Nights still too dark

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Nights are still too dark. Makes me want to log out and wait for day. Meduli in a sandy area is playable. Anywhere else is way too dark. I can easily see it having the effect of pop goes down at in game night. Not good for the game.

Reactions: Bernfred

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i agree

maybe @Henrik Nyström has some kind of nightvision or the brightness on his monitors is turned up too high. If you gain a significant advantage from turning up video card gamma settings, then they've made night too dark

dungeons are supposed to have no light and in those cases its ok for it to be very dark, it would be expected even in some cases, but by and large in the rest of the world i'd expect night to not be any hinderance to gameplay. If RP players want a 'realistic' night, allow that from an option in the settings and free the rest of us from the annoyance of having to gamma adjust so we dont get dunked on by the rest of the other community who will obviously gamma adjust to gain an advantage

-barcode

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
yes either they bring real darkness which you cant brighten up with your GPU gamma settings or they add an ingame gamma slider.

Goltarion

Jun 3, 2020
Yeah make it a bit less dark please, or you will have any pvp video at night look like crap cause turned up gamma.
In general it would be a shame to have players feel they need to make their game look bad at night to compete

Reactions: Bernfred

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I would prefer for the darkness to exist, but not be exploitable by gamma. I´m pretty sure I read that this is possible.

Lacking that, I agree that they should design a way where the lighting is less intrusive. The parts that the moon shines on are actually a bit too bright IMO.

But let´s not kid ourselves: the "competetive" players will turn up their gamma regardless. There is always a setting that is best for aiming and target aquisition and it´s never the native one.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Nights are still too dark. Makes me want to log out and wait for day. Meduli in a sandy area is playable. Anywhere else is way too dark. I can easily see it having the effect of pop goes down at in game night. Not good for the game.

I think having the darkness limit what a player can do at that time is basically the idea. This way players have to try to do things before it gets dark. And if you find yourself in the dark then you either continue in the dark, proceed with torches or set up a camp and wait it out. Using any light sources would of coarse lead to you being easily seen by others.

But as mentioned above, none of that really works out when there is the possibility to adjust gamma.

So I am with Eldrath that the darkness is good but it needs to be gamma proof for it to work properly.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I agree that darkness have its place so long its not every night without a moon being pitch black.

But it does promote players to go out in the wild during daytime and gather in cities come nightfall.
Which sounds good, daytime PvP in the wilderness and come night criminals gather at city limits and starts preying on people. Back to the good old days!

Reactions: Svaar and Amadman

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
How is this too dark its basically day time

o0untXM.png

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
no need to make the night bright. the whole essence of the night will be lost. night is needed for an ambush, for reconnaissance, for the deployment of enemy forces, etc. walk with torches to light!

Reactions: Amadman

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
Yeah make it a bit less dark please, or you will have any pvp video at night look like crap cause turned up gamma.
In general it would be a shame to have players feel they need to make their game look bad at night to compete
night pvp should be supported. people must hold torches and illuminate the battlefield for their comrades. this is night gameplay and it's really cool that there are nights like this. As soon as I entered the game, the first thing I liked about the game was the atmospheric night. with the help of the dark night, you can come up with a lot of mechanics than to occupy yourself and the Sogeldians.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
I agree that darkness have its place so long its not every night without a moon being pitch black.

But it does promote players to go out in the wild during daytime and gather in cities come nightfall.
Which sounds good, daytime PvP in the wilderness and come night criminals gather at city limits and starts preying on people. Back to the good old days!
Exactly! Night gameplay no need to do like sun day gameplay!

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
it seems like a good idea on paper, but what it really does is make players log off for the night, and force others to gamma adjust to keep going. Those who dont gamma adjust will get absolutely smoked by those who do, so they will either logoff, quit, or gamma adjust themselves.

just add an 'rp night' setting so players who want to experience it can, and let the rest of us turn it off so we dont have to gamma adjust. Making a game state that motivates the average player to logoff to play something else is not a good idea. sweet jesus i dont know why SV didnt learn this the first time

-barcode

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
it seems like a good idea on paper, but what it really does is make players log off for the night, and force others to gamma adjust to keep going. Those who dont gamma adjust will get absolutely smoked by those who do, so they will either logoff, quit, or gamma adjust themselves.

just add an 'rp night' setting so players who want to experience it can, and let the rest of us turn it off so we dont have to gamma adjust. Making a game state that motivates the average player to logoff to play something else is not a good idea. sweet jesus i dont know why SV didnt learn this the first time

-barcode
I don't adjust gamma

would like to see gamma exploiting be fixed somehow though.

Reactions: Amadman

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I don't adjust gamma

would like to see gamma exploiting be fixed somehow though.
Would be good indeed, but not gonna happen. I can see them eliminating one method through one program. But since there are several ways of "gamma hacking" and through many programs. Its like eradicating cockroaches or rats, kill 1 and 5 takes its place.

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
Night should be dark! If you need to get stuff done in the real game, you do it at night. If you can't handle night time then do it in the day but with more risk because everyone will be out and about.