Feedback - The current UI is a step down from MO1

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I understand this is obviously personal preference and highly subjective, however I believe that the current main UI elements such as the player name and status bars, target information and the compass are all a step down from MO1s UI in regards to visual appeal.

Here is the current player name and status bars UI:
d6354e88b02eee8026142877e14f872e.png

Target information:
b3b36d78be2c50c3513abedaed999e9d.png
5291ac30c41869a9def19c2e76473900.png

Compass:
adcef175637fab4d8476af8cea211f22.png

Lets compare these to how I have my UI set up in MO1:
9491c5b8d1ee6d2c798384a6c4daa28c.png

In my opinion, the MO1 UI is far superior aesthetically and looks much more in line with the world and setting of the game.

Having an actual compass is also much nicer and more immersive, opposed to the very "gamey" sliding one we have at the moment.

I also heavily dislike the red haze that is behind all the text in the new UI, personally I find it very ugly and not appealing.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
First off I wanna say. This is still alpha. Those could be place holders. They are super simple in UE to change around. The focus is combat atm, give them time and those I'm sure will change. I agree to what your saying but we havent pasted combat alpha for them to focus on small details like UI isnt as important as the core foundations PVP, PVE, and player interactions.

Give em time! I love the feedback!!

Valoran

May 28, 2020
First off I wanna say. This is still alpha. Those could be place holders. They are super simple in UE to change around. The focus is combat atm, give them time and those I'm sure will change. I agree to what your saying but we havent pasted combat alpha for them to focus on small details like UI isnt as important as the core foundations PVP, PVE, and player interactions.

Give em time! I love the feedback!!
Although I would normally agree, I specifically asked if these UI elements were placeholder at the start of the alpha and was told that no they were not.

However of course things can change, and obviously although this is not the main focus of the alpha, their entire team is working on the game at the moment in all areas. The art team is capable of developing new UI elements while the coders code.

Combat may be the main focus of this alpha, but the entire game is being developed in tandem currently anyway, and as such feedback on any area of the game is relevant feedback.

Reactions: Rolufe and Chalice

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I agree fully with the compass. I also find the one we have now can be hard to read depending on what terrain you are looking at. This wasn't a problem with the old compass. Either way it looks much better and that alone makes it better for me.

The bars I don't mind as much. I think it is better with thicker bars for seeing numbers on them easily, though the thinner ones from MO1 looked better it could also be a little hard to read numbers on them.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Although I would normally agree, I specifically asked if these UI elements were placeholder at the start of the alpha and was told that no they were not.

However of course things can change, and obviously although this is not the main focus of the alpha, their entire team is working on the game at the moment in all areas. The art team is capable of developing new UI elements while the coders code.

Combat may be the main focus of this alpha, but the entire game is being developed in tandem currently anyway, and as such feedback on any area of the game is relevant feedback.

Oh yeah, ofc. I havent see anything that said those are the official UI. If so, they need some updating for sure.

Taking what your saying, new compass that resembles the old compass. Myself, I'm not a fan of Skyrim compass.. The UI showing numbers is something I really dislike. It will be the source for hybrids to prepare spells awaiting a particular health numbers to appear. I like the hidden numbers, it makes more sense because we arent the othe player, so how would we know their HP?

I like the Older UI more. Including the action bars. I think adding a thicker lines will help a bunch on the definition and overall look.

Paper doll falls in the same boat, add thicker lines to give more definition for placement of items. I would like larger lettering for definitions too just cuase theres lots of left over space. Maybe even center the text so it doesnt seem like theres a ton of extra space in the text area.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
I understand this is obviously personal preference and highly subjective, however I believe that the current main UI elements such as the player name and status bars, target information and the compass are all a step down from MO1s UI in regards to visual appeal.

Here is the current player name and status bars UI:
View attachment 125

Target information:
View attachment 126
View attachment 127

Compass:
View attachment 128

Lets compare these to how I have my UI set up in MO1:
View attachment 129

In my opinion, the MO1 UI is far superior aesthetically and looks much more in line with the world and setting of the game.

Having an actual compass is also much nicer and more immersive, opposed to the very "gamey" sliding one we have at the moment.

I also heavily dislike the red haze that is behind all the text in the new UI, personally I find it very ugly and not appealing.
Your beliefs are wrong, the UI is very progressive, and Henrik is a beautiful human being.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
My biggest gripes with it so far, are that the compass is just such a shade that it's incredibly easy to lose no matter what background is, and also the text for your stat bars gets all blurry and fuzzy like it was not made to be scaled, despite there being an option to scale it in game.

Reactions: PatWins and Phen

Sebastian Persson

Lead Programmer
Staff member
May 27, 2020
Sweden
The compass is the way it is because..that is what every single new player expects from a compass.
Now you could say "hey they could just learn how a real compass works" but to add "learning how to read the compass" into a already incredibly complicated game with the reason "it's more more like a real compass" is IMO not worth it.

It being impossible to see because of the color however, ya that'll change.
And also we are ofc listening to feedback on the UI and stuff can change depending on the feedback we get.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Playing through more things. Heres what I would like to see changed in some way.

Compass: Needs better color to see it better in all areas of the mapping.

*Other compass suggestion: Remove HUD compass and add ingame compass you pull out. Making use of one hand like in reality, the compass arrows, black for your facing direction and red for true North. And everyone always has one. ( I get this is a lot for a new player, but if maps become a thing it would be neat seeing a map in one hand and a compass in another. )

Scaling: Just needs to be cleaned up some. Lines get fuzzies, text seems blurry too.

Opacity: When at 10% it just has a very fuzzy dull color look. Darkening these colors may help that dull look. The fuzzy is okay.

Action bars: Looking at them, the combo action words seem kind of big for the box. Or maybe it's the lines not thick enough, making the letters seem larger than they are in my eyes. Maybe small tweek to make more appealing, not needed though.

Numbers vs percentage: Would like to see other players health by percentage not true numbers. In my opinion it feels wierd knowing someone else's health without any knowledge of the person. ( I get its alpha, but wanted to say something about it. )

-Phen

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The compass is the way it is because..that is what every single new player expects from a compass.
Now you could say "hey they could just learn how a real compass works" but to add "learning how to read the compass" into a already incredibly complicated game with the reason "it's more more like a real compass" is IMO not worth it.

No disrespect intended but I can not get behind the idea of doing something just because it is what is expected or the norm. It could be a slippery slope.

MO is something different and even having the compass be different could demonstrate that early on and give the game something they are not getting from other games.

Besides, they will have to be willing to learn much more than how to read a basic compass to really get into the game.

But yeah, the one that exist is familiar and most players will not think twice about something that every game has. But a real compass could on the other hand be something unique the game does have to note.

In the end though it is just a compass so no real biggie either way. Mostly just not liking the sound of the reasoning behind doing it the way it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valoran and a.out

Valoran

May 28, 2020

And also we are ofc listening to feedback on the UI and stuff can change depending on the feedback we get.
With all due respect Sebastian I completely disagree with everything you just said.

Regular compasses are featured in many popular games, and are hardly a new concept that a player will be seeing for the first time in Mortal 2, I don't believe it's really possible to get out of primary school without basic knowledge of what a compass is and how it works.

Sliding compasses exist for basically one reason only, and that is because it's easier to place target UI elements on a sliding compass due to the ability to expand the space between cardinal directions without making the actual UI element larger, whereas on a normal compass you would have to make the circle bigger to fit more target UI elements on it.

Seeing as mortal isn't (I hope) going to have any such target elements on the compass it becomes redundant functionally and is only a stylistic preference for some.

Regarding what Amadman already touched on, I also don't believe that "it's what the masses want" (Which I would disagree with anyway) is a good enough excuse in almost any situation.

I believe a games user interface should exist in harmony with the world it inhabits.

a.out

May 28, 2020
+1 to bring back old compass !

I do kinda like the more 'dirty' style of the other elements, though. Looks more dark and gothic like compared to the more vibrant MO1 style.

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
I'll take my Extra Large MO2 with no tomatos, no cheese and a large cup of "NoSlidingCompass" plz

mo1 compass was fine, everyone knew how to use it and i dont believe alot of ppl has actual complaints about it so why change a winning formula?

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

I like the new compass because it takes up less space on the screen. The inventory is ugly and looks too much like darkfall.

• Wow
Reactions: a.out

a.out

May 28, 2020
I like the new compass because it takes up less space on the screen.
That's just a matter of size. Those that know how a compass works don't even need letters. A red arrow on a circle would suffice. Don't even need a circle. Just give me a pixel.
That being said, there is enough real estate for a god damn proper compass ! Your subjective opinion on the topic is objectively wrong.

WesleySnipes

Jul 8, 2020
I don't mind the new compass, in fact I prefer it. The only problem with it is it's hard to see in the tree lines, and completely impossible to see at night time.

The old compass took up way too much screen real estate and stuck out like a sore thump. Yea, the old compass was "realistic", but fuck realism to be honest.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
I don't mind the new compass, in fact I prefer it. The only problem with it is it's hard to see in the tree lines, and completely impossible to see at night time.

The old compass took up way too much screen real estate and stuck out like a sore thump. Yea, the old compass was "realistic", but fuck realism to be honest.
Wana know why you can't see at night? Because light bulbs weren't invented yet. Get a torch.

Reactions: a.out

Valoran

May 28, 2020

I would point out that the compass in MO1 was resize-able, and also toggle-able.

The compass took up as much of the screen as you wanted it to.