Any Darkfallers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Bunny hopping really was a huge mark against that game IMO. I've played a couple of games where they used a movement style so unique that it became the focus of the game and in all instances, it seriously detracted from the game for me. Low-level vs. low-level fights in Darkfall were seriously fun. But by the time you're managing 100+ abilities, basically required to have macros, and have to glitch your movement to keep up in combat the fun factor seriously dropped off.

I have a lot of fond memories of that game but when I fired up Rise of Agon I was just constantly reminded of how old that game is now, and all the reason I quit. This game feels way better to me so far.

MyrmexThraxvágr

May 28, 2020
France
discord.gg
Bunny hopping really was a huge mark against that game IMO. I've played a couple of games where they used a movement style so unique that it became the focus of the game and in all instances, it seriously detracted from the game for me. Low-level vs. low-level fights in Darkfall were seriously fun. But by the time you're managing 100+ abilities, basically required to have macros, and have to glitch your movement to keep up in combat the fun factor seriously dropped off.

I have a lot of fond memories of that game but when I fired up Rise of Agon I was just constantly reminded of how old that game is now, and all the reason I quit. This game feels way better to me so far.

No bunny hopin yet hehe but I feel like the way the combat is going we might have some dudes playing grass hopper style soon.

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Excuses? Sorry, but MO1 in 2009-2010 was a bugged piece of crap compared to DFO in terms of anything, including lore.
Yes being less buggy and aparantly infinitely better but still died so many years before a still living game...

Bugs make casuals quit, gameplay makes real players quit. DFO had a horrible gameplay, MO had gameplay but not stability so MO survived while DFO died since bugs can be fixed but broken gameplay is hard to fix.
Your fanboyism of DFO dont make it a better game than it was, simply your view. History does side with me since DFO is dead 3x now and MO is still here with MO2 also here. Though I will give you that MR is dead...

Dominatrixx

Nov 23, 2020
Yes being less buggy and aparantly infinitely better but still died so many years before a still living game...

Bugs make casuals quit, gameplay makes real players quit. DFO had a horrible gameplay, MO had gameplay but not stability so MO survived while DFO died since bugs can be fixed but broken gameplay is hard to fix.
Your fanboyism of DFO dont make it a better game than it was, simply your view. History does side with me since DFO is dead 3x now and MO is still here with MO2 also here. Though I will give you that MR is dead...
Oh yes, like life-span of something really determines quality. DFO died only because many bad decisions made by devs , not because of player base, which still remains active and sticking together in other games despite DFO not existing anymore. And regarding fanboyism... The only fanboy here is you, saying "DFO had a horrible gameplay, MO had gameplay but not stability so MO survived while DFO died since bugs can be fixed but broken gameplay is hard to fix" only means that you never played DFO or played it a bit, but found it too hard for you to get good (skill-cap DFO was possibly the highest of all MMORPGs ever released, it was hardcore).

I'll be clear with my position: MO1 had a nice concept, but it never became a really good game, or better to say it's a game with great mechanics which was ruined by many factors. Combat looks awful, lore is boring (or better to say too generic), the rest is also meh, it's like a worse version on Ultima Online with 1st-person view. But I see much potential in MO2 to be few times better and I believe in SV, that's why I'm here.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
If DFO, MO1, or MO2 had the best combat is purely subjective. If we were talking a 1:1 translation of combat system and one system were basically the same as the other system with smoother performance then you could start making the claim one is objectively better.

But I'll submit, DFO had the worst combat system of all three once you got past the early game where it was probably the best, because of the need to macro to fix bad in-game systems and bunny hopping. Some people don't care about my first point, some people think bunnyhopping is the REASON DFO combat was so good. And their point is no more or less valid than mine. It comes down to personal preference. I thought bunnyhopping was cancer, especially when you needed to spend considerable time afk macroing on a bloodwall to get the spells to do it well.

Having a debate about which is better is pointless. TBM has clearly stated he really hates third-person combat and its presence greatly detracts from his enjoyment. That is a valid perspective. So is yours. Learn to let others have their own opinions.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Oh yes, like life-span of something really determines quality. DFO died only because many bad decisions made by devs , not because of player base, which still remains active and sticking together in other games despite DFO not existing anymore. And regarding fanboyism... The only fanboy here is you, saying "DFO had a horrible gameplay, MO had gameplay but not stability so MO survived while DFO died since bugs can be fixed but broken gameplay is hard to fix" only means that you never played DFO or played it a bit, but found it too hard for you to get good (skill-cap DFO was possibly the highest of all MMORPGs ever released, it was hardcore).

I'll be clear with my position: MO1 had a nice concept, but it never became a really good game, or better to say it's a game with great mechanics which was ruined by many factors. Combat looks awful, lore is boring (or better to say too generic), the rest is also meh, it's like a worse version on Ultima Online with 1st-person view. But I see much potential in MO2 to be few times better and I believe in SV, that's why I'm here.
If something is of poor quality it normally dont last long. Fact.

DFO like MO died down due to retarded devs with retarded changes. Fact.

Being a fanboy means you cant take criticism about it, you cant regarding DFO as we see and lets be honest I am the biggest critique of MO. Fact.

Guilds sticking together after a game dies does not mean the game was good for them sticking together. It simply means they like playing together.

I played DFO, did not give it enough time im sure but I did try it out for a time. Third person, bad melee system, bad movement system and insane amounts of bunnyhopping was big things that ruined it for me, those are basic gameplay aspects which DFO did horribly imo. Canons ruined it further, wow cartoon graphics even further, wow style magic even further, melee not being self sufficient another, forced into archery and magic another, do I really need to go on ?

Not my fault DFO had to stay at the then current MMO market standard except they went with real time combat instead of the norm, one of the things they did good. It wasnt enough. Fact.

Skill cap might be high as you say, but you couldnt be the best unless you conform to their forced combat nature. You couldnt be the best player and also only go melee, archery or magic. You where forced to use all or not be able to compete. So it depends on your certain point of view.

Combat in MO looked trash to players not playing it, DFO combat looked trash to players not playing it. What was your point here really ?

Lore is bad in MO ? Wasnt it as bad in DFO aswell ? Cant remember much lore when I was still following it.

Hey folks I was wondering if there are any other Darkfallers besides me looking forward to play Mortal Online 2?
I would be eager to meet some familiar faces again back from Darkfall Online.
- Myrmex
Right here. Started my sandbox gaming in Shadowbane and was lost until DF in '09. Been in the wilderness yet again until I entered MOII this evening. I agree with you on the perspectives with gameplay but I'll happily spend time testing and playing MOII. Change and variety is always good as it leads to forcing a longtime gamer to adapt. In game name Bia Erinyes.

Reactions: MyrmexThraxvágr

Dominatrixx

Nov 23, 2020
@ThaBadMan Usually people who're using too much of "facts" have a limited worldview, you might be a self-proclaimed MO1 critic but you're also obiviously the biggest MO1 fanboy around and I see no point of arguing with you further, because I see no point of forum battle with a fanboy. This topic was made with an intention of gathering DFO people who would like to give MO2 (A TOTALLY NEW GAME) a try, and it has nothing to do with DFO or MO1.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
@ThaBadMan Usually people who're using too much of "facts" have a limited worldview, you might be a self-proclaimed MO1 critic but you're also obiviously the biggest MO1 fanboy around and I see no point of arguing with you further, because I see no point of forum battle with a fanboy. This topic was made with an intention of gathering DFO people who would like to give MO2 (A TOTALLY NEW GAME) a try, and it has nothing to do with DFO or MO1.
Good thing im not a usual person then 😂
You know what self proclaimed means right ? Pretty sure the entire MO community dont agree seeing as they where probably tired of my mass posts 8 years ago.
Yes I used to be the biggest fanboy alittle like yourself although I saw through the flaws and lies, you sadly are still living is that past, I feel sorry for you and will pray for your well being.
You cant simply state you dont want to keep arguing after starting your post arguing...
Myself I like discussing with fanbois like yourself. Gets me all tingly 😂

Very true and we are until your post here staying on topic. You and me are DFO players interested in MO2 and we where just discussing why I think DFO was bad and you where trying your best at fanboi defend it since it was the best game ever because its still here and actively being played...

This was very fun I must say but since you dont like discussing im sure I wont see a reply so kkthxbai.

kiwiitis

Dec 26, 2020
Finally gave up on darkfall .
Managed to get a package to check this version out.Hoping I can still play this one as a gatherer worked ok in MO1,have to see how this one goes.

Oneeye and Baldy from MO1

Regards Gramps

Shin

Dec 2, 2020
If anyone back in 09-10 told me this would be a thread on MO2. No way I would believe them. DFers hated MO with a passion, I made a MO thread on DF forums and damn I got chased away quickly by the angry mob.

Funny seeing how history went 😂

No kidding - they hated on MO on every turn they got.

Now there's arguments here splitting hairs about which game was superior. No winning that one; and it probably depends on which you played longest.

However I'm not seeing any Darkfall 2.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Dominatrixx

Nov 23, 2020
Darkfall 2 (Unholy Wars) already existed, just for your information. Devs made a stupid move and closed DFO instead of developing it further, to make this game, but it failed to repeat DFO success and dev company went bankrupt, and it was already impossible to relieve DFO by that point. That's the only reason official DFO not existing anymore.

OreAird

Jun 21, 2020
Played Darkfall from the day it was released until about a year after the server split. I was the leader of Dogma and the Stasis Alliance for a time. Was a great game of good politics, MO for me is even better.

I played MO since it launched also (before DF) took breaks but kept coming back.

MyrmexThraxvágr

May 28, 2020
France
discord.gg
Played Darkfall from the day it was released until about a year after the server split. I was the leader of Dogma and the Stasis Alliance for a time. Was a great game of good politics, MO for me is even better.

I played MO since it launched also (before DF) took breaks but kept coming back.

Awesome! Glad to have yall with us in Mortal Online 2. The time before the Split was the best of my gaming life!
I am looking forward to the evolvement of this game, hopefully the pvp game will be good if not better than Darkfall. I love putting clever tactics to use with a small troup that takes out big zergs, hopefully this game will give the options. As it looks like there are several armor and weapon types that are efficient against certain types, meaning equipment plays here a much bigger role than just pure skill in combat, feels like true medieval. The logistic backend of the Warfare will be pretty huge.

It'll all be tricky but I hope to see some more familiar darkfall faces aswell to play with as friends or enemies. It's time for us to rewoke what Mortal Online is and push it to the better. We need more outreach in the Darkfall community with this, this game has all the potential it needs. The Life is Feudal community has already taking an Interest and perhaps Ark, Atlas or Last Oasis communities will aswell.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

OreAird

Jun 21, 2020
It's definitely possible, I have been in many underdog fights as well as lost to them when we had many more numbers. Zergs in this game like DF can hinder as well as help.

Status
Not open for further replies.