Flagging system changes, just my 2 cents again.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
They should just make the blue towns and graveyard instanced and with pvp off. They already took away all the sandbox elements of having it on the open world, there is no militia or anti rpk player interaction anymore, just ppl dueling inside.

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
Outside of towns, correct.

This isn't really advisable. There needs to be consequences/downsides to RPK to throttle the number of people willing to put up with it. The reason for this is that it inconveniences other players who may want to play in a sandbox full-loot pvp world, but don't neccessarily want to pvp full time, which I believe this is a very large number of players. They understand it is a full pvp, full loot world, that is part of what makes it fun, but sometimes you just wanna go kill some bandits and bears, ya know?

If you scare away too many carebears, then the economy has problems and such.

Sandbox games basically need to be like 20% wolves, 80% sheep, or somethin. (Just made up numbers, for example sake).

I think having no consequences could work if there was some kind of stealth/runaway skill that would help carebears have a chance, but as of right now, if you're not ready for even a 1v1 fight, you're dead, (and lucky if you get a 1v1 fight in a lot of areas).

I think people should absolutely be able to RPK, but because of the impact on other players, it needs to have significant downside.

I think just a standard UO style murder count Red and Rep system is ideal, worked well.

And Eve's system works pretty well too. (There are still downsides despite 0.0 space being open game, and there are a lot more ways to avoid pvp than in MO, i.e. scanners, cloaks, warp core stabs, etc)

• Haha
Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
This isn't really advisable. There needs to be consequences/downsides to RPK to throttle the number of people willing to put up with it. The reason for this is that it inconveniences other players who may want to play in a sandbox full-loot pvp world, but don't neccessarily want to pvp full time, which I believe this is a very large number of players. They understand it is a full pvp, full loot world, that is part of what makes it fun, but sometimes you just wanna go kill some bandits and bears, ya know?

If you scare away too many carebears, then the economy has problems and such.

Sandbox games basically need to be like 20% wolves, 80% sheep, or somethin. (Just made up numbers, for example sake).

I think having no consequences could work if there was some kind of stealth/runaway skill that would help carebears have a chance, but as of right now, if you're not ready for even a 1v1 fight, you're dead, (and lucky if you get a 1v1 fight in a lot of areas).

I think people should absolutely be able to RPK, but because of the impact on other players, it needs to have significant downside.

I think just a standard UO style murder count Red and Rep system is ideal, worked well.

And Eve's system works pretty well too. (There are still downsides despite 0.0 space being open game, and there are a lot more ways to avoid pvp than in MO, i.e. scanners, cloaks, warp core stabs, etc)

UO is garbage get over it.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
That's called murder.
Not if nobody was there to witness it out in the wild and it may have not really happened. Anyone can go over to the priest and say "Valoran MURDERED me!!!!!". Why cant I just repeatedly kill myself and give you MC? Its no different to the priest.

Your solution for the flagging system is to give zero downside to RPK?
No. Because if they make outside guardzone lawless, they can make doing crimes even more punishing inside them. Would create 0 griefing, wouldnt be worth it. Then they could even make Gy guarded if they want to protect nubs.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
If a guard didnt see it, it didnt happen. If a player didnt report it, then it didnt happen.

Sounds great. You can put a scout guard in the GY that auto reports players. And then you just make the punishment for getting caught by guard harsher and the punishment for Player reports can be lesser.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Reguardless it seems like there is overlap of both sides in this thread wanting no MC/rep loss outside of towns. With some conditions that could include a reporting system and harsher punishments from being seen by a guard as a criminal.

I really want guard outpost because it would help the weaker players smaller groups have some hope of survival when they come across larger or more capable groups.

I just dont think that MOST of these camps should report you and that fighting them as a red player should be a option. Its just a NPC advantage that weaker players can run to for back up.

Some of these camps should have reporting guards. Or if you fail to wipe a entire camp out or kill its leader in a certain time you get punished.

Punushments should be rep still even MCs from guards if caught.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
A well thought out and intelligent response to the various points I made.
I'm sorry but i can't take anyone that wants to copypaste mechanics from UO or Eve or any other game seriously, specially when not understanding the nature of mortal's problematics. You make a troll comment and i'll do another.

Reguardless it seems like there is overlap of both sides in this thread wanting no MC/rep loss outside of towns. With some conditions that could include a reporting system and harsher punishments from being seen by a guard as a criminal.

I really want guard outpost because it would help the weaker players smaller groups have some hope of survival when they come across larger or more capable groups.

I just dont think that MOST of these camps should report you and that fighting them as a red player should be a option. Its just a NPC advantage that weaker players can run to for back up.

Some of these camps should have reporting guards. Or if you fail to wipe a entire camp out or kill its leader in a certain time you get punished.

Punushments should be rep still even MCs from guards if caught.

Maybe a solution for guard/report and utility for camps could be different camp tiers.

Lets say small outposts will defend innocents but won't let you report. But organized relatively small mid sized groups could clean up a camp of this size. A common camp, that could even have 1 type of vendor, like 2 extraction appliances and x guards.

Then a 2nd tier camp thats proportionally larger still with no report capacity.

And then a tier 3 one thats a little larger or equal to t2 but it has a criminal reporting NPC.

All these camps scattered somewhat proportionally away from towns.

The amount of camps could be discussed but i'd Say at least 3-5 T3 camps in whole Nave, 5 T2 and 5 T1.

But it would be really fucking important where these camps are placed. You don't wanna over nanny the wilderness.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
you know its a video game right?
Yes I do, but do you realize it's a video game with a set world design that is meant to have consequences for actions?

I'm assuming your point is "It's a game, games are supposed to be fun, and this isn't fun" which again just forces me to reiterate what I and so many others in the past have said:

As stated ad nauseam by Henrik, it's not a PvP game. It's a sandbox MMORPG.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
You do realize that the number of unsolved murders and homicides out number the number of solved cases by a large margin. Do you realize why that is? Because there is no evidence or lack of evidence. In this case in a game where there is no cell network or magical beacon system to tell when a person dies in the wild and what kills them. What is the difference between you dying to a wolf or a player bandit or a NPC bandit? There is ZERO difference when it is outside of town.
There is always one witness to the murder, the victim.

When the priest resurrects your spirit, you tell them what happened and who killed you.

It might be anti sandbox, but thankfully there is no way to lie to the priest in game so the only way to report someone is if they actually killed you.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
There is always one witness to the murder, the victim.

When the priest resurrects your spirit, you tell them what happened and who killed you.

It might be anti sandbox, but thankfully there is no way to lie to the priest in game so the only way to report someone is if they actually killed you.

So what if you dont see who kills you in game? I have killed people who have been out of name range, what would they say to the priest.... "that guy who was about 120m away... I didnt see him, but yeah thats the guy... he signed his name on his longbow arrows which are still stuck in my body, 10km away.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yes I do, but do you realize it's a video game with a set world design that is meant to have consequences for actions?

I'm assuming your point is "It's a game, games are supposed to be fun, and this isn't fun" which again just forces me to reiterate what I and so many others in the past have said:

As stated ad nauseam by Henrik, it's not a PvP game. It's a sandbox MMORPG.
I wonder why the game us dying right now after you remove so much pvp content.

Henrik can say what ever he wants. If its a sand box then the players decide what type of game it is. PvP is whats holding this game up. PvP is this games soul pillar and the other content is extra with how barebones it is.

Actions gave consequences, defend your self out in the open world get harsh punishment because game crime systems cant understand context.

Henriks has consequences for his actions as well but refuses to see it.

If its a sandbox then why is most of the game NPCs doing things that players should be doing?

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
I'm sorry but i can't take anyone that wants to copypaste mechanics from UO or Eve or any other game seriously, specially when not understanding the nature of mortal's problematics. You make a troll comment and i'll do another.

Oh, you're one of those people -- if someone says something you don't agree with, they're just trolling. Cool, got it. Real big brain up in here.

Reactions: Hodo and TheOxMan

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Oh, you're one of those people -- if someone says something you don't agree with, they're just trolling. Cool, got it. Real big brain up in here.
Sorry it's not that i don't agree with you, im just a little tired of the tourist carebear noob type of player that casually suggests MO to have UO criminal system. Precisely that doesn't bring anything to the table. But ill go ahead and answer you, in MO1 they tried a somewhat similar punishment system to UO, long story short it did not work well and it got almost" completly bypassed by other mechanics and nobody complained. That is the reason im guessing SV turned the page on MO2 and wanted to get something a little better, but its definitely not being the case.

Reactions: TheOxMan

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
Im sorry it's not that i don't agree with you, im just a little tired of the tourist carebear noob type of player that casually suggests MO to have UO criminal system. Precisely that doesn't bring anything to the table. But ill go ahead and answer you, in MO1 they tried a somewhat similar punishment system to UO, long story short it did not work well and it got almost" completly bypassed by other mechanics and nobody complained. That is the reason im guessing SV turned the page on MO2 and wanted to get something a little better, but its definitely not being the case.

I appreciate the actual reply! Yeah, I know it was similar, but I think it was simpler than UOs (no karma/rep), but that's neither here nor there, cause I essentially agree with you, it isn't perfect. I should have really just argued that it was better than what we have now, which is, of course, debatable.

Also, props on the Rewind profile image. I have blown people out with it so many times in my life, lmao.

Reactions: TheOxMan

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I appreciate the actual reply! Yeah, I know it was similar, but I think it was simpler than UOs (no karma/rep), but that's neither here nor there, cause I essentially agree with you, it isn't perfect. I should have really just argued that it was better than what we have now, which is, of course, debatable.

Also, props on the Rewind profile image. I have blown people out with it so many times in my life, lmao.
Yes it wasnt an exact copy but that wouldn't have made things better either. UO had nice concepts and mechanics for its time but mortal even tho has some things that are similar to UO Its a completly different universe with all the things that come with that.
You can only compare the systems efficiency in It's original context and it wouldn't be fair to asume they are better just because they worked (or not) in ultima or any other game.
Thats the reason i dislike plain and simple mechanic extrapolation comparisons with other games.
Now it is debatable which system is more efficient in what's supposed to be doing, if we compare MO1 and MO2 they are similar but not the same. Like said before many things didn't work in MO1, law and flagging system was one of those things, the community aknowledged it and apparently the devs though so aswell otherwise we would be having the same system.

I think a big part of the problem is the concept of conflict balance (PVP and non consensual PVP), which is completly directed towards crippling criminal playstyle without giving the counterpart content or tools to do better. So they keep adding layers of tediousness instead of making things better for the ones that need it, that vision or concept about development does nothing but to alienate the community and instead of balance we end up discussing ways to make things worse for certain playstyles.
Often the people i see discussing in this forum can't abbandon the morality chipset unable to look at shit in a more objective manner and end up cheering up missguided development.
Now, is bounty hunting supposed to be that tool for noobs, blue, solo and small groups to thrive? Hardly...

Rewind yeah, its great. Not many nerds noticed lmao.

Last edited: