Combat Suggestions [Feedback & Ideas Appreciated]

What is your opinion on the experimental idea?

• Variation 'C' of the idea sounds amazing!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Right now in this stage of the MO2 combat alpha, many players along with Star Vault have ran into an issue with encouraging more offensive playstyles in the game. As it stands currently, there is no true method of being offensive considering using a fast enough weapon allows you to swing, parry, riposte, parry, riposte, etc.

Just from my experiences with duels.. Here are a few suggestions I'd recommend in order to raise the skill ceiling, and also allow players to become more aggressive.

1.) Lower the block / parry radius. Now this doesn't mean drastically reduce it, but tweak it ever so lightly down. Because as it stands - a very good player will never get hit by an attack unless his opponent forces his animations to be unreadable and or quick enough to get a strike in. (i.e. Jumping, looking up in the air, starting the swing with your back to them, etc.) But even then, the combat is slow enough to an extent that good players will still block these kinds of attacks. I definitely feel the block / parry radius is way larger than it needs to be. Fine tune it down.

2.) This is a coming change, but remove the swing release delay or make it absolutely unnoticeable if you plan on keeping it. All it does is slow combat down and make it feel clunky.

3.) Reduce the time a parry / block can be held before it is no longer counted as a parry. This currently promotes a SUPER defensive playstyle as the parry timer seems to last FOREVER. People need to keep their parry 'refreshed' consistently, rather than just doing it every 3-4 seconds. It should be more reaction based.

4.) Currently blocking of any kind only takes 11 stamina. It doesn't matter if you're using a 10+ Kg weapon, a dagger that weighs .7, or just using your fists. This amount of stamina is probably okay in the long term, but this number could potentially see tweaks. But for now - lets look at point 5 for the bigger problem (In my eyes).

5.) You can parry / block and move without any penalty to your stamina what so ever. As far as I can tell, your stamina does not regenerate any slower and doesn't go down whilst you have a block held and are moving. This feels great, but it also promotes way longer fights and people turtling up. This good use some tweaking in my eyes.

6.) Blunt weapons currently feel like they don't do much considering they don't chip through parries. Now let me make something VERY CLEAR. The Mortal Online Community DOES NOT want to see a future where Mounteds ride around uncontested swinging heavy, two handed blunt weapons that continually chip through parries for 15-20 damage every hit. This is NOT skill based in the slightest. Now, would that be fine on foot? Sure. Give blunt weapons that advantage on foot, not on horseback (And don't let massive, heavy two handers be used on Horseback to begin with.)

Now these ideas are all keeping in mind the way the current combat works, but no new / experimental ideas coming into play.

But I did have ONE new EXPERIMENTAL idea.

You guys know how pushing / shield bashing seems useless? Aside from pushing people around to grief, or getting that lucky shield bash to throw someone off a ledge? Pushing and shield bashing always has seemed POINTLESS in MO1 and now MO2 because of it's lack of true impact on the game outside one-off scenarios. So I propose a potential experimental change.

1.) Shoving (Pushing) and Shield Bashing should now break someone's parry / block. Now by break.. I mean this. It can go a few different ways, so here are some potential suggestions to how this could operate in-game.

A.) When shoving a player who is blocking, they are locked out of doing ANY KIND of blocking / parrying for 1.5-1.6 seconds (Number should be fine tuned and tested). This allows people who turtle up, to be attacked for constantly parrying / blocking. This also gives players who wish to be offensive a method of getting in and getting an attack off. This also allows mix-ups in the gameplay. I think doing this with a shield should incur an even LONGER lockout on being able to parry / block. Perhaps 2 seconds.

B.) The second variation of this idea would be a hybrid of 'Variation A' and of 'Variation C'. Basically, we follow the same principle that shoving / shield bashing would incur some kind of penalty of parrying / blocking, but instead of entirely locking the player out; it cancels their parry / block that is held; and they can go to place it back up - but now for that short amount of time all of their parries / blocks will only be counted as 'Blocked Damage'. Meaning the player gets no Riposte after parrying, and it allows the aggressive player to chip through the defensive players methods.

C.) The third variation of this idea would be the least game changing and intrusive (In my eyes). This would basically allow shoves and shield bashes to cancel other players held parries / blocks. Nothing more, nothing less. No penalty timer, no delay, no 'blocked damage' for a short period of time. All it does is cancel their held parry / block.

Now with these being kept in mind, I believe the 'shove / push' and the 'shield bash' would have to be put on an internal cooldown timer so they couldn't be spammed. What ever the 'shove / push' cooldown timer would be, the 'shield bash' would need to be double that. If I was to recommend some times, I'd say 6-7 seconds on the 'shove / push' cooldown timer, and 12-13 seconds on the 'shield bash' cooldown timer.

This would give more purpose to a seemingly not-so-used feature of the game into the combat, and it would allow players to mix-up their defensive and aggressive playstyles. This would also allow shield players / one handed users have more of an advantage instead of the game falling back into a two handed dominated meta. (Look at MO1 for examples.)

I'll leave a poll up specifically for the opinion on this experimental idea to see what you guys think. Feel free to toss in your own ideas and feedback so we can help Star Vault shape a well-balanced and fun game!

Reactions: ThaBadMan

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I might be in a very small minority on this, but I've dislike the parry/counter gameplay since it was introduced. I was going thru the old MO patch notes awhile back trying to find when it was introduced...it goes back a long time obviously, but I just never liked the idea of blocking being an offensive strategy.

I understand the idea behind it, to reward a quick reaction to a telegraphed swing with quick dmg which is harder to then deflect. But the reward is far greater than the skill needed to parry someone's attack.

Parrying a swing that isn't obfuscated via animation clipping or other means isn't hard for anyone to do now, but the reward for parrying using a fast counter is high. With no other offensive tools, like the ones suggested above, this leads to defense being the best offense and nearly all hits landed being from counters or weird obfuscated animation clipped attacks.

In sports people have said that the best offense is a good defense, but that refers to like the 80's Chicago bears football teams or like the Detroit pistons in the late 80s which would grind out an opponent and keep the scoring opportunities very low and then capitalize on a few mistakes by the opponent to then score. The outcome was very low scoring. But with MO2 in particular the defensive parry wall and counter is like the primary way to damage your opponent and as such discourages or penalises offensive play imo.

Sorry for sports analogy.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I might be in a very small minority on this, but I've dislike the parry/counter gameplay since it was introduced. I was going thru the old MO patch notes awhile back trying to find when it was introduced...it goes back a long time obviously, but I just never liked the idea of blocking being an offensive strategy.

I understand the idea behind it, to reward a quick reaction to a telegraphed swing with quick dmg which is harder to then deflect. But the reward is far greater than the skill needed to parry someone's attack.

Parrying a swing that isn't obfuscated via animation clipping or other means isn't hard for anyone to do now, but the reward for parrying using a fast counter is high. With no other offensive tools, like the ones suggested above, this leads to defense being the best offense and nearly all hits landed being from counters or weird obfuscated animation clipped attacks.

In sports people have said that the best offense is a good defense, but that refers to like the 80's Chicago bears football teams or like the Detroit pistons in the late 80s which would grind out an opponent and keep the scoring opportunities very low and then capitalize on a few mistakes by the opponent to then score. The outcome was very low scoring. But with MO2 in particular the defensive parry wall and counter is like the primary way to damage your opponent and as such discourages or penalises offensive play imo.

Sorry for sports analogy.
Thank you for the feedback.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Now with these being kept in mind, I believe the 'shove / push' and the 'shield bash' would have to be put on an internal cooldown timer so they couldn't be spammed. What ever the 'shove / push' cooldown timer would be, the 'shield bash' would need to be double that. If I was to recommend some times, I'd say 6-7 seconds on the 'shove / push' cooldown timer, and 12-13 seconds on the 'shield bash' cooldown timer.

Other games with similar feature usually solve this in a way without cooldown:
If you push an enemy that is currently not blocking nothing happens (other games usually do a kick animation and not a push). This way people are able to counter the kick by lowering their block in time.

However, generally I'm not a big fan of those kick features.
One idea that comes to my mind is making certain attacks unable to be parried. E.g. a fully charged overhead strike is only blockable, but does not result in a parry.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Other games with similar feature usually solve this in a way without cooldown:
If you push an enemy that is currently not blocking nothing happens (other games usually do a kick animation and not a push). This way people are able to counter the kick by lowering their block in time.

However, generally I'm not a big fan of those kick features.
One idea that comes to my mind is making certain attacks unable to be parried. E.g. a fully charged overhead strike is only blockable, but does not result in a parry.
Thank you for the feed back.

I agree that to some extent that an idea like that would be good, and give more uniqueness to an attack rather than simply just 'another direction'.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Right now in this stage of the MO2 combat alpha, many players along with Star Vault have ran into an issue with encouraging more offensive playstyles in the game. As it stands currently, there is no true method of being offensive considering using a fast enough weapon allows you to swing, parry, riposte, parry, riposte, etc.

Just from my experiences with duels.. Here are a few suggestions I'd recommend in order to raise the skill ceiling, and also allow players to become more aggressive.

1.) Lower the block / parry radius. Now this doesn't mean drastically reduce it, but tweak it ever so lightly down. Because as it stands - a very good player will never get hit by an attack unless his opponent forces his animations to be unreadable and or quick enough to get a strike in. (i.e. Jumping, looking up in the air, starting the swing with your back to them, etc.) But even then, the combat is slow enough to an extent that good players will still block these kinds of attacks. I definitely feel the block / parry radius is way larger than it needs to be. Fine tune it down.

It is currently possible to hit someone in the back during a duel. I´ve done it many times. It does depend on how skilled your opponent is in tracking you - thus keeping his back secure. I wouldn´t mind lowering it a bit more though. Damage that goes through already depends on blunt damage I believe.

2.) This is a coming change, but remove the swing release delay or make it absolutely unnoticeable if you plan on keeping it. All it does is slow combat down and make it feel clunky.

This will make it easier to hit someone in the back since you can manipulate your swing more easily. Not sure if both should be changed at the same time. Still waiting to see how this change will affect prediction.

3.) Reduce the time a parry / block can be held before it is no longer counted as a parry. This currently promotes a SUPER defensive playstyle as the parry timer seems to last FOREVER. People need to keep their parry 'refreshed' consistently, rather than just doing it every 3-4 seconds. It should be more reaction based.

It´s 1 second I believe. If you don´t refresh it at that rate an experienced player will fuck you up.

4.) Currently blocking of any kind only takes 11 stamina. It doesn't matter if you're using a 10+ Kg weapon, a dagger that weighs .7, or just using your fists. This amount of stamina is probably okay in the long term, but this number could potentially see tweaks. But for now - lets look at point 5 for the bigger problem (In my eyes).

Actually blokcing with a shield takes 20 stamina.

5.) You can parry / block and move without any penalty to your stamina what so ever. As far as I can tell, your stamina does not regenerate any slower and doesn't go down whilst you have a block held and are moving. This feels great, but it also promotes way longer fights and people turtling up. This good use some tweaking in my eyes.

Yup that one is weird and inconsistent.

6.) Blunt weapons currently feel like they don't do much considering they don't chip through parries. Now let me make something VERY CLEAR. The Mortal Online Community DOES NOT want to see a future where Mounteds ride around uncontested swinging heavy, two handed blunt weapons that continually chip through parries for 15-20 damage every hit. This is NOT skill based in the slightest. Now, would that be fine on foot? Sure. Give blunt weapons that advantage on foot, not on horseback (And don't let massive, heavy two handers be used on Horseback to begin with.)

I´m not a fan of "crush through". A parry should be rewarded by not receiving damage. I´d rather see riposte slowed down. Cause that is one of the reason why high ping player can´t parry them - the speed.

Now these ideas are all keeping in mind the way the current combat works, but no new / experimental ideas coming into play.

I wouldn´t mind testing something along those lines.

In general I think it´s better to change things in one direction rather than too many things at once. I feel quite strongly that lowering the fastest possible swing speed would help with the latency issues. Since this would affect riposts the most it would also help with a defensive playstyle being to powerful.

Add to that a very very slightly bigger back arc and reduced swing turn lock it might be enough tbh.

Reactions: Rolufe

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Thank you for the feed back.

I agree that to some extent that an idea like that would be good, and give more uniqueness to an attack rather than simply just 'another direction'.

Opened an seperate thread for this one. Let's see what folks think about it.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I'd like to see ping normalized and then work on what is and isn't too powerful. Any changes made don't scale properly right now, like the block delay for example hurts NA more than EU. Until we have that figured out we can't really make changes.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
It is currently possible to hit someone in the back during a duel. I´ve done it many times. It does depend on how skilled your opponent is in tracking you - thus keeping his back secure. I wouldn´t mind lowering it a bit more though. Damage that goes through already depends on blunt damage I believe.

This will make it easier to hit someone in the back since you can manipulate your swing more easily. Not sure if both should be changed at the same time. Still waiting to see how this change will affect prediction.

It´s 1 second I believe. If you don´t refresh it at that rate an experienced player will fuck you up.

Actually blokcing with a shield takes 20 stamina.

Yup that one is weird and inconsistent.

I´m not a fan of "crush through". A parry should be rewarded by not receiving damage. I´d rather see riposte slowed down. Cause that is one of the reason why high ping player can´t parry them - the speed.

I wouldn´t mind testing something along those lines.

In general I think it´s better to change things in one direction rather than too many things at once. I feel quite strongly that lowering the fastest possible swing speed would help with the latency issues. Since this would affect riposts the most it would also help with a defensive playstyle being to powerful.

Add to that a very very slightly bigger back arc and reduced swing turn lock it might be enough tbh.

Checked the shield block, it's actually 16 stamina. We're both wrong. But thank you for the feedback.

Opened an seperate thread for this one. Let's see what folks think about it.

Sure thing, I love getting people to express their ideas.

I'd like to see ping normalized and then work on what is and isn't too powerful. Any changes made don't scale properly right now, like the block delay for example hurts NA more than EU. Until we have that figured out we can't really make changes.

Having some kind of experimental ping normalization among players wouldn't hurt to try, right now dueling feels bad; group fights feel painfully average.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Im not really a fan of guard breaking with either kicks or stun bashes, it could nerf 1vX big time. But if anything I would only approve something that just breaks the current parry/block without any kind of stuns or parry cooldowns and would need to be short range like a kick.

Neither am a fan of unparryable attacks.

Maybe the issue is currently baiting counters is the best offense. Since the run speed is lower and you can hold counter swings, its very easy to punish ppl trying to go on the offensive compared to MO1, which ends up in both ppl waiting for the other to attack. To encourage more offensive play, you could:

1. Go back to auto release counter swings like MO1.
2. Lower the time window where you can do a counter swing by alot, so it feels like a proper riposte (like mordhau).

This coupled with the turn cap nerf or removal could make aggresive play viable again, while defensive players with good timing and coordination can still land their counters.

Livingshade

Jul 4, 2020

You guys know how pushing / shield bashing seems useless? Aside from pushing people around to grief, or getting that lucky shield bash to throw someone off a ledge? Pushing and shield bashing always has seemed POINTLESS in MO1 and now MO2 because of it's lack of true impact on the game outside one-off scenarios. So I propose a potential experimental change.

1.) Shoving (Pushing) and Shield Bashing should now break someone's parry / block. Now by break.. I mean this. It can go a few different ways, so here are some potential suggestions to how this could operate in-game.

A.) When shoving a player who is blocking, they are locked out of doing ANY KIND of blocking / parrying for 1.5-1.6 seconds (Number should be fine tuned and tested). This allows people who turtle up, to be attacked for constantly parrying / blocking. This also gives players who wish to be offensive a method of getting in and getting an attack off. This also allows mix-ups in the gameplay. I think doing this with a shield should incur an even LONGER lockout on being able to parry / block. Perhaps 2 seconds.

B.) The second variation of this idea would be a hybrid of 'Variation A' and of 'Variation C'. Basically, we follow the same principle that shoving / shield bashing would incur some kind of penalty of parrying / blocking, but instead of entirely locking the player out; it cancels their parry / block that is held; and they can go to place it back up - but now for that short amount of time all of their parries / blocks will only be counted as 'Blocked Damage'. Meaning the player gets no Riposte after parrying, and it allows the aggressive player to chip through the defensive players methods.

C.) The third variation of this idea would be the least game changing and intrusive (In my eyes). This would basically allow shoves and shield bashes to cancel other players held parries / blocks. Nothing more, nothing less. No penalty timer, no delay, no 'blocked damage' for a short period of time. All it does is cancel their held parry / block.

This would give more purpose to a seemingly not-so-used feature of the game into the combat, and it would allow players to mix-up their defensive and aggressive playstyles. This would also allow shield players / one handed users have more of an advantage instead of the game falling back into a two handed dominated meta. (Look at MO1 for examples.)

I'll leave a poll up specifically for the opinion on this experimental idea to see what you guys think. Feel free to toss in your own ideas and feedback so we can help Star Vault shape a well-balanced and fun game!
MATE these ideas just make the game back to MO1 everyone with HIGH PING become so OP and hit through blocks which make blocks useless

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas

(I'll copy this from another suggestion thread.)

I agree, I would prefer they find a way to correct de-sync and normalize or level out advantages from ping difference somehow before they begin making changes to anything else. If they don't, anything they add will just act as a band-aid and after enough band-aids they won't, or won't be able to, go back and fix these underlying problems.

If they fix these things these ideas have some merit.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
MATE these ideas just make the game back to MO1 everyone with HIGH PING become so OP and hit through blocks which make blocks useless
Feel free to suggest your own ideas, feedback, and fixes. It's kind of weird seeing you on two threads just disagreeing with no 'better idea' to take its place.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
There are some nutty ass players in the server right now. One kid says he brand new and almost flawlessed me before I was able to edge out the duel and I had in my top 3.

Another kid not quite as high but hes good.

And by the end of the night I was able to hit them consistently and they couldn't block, even on non-counter swings.

I think the skill ceiling does exist with this system.

• Haha
Reactions: Eldrath

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
There are some nutty ass players in the server right now. One kid says he brand new and almost flawlessed me before I was able to edge out the duel and I had in my top 3.

Another kid not quite as high but hes good.

And by the end of the night I was able to hit them consistently and they couldn't block, even on non-counter swings.

I think the skill ceiling does exist with this system.

If they couldn't block it was your connection, or theirs. Even if it was you using spins and things to confuse prediction most people can still block some non-counter swings. Unless you have figured out some other ways.

I hope they can tighten things up without cheesy additions like turn caps. I don't want a game where we have to do extreme spins and stuff to be competitive, it doesn't feel good and having it done to them will likely turn away new players.

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Im not really a fan of guard breaking with either kicks or stun bashes, it could nerf 1vX big time. But if anything I would only approve something that just breaks the current parry/block without any kind of stuns or parry cooldowns and would need to be short range like a kick.

Neither am a fan of unparryable attacks.

Maybe the issue is currently baiting counters is the best offense. Since the run speed is lower and you can hold counter swings, its very easy to punish ppl trying to go on the offensive compared to MO1, which ends up in both ppl waiting for the other to attack. To encourage more offensive play, you could:

1. Go back to auto release counter swings like MO1.
2. Lower the time window where you can do a counter swing by alot, so it feels like a proper riposte (like mordhau).

This coupled with the turn cap nerf or removal could make aggresive play viable again, while defensive players with good timing and coordination can still land their counters.
I wouldn't mind lowering the time allowed to use your counter. That way you either use it right away or go back to normal attacking.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
If they couldn't block it was your connection, or theirs. Even if it was you using spins and things to confuse prediction most people can still block some non-counter swings. Unless you have figured out some other ways.

I hope they can tighten things up without cheesy additions like turn caps. I don't want a game where we have to do extreme spins and stuff to be competitive, it doesn't feel good and having it done to them will likely turn away new players.
Most people here would say Greylock is extremely hard to land a hit on (whoever that is).

We just haven't really figured out the science yet its actually pretty easy to break a block.

D

Dracu

I wouldn't mind lowering the time allowed to use your counter. That way you either use it right away or go back to normal attacking.
interesting idea, even though that would result in ppl doing hit n run and never get countered pretty much?

Reactions: Teknique

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
interesting idea, even though that would result in ppl doing hit n run and never get countered pretty much?
It would be harder to land counters, but not impossible at all with the current slow runspeed. And honestly it would be cool if other aggresive play styles like hit and run where actually viable instead of just giving free back hits.