Combat/Overall feedback

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Yeah I got an idea. Stop writing such a fat wall of text. Summarize into one paragraph MAX else half of us ain't reading it.
So you want me to convey both how I feel whats wrong with combat, the suggestion I have and the motivations behind this and do it very short?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Zbuciorn

Valoran

May 28, 2020
1. Blocking is 360 degrees adds to my later point of combat being slow.
2. Movement slow and clunky feels floaty like life is feudal.
3. Swings getting canceled by people and objects, you try to sticky someone and your swings cancel because you are too close to the person.
4. Combat meta is blocked infinitely no need to play aggressively because you can't bypass blocks
5. No sprint break
6. Swing arcs of weapons need a lot of work, seems easiest hit people who are not on your screen
7. Latency handicap gives an advantage to EU players in an already slow game (Give us NA server and one EU server)
8. Overall PVP feels clunkier then pre-alpha MO1 and this seems to be a step back
9. Armor and textures are bulky and clearly not intended for first-person I concluded from the models clipping into camera
I didn't really read the first part of your post, you should format your posts properly next time instead of just leaving it in one large dense impenetrable block.

As for the numbered points,

1. 360 blocking is obviously going to be changed, you know this.

2. Movement is actually incredibly fast at the moment. Run speed is due to be reduced for testing.

3. Object permanence helps with this. The moment you realise you can't just pull your weapon through objects as if they weren't there you stop having this problem.

5. Sprint break sucks.

6. The solution to this in my opinion is to raise the maximum FOV a little bit, enabling you to see where your weapon is actually going a bit better, but in general it's not really an issue after a small amount of practice. Kind of like driving when you can't see the front of your car.

7. The current delay system is indeed problematic, and I intend on making an in depth thread about that soon.

8. I wasn't there for the MO1 alpha, but I did play since 2011. I would not describe MO2 combat as clunky, at least not in comparison to any state mortal 1 was ever in.

9. I agree, the current armor is incorrectly scaled and I have a thread showcasing that.

Kevin

Jun 7, 2020
I didn't really read the first part of your post, you should format your posts properly next time instead of just leaving it in one large dense impenetrable block.

As for the numbered points,

1. 360 blocking is obviously going to be changed, you know this.

2. Movement is actually incredibly fast at the moment. Run speed is due to be reduced for testing.

3. Object permanence helps with this. The moment you realise you can't just pull your weapon through objects as if they weren't there you stop having this problem.

5. Sprint break sucks.

6. The solution to this in my opinion is to raise the maximum FOV a little bit, enabling you to see where your weapon is actually going a bit better, but in general it's not really an issue after a small amount of practice. Kind of like driving when you can't see the front of your car.

7. The current delay system is indeed problematic, and I intend on making an in depth thread about that soon.

8. I wasn't there for the MO1 alpha, but I did play since 2011. I would not describe MO2 combat as clunky, at least not in comparison to any state mortal 1 was ever in.

9. I agree, the current armor is incorrectly scaled and I have a thread showcasing that.
Sorry that short paragraph was too much for you to comprehend I will add pictures for you in the future.

1. Noted 360 will change but has not.

2. Movement is slow, hopefully it doesn't get any slower or this game really is catering to the slow brains.

3. Object permanence shouldn't apply to someone you are trying to sticky back it's just stupid. Also since you want a realistic approach what leaves have
you ever seen stop a steel sword or mace?

4. You forgot this one, though I take it you agree with this point then.

5. Sprint break is a good mechanic because it balances the chasing mechanics. For example, when you are running away you only burn stamina sprinting whilst people chasing spend stamina swinging during the charge up and release. Having sprint break balances out chasing mechanics you can say it sucks but would love some intelligent elaboration on why if you are even capable of critical thinking which I doubt.

6. Fov doesn't change the swing arcs and their mechanics, the swing arcs need work mainly the momentum damper at the end of swings is a major hindrance to gameplay. I understand the swing momentum damper to prevent dragging swings excessively but currently, it prevents any follow-up or adjustment further favoring low ping.

7. Please do the only real solution is a NA server there will always be flaws in the system. Forcing NA players to abuse prediction and latency to be able to compete which was successful in the previous iteration of the game. NA had hands down some of the best players even with the ping disadvantage though it definitely pushed many potential players away due to the desynced nature of how NA players had to play.

8. Never said I was comparing mo2 to mo1 in terms of smoothness or clunky gameplay. I literally got the definition of clunky as Raih suggested and broke it down for you guys, maybe more pictures are warranted.

9. Yayaya

1594443248564.png

Kevin

Jun 7, 2020
The main issue I find with the combat is it feels non-"complete". As in the interaction of someone attacking and someone defending does not feel like its planned out to go in a certain way other than attack, block/parry, counter, block and repeat until someone makes a mistake or gets tired. In the games current form, someone turtling could just block you until someones weapon breaks, once durability actually goes down to real levels.

Melee vs melee is very defensive lopsided, 360 block is actually good if there was a counter to blocking, since it circumvents high ping people(or difference between two people is more accurate I guess) from getting on your back even though on your end they are clearly in front of you. If you were infact behind them, don't swing the same way they last saw you swing and you would be getting a perfectly good hit. 90% of the time, you are clearly not behind them on anything but your end, the enemy is staring at you like you are a special kid and hence why they keep matching the block direction.
People with high ping, be it on purpose or just because of distance to the servers is a reality we are all even in MO2 are going to have to live with and as long as its always considered throughout balancing and adding features there are ways to make it less of an issue, like 360 blocking to prevent high ping difference from just being a straight up easy win as long as you play aggressive.

Which brings me to the main gripe I have with how it works right now.

Blocking(is how I will reference to it, even though its parrying you want to achieve) has no cooldown, there is no way of getting past a block other than some "clever" looking straight up and changing your swings around with weapons that have similar overhead and side swings and hoping they don't catch on before you swing at them. blocking/parrying needs to be handled more like how its handled in Mordhau and in turn the way swings work will have to change, too. My proposed change to speed up (or alter it anyway) the flow of combat would then be:

If you block in a direction, there should be a cooldown before you can block again. This cooldown needs to be (generally) longer than the time it takes to get a sort of swing out. Then one of the tricks to get past blocks will be to start a swing from a direction and try to get the defender to block/parry prematurely, which lets you switch direction and get a hit in. In turn I think the charge timer should be reduced, but the swing speed should be made slower. This will make blocking more reactionary than it is now as right now its very anticipatory and the defender gets way too much time to block in the right direction with how little risk hitting an early block carries. I've also noticed there is nothing preventing you from blocking when you have a swing charged at any point during the attack other than a brief moment when the swing is being delivered. The only thing making blocking even remotely harder is when you get parried and the counter coming at you will be faster, making it just slightly harder. But if you are not giving him any attacks to parry it is incredibly easy to block.

Counter playing when you missed a block would be entirely possible too, you'd find yourself missing your block, either by matching the right direction but pulling it off before he released the swing or getting the direction wrong, if you could "morph" the block into a charge and squeeze of at least a partly charged attack or a non charged attack you could end up trying to get a trade in if you can risk taking the hit in return. Another option is to run or in other ways get enough distance between you and your opponent or miss so he can not capitalize on the mistake and either get the correct block in or go on the offensive.

Things that would override the cooldown would be things like, successfully blocking or parrying an attack. This way if you are outnumbered you'd not get entirely screwed by the mechanic if they are swinging from different directions, but you are still committing with your blocks and if they are clever they can still wreck you by making it harder for you to keep a check on where both their attacks are coming from(like getting on each side) and feinting attacks or outright baiting swings that don't hit. The meta here is very long.

No its not perfect, im sure it might have actually been mentioned before in this thread or somewhere else. But this is one way to go about it that would add more depth to combat. the additions to shield and other additions and changes to other systems is clearly going to have an impact on a system like this and will have to see a lot of reiteration.

Other people got any ideas?
I once told henrik if they ever got prediction perfectly it would ruin their game for mo1. The reason being prediction was the skill-based part of the game that enabled players with ping disadvantage the ability to compete and be competitive. I 100% agree the current state of blocking has no counter play or mechanics making it skill based. It is the most braindead system in a melee game that I have ever seen, honestly it is disappointing. They took a great system from m&b which has no swing charge and instant block, but also feints and chambers . I understand it is a partial work in progress but it is hard to understand why they would take a great system and implement it as such. Charged swings for damage slow animations that easy to block even with 100 ping to server paired with instant blocks that. Then I know they are supposedly removing 360 block but that is one aspect of counterplay against blocking and turtling. The other aspects you mention would make this game skill based because honestly right now in the current state the game might aswell be two dimensional.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
The reason being prediction was the skill-based part of the game that enabled players with ping disadvantage the ability to compete and be competitive.
I've probably said this 100 times and nobody ever listens to me. Now we don't have it, and everyone's sucking British dick out there.

Kevin

Jun 7, 2020
I've probably said this 100 times and nobody ever listens to me. Now we don't have it, and everyone's sucking British dick out there.
There is definitely prediction but it is useless because 360 block.

Reactions: Kavu

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Sorry, I should have quoted these all in one response, but I just got off work and I'm real tired.

5. Sprint break is a good mechanic because it balances the chasing mechanics. For example, when you are running away you only burn stamina sprinting whilst people chasing spend stamina swinging during the charge up and release. Having sprint break balances out chasing mechanics you can say it sucks but would love some intelligent elaboration on why if you are even capable of critical thinking which I doubt.

Another thing I agree with. I think the thing people hated about sprint break is that it wasn't well implemented. Correct me if I'm wrong as I took a 5 year break from MO before returning for the squeakquel, but I remember it this way:

Any and all damage seemed to break your sprint, and refreshing it was inconsistent. A direct hit to your head, or torso from a melee weapon? Yeah that should break your sprint, let us catch runners. But like a dot like corrupt? A glancing handle hit to your forearm? Those probably shouldn't break your sprint. But they did, and it was annoying because every dang hit you took slowed down combat and fucked with your already spastic stamina bar. People hated how janky that felt, and it was compounded the already annoying issue of getting hit from 10 feet back.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
There is definitely prediction but it is useless because 360 block.
Hopefully it will feel better when 360 block is gone. I've definitely been able to deke people and mind games them with 360 block still on, but it requires so much stamina and isn't worth the quick swing of maybe 10 damage I get out of it. Time to kill is absurd, and it makes comebacks in duels almost guaranteed rather than an exciting rare occurrence, because people go hyper defensive when they're about to die.

Kevin

Jun 7, 2020
Hopefully it will feel better when 360 block is gone. I've definitely been able to deke people and mind games them with 360 block still on, but it requires so much stamina and isn't worth the quick swing of maybe 10 damage I get out of it. Time to kill is absurd, and it makes comebacks in duels almost guaranteed rather than an exciting rare occurrence, because people go hyper defensive when they're about to die.
The best time of mortal was when the TTK was low and unforgiving the combat was fast-paced any vets would agree. I know we are trying to make a game that all can enjoy, hopefully growing this community from the bottom of the barrel gamers to a community with actual gamers. But that will not happen with how slow and unexciting the combat is right now. Even in finished combat of mo1 there was little counterplay, very linear playstyles, with only abuse of mechanics separating good from bad players. Not something new players will look at and say "I want to play this" if anything they will actively make fun of it and avoid wasting their time/money.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
3. Swings getting canceled by people and objects, you try to sticky someone and your swings cancel because you are too close to the person.

Swings getting canceled by people, is absolute trash. It further de-incentives using any of the quicker shorter weapons, like my signature katana or short spear. Compounding the already prevalent issue of the defensive heavy weapon / club + parry meta.

Swings getting blocked by the environment.. I think could work, if changed. It's current state sucks, but I don't think it should be outright abandoned without a bit more testing. It's a system that works quite well in Dark Souls or Mount & Blade, but in these games there's two major differences:

1.) Those games are in third person. It is a lot easier to see where your swing arcs are, and see that your attack isn't going to be blocked by a stray mug on a table.

2.) In those games a stray mug on a table doesn't block your goddamn swing arc! Every last item in MO2 seems to block swings, whether it's logical or not. A fish, a piece of string, or a bush, shouldn't stop me from cleaving your ass in half. Solid objects like stone, or a doorframe? Yes. Block my swing. I shouldn't be able to bap you through a wall. However, if I just glance the wall, with the upper part of my sword, it should still continue through, perhaps with a slight damage reduction. In Dark souls, if you nearly pass through an object, a loud sound effect plays and sparks fly out. You still swing through, but it warns you that you've come really close to fucking yourself. I would like to see SV experiment with their own version of a partial weapon collision system, rather than this nonsense where bumping into me stops me from stabbing you and me not being able to run you through with an estoc/bastard just because we're in a tent.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
360 blocking is sort of a necessity until they come up with a solution to the netcode that will let people hit you in the blindspot of the blockarc when on your end they are clearly not. I still don't think JUST limiting the block arc is a good idea for mortal online 2 in its current state or with the its current user base being split internationally on just one server. In mo1 there was a period when blocking was 100% based on the defenders perspective, which did circumvent people tricking the prediction system and hitting people in their "back". But it effectively has the exact same effect as current with 360 blocking. a blocking delay and deeper attack vs defend gameplay would open up atleast one avenue of gameplay that involves deception, patience and skill rather than having 100% of your winning strategy depend on tricking the netcode.

Blocking just needs proper counterplay and more timing restrictions and attacking needs a slight "buff", if you will.

But that is just my opinion.

Mo2 combat so far is extremely similar to mo1 and suffers from the same turtling issues that mo1 had and the same difficulties fighting people that are running around a lot due to swings just passing through them and how easy it is to get "desynched" from someone elses perspective and get behind them on your end, but the collective perspective is that you are just walking into the guy and you are staring at each other.

I also find that the game has the same issue with mo1 where weapons feel a lot shorter than they are.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
To objectify this discussion I´d like to see videos from both EU and NA of the same fight. So far when I looked at NA videos the difference was not great. My game gets worse than that when Netflix fires up. I understand that there is difference in FPS games when it comes to latency. I played CS 1.0 on a modem against people with ISDN. Does´t seem to affect MO2 the same way though.

As there seem to be many guys with good rigs on both sides of the pond it shouldn´t be a problem to showcase the problems discussed here. Sadly my RX 580 isn´t up to the task.

More on the subject of mechanics:

1. 360° blocks don´t bother me too much right now, but in the future with spears und centerblock it will be ridiculous.

2. I realized just yesterday that there is actually a parry timer that can be exploited to get to do [blocked] damage. That´s good.

3. I like how a charge gets canceled by players and objects. It improves weapon variety.

4. Movementspeed is fine. I get the skill ceiling argument, but don´t think it´s necessary for MO2. There Quake Arena etc. if you want to have a proper ceiling. With group fights, different classes, resources etc. the individual speed won´t be as important.

5. One world, one server. I wish people would stop bitching about it. Especially since it hasn´t worked for 10 years.

• Love

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
If they end up making spears only deal any significant damage with thrust attack, then 360 blocking will indeed be a problem but even with the blind spot it'll be way too easy. If they make it so that a spear can do "thrusting attacks" (atleast getting their strong piercing damage applied to the swings) with all the directions, with a clear telegraph so they can be read just as well as swings are. Like a left/right swing is a sort of swing to a thrust then it would work fine with the current system, and would look good. The offset here could be that the charge time is the same as the thrust but the attack itself is executed slower(travel time), spears need a clear downside and having only the normal thrust attack be the go to attack where the others are for "dueling" would make sense. Overhead thrust would be a very nice thing to have when mounts make their appearance as it will be easier to hit riders with a attack coming as high up as possible and hopefully we'll get a working spear stance eventually, too.

I still firmly believe that blocking needs to get some sort of cooldown tied to itself and different actions to bring in counter play ("feints") and a slower swing speed but faster charge speed to shift defensive part of combat to be reactionary and not anticipatory.

360 blocking is no issue as long as there is counters to the blocking mechanic and all weapon types can in some way make use of them.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
360 blocking is sort of a necessity until they come up with a solution to the netcode that will let people hit you in the blindspot of the blockarc when on your end they are clearly not. I still don't think JUST limiting the block arc is a good idea for mortal online 2 in its current state or with the its current user base being split internationally on just one server. In mo1 there was a period when blocking was 100% based on the defenders perspective, which did circumvent people tricking the prediction system and hitting people in their "back". But it effectively has the exact same effect as current with 360 blocking. a blocking delay and deeper attack vs defend gameplay would open up atleast one avenue of gameplay that involves deception, patience and skill rather than having 100% of your winning strategy depend on tricking the netcode.

Blocking just needs proper counterplay and more timing restrictions and attacking needs a slight "buff", if you will.

Mo2 combat so far is extremely similar to mo1 and suffers from the same turtling issues that mo1 had and the same difficulties fighting people that are running around a lot due to swings just passing through them and how easy it is to get "desynched" from someone elses perspective and get behind them on your end, but the collective perspective is that you are just walking into the guy and you are staring at each other.

I also find that the game has the same issue with mo1 where weapons feel a lot shorter than they are.
The best time of mortal was when the TTK was low and unforgiving the combat was fast-paced any vets would agree. I know we are trying to make a game that all can enjoy, hopefully growing this community from the bottom of the barrel gamers to a community with actual gamers. But that will not happen with how slow and unexciting the combat is right now. Even in finished combat of mo1 there was little counterplay, very linear playstyles, with only abuse of mechanics separating good from bad players. Not something new players will look at and say "I want to play this" if anything they will actively make fun of it and avoid wasting their time/money.

In the 2nd half of this vid, i'm playing pretty similarly to how you would play in MO1.

Is that proper block counterplay?

WesleySnipes

Jul 8, 2020

Block breaker would be a good addition. Attach a sizable stamina penalty to it. Make a "kick" animation where you catch someone blocking, kick them, and they're open for a small window. Personally I don't think block should be 360 degrees, that seems kinda wack. I fear a lot of the issues we talk about is due to bad netcode / latency. Someone at 50 ping is going to be able to easily outmaneuver someone at 150 - 200 ping, which makes blocking a significant challenge for those people.

• Love

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Block breaker would be a good addition. Attach a sizable stamina penalty to it. Make a "kick" animation where you catch someone blocking, kick them, and they're open for a small window. Personally I don't think block should be 360 degrees, that seems kinda wack.
Well the alternative is having people hitting you in the back when they are in front of you, which is even more wack. 360 blocking is only an issue if people could know where you are swinging from if you are infact, outside their line of sight. It is a GOOD thing to have until the net code can handle ping differences or player speed is so low you can not game the system.

Not sure a straight out way to just crush through blocks would be fun in solo circumstance or in group play. I'm standing firm that there needs to be a layer of deception added into the mechanics, rather than people gaming the system being the main way to fight.

Kevin

Jun 7, 2020
360 blocking is sort of a necessity until they come up with a solution to the netcode
The netcode will always be limited by server location, they will not enhance the network infrastructure of the world. 360 blocking is a poor mechanic and has already been said that it will be changed and any player who is skill-based appreciates that I am sure.
You are correct it didn't work for 10 years that's why 30 people ended up being the reoccurring player base.
I offered counterplay in the form of feints chambering like every other skill-based melee combat game has implemented, problem is the latency and the game is EU only at this point due to this. Right now MO1/2 blocking outplay has always been reliant on exploiting the games poor systems. The forbidden arts practiced by the god-king Joe tricking the game into thinking your swings were different directions or the ability to take advantage of lag to get around blocks. Spinning around like a ballerina in attempts to trick your opponents into miss blocking(sorry that's not abusing anything except bad gameplay)
1. 360° blocks don´t bother me too much right now, but in the future, with spears und center block it will be ridiculous.
It is ridiculous now and if you have the foresight to see it being so in the future it should bother you, but as its been stated many times in this thread 360 blocking will be fixed
2. I realized just yesterday that there is actually a parry timer that can be exploited to get to do [blocked] damage. That´s good.
A basic game mechanic that is irrelevant due to being able to re parry endlessly without fear of someone wrapping around and back hitting you.
3. I like how a charge gets canceled by players and objects. It improves weapon variety.
I have also stated "liking" something is not an argument that holds any ground, please provide why you think this or don't bring it up at all. there is no variety in this mechanic as you state all weapons are canceled on a charge up if you are behind someone or near them. It has been said this is being worked on.
4. Movement speed is fine. I get the skill ceiling argument but don´t think it´s necessary for MO2. There Quake Arena etc. if you want to have a proper ceiling. With group fights, different classes, resources, etc. the individual speed won´t be as important.
Know what is crazy playing an arena game where you risk nothing and just play for personal improvement, enjoyment, and sometimes ranking. Then going to a full loot game where weeks of effort are on the line, then saying you don't want it to be absolutely skill-based allowing for player skill to secure your time and effort through protecting your loot. The slower the TTK, the slower the movement, the lower the skill ceiling not enabling the best players to thrive and win but doing the opposite enabling players of lower caliber the increased chances to compete not because they are better but because the game is slowed down to a point where player skill is almost irrelevant.
5. One world, one server. I wish people would stop bitching about it. Especially since it hasn´t worked for 10 years.
You are absolutely right, I wish people would stop bitching about it and we would just get an NA server. It didn't work for 10 years and that is a leading reason the game had 30 reoccurring players in the end of its life. As I said before no one wants to risk weeks of time and effort in an noncompetitive setting where they will be killed via lag or some other network-based gimmicks. Countless people have quit MO1 after realizing the poor state of pvp.
360 blocking is no issue as long as there is counters to the blocking mechanic and all weapon types can in some way make use of them.
Just stop bringing up 360 blocking being fine its going to go already has been said to not be permanent but a placeholder. The fact that you think what you are saying to be true about 360 blocking speaks to your critical thinking skills, not in a positive way either. I could give you an essay on why 360 blocking is terrible mechanically and fundamentally but it would be wasted and unnecessary.

Kevin

Jun 7, 2020
In the 2nd half of this vid, i'm playing pretty similarly to how you would play in MO1.

Is that proper block counterplay?

It's sad that it takes 13 min to kill 2 players that are not very skilled, I think you would agree. The game is too easy and two dimensional currently to really say anyone is good or bad its just extremely low skill right now. I wouldn't call that block counter play as much as taking advantage of people without the mechanical knowledge and ability to block 4 directions efficiently. People can think it takes skill to block but in the current state, it does not if any it's very low skill.
On a more serious note, the devs aren't going to take your feedback seriously by just dismissing everyone who disagrees with you as clueless and having a party with the 3 people that agree with you.
I have already seen many flaws in bbihah delusional opinions lacking any argument or backing. I hope that his fanboydom doesn't cloud Seb or Henrik's thought process when reading his poorly backed points. "I LIKE IT" ok lil guy I am sure you do.

Kevin

Jun 7, 2020
Do tell me the instance where 360 blocking is not ok? When can you make use of this? Only one I can think of is when you try to get around someone. Which you can't because the guy you are fighting is looking at you wondering why you are humping his face.

In group fighting, attacking someone from behind? No, you have to actually see the attack to match his attack direction so don't see that being an issue. Am I missing something? To me it just sounds people are too complacent in gaming the system being the way to fight.

Ping becomes less an issue when the defenders perspective when it comes to blocking matters as well as the attackers. If you made the block attempt on your end then it should be blocked. There are cases when this shouldn't be the case, but you have to put in mind that high ping players as well as international players is the reality and they will have to tailor the game accordingly or else everyone is going to have a bad time. If they do it so outright low ping players have an advantage then they'll lose the international part of the player base and if the system is too gamey then they'll lose people not wanting to use things like lagswitches or in other ways getting themselves high ping and again, gaming the system.

All i was suggesting was ways for feinting or messing up your block to become a thing, you said you have suggested the same thing? Do tell how my suggestion was different? Its not like im saying this way is absolute? Did I not say that we need more feedback on how to counter blocking, since its too easy right now? You even just said fights become too long even against a poor player, because of this.

Do you not agree that sperging out to hide telegraphing should not be the way you go about countering blocking?

Do you not agree that there needs to be some mechanics in place that counter blocking?

Do you not agree that if they limited the block arc in the games current state people would be gaming the system to hit people in the "back" rather than it actually having an actual impact on natural combat?

Do you not agree that combat would shift into a sprint fest where people just try to hit people in the back(face) rather than using whatever other game mechanics are in place? Even sperging out would become less of a thing, no?

Just stop bringing up 360 blocking being fine its going to go already has been said to not be permanent but a placeholder. The fact that you think what you are saying to be true about 360 blocking speaks to your critical thinking skills, not in a positive way either. I could give you an essay on why 360 blocking is terrible mechanically and fundamentally but it would be wasted and unnecessary.