Guess its a goodbye

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
Im not over reacting to this guard tower change.
It indeed destroyed the game we had before.
I agree it destroyed the game we had before. But the game before was extremely flawed for allowing players to progress past the noob stage. I recently rerolled my character to lose my murderer status and I have to say, the game feels much better with the guarded zones on roads. I dont have to worry about being ganked doing something as simple as killing some bush pigs outside town while naked, or mining some basic rocks.
One thing i noticed is that the guard towers are actually quite far from each other on the roads and its still easy for murderers to attack and pincer noobs. It just requires better coordination and scouting than before.

Playing the game as a "new player" is significantly more enjoyable now. As someone who is also a murderer on my other account, its still quite enjoyable since my gameplay loop was never ganking noobs outside town anyways. You can still find less guarded areas between towns that players move through and can still murder people just fine, you just cant do it directly outside the gates. I dont see the problem with this. Guards should still not one shot me if I accidently move slightly into range though. its sooo lame.

You and other people are definitely overreacting over the new zones because now you have to do more planning and work to kill players near town. But also, players feel safer and carry more loot between towns with the recent changes so we can benefit more as murderers getting the quality ganks in.

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
They created Haven for a reason...
Bringing Haven to mainland was never in the core idea.

Being killed and dry looted near starter towns really sucks, but its part of the learning curve.
If you stop and think about it a little bit, will notice that this isnt in the way everyone usually draws up on the commentaries...
The gankers dont stay forever in one position... just wait a little bit in town, do something else, and later you try to exit again...
Or spam on the world help chat their location and soon they get swarmed by "heroes"...
Or simply choose a different route.

There were always tons of ways to avoid killers...
The worst possible way to prevent this is by adding systems forcing some kind of behavior to players... adding safe areas.

If you re new, maybe I cant convince you, because you re coming from one of those garbages MMOs out there and feels like home now, everything is normal to you...

But if you knew Mortal Online from before, answer my question :

When was MO2 better ?

1- Back on february 2022 ?
2 - Today ?

Do such research and try to explain when you see the results...

On 2022, this game had no pathetic safe areas and no ridiculous one shot killing guards.
But it was far better than today.
Guess why
Your argument is "the game was better then". When "better" is entirely subjective.

What evidence shows it was "better" ? More people's opinions? Yet look where the game ended up; didn't exactly take off now did it?

The game's failure indicates the game was on a poor trajectory, now, i can't say it is certainly because it was too unfriendly to new players, because correlation is not always causation, however, it certainly could be because of that.

See, your learning curve argument doesn't factor something in.

Too much chaos = stress. Too much order = boredom. Somewhere inbetween order and chaos, you have interest/excitement.

How does that apply here?

When the learning curve is more of vertical line, you are putting too much stress on the average player. You have to give them a reason to want to keep going, if you just give them stress, they will quit. You have to make them feel like they're progressing. At the same time, you don't want it too easy, because if it is too easy, it becomes boring.

These guard towers take some of the steepness out of the curve. They give a new player a chance to feel some progress whilst also still feel some stress; thus creating excitement. It needs to be in the middle, and then when they're ready for the really dangerous stuff, they can venture further out into the world when they feel being near the town becomes too ordered. It eases people into the game nicely, but also isn't devoid of any threat. Notice, the further you get away from the towns, the more spaced out the towers are. They did that on purpose.

You do not want your average player getting too stressed, because you need that average player. What you want is the curve to be as steep as it can be without overly stressing the average player. You must compromise for the average player if you want a successful game, but not so much the game loses all identity. It has to walk a fine line, and i think what they're doing with the towers is a smart move.

Tzone

May 16, 2021

Being killed and dry looted near starter towns really sucks, but its part of the learning curve.
If you stop and think about it a little bit, will notice that this isnt in the way everyone usually draws up on the commentaries...
The gankers dont stay forever in one position... just wait a little bit in town, do something else, and later you try to exit again...
Or spam on the world help chat their location and soon they get swarmed by "heroes"...

The worst possible way to prevent this is by adding systems forcing some kind of behavior to players... adding safe areas.

If you re new, maybe I cant convince you, because you re coming from one of those garbages MMOs out there and feels like home now, everything is normal to you...

When was MO2 better ?

2 - Today ?

On 2022, this game had no pathetic safe areas and no ridiculous one shot killing guards.
Guess why
They need more routes out of town so not just 1 person can camp a entire town.

The other issue with gankers is that people are lazy and stupid. idk how people are getting ganked, just look around, keep your head on a swivel.

Your cursor will show you the names of anyone in a bush up to 20m away. Just scan everybush and run your cursor over the crest of hills.

manure

May 7, 2022
ALright, lets go !

First, replying to Weis : Its good that you agree on the ridiculous "one shot kill" by guards outside towns.
Despite I hate guards outside towns, I would accept them, if they werent invincible, AND, if they didnt one shot kill you !!! This insta kill non sense crap is wrong in many ways... It doesnt only screws with PKs, but with ritualists, or even with people who "accidently" lost reputation and just wants to pass peacefully on the roads...

But you re wrong when you say playing as a "new player" is more enjoyable now... it feels like a candy land. No danger on every corner... Thats not the core of this game.
Im sorry, but I disagree. And Im sure almost everyone who came to this game in 2022 expected something DIFFERENT from all other MMOs out there... If they didnt want danger, they would stay on those ordinary MMO garbages...

Replying to Sally now : You asked me about evidence showing the game was better back then.
Sure. WHat about "number of players" ?
Do you think it is coincidence that when this game had those hardcore rules in the past it had MUCH MUCH MUCH more people playing than nowadays ?

MO2 started great, and was slowly decaying, patch by patch... All because our beloved Devs dont have the patience (or will) to read their very own players on the forums, and decide to implement all kinds of stuff nobody EVER asked, ignoring what people have always begged (Content)...

What reason did they have to never add Thieving ? Or breeding ? Or tailoring ? Or aquatic monsters ? Or boats ? and so on.....

NO.. They preferred to add GUARDS AND GUARDS AND GUARDS AND GUARDS ALL OVER.... First they destroyed MEDULI... Do you remember when they added Elite guards all around Meduli, even inside the cemetery ?? We lost hundreds of players on that very occasion.

You also speak about lot of chaos = stress.... But what chaos ? Getting PKed (on an advertised full loot game) is chaos to you ??
Let me tell you something... In my beginning I died a lot... Lost several good stuff.. EVEN INSIDE TOWNS....
I learned by my mistakes... Never happened twice !

Thats what you do...Use your brains to avoid mistakes.
Are you getting PKed near starter town ? Why dont you wait a little bit before leaving this town ? PKs wont stay forever at a spot... Why dont you ask for help on HELP chat ? The PKs would get swarmed.... Lots of things could be done.
Its much more interesting than depending on NPC guards or safe areas...

Anyway, thanks for the replies...
I am not playing too much these days, but havent quit yet. I log in the pay the house upkeep and do some tests... Still have hopes they will at least weaken the guards outside towns.

To tell you the truth, what I really am waiting for is Thieving... If they apply it someday, I surely am gonna pay the subscription and continue playing... But if it never comes, ill stay out and wait for another Mortal Online game (without safe areas).
Lets see what happens.

Please, Devs, at least make those guards a little bit weaker !
Even those who hate PKs agree that its lame to have a NPC one shot killing people !

Reactions: Tzone

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
It doesnt only screws with PKs, but with ritualists, or even with people who "accidently" lost reputation and just wants to pass peacefully on the roads...

I got into negative standing being not carefull and I got trolled by blue players spaming houses on our land it spiraled down quickly geting killed by guards roaming with my guild to close to towns.There is no practical way to fix those standings.Kranesh task vendor gave me Khurite standings,lol.Running with parcels through enemy territory is impossible.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I still think its sad that people keep crying about how this is not the large scale battle simulator that they really wanted...

When i was 15 the pvp was a huge factor for me to get into mo1, but it wasnt for the pvp, it was all because of the package in it, a mysterious land that resembles our own, with similar yet exotic creatures that you can fight or tame, to venture in a world filled with hidden misterys...
yea i even downloaded mo1 again just to see if i was mistaken but nope... the game feals like an open map on a UE4/5 project... the magic is gone, and i dont think its because its super hidden... i think its just not there... i mean even a basic UE3 demon spawn looked epic... how hard could you fail your own lore?

The pvp i dream about is not the medieval battlefield everyone is crying about... but this....

you can skip to 1:45, if you just want a straight answer.
That is what an open world MMORPG should be.... if you just want pvp... mortal royale is still up last time i checked...
Exactly this. Mo2 has no soul

Reactions: Tzone and grilo

grilo

Aug 12, 2020

When was MO2 better ?

2 - Today ?

Guess why
game changed? weird didnt even noticed.... well all these years and they never acted as if they care about you or me... gl enjoy i guess.l

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
ALright, lets go !

First, replying to Weis : Its good that you agree on the ridiculous "one shot kill" by guards outside towns.
Despite I hate guards outside towns, I would accept them, if they werent invincible, AND, if they didnt one shot kill you !!! This insta kill non sense crap is wrong in many ways... It doesnt only screws with PKs, but with ritualists, or even with people who "accidently" lost reputation and just wants to pass peacefully on the roads...

But you re wrong when you say playing as a "new player" is more enjoyable now... it feels like a candy land. No danger on every corner... Thats not the core of this game.
Im sorry, but I disagree. And Im sure almost everyone who came to this game in 2022 expected something DIFFERENT from all other MMOs out there... If they didnt want danger, they would stay on those ordinary MMO garbages...

Replying to Sally now : You asked me about evidence showing the game was better back then.
Sure. WHat about "number of players" ?
Do you think it is coincidence that when this game had those hardcore rules in the past it had MUCH MUCH MUCH more people playing than nowadays ?

MO2 started great, and was slowly decaying, patch by patch... All because our beloved Devs dont have the patience (or will) to read their very own players on the forums, and decide to implement all kinds of stuff nobody EVER asked, ignoring what people have always begged (Content)...

What reason did they have to never add Thieving ? Or breeding ? Or tailoring ? Or aquatic monsters ? Or boats ? and so on.....

NO.. They preferred to add GUARDS AND GUARDS AND GUARDS AND GUARDS ALL OVER.... First they destroyed MEDULI... Do you remember when they added Elite guards all around Meduli, even inside the cemetery ?? We lost hundreds of players on that very occasion.

You also speak about lot of chaos = stress.... But what chaos ? Getting PKed (on an advertised full loot game) is chaos to you ??
Let me tell you something... In my beginning I died a lot... Lost several good stuff.. EVEN INSIDE TOWNS....
I learned by my mistakes... Never happened twice !

Thats what you do...Use your brains to avoid mistakes.
Are you getting PKed near starter town ? Why dont you wait a little bit before leaving this town ? PKs wont stay forever at a spot... Why dont you ask for help on HELP chat ? The PKs would get swarmed.... Lots of things could be done.
Its much more interesting than depending on NPC guards or safe areas...

Anyway, thanks for the replies...
I am not playing too much these days, but havent quit yet. I log in the pay the house upkeep and do some tests... Still have hopes they will at least weaken the guards outside towns.

To tell you the truth, what I really am waiting for is Thieving... If they apply it someday, I surely am gonna pay the subscription and continue playing... But if it never comes, ill stay out and wait for another Mortal Online game (without safe areas).
Lets see what happens.

Please, Devs, at least make those guards a little bit weaker !
Even those who hate PKs agree that its lame to have a NPC one shot killing people !
Given that we both played this game back when people could just kill anyone outside of towns, for us, clearly we can handle it. But the average person isn't as tolerant. They are less likely to blame themselves for their failure, and more likely to blame the game.

Most people are weak and pathetic by nature, preferring to push responsibility of their failings externally, and they lie to themselves so they don't ever come to terms with the discomfort of realizing that fact.

Your average player is this person. Am i saying compromise the game completely? No. But i'm saying give a bit of slack to let the average person get into the game.

When i say "chaos", i mean you overload a person, and punish them harshly for failure.

Let us say i wanted you to do brain surgery, and i just threw you in at the surgeons table and told you to learn by experience. I didn't tell you about the tools or anything.. Then, when you killed this person, because you didn't know what you were doing, you lose your job. Alternatively. I could slowly teach you piece by piece until you're ready. Until you know what each tool is for, and you learn how to perform the surgery in theory before practice. You can make mistakes without losing everything, and potentially killing someone.

Which is a better learning environment? Which is more stressful?

Which environment do you think would be more likely to allow the average player to stay?

As far as i can see? I've had no issues ganking people in open world, but i'm not the type to sit all day outside of a town and gank people on the road, i usually just kill people opportunistically. I just don't kill people near towers, i wait for them to move away from the tower, then i kill them.. i don't understand why that is so awful for people. They hardly even have any range, like, less than a 100 metres. I honestly think you're being over dramatic here. The game isn't that impacted by towers.

Bandits just have to go a bit further away from towns, and there is plenty of space to kill someone between towers. Sure, on the doorstep? It is significantly harder.. It is essentially just an extension of the radius of the town, but it just gives a few thousand metres of breathing room for beginners.. That being said, it still isn't 100% safe for them, just gets harder on the attacker the closer to town they are.

You're acting like you can't kill people on the roads anymore, but you very much can. You just have to relocate further from town.

And let's be real.. This game is inspired by medieval times.. Do you honestly think they'd let bandits sit on the doorstep of a town? Even from an immersion standpoint, it makes more sense that the roads are guarded close to town.

manure

May 7, 2022
I still think its sad that people keep crying about how this is not the large scale battle simulator that they really wanted...

When i was 15 the pvp was a huge factor for me to get into mo1, but it wasnt for the pvp, it was all because of the package in it, a mysterious land that resembles our own, with similar yet exotic creatures that you can fight or tame, to venture in a world filled with hidden misterys...
yea i even downloaded mo1 again just to see if i was mistaken but nope... the game feals like an open map on a UE4/5 project... the magic is gone, and i dont think its because its super hidden... i think its just not there... i mean even a basic UE3 demon spawn looked epic... how hard could you fail your own lore?

The pvp i dream about is not the medieval battlefield everyone is crying about... but this....

you can skip to 1:45, if you just want a straight answer.
That is what an open world MMORPG should be.... if you just want pvp... mortal royale is still up last time i checked...
Yes man... Very good old times.... Mortal Online 1 was FAAAAAAR better than what we have today.
Im talking about the rules, not graphics.

We have all kinds of players... cities filled with thieves, roads filled with marauders, heroes and player protectors everywhere... You found action on every corner of the game.

They slowly destroyed MO1 as well... It looks like history always repeats.
The game is great and almost perfect in the beginning...and slowly is destroyed until players do give up and it dies....

Even the PUSHING rules were better in MO1.... I remember in Morin Khur, I used to push AFK players from bank to the cliff border and then "boom"... I ran down there to collect my honorable loot !! mwuahahah
Funny times !

HELL... Now, even pushing makes us criminals !! You cant even PUSH people 3 times without a ridiculous one shot elite guard killing you.
WHAT A BORE !!

manure

May 7, 2022
Given that we both played this game back when people could just kill anyone outside of towns, for us, clearly we can handle it. But the average person isn't as tolerant. They are less likely to blame themselves for their failure, and more likely to blame the game.

Most people are weak and pathetic by nature, preferring to push responsibility of their failings externally, and they lie to themselves so they don't ever come to terms with the discomfort of realizing that fact.

Your average player is this person. Am i saying compromise the game completely? No. But i'm saying give a bit of slack to let the average person get into the game.

When i say "chaos", i mean you overload a person, and punish them harshly for failure.

Let us say i wanted you to do brain surgery, and i just threw you in at the surgeons table and told you to learn by experience. I didn't tell you about the tools or anything.. Then, when you killed this person, because you didn't know what you were doing, you lose your job. Alternatively. I could slowly teach you piece by piece until you're ready. Until you know what each tool is for, and you learn how to perform the surgery in theory before practice. You can make mistakes without losing everything, and potentially killing someone.

Which is a better learning environment? Which is more stressful?

Which environment do you think would be more likely to allow the average player to stay?

As far as i can see? I've had no issues ganking people in open world, but i'm not the type to sit all day outside of a town and gank people on the road, i usually just kill people opportunistically. I just don't kill people near towers, i wait for them to move away from the tower, then i kill them.. i don't understand why that is so awful for people. They hardly even have any range, like, less than a 100 metres. I honestly think you're being over dramatic here. The game isn't that impacted by towers.

Bandits just have to go a bit further away from towns, and there is plenty of space to kill someone between towers. Sure, on the doorstep? It is significantly harder.. It is essentially just an extension of the radius of the town, but it just gives a few thousand metres of breathing room for beginners.. That being said, it still isn't 100% safe for them, just gets harder on the attacker the closer to town they are.

You're acting like you can't kill people on the roads anymore, but you very much can. You just have to relocate further from town.

And let's be real.. This game is inspired by medieval times.. Do you honestly think they'd let bandits sit on the doorstep of a town? Even from an immersion standpoint, it makes more sense that the roads are guarded close to town.
I agree that someone should learn the rules and practice before doing something... But thats why Haven exists... You cant bring a newbie and expect to train him where veterans want to strike ! He must learn on the learning areas, not on the roads outside town.
Why do we have Haven then ? Erase that realm and bring new characters directly to mainland.

Lets be real... Too many guards kills the immersion... I agree that some towns should have more guards than others.. but there should be enough room for criminals to walk even inside towns, on alleys, without being insta killed.... Why not adding LINE OF SIGHT to guards ? And why do the guards must be ultra super powerful with insta killing shots ?
Make it so that its at least possible to escape once a guard spots you...

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Every one who played mo1 says it was better. besides the obvious graphics. Im looking at MO1 content saw some friends play it and yeah its much better. I never played MO1 but have watched my friends play it and it just looks so much cooler atmospheric wise. It just looks cool.

SV cares so much about these flavor of the month carebears that they will kill the game to try and romance them into a game they wont play more then a couple hundred hours. Look at their comments "30 bucks is worth the 40 hours I will get out of the game". Untill this game has toggle PvP these people will never be happy. Trying to compromise between PvPers and carebears never works and just makes you have less PvPers and the same amount of quiting carebears barely playing more then a month of this game.

MO2 alpha/beta was a much more fun game with its loose punishments for PvP. Most of the time the PvP is both sides consenting or self defense where the winner gets punished. Its less harmfull now due to task but this babying of weak pathetic people just ruins the game. People that dont even contribute greatly to the games population.

I know a guild that brought 30 people into this game and they played on average at least 20 hours a week each. The guild leader had to apologize for wasting his peoples time by bringing them to mo2 because how much sieging sucks ass. You siege a player and this game is so carebear that you cant even get the reward for doing so until 2plus days later.
SV just lost around 60 subs and 2400 player hours per month because sieging sucks and is pointless in a sieging game.
The guild Content with similar numbers also quit for the similar reason and went back to Albion online.

Why is SV catering to people that have existential crisis over pixels? That sounds like the most clear waste of time to me, a unacheivable goal at the expense of long term loyal multiple account subbing customers

• Love
Reactions: manure and Teknique

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
ALright, lets go !

First, replying to Weis :

The game is still full of extreme danger around every corner. New players are still getting ganked outside of towns, on roads, in dungeons, at farming spots, etc... So the New player experience is much better since you can fast track the Clade grind on Task missions, get starting gold easier, and are able to progress in the early phases much faster.

My evidence of this is that my new initiate retention rate is much higher. Players joining my guild are buying subs because they are able to actually progress. In the past, I lost tons of players before they can even get through the initiate trials because the game was far too unrewarding for the amount of risk and time spent.

To your other point not quoted here, the steam player count isn't evidence that the game was "better" before. The game was in rapid decline after release because lack of content and lack of new player progression. If the game released in its current state instead, we would have twice as many active players at least. Maybe more.

I remember in game release I had to fight to get outside of town just to pick flowers to save money in bakti for a horse... It took hours for me to progress to that point. Even then, leaving town I had to ride through 50+ players murdering each other constantly like it was actually the Fifth Circle of hell. Dying with my horse at that moment meant resetting my progress an entire day. Definitely not the kind of early game progress you can consider "better" than what we have now.

Reactions: Jethub

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
To say mo1 was perfect in the start is delusional, I was there and it was a mess and basically the nr 1 reason it never took off.
The market was there back than also, see darkfall release (was a mess too but the game was good) but back than mo1 was so below darkfall standard that hardly anyone stayed.

But you can post all day long that the reason it was so good was the pk gankbox it was and that thievery made so many ppl play when you basically know you are all wrong but nice stories nevertheless.

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
To say mo1 was perfect in the start is delusional
The delusion about what MO2 needs is kind of wild across the board. People really are out of touch with game design concepts.

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
The delusion about what MO2 needs is kind of wild across the board. People really are out of touch with game design concepts.
That's true. The thing is sadly due to many failed sandbox full loot games and the non sandbox way most mmos took after the rise of wow and the fall of bigger sandboxes like swg most think the few sandbox mmos there are, are a all about just killing stuff and that anyone enjoys danger everywhere which is just pure nonsense.

With the stupid nature so many gamers have a sandbox is only as good as it's rulesets (sadly) and having killing everywhere even in town and best without consequences on top just make a failed game. This has been proven countless times and yet evertime this vocal minority lurks around trying to ruin every sandbox that's no pure gankbox game.

I mean just look at MO2 at like 99% of the map you still can slaughter all you want but with consequences and yet wannabe pks still one the other 1% and yet again no consequences whatsoever because it's so 'carebear' style... Oh my gosh 😱

Reactions: Doom and Gloom

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
With the stupid nature so many gamers have a sandbox is only as good as it's rulesets (sadly) and having killing everywhere even in town and best without consequences on top just make a failed game. This has been proven countless times and yet evertime this vocal minority lurks around trying to ruin every sandbox that's no pure gankbox game.
A true full loot MMO game has only a small fraction of the playerbase that MMOs have, even then, MMOs are an even smaller fraction of the gaming playerbase. Josh Strife talks a lot about how these games fail BECAUSE they dont appeal to the casual playerbase. So Starvault making these changes inherently helps the playerbase grow. even if it pisses off the veterans.

You can see that video im talking about here:
MO2 is still dangerous, even if they removed more of the danger, the "percieved danger" alone is enough to keep the dangerous element of the game alive.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Problem is that those new player which are always welcome after few weeks gonna be veterans and realize all the game machanics flaws and quit.We vetarans are sentimental about MO it is big part of our life that is why we care and still play it.

Reactions: Tzone

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
That's true. The thing is sadly due to many failed sandbox full loot games and the non sandbox way most mmos took after the rise of wow and the fall of bigger sandboxes like swg most think the few sandbox mmos there are, are a all about just killing stuff and that anyone enjoys danger everywhere which is just pure nonsense.

I mean just look at MO2 at like 99% of the map you still can slaughter all you want but with consequences and yet wannabe pks still one the other 1% and yet again no consequences whatsoever because it's so 'carebear' style... Oh my gosh 😱
I think this issue is framed poorly by both dissenters and fan girls. The issue isn’t safety it’s one issue in a sea of glaring issues. I understand there’s room for safe areas in an mmo see Albion see eve online. The issue is how poorly managed the game is in general. Obviously teleporting lictor guards are terrible, one shot elite guards everywhere isn’t great. These however are minor issues relative to the fact that the game has you “running” across a gigantic map, looking at ugly ass assets, a bunch of useless classes in the game that feel horrible to play, farming gold feels awful, pve feels awful, the bugs, the cheating. And yes mo1 did most of these things better. No one said it’s perfect except maybe the straw man said that.

People on both sides who want to make this a safety issue are missing the mark entirely

Reactions: Doom and Gloom

grilo

Aug 12, 2020
i have 1 simple tip that would improve the game by a lot, make many people come back, and many others join... and stop the mindless pvp and create meaningfull pvp

you get your points for your build right?... after that you should be able to keep leveling the rest, but substancialy lose skill points on the (extra) skills when you die.

manure

May 7, 2022
i have 1 simple tip that would improve the game by a lot, make many people come back, and many others join... and stop the mindless pvp and create meaningfull pvp

you get your points for your build right?... after that you should be able to keep leveling the rest, but substancialy lose skill points on the (extra) skills when you die.
Good idea.
But im sure people would start complaining after a while and they would have to either remove the extra points or keep them "unloseable" !!

After all, losing skill points always sucks, even "extras" !! Hehehehe