Combat - Why?

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I keep seeing the vocal minority perk up about the combat being good, balanced, and fair across the board.

Why?

Here are a list of reasons I've personally seen that people attribute to the combat being 'better' or in a more-or-less finishes state, ready to be 'added onto' rather than fixed.

1.) It's easier for newer players to pick up and learn.
2.) It puts both low ping, and higher ping players on a more even playing field.
3.) The animations are easier to read due to the slower nature of the combat.
4.) The combat looks more realistic.
5.) The 'kick' / 'dodge' / 'special moves' will give players the aggression they want.
6.) Equipment hits should continue to hit for 0 because why should I take damage if they hit my weapon.

Here are 6 reasons I've picked up on that a lot of people continue to throw out when people say 'combat slow / combat bad' as a form of rebuttal. So I'm going to systematically argue each individual point with as much unbiased logic as I can possibly muster.

At some point, I will be selfish and imply that parts that could change are something that I want personally. That doesn't necessarily mean I want it for purely selfish reasons, but that I try to keep the entire game in scope, both new and old players.

I'm also not going to adhere to the ridiculously dull argument of...

It's still in alpha...

It's not finished yet...

They haven't added the special moves yet so be patient...

It IS an alpha, a COMBAT alpha. So I'm going to discuss WHY the COMBAT in my opinion CURRENTLY isn't up to par and will more than likely cause FUTURE problems unless it is changed SOON. This is constructive criticism, see it as complaining? Then you're apart of the problem.

Let's start with the first point.

1.) It's easier for newer players to pick up and learn.

Right off the bat, I can agree with this statement solely because the skill floor is significantly higher than most melee slasher games. Which some people seem to think is a good thing, when in-fact it is not. While the combat is relatively easy, slow, and straight forward; this will only negatively impact both newer players and older players.

Specifically for newer players this causes a lower skill ceiling for them to achieve, as it stands, it would take a very short amount of time for a player with average reactions and mechanical skill to be on par with the rest of the community. In theory this sounds good, but the problem that arises that players who are exceptionally good now have to try much harder in-order to work a system that has been willingly changed to suite masses rather than work horses. If that doesn't make sense, it's as simple as players working hard to be good at the combat have to put in more time to be an 'over achiever' with little to show for it. This will stifle a lot of competitive players as the system doesn't reward players practicing to get better.

As for older players, especially those coming from other competitive melee slashers or even MO1; they will notice the combat system at it's core is fine. Four directional attacks, you can parry all of them, holding your swings too long degrades damage done, holding blocks too long increases damage (blocked damage) taken. Though initially what was the issue, by the time I got my hands on the alpha, was that the combat was too restrictive in its turn caps and it felt sluggish. With the last combat altering patch, those restrictive turncaps have been removed / loosened but now we were introduced to a four-stage attack rather than a three-stage attack (More stages = slower / longer attacks). This was to make animations appear more smoothly, and to help with the varying ranges of latency / ping between players. Sounds good on paper, but in execution the combat is quite literally a snails pace, coupled with a reduction in movement speed.

This will put off a lot of competitive / old players given the fact a faster paced combat system rewarded better reactions / mechanical ability, where as now for example players in MO1 who were 'not so good' at PvP can now hold their ground in way more situations than they should be able to as the system currently crutches their ability.

The way combat currently stands, large groups or often called 'zergs' will benefit from this kind of system. This means in persay a group of 15 versus a group of 5, the group of 5 is often going to lose even if those 5 individuals are exceptionally skilled and the group of 15 is borderline average. There might be rare scenarios where the better players overcome the odds, but as the system stands the 15 will always have the advantage, of course numbers attributing to that, but the system is fundamentally flawed in the way it is designed currently.

I can say from personal experience in the alpha so far, the paragraph above this one is true to the fullest extent. I sometimes will log on with a few players and begin fighting in a town and by the time a large group is formed; there is nothing we can do because 'finishing' (A target who is low, and attempting to kill them) is extremely hard because how defensive-driven and easy it is to run, jump, bandage, or just sit and parry whilst 3 others beat on you to get you out of the group. Maybe race-balances with speeds on persistence will potentially fix this issue, but I don't think so.

Newer players are going to hit the skill ceiling much, much sooner and there will be little room for 'growth' in learning the combat system and it will only be 'padded' (Made more effective) with gear, numbers, and in the further future potentially magic, pets, mounteds, AI guards, etc.

Combat in melee slashers should be fundamentally easy to learn "Someone swings left, I block right. Someone swings right, I block left." but should be difficult to master. This combat right now doesn't feel or resemble that kind of thinking.

On to the second point.

2.) It puts both low ping, and higher ping players on a more even playing field.

Now. Being a NA player who has experienced both east coast and now central pings, I can say this one is a give or take. I like the idea that EU players are now forced to be on an even playing field with NA players, however this still doesn't resolve the issue of higher ping players who either live in oriential countries, AU, RU, etc. So while I can agree to the lower ping players being put on a better playing field for a majority of the player base - I don't really see a solution to higher ping players and I definitely don't think balance should account for them.

No offense to them of course, but there is no competitive play in trying to balance a game around someone who has a significantly larger delay than you both in input and reaction. I'm very neutral on this.

3.) The animations are easier to read due to the slower nature of the combat.

The animations before the four-step animations in attacks, the attacks were already fairly easy to read. Better players were more easily discerned than worse players, now if we had a version of the previous combat where we had still removed / loosened the turn cap on swing releases without the combat swing speed / combat movement reduction; along with the flat ping change on EU players... I think we would have a pretty solid combat system right now.

Sadly, this isn't our reality and we're currently forced into snail-paced combat which has turned dueling into a war of attrition with ridiculous TTK (Time-to-kill) times. I know a lot of people want to go red in the face and say 1v1's don't matter, but in group fights; you are bound to 1v1 other players and it also makes finishing players within a group much more difficult given the slow nature of offensive play. It is EXTREMELY easier to be defensive then offensive right now, and it encourages more numbers / crutching on better gear to out perform others rather than skill.

So sure, animations are even easier to read now; but at the cost of the combat now being parry statue online.

4.) The combat looks more realistic.

Realism is always going to be a dead path in arguing a mechanical change. If we're going to argue realism, then they need to add sleeping where you need to sleep for hours on end to have full stamina; you need to eat and drink multiple times through out the day. There should be sickness, and if you get killed you just have to start over because you died.

Realism should only be taken in VERY, VERY small strides when trying to apply it to mechanical / balance changes. Make things too realistic, the game is going to be a chore or completely unfun. The combat already looked average before, and it honestly looks a lot worse now watching people just trade parries or just consistently bump into each other and smack for handles or equipment hits in long, boring, drawn out engagements.

5.) The 'kick' / 'dodge' / 'special moves' will give players the aggression they want.

No it wont. Please, for the love of God stop saying this. MO1 had special moves. Overhead strike, triple strike, dual strike, spear stance.. Guess what they did? They were sprinkles on the cake. They weren't part of the cake. Players AGGRESSION should NOT BE ABILITY BASED IN A MELEE SLASHER WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Abilities AND moves should be SPRINKLES, not fucking core functions to combat. Like in MO1, you didn't NEED to have overhead strike, you didn't NEED triple strike, you didn't NEED dual strike, you didn't NEED spear stance (Even though it didn't work, lol). You could fight JUST FINE without it. But now we're being led into this way of thinking that dodging, special moves, and kicks are going to be our aggression. This is.. just hilariously stupid. The combat, on it's own two feet; should support both defensive and aggressive playstyles.

Then once it does, then sure. Sprinkle away!

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Well written,

I don’t agree that the turn cap is fine, while it’s good that the awful overhead/pierce slowdown is removed it’s actually more restrictive than before.

I’ll never be happy with any turn cap since it’s a speed cap on mouse movement.

Alas you’re wasting your time the die has been cast and the rubicon has been crossed. Nothing will be changed until all the other mechanics are in and a more clear picture arises

Reactions: Snasen and boba

Lasciel

Oct 3, 2020
Agreed with everything in this post. All of this is true and a good representation of what's wrong with the combat.

Reactions: Rorry

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Fair points and I agree mostly with them. I was fine with the idea of "special" moves being added when it seemed that they were just around the corner. But since their introduction now seems to be "whenever" I am less and less confident.

Introduced early enough they could become part of the foundation of melee combat. In a way you could consider them a fifth attack direction.

The problem though isn´t the delusional fanboys but the fact that SV has a hard time accepting honest feedback and gets defensive very quickly. I still think it´s hilarious that I get called negative when I put dozens of hours into testing to back up my opinion and posts and probably sent more than 200 bugreports at this point.

But yea, I just want the game die...

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Fair points and I agree mostly with them. I was fine with the idea of "special" moves being added when it seemed that they were just around the corner. But since their introduction now seems to be "whenever" I am less and less confident.

Introduced early enough they could become part of the foundation of melee combat. In a way you could consider them a fifth attack direction.

The problem though isn´t the delusional fanboys but the fact that SV has a hard time accepting honest feedback and gets defensive very quickly. I still think it´s hilarious that I get called negative when I put dozens of hours into testing to back up my opinion and posts and probably sent more than 200 bugreports at this point.

Yeah sometimes they take the feedback a little too hard.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020

Yeah sometimes they take the feedback a little too hard.

Big respect for saying how it really is. There was countless time before I got booted from the Discord where I'd stand my ground on my point only to be labeled complaining, shit, and what ever other insults you want to throw out.

A good analogy is a group of people going into a room, with one person (Star Vault) farting and everyone just huffs it up and says "Man that smells good! More please!" Then someone comes in and gets a whiff and says "Man that smells like shit." with the entire room turning to face him only to tell him to fuck off and that what they're smelling is good.

Because that's what this community has devolved into over many years. People just accepting what ever comes and praising it regardless of how it effects the bigger picture.

The day when giving constructive criticism is no longer labeled 'complaining' in this community is the day we move forward as players and actually work as one to make a game that is overall better and more future proof than these ifs, whens, buts, etc.

Reactions: Snasen and Teknique

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Big respect for saying how it really is. There was countless time before I got booted from the Discord where I'd stand my ground on my point only to be labeled complaining, shit, and what ever other insults you want to throw out.

A good analogy is a group of people going into a room, with one person (Star Vault) farting and everyone just huffs it up and says "Man that smells good! More please!" Then someone comes in and gets a whiff and says "Man that smells like shit." with the entire room turning to face him only to tell him to fuck off and that what they're smelling is good.

Because that's what this community has devolved into over many years. People just accepting what ever comes and praising it regardless of how it effects the bigger picture.

The day when giving constructive criticism is no longer labeled 'complaining' in this community is the day we move forward as players and actually work as one to make a game that is overall better and more future proof than these ifs, whens, buts, etc.
Full disclosure I definitely like the combat more than you like it.

I do see a more polished experience with outsiders like jourdain and shaper previously being very bad mo payers to extremely good with this patch. And ping nullification is nothing to complain about.

What I’m not seeing is anyway to break your opponent using movement because it’s too slow.

I used to be able to run left, make them think I will swing left based on my movement and then accel a stab or overhead. Which I believe is the proper way to break parries.

Now there’s two options the ballerina spin which is my favourite and the communities least favourite move simultaneously and the looking up and causing your weapon to warp hands which is cancer. Given that the two options to deal damage are probably both equally hated by the community/new players its hard to argue that its in a good spot even by their logic.

Definitely need to make movement great again.

Any person I show this greylock video to they say greylock is just dog shit, but he isn’t.

I don't think anyone will dispute that I was an aggressive player and currently i'm lost on how to be aggressive beyond spin/and backbreaking hand warp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rorry

Virin

Nov 20, 2020
I agree that combat is too slow, and I'm an NA player who has always struggled with ping issues in this game. Parrying correctly in mo1 was always an issue for me against low ping players and one of the biggest reasons I played mostly mounted or foot mage. But even still, the current speed of combat just doesn't seem right. It should be sped up but maybe not as fast as mo1 was. There needs to be a happy medium. A good player with a steel weapon and light armor (platescale or what have you) should be able to steamroll an average or below average player. Skill should be rewarded. I understand what SV is trying to do, though. Players with low ping had an astronomical advantage over high ping players.

Also +1 on getting rid of equipment hits except on shields. My banner shouldn't be blocking all your damage.

Reactions: ThaBadMan and Rorry

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I agree that combat is too slow, and I'm an NA player who has always struggled with ping issues in this game. Parrying correctly in mo1 was always an issue for me against low ping players and one of the biggest reasons I played mostly mounted or foot mage. But even still, the current speed of combat just doesn't seem right. It should be sped up but maybe not as fast as mo1 was. There needs to be a happy medium. A good player with a steel weapon and light armor (platescale or what have you) should be able to steamroll an average or below average player. Skill should be rewarded. I understand what SV is trying to do, though. Players with low ping had an astronomical advantage over high ping players.

Also +1 on getting rid of equipment hits except on shields. My banner shouldn't be blocking all your damage.

Thanks for the feedback man.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
On equipment hits:

I´m fairly certain that it only gives you 0 damage if you miss the actual character model. Most of the time it happen to me when I try to pull a hit that is just at the edge of my weapons range and I only manage to hit the enemies outstretched weapon.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
On equipment hits:

I´m fairly certain that it only gives you 0 damage if you miss the actual character model. Most of the time it happen to me when I try to pull a hit that is just at the edge of my weapons range and I only manage to hit the enemies outstretched weapon.

I can't say the same has happened for me. I've hit people directly in the back and in the front with their weapon brandished and get random equipment hits. So this kind of reinforces that equipments hits are very much an RNG thing but maybe it's something worth testing, still, I don't agree with it.

Reactions: Rorry and Teknique

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
I can't say the same has happened for me. I've hit people directly in the back and in the front with their weapon brandished and get random equipment hits. So this kind of reinforces that equipments hits are very much an RNG thing but maybe it's something worth testing, still, I don't agree with it.

I think you can make the argument that they are unnessary in the function that they are intended to serve. Giving me feedback that hit the enemies weapon is not necessary really. I just need the information that I hit or missed and how damage it has done.

It would be another matter if we could intentionally hit the handle to break a weapon. But from my testing durabilty loss does not increase when chopping down on the haft of a spear/poleaxe. Or it´s at least in the 0,5 to 1 durabilites margin that is not enough to warrant spending the stamina.

It´s another dead end design in my opinion. Crafting is supposed to be improved by durability diversitiy but durability is a very single dimentional system.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I think you can make the argument that they are unnessary in the function that they are intended to serve. Giving me feedback that hit the enemies weapon is not necessary really. I just need the information that I hit or missed and how damage it has done.

It would be another matter if we could intentionally hit the handle to break a weapon. But from my testing durabilty loss does not increase when chopping down on the haft of a spear/poleaxe. Or it´s at least in the 0,5 to 1 durabilites margin that is not enough to warrant spending the stamina.

It´s another dead end design in my opinion. Crafting is supposed to be improved by durability diversitiy but durability is a very single dimentional system.

Hopefully materials actually have a role to serve in armor and weapon creation, cause as it stands weapon weight seems pointless; and the damages between weapons aren't that varied unless they are two opposite extremes of each other (i.e. maul v sword)

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Hopefully materials actually have a role to serve in armor and weapon creation, cause as it stands weapon weight seems pointless; and the damages between weapons aren't that varied unless they are two opposite extremes of each other (i.e. maul v sword)

It´s because they again went with thresholds when designing their systems. You will have a couple of different armor sets that are just the best in each weight category. It will make armor crafting and the choice of armor in PvP simple and unfullfilling.

Weapon crafting does not seem far off. Within each weapon category there is not nearly as much diversity as you would need for an interesting profession.

It´s almost as if those systems were redesigned by someone who did not understand the original systems and what made them great.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
It´s because they again went with thresholds when designing their systems. You will have a couple of different armor sets that are just the best in each weight category. It will make armor crafting and the choice of armor in PvP simple and unfullfilling.

Weapon crafting does not seem far off. Within each weapon category there is not nearly as much diversity as you would need for an interesting profession.

It´s almost as if those systems were redesigned by someone who did not understand the original systems and what made them great.

The end times are approaching.

D

Dracu

I really see no issue in current combat system besides the fact that there currently is "no counter" to parrying
and maybe the spamming which i personally cant stand, this is a sideeffect of a change they recently made to reward hitting somebody with a quicker recharge... failed to remove that this buff is granted when hitting on somebodys parry aswell.

I read the arguments but i guess it all comes down to perspective.
I played alot in every patch for months now and saw a few changes to the combat...
I have to say first: The top stays the top. The top still kills the average easily.
And the most important i guess... more people seem to have fun.

Teamfights are missing important things like mounteds and magic
I like that new players can hold their ground more easily now, if they fuck up they will still get steamrolled anyways... and they will loose in the end against a good player.

The zerging is a big issue i see connected to the ability to spam hits aswell as the missing magic AND that most people wear the most expensive shit and the most expensive weapons... like thats not very realistic for persistent.

I personally strongly believe in the kick cause in the CORE... there are only 2 ways where a person CANT block... and that is missing a swing and while swinging...

The miss swing penalty is way to short to truly be a punishment in 1v1 situations... to land a hit on this you need to be:
a) barely out of range
b) Already have a swing charged
This is pretty much like Hittrading

and of course Hittrading itself... which is kinda lame...

IMO a true skill based combat system resolves around the fact that two ppl can fight and one person can negate all damage while landing hits.
This is not a given in mo2 since it comes down to much to the weapon you are using... if you are using something slightly heavier this is nearly impossible... which is pretty much 80% of the weapons in game.

Atm its to much "gambling" that shouldnt be there if it wanted to be a 100% skill based combat game.

Some opinion on the arguments you posted.

1.) It's easier for newer players to pick up and learn. || AGREE

2.) It puts both low ping, and higher ping players on a more even playing field. || AGREE

3.) The animations are easier to read due to the slower nature of the combat. || Thats connected to other changes to animation and up downwards limitation in animation... aswell as turncap... spinning still works to some extend...

4.) The combat looks more realistic. ||stupid argument burn whoever brought this up

5.) The 'kick' / 'dodge' / 'special moves' will give players the aggression they want. || The kick yes, the rest no, will make game worse.

6.) Equipment hits should continue to hit for 0 because why should I take damage if they hit my weapon. || For the love of god, equipment hits are not "skill" these need a hard nerf.

Reactions: agui and boba

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I really see no issue in current combat system besides the fact that there currently is "no counter" to parrying
and maybe the spamming which i personally cant stand, this is a sideeffect of a change they recently made to reward hitting somebody with a quicker recharge... failed to remove that this buff is granted when hitting on somebodys parry aswell.

I read the arguments but i guess it all comes down to perspective.
I played alot in every patch for months now and saw a few changes to the combat...
I have to say first: The top stays the top. The top still kills the average easily.
And the most important i guess... more people seem to have fun.

Teamfights are missing important things like mounteds and magic
I like that new players can hold their ground more easily now, if they fuck up they will still get steamrolled anyways... and they will loose in the end against a good player.

The zerging is a big issue i see connected to the ability to spam hits aswell as the missing magic AND that most people wear the most expensive shit and the most expensive weapons... like thats not very realistic for persistent.

I personally strongly believe in the kick cause in the CORE... there are only 2 ways where a person CANT block... and that is missing a swing and while swinging...

The miss swing penalty is way to short to truly be a punishment in 1v1 situations... to land a hit on this you need to be:
a) barely out of range
b) Already have a swing charged
This is pretty much like Hittrading

and of course Hittrading itself... which is kinda lame...

IMO a true skill based combat system resolves around the fact that two ppl can fight and one person can negate all damage while landing hits.
This is not a given in mo2 since it comes down to much to the weapon you are using... if you are using something slightly heavier this is nearly impossible... which is pretty much 80% of the weapons in game.

Atm its to much "gambling" that shouldnt be there if it wanted to be a 100% skill based combat game.

Some opinion on the arguments you posted.

1.) It's easier for newer players to pick up and learn. || AGREE

2.) It puts both low ping, and higher ping players on a more even playing field. || AGREE

3.) The animations are easier to read due to the slower nature of the combat. || Thats connected to other changes to animation and up downwards limitation in animation... aswell as turncap... spinning still works to some extend...

4.) The combat looks more realistic. ||stupid argument burn whoever brought this up

5.) The 'kick' / 'dodge' / 'special moves' will give players the aggression they want. || The kick yes, the rest no, will make game worse.

6.) Equipment hits should continue to hit for 0 because why should I take damage if they hit my weapon. || For the love of god, equipment hits are not "skill" these need a hard nerf.

Appreciate the constructive feed back on what I brought up, you bring up some good points that I can see reason in.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
The equipment hits are just broken. I can hit someone in the back who has no banner, no shield on their back nothing and get a "0" equipment hit. Plus someone holding a bow in front of them should feel a lot of pain as my sword slices though it into them, now they are almost as effective as a shield.

Reactions: agui

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa

Now. Being a NA player who has experienced both east coast and now central pings, I can say this one is a give or take. I like the idea that EU players are now forced to be on an even playing field with NA players, however this still doesn't resolve the issue of higher ping players who either live in oriential countries, AU, RU, etc. So while I can agree to the lower ping players being put on a better playing field for a majority of the player base - I don't really see a solution to higher ping players and I definitely don't think balance should account for them.

I won't discuss the nature of combat (as I don't have much experience on it). I jurt wanted to report that playing from Okinawa (Japan, east of China sea) i somehow have only 17ms ping. I actually used to have higher ping when playing from UK (40-50). so ping might not be a big deal from eastern countries.