Haven in MO2

How to prevent farming in Haven?

• You can not take any items from Haven to Myrland.

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • SV will assign all items a fictional value and you can only take a small amount of that value.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • You can only take CRAFTED items and coins of X value.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • No restriction, let the pay to win begin.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Only raw materials.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Severely restrict skills available on Haven, so that farming there is a pain. (might be ineffective)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • No trading allowed on Haven.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • None of the above, other, please post.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Restrict spawn ons Haven to the first created character on any account

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Severely restrict farming rate on Haven

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
It´s not strange at all. It´s called a full loot sandbox with role playing elements. The only way I get to kill anyone is for them to enjoy the game. If there is no one enjoying the game there is no game.

Also you can transport your stuff from Haven to your racial city (whatever those will be). So not just Tindrem. That´s what has been said on the matter. So if I am Vadda based, farm my shit on Haven and then teleport it there I won´t do any transporting.

I don´t mind noobs getting somewhat wealthy on Haven. I do mind the permanant introduction of a safe zone for veterans.

I also don´t get why people are saying it should "stay" as it is. Haven is not build for MO2 yet (afawk). So any suggestion here might just flow into the design at no extra developer costs. It´s not like that can just port MO1 Haven over to MO2.
Right forgot about starter cities, yeah there should be some cap on the mat transfer then

Reactions: Eldrath

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
a noob and his gear are soon parted. if noobs are only going to play so long as they have gearsets in the bank then they're going to stop playing very quickly if they got a full bank or not.

the important part new players will learn in haven is how to regear, how to craft gear or get coin to buy it. if they dont learn this, they'll quit soon after moving to myrland no matter how much gear they bring with them.

allowing players to bring a whole bank encourages them to stay in haven and farm out a full bank's worth of crap, all with probably never learning about loss as well, which is not great.

we all want the same thing from haven in the end: to increase player retention. to that end its better to teach them how to fish rather than give them a fish. part of haven and the tutorial should require them to learn how to restart from losing everything, its an important core concept of MO and full loot games in general. once they have that, they dont need a bank full of gear to go to myrland.

-barcode
as long as they can only spawn in Haven once per account and cant go back, this really wont affect the economy much. The problem would be if you could keep rerolling characters and filling bank after bank of stuff then transporting it to myrland, THAT would be a disaster.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Yes, but if you missrepresent an argument to score a point I´ll call you out on it. That´s not about opinion but just intellectually dishonest.

Personally I think that would be fine if they limit the available resources somewhat. That´s why it´s part of the poll. It´s a possible solution to a possible exploit. See. above.
It's definitely my opinion and not intellectual dishonesty that there's a couple vets here who plain disagree philosophically with the idea of haven because it's not hardcore enough or what hardcore should be in MO in there eyes.

And that's fine, but it's most likely not gonna change because it was put in for a legitimate reason in the first place, and the island meets those needs currently for which it was designed.

It's funny to even see people get into an uproar over this, it's been in game for quite awhile now already and it's not news that the plan was always to carry it over to the new game.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
it's been in game for quite awhile now already and it's not news that the plan was always to carry it over to the new game.
status quo is no reason to not change something for the better. most vets had stopped playing mo by the time haven got implemented and thus had little input on the matter.

mo1's economy was jacked from day one. any number of exploits have messed it up even more over time, and then years of sv just sitting on their hands as people farm gold in their palisades while simultaneously complaining theres nobody to kill in the game because they're all hiding in palisades.

lets not have this happen in mo2. prevent exploits before they can happen, before they can become problems. wanting SV to change it after it has become a problem will likely put hernrik back into decision paralysis mode and nothing will get fixed.

if mo2 becomes as popular as we all hope, haven will become flooded with gold farmers who can farm in perfect safety and have their own network of mules to bring stuff over to myrland. this is a nightmare nobody wants. part of the glory of MO was that the murderous nature of the playerbase kept any gold farmers in check.

rather than insisting on allowing players to bring safezone mats to myrland, why not come up with a suitable 'care package' that all new players get after they arrive. Enough gear for them to not be completely useless for a few deaths but no mats or coin so it cant really be exploited.

-barcode

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
status quo is no reason to not change something for the better. most vets had stopped playing mo by the time haven got implemented and thus had little input on the matter.

mo1's economy was jacked from day one. any number of exploits have messed it up even more over time, and then years of sv just sitting on their hands as people farm gold in their palisades while simultaneously complaining theres nobody to kill in the game because they're all hiding in palisades.

lets not have this happen in mo2. prevent exploits before they can happen, before they can become problems. wanting SV to change it after it has become a problem will likely put hernrik back into decision paralysis mode and nothing will get fixed.

if mo2 becomes as popular as we all hope, haven will become flooded with gold farmers who can farm in perfect safety and have their own network of mules to bring stuff over to myrland. this is a nightmare nobody wants. part of the glory of MO was that the murderous nature of the playerbase kept any gold farmers in check.

rather than insisting on allowing players to bring safezone mats to myrland, why not come up with a suitable 'care package' that all new players get after they arrive. Enough gear for them to not be completely useless for a few deaths but no mats or coin so it cant really be exploited.

-barcode
When I thought it would all be localized to Tindrem, maybe then there's risk involved in transporting it around the map. If you can just spawn in any city you please more or less though thats going to be a problem. Could make all items come from Haven not tradeable. That way then all you have to do is place your gold in a bag, droploot on a nodeline, and ticket a gm to trade you all the contents of your bag. Easy fix.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020

-barcode
there wont be any gold farmers in haven if each transport to tindrem costs 65 bucks man (cost of game plus 1 month sub)

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California

-barcode
I absolutely agree with you about all the many things that attributed to the messed up economy over time. And they should definitely think about how what they put in the game will effect the economy long term. I always have, they continually messed it up along they way.

I am trying to point out that Haven, implemented just as it is but not allowing rerolled characters to go back there negates nearly all issues concerning this theoretical train of mules bringing unimaginable wealth to the mainland.

If you disagree on that point explain it to me because I just don't see it.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
there wont be any gold farmers in haven if each transport to tindrem costs 65 bucks man (cost of game plus 1 month sub)
theres no knowing what the rate will be for rmt golds but certainly a bank full of gold will be worth more than $65 usd

plus dont other countries get the game for less (some kind of value-adjusted amount for different average incomes)? plus doesnt the initial cost of the game include 1 month sub? i remember hearing a month sub was like $3 USD if people in asia buy it, no idea if its true or not.

I am trying to point out that Haven, implemented just as it is but not allowing rerolled characters to go back there negates nearly all issues concerning this theoretical train of mules bringing unimaginable wealth to the mainland.
theres a few reasons to legit want to restart in haven
  • premature myrlandification. new players excited to play the game come to myrland and get stomped because they didnt know what they were getting into and want to go back to experiment a bit before jumping in
  • rerolling a new race and want to have an easier time doing some doing basic skillups in a safe area
  • find out after some time that myrland really isnt for them but they really enjoy the game and want to continue in haven
not being able to reroll in haven brings up other potential issues: a gm would have to review and reset them but how does a gm know if its a gold farmer or not? if the game actually gets some popularity, it may be a lot of busywork for the gms, and doesnt solve the primary issue of bringing safezone mats to myrland.

gold farmers will exist, this is a known constant in the MMO landscape. certainly they will have no trouble funding a mule to take all the gold and mats over. heck in some cases they may not need to since new players will be in haven already and can do the transfer there.

-barcode

Valoran

May 28, 2020
We can safely assume for the sake of argument that MO2 Haven will follow the same rules as MO1 Haven.

Meaning you cannot go back once you leave, and we only have one cha
Yes, I also did that basically afk. Haven´t even gone into books. A fact you choose to ignore is that building a character to a specific menial task is extremely fast and does not require resources if you know what you are doing. Getting those skills up to an efficient level would not take long at all. All while I´m on my second account.

You number is obviously bullshit. Having second accounts in games like Mortal and EvE is commonplace for multiple reasons. People stated without knowing the new system that they will have different accounts just to try out stuff. So that is just naive as well.

A little thought experiment: We both have two accounts. I´m gathering on Haven, you in the mountains. I´ll use one of my accounts to hunt and rob your characters and gather at the same time without any risk. Who is gonna end up with more resources in the long run?

Also you are assuming that I have to constantly re-level a character. Depending on the restrictions in place that is completely unnecessary. So instead of making a constructive comment towards making good restrictions you are talking out of your ass. More on restrictions below.

We can safely assume for the sake of argument that MO2 Haven will follow the same rules as MO1 Haven.

Meaning you cannot go back once you leave. We also only have one character per account.

This means that you 100% will have to delete your second character and re-skill them in order to gather more resources efficiently on Haven after every transfer.

So regardless of how quickly you think you can level the dozen or so skills actually required to gather and extract materials of any value efficiently, it will still be an order of magnitude slower than consistently gathering resources on a fully skilled character on Myrland.

As previously stated, the very small number of people who actually bother to attempt this "exploit" will not impact the game in any meaningful way and will quickly realise that it's a waste of time, and that they could be putting their 40 USD + 15 USD / month secondary account to much better use by keeping it on Myrland.

Many people in this thread are making lots of assumptions about the impact of taking everything away from a new player and how it will affect their opinion of the game that I would argue are wholly incorrect.

The more time you invest into something, the more attached to it you become.

The more material wealth you gain in a game, the more attached to it you become.

You will care more about that save in skyrim where you have a house filled with things you have collected than when you first started with nothing.

Mortal is the same, and there is a reason guilds quit the game when their keep or house gets smashed down and looted.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.

Actually Henrik said on Discord that they are looking into different rules to prevent exploitation. That is why I made this thread.

Your assumption that it won´t have an impact on the economy is pretty baseless. Farming without loss has to impact the economy. Why do we have full loot in the first place? Why do we have durability loss? According to your logic those are not needed either.

I agree that noobs should keep something from their toils. Just not a bank full of blood ore, waterstone, etc. That is where reasonable restrictions come in.

Paying more money should not enable you to farm in a safezone. That is what is called pay to win in my book. You pay, you get an unfair advantage.

So regardless of how quickly you think you can level the dozen or so skills actually required to gather and extract materials of any value efficiently, it will still be an order of magnitude slower than consistently gathering resources on a fully skilled character on Myrland.

Except I´ll have my resources and the ones I loot from your corpse. Good luck looting me on Haven.

Also I wouldn´t even reskill anything. I´d fill up a bank with blood ore, waterstone, etc.; transfer it to Myrland, process it there and have enough steel till MO3. That is actually what I did in MO1 in Morin Khur. Made a few stacks of everything I needed, reskilled my character and had enough to roam every day. Mind you in MK I actually had to look out for griefers. So Haven will be much more effective.

Anyway, I think I have discussed this to the point where it does not make sense to continue. I´m glad that some understood the purpose of this thread and contributed in a meaningful way.

I hope SV stays the course this time and does not give in towards the main stream. With the competition out there it´s good to have unique features.

Last edited:

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The arguments against recreation of characters in Haven are in most posts based on blood ore and waterstone. Another simple idea: Just remove both books from Haven's library and let both skills require a book instead of auto learning.

And about wood: Remove all dapplewood trees from Haven. Just use the trees with simple wood.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Make sure all materials there is low tier, with starter uses and limit how much gold per hour you can farm.
The arguments against recreation of characters in Haven are in most posts based on blood ore and waterstone. Another simple idea: Just remove both books from Haven's library and let both skills require a book instead of auto learning.

And about wood: Remove all dapplewood trees from Haven. Just use the trees with simple wood.
Yeah they should really limit the materials to the very basic. Maybe remove granum altogether and leave saburra only. Also why are there horned scales, molarium, ironbone, silk, etc.? Leave noobs with emalj, leather or keelled scales. No need for mid tier mats in Haven.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
There's just no valid reason to prevent players bringing everything they have from Haven to Myrland.

Taking everything away from new players is a surefire way to make them quit the game, and the idea that someone will pay for a new account simply to make a new character, level up all his gathering skills, gather loads of resources just to transport them to the mainland only to delete the character and do it all over again is just laughable.

No one is going to do that.

Even if their was a few people that were so afraid of loss that they did do exactly that, the number would be so insignificant that taking everything away from new players is not a justified solution.
This has more or less been my argument as to why i say they need "More" things to do in the start of the game rather then "Less"

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
soo i might be stupid, but how to f do i leave haven?!

At a house wall you can find several statues with signs like "change to Bakti" for the different cities of Myrland. Press R at a statue for 20 or 30 seconds while the circle fills. Then you get logged out and you have to log in again to enter the selected city.

Nesato

Nov 26, 2020
From Portugal
This is just my opinion but overall, I would like to remind the major reason why Haven was needed: to accommodate new players. Without Haven the whole point of making the game more accessible to a higher population and more inviting to new players without any previous knowledge or that never tried the genre before would crumble.
Though I think there is ways to control it so Haven won't unbalance the rest of Nave economics and wont be a grind carrier.
Options I would ponder over would be: having trade unavailable in Haven, being unable to carry over raw mats to Nave. So that way you could make your equip if you were an armorer, your weapons if you you're a blacksmith, prepare rations, save some money, get a pet but not carry over raw materials.
Forbidding trade would block a major community feature in the game, though carrying nothing over at all would make most people just wanna skip haven and eventually there would be the misconception of just skipping it and then we'd be back at stage one of players missing out on the game basics. Even now I still feel like Haven tutorials should either be voiced or more didactic.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Remove the bank. Entirely. That is the only change needed. People shouldn't be in Haven long enough to need a bank. They should be able to get a few small rewards from completing the tutorial they can take to the mainland though.

Reactions: BleckCat