Do the Swing Arcs Follow any Logic?

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

can somebody explain this to me? What are these damage values, and are these considered accels?

as an aside please get rid of the linear scaling of dmg and go back to breakpoint system.

• Wow
Reactions: Dracu
D

Dracu

my guess is that theres damage zones in your swing that dont seem to be very consistent, some hits are extra charged some not, but not gonna lie that first hit was a wtf moment for me. Extra charged damage at pretty much end of swing... 5 dmg?

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
my guess is that theres damage zones in your swing that dont seem to be very consistent, some hits are extra charged some not, but not gonna lie that first hit was a wtf moment for me. Extra charged damage at pretty much end of swing... 5 dmg?
I can't even find the zone where there isn't a damage reduction of some sorts.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I don´t think those are accels. Sadly the new driver broke my recording ability so I can´t show anything myself.

The swings you shows seem to go with what Herius explained. Along the swing arc of any weapon there is different damage zones or sweet spots.

For testing you should also choose to either use the "blink" charge or just full circel. In your video you switch between the to. That will shift damage values.

The value seem to weirdly low though. Weapon could be bugged as well.

Edit:
Did some testing:
Damage seems to drop off. Highest at the start of the swing and going down from there. Test dummies passive regen insuffifient for effective testing...

Hitting with the last bit of your swing is a decell I guess. Which worked in chiv but not im MO 2 with the giant timings we have.

Last edited:

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020
hit at end of swing = low damage, hit middle of swing = high damage, use your brain mate is not complicated stop complaining

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I don´t think those are accels. Sadly the new driver broke my recording ability so I can´t show anything myself.

The swings you shows seem to go with what Herius explained. Along the swing arc of any weapon there is different damage zones or sweet spots.

For testing you should also choose to either use the "blink" charge or just full circel. In your video you switch between the to. That will shift damage values.

The value seem to weirdly low though. Weapon could be bugged as well.
Agreed, uncontrolled variables=bad study. In this case however the hypothesis was that dmg nerf applies to all swings regardless of position, not necessarily to show the precise difference in damage value.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Yep it is weird. I can not reproduce it reliably. Bugged swing/weapon?
Its a constant for me, however I haven't really used any other weapons than the flamberge. I've certainly reequipped it several times though. Just for clarity what is "it" that you're referring to. If you took the time to do so, you would see my damage values are always like that in my videos.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Its a constant for me, however I haven't really used any other weapons than the flamberge. I've certainly reequipped it several times though. Just for clarity what is "it" that you're referring to. If you took the time to do so, you would see my damage values are always like that in my videos.

Have you changed the weapon over the last few patches or is it still the same? Loot another flamberge and test it again would be my idea.

Cause those damage values are off. I can not reproduce a mid swing fully charge 15 on tindremic armour. For me its always in the 20s. Even when I try to have the same distance and mouse movement.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Have you changed the weapon over the last few patches or is it still the same? Loot another flamberge and test it again would be my idea.

Cause those damage values are off. I can not reproduce a mid swing fully charge 15 on tindremic armour. For me its always in the 20s. Even when I try to have the same distance and mouse movement.
Dmg is a bit higher with a new weapon, might've been under dura

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I do think they need to fix the damage some. Idk how many times ive had fully charged shots hit for less then 10. It makes no sense when there is a "Bonus" that = -90% of the damage... just doesnt make sense when a great looking hit does 5-10....

Also the idea was to fix the swing arc instant hits. That very low and very high pings can pull off but the average ping aren't able to do. I understand the idea of having a sweet spot on the weapons. Though i think this need to stickly be in the arc. Putting it in the weapon heads gives to many random points of damage and brings down the dps of many weapons. These handle hit based weapons ( blunt damage ) needs love too... I still think the weapons need an overhaul.

I did hear something about different weapon models, so i wonder they are using the crafting update to show off new models and hopefully fix the weapons random damage output

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I do think they need to fix the damage some. Idk how many times ive had fully charged shots hit for less then 10. It makes no sense when there is a "Bonus" that = -90% of the damage... just doesnt make sense when a great looking hit does 5-10....

Also the idea was to fix the swing arc instant hits. That very low and very high pings can pull off but the average ping aren't able to do. I understand the idea of having a sweet spot on the weapons. Though i think this need to stickly be in the arc. Putting it in the weapon heads gives to many random points of damage and brings down the dps of many weapons. These handle hit based weapons ( blunt damage ) needs love too... I still think the weapons need an overhaul.

I did hear something about different weapon models, so i wonder they are using the crafting update to show off new models and hopefully fix the weapons random damage output
Well apparently I was using a broken weapon this entire team, so i'll need reevaluate how I really feel about this. Boy do I feel stupid

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Yeah, the weapons are sorta placeholders. I mean you can see how they will change and none of the names are correct.

Personally I´ll wait with detailed weapon feedback. When it comes to handle hits and swing arcs it´s a neverending discussion anyway. Personally I´ve found few weapons that are just completely useless (the tiny khurite axe among them). You could probably dial up the slashing damage on proper axe head hits. I do feel that you have enough control over the weapon to avoid handle hits for the most part. Obvious if someone with potato internet teleports inside you it doesn´t work, but I guess we cannot balance for that.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Yea, with these weapon models being place orders we get very little info to relay. If we were using the models that we will see in game we can give better feedback.

I'm just hoping they fix the damn with the charge though. Mauls + bonus damage was hitting for 40-60... just booboo damage for a 2 swing weapon. The big ugly kal axe does the same damage and less stam drain and seems to be bigger head hit box.. still wanna see these new models before I start a post on damage. Eventhough i think theses weapons need a little more love.

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
Combat Alpha Patch Notes 0.0.0.31

31 August, 2020

Patch Notes

• Added a swing Force system, damage will now scale depending on where in the swing animation your weapon connects a hit. Hitting very early or late in the animation will do less damage, and then scale up towards the middle of the swing for maximum force.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Combat Alpha Patch Notes 0.0.0.31

31 August, 2020

Patch Notes

• Added a swing Force system, damage will now scale depending on where in the swing animation your weapon connects a hit. Hitting very early or late in the animation will do less damage, and then scale up towards the middle of the swing for maximum force.
Thanks captain obvious

• Haha
Reactions: BongRips and Kuroi