVirtuo Could you elaborate a bit more on what you didn't like about Spiritism? Not trying to cast doubt on what you said, just wanted to understand on a more specific level.
So here's my experience so far. I get a new spirit container which contains 4 spirits. I cast ether portal to get more spirits. It used all 4 spirits, despite only requiring 3. I have 0 spirits. I cannot get more spirits. I resurrect. I get more spirit containers, enter portal and summon a spirit. I cast the exorcise spell on it, and nothing happens. I read description after getting banished. I cast it on myself to be able to do damage to spirits and I cast mental projectile on it 3 times, but it never hits. The system confuses me, and i am banished again, losing all spirit boxes. I realize that the whole system involves a 3-4 step process on gathering spirits, and the payoff is the ability to resurrect people, and maybe regen their mana? The projectile is just as bad as any ecumenical spell. Spiritism no longer seems worth it, and I reduce the skills to 0. I imagine playing it at launch, and it will be an unfulfilling grind, and nothing about the school is Fun. Everything is clunky, and spiritism does not offer anything helpful to the gaming experience outside of resurrecting your friends as they do all the killing in PvP and PvE, etc.

Top this off with ecumenical's terrible playability during any form of combat, and you have yourself a broken magic system that the creator loves, but hates to play it himself.

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
I don't plan on returning until housing. I'm hoping you're not as correct as I assume you are. Things have been terrible for a very long time with decision making. I just hope they stop trying to add things and buckle up and fix existing issues. There are still holes in the ground at tindrum from what I hear.

Spirtism was always a bust. I'm not even excited about new and upcoming magics like "necro" either. They will be completely out of tune and op from the nightmares from what I've heard from mo1. It sounds like this game is running the same history of mo1 as well. This is very discouraging as a "new" player to hear. Just a shame that you're basically a rez bot playing spiritism.

Just hold on tight and hope they do their thing. Hopefully, Henrik stops listening to the overly loud people that spew terrible ideas to promote their own agenda to the game.

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
Spiritism definitely does not offer enough utility to justify it's 200 point investment, and there's not really much fun to be had with it. Anytime to do group content you definitely want a spiritist in the mix, but nobody wants to be the spiritist..
Exactly! I didn't even mention the point requirement... It's insane that someone would spend so much, for so little. Thanks for the perspective!

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Magic is trash content in this game. Its pretty low skill floor and easy but not enjoyable. If you only want to win its good tho.

Magic needs a rework.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I actually agree. Even at max int and completely maxed out you can still barely kill a zombie as a mage. Takes two fulminates. About four to kill a wolf and about eight to kill a bear. You sacrifice a lot to be a mage. Low hp, low dex, low carry weight. In a wheelchair. Etc. And you don't get a lot out of it. Spiritism is good for taming I guess. Magic is also good for griefing and farming pigs. But besides healing and resurrection there's really no reason to play a mage over an Archer. PvE consists of riding back and forth on a horse casting fulminate. If you get attacked by a wolf or something and you're not on your horse you're dead meat. Hard to justify playing the class right now as it is

Valoran

May 28, 2020
So here's my experience so far. I get a new spirit container which contains 4 spirits. I cast ether portal to get more spirits. It used all 4 spirits, despite only requiring 3. I have 0 spirits. I cannot get more spirits. I resurrect. I get more spirit containers, enter portal and summon a spirit. I cast the exorcise spell on it, and nothing happens. I read description after getting banished. I cast it on myself to be able to do damage to spirits and I cast mental projectile on it 3 times, but it never hits. The system confuses me, and i am banished again, losing all spirit boxes. I realize that the whole system involves a 3-4 step process on gathering spirits, and the payoff is the ability to resurrect people, and maybe regen their mana? The projectile is just as bad as any ecumenical spell. Spiritism no longer seems worth it, and I reduce the skills to 0. I imagine playing it at launch, and it will be an unfulfilling grind, and nothing about the school is Fun. Everything is clunky, and spiritism does not offer anything helpful to the gaming experience outside of resurrecting your friends as they do all the killing in PvP and PvE, etc.

Top this off with ecumenical's terrible playability during any form of combat, and you have yourself a broken magic system that the creator loves, but hates to play it himself.
You need to cast expel spirit on yourself and then drain the spirit with your beam after draining all of its orbs.

Mental projectiling spirits isn't how you farm them, that spell is for PvP and technically also PvE although much less useful there of course.

I was able to farm 150 spirits in just a few minutes.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Hopefully, Henrik stops listening to the overly loud people that spew terrible ideas to promote their own agenda to the game.
Don’t think that there is any coming from back from the mortal wound that has been inflicted. No pun intended

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I actually agree. Even at max int and completely maxed out you can still barely kill a zombie as a mage. Takes two fulminates. About four to kill a wolf and about eight to kill a bear. You sacrifice a lot to be a mage. Low hp, low dex, low carry weight. In a wheelchair. Etc. And you don't get a lot out of it. Spiritism is good for taming I guess. Magic is also good for griefing and farming pigs. But besides healing and resurrection there's really no reason to play a mage over an Archer. PvE consists of riding back and forth on a horse casting fulminate. If you get attacked by a wolf or something and you're not on your horse you're dead meat. Hard to justify playing the class right now as it is
Mage aint no one hit spear but you can kill most zombies in one fulm at just under 120int . Main issue is that you will run out of mana eventually compared to melee which can just farm non stop.

Fargus

Oct 17, 2021
So I get the frustration of janky play loop but if you are using just fulms to kill anything other than risers (which in of itself is an awful experience im perma negative rep because I refuse to farm rep because of how awful it feels on mage) you are very much doing it wrong on my dex mage I have yet to run into a zombie that survives a fulm/outburst and sometimes a headshot fulm is enough to kill them by themselves. The change to EQ regents killed any hope i had for magic and that was even before I saw just how terrible spiritism is as a concept (why can't we just collect souls in boxes similar to elderscrolls). Instead of these lofty 30 schools of magic id just as soon hope for 3 schools called healing, damage and utility cause atleast then SV would have to be concise in their design. Barring the fact that objectively, I would argue, mounted mage is the 2nd best playstyle in the game I would it doesn't feel great to play 90 percent of the time. That 10 percent being when you open up on someone with a combo and 100 to 0 them.

Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
So I get the frustration of janky play loop but if you are using just fulms to kill anything other than risers (which in of itself is an awful experience im perma negative rep because I refuse to farm rep because of how awful it feels on mage) you are very much doing it wrong on my dex mage I have yet to run into a zombie that survives a fulm/outburst and sometimes a headshot fulm is enough to kill them by themselves. The change to EQ regents killed any hope i had for magic and that was even before I saw just how terrible spiritism is as a concept (why can't we just collect souls in boxes similar to elderscrolls). Instead of these lofty 30 schools of magic id just as soon hope for 3 schools called healing, damage and utility cause atleast then SV would have to be concise in their design. Barring the fact that objectively, I would argue, mounted mage is the 2nd best playstyle in the game I would it doesn't feel great to play 90 percent of the time. That 10 percent being when you open up on someone with a combo and 100 to 0 them.
Yeah killed so many people on the road between tind and fab today as mounted mage. I dont even have controled riding. The boring thing is that its so much down time inbetween doing things. But mage is EZ and MM has little risk so its even worse off.

One this is that I wish for a smaller reticle or the ability to turn off your reticle. I need a smaller person it covers up to much of the player.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
Mage aint no one hit spear but you can kill most zombies in one fulm at just under 120int . Main issue is that you will run out of mana eventually compared to melee which can just farm non stop.

I would love to see a video of this. I must be doing something worng. I'm a Int 138 Mage and every 6th Zombie or so gets insta killed by a Fulm. And the ones that aren't killed you need to hit with another spell to put them into mercy then a 3rd spell to kill them.

A Foot Fighter kites 3-4 at a time and slays them in a couple of seconds.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
You need to cast expel spirit on yourself and then drain the spirit with your beam after draining all of its orbs.

Mental projectiling spirits isn't how you farm them, that spell is for PvP and technically also PvE although much less useful there of course.

I was able to farm 150 spirits in just a few minutes.

Just to add to this, when he says "with your beam" it is not a spell. It is your basic attack button you hold in and point at the little satalite orb until it disappears, then to the jelly fish until you get the You gain X spirits.

But yeah it is pretty easy and fast once you have it figured out.

• Love
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Sebastian Persson

Lead Programmer
Staff member
May 27, 2020
Sweden

Just wanted to come in and say that this feedback is great for us.
"This was my experience with it" is a great way to give feedback.

Thanks!

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Just wanted to come in and say that this feedback is great for us.
"This was my experience with it" is a great way to give feedback.

Thanks!
I think the shost traveling could be faster as a spiritist. It boost the movementspeed from 800 to 900. I would like to see 1100 or so and 1 more agressive spell. i like the idea of having a second chance if you die in PVP, run behind the enemy cast a portal and shoot them with the laser from behind, even if you resurrect with low HP, till you get banished ans spawn at the prist. I would like if the spiritist could cast some kind of field on the ground that dismount mounted players, if they ride over it or some kind of bloodmagic stance that can be switched, so you can use health instead of mana to cast spells, if you run out of mana.