Poleaxe swing arcs and animations

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
Currently the swing arcs for poleaxes are rather wide and can hit in almost a 150 or so degree arc with a significant radius. From some light testing it would seem to hinder their effectiveness more than anything else as you consistently hit terrain, and more notably, other players who are to the side or back of you. In a teamfight it would likely be one of the worst weapon choices due to this fact. It seems to me that long reach weapons are best suited to a teamfight though as in duels your opponent can simply come closer to force a handle hit. I would suggest attack animations more like the right swing of polearms in mo1, this would reduce the arc to a more usable level and help mitigate some of the issues that come with such great reach. Perhaps a good rule of thumb is for the head of the weapon to never go offscreen when swinging. As always, other opinions and input are welcome.

Reactions: ThaBadMan and Rorry

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I remember from Mo1 that the poleaxe was super underused because it needed two? or more primary skills to even start putting points in it. Is this still the case? haven't gotten on to check the patch yet and dont know if this is the plan for mo2.

It was never terrible in mo1, the steep requirement just made it less lucrative for people who wanted to do multiple other things or pvp. I remember having it specced for some time in mo1 due to our weapon supplies being filled with weapons no one used and having a lot of different weapons you can use was good for when we were doing PVE, megants and some of the sarduccaa content comes to mind.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I remember from Mo1 that the poleaxe was super underused because it needed two? or more primary skills to even start putting points in it. Is this still the case? haven't gotten on to check the patch yet and dont know if this is the plan for mo2.

It was never terrible in mo1, the steep requirement just made it less lucrative for people who wanted to do multiple other things or pvp. I remember having it specced for some time in mo1 due to our weapon supplies being filled with weapons no one used and having a lot of different weapons you can use was good for when we were doing PVE, megants and some of the sarduccaa content comes to mind.
The Polesword was a Poleaxe, or required the skill anyway, so it was used quite alot. People did use halberds which were poleaxes.

Reactions: Rolufe

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Oh yeah, the polesword Completely forgot about that. I never personally digged that. I was always a spear or dagger fan for the most part.

The halberd was sort of rare until very late in the games life if my memory serves me right?
I'm pretty sure we used that for megantons, since it actually had decent piercing and hit like a truck. Although slow.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Oh yeah, the polesword Completely forgot about that. I never personally digged that. I was always a spear or dagger fan for the most part.

The halberd was sort of rare until very late in the games life if my memory serves me right?
I'm pretty sure we used that for megantons, since it actually had decent piercing and hit like a truck. Although slow.
@Rhias Pretty much uses only halberds, he could probably tell you all about it. I'm a simple man gimme a sword or a polesword and i'm happy.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
From my brief testing, the pole axe animations are very janky in general and should be smoothed out or revised.

The thrust and overhead involve very silly jerky movements that make it annoying to land hits with them. The side to side attacks seem alright though.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
@Rhias Pretty much uses only halberds, he could probably tell you all about it. I'm a simple man gimme a sword or a polesword and i'm happy.
I'll make sure to give it a nice trial to see if I like it. I'm trying to get a grip of what I like. I'm a bit torn at the moment, but now with crafting it might change. Seeing as you could get different feeling weapons with crafting last time around (faster but lower dura slashing/piercing weapons using jadeite and some of the other rocks or cheap farming weapons using cuprum, which was heavier and slower as a result of that).

Rhias

May 28, 2020

I used halberds on 2h short handles, which used the axe skill, and not the poleaxe one.
Stamina drain on long handle, and slow speed was too much for me.
Toni used them on long handles. They were pretty effective to sticky hybrids or mage, since you can 3 shot them. But after those 3 hits 0 stamina was left...
And not really that viable on duels... There poleswords were clearly superior.

Reactions: Teknique

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Yeah, I´m a bit bummed that this is no longer possible. Not sure if SV thought this change through.
Actually there is now a light halberd, which has shorter range... So the handle will turn shorter when using it.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Are you saying that the handle length change when you choose a specific head?
It does look like it. Some spear heads are longer out and further in on the handle as well.

Been testing the poleaxes a bit and the heavy head is a hoot, but absolutely horrible to duel with. So I guess it'll be a great anti-mage/bow weapon.

I used halberds on 2h short handles, which used the axe skill, and not the poleaxe one.
Stamina drain on long handle, and slow speed was too much for me.
Toni used them on long handles. They were pretty effective to sticky hybrids or mage, since you can 3 shot them. But after those 3 hits 0 stamina was left...
And not really that viable on duels... There poleswords were clearly superior.

I remember putting halberds on the short handles too, the ridiculous stamina weapons actually had some use, for pve they were ok as long as they were easy enough to land hits with. Another ridiculous stamina heavy weapons that had very niche use was the sniper bows. Can't believe that actually caught on for a bit. Much like my trolling of the entire server with crepite armor, lol.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Are you saying that the handle length change when you choose a specific head?
Yes.
The head contains a handle part, which gets added on top of the base handle.

All weapons below use the same base handle.
(For some reasons the images are displayed really large. Therefore put them in a spoiler).
b5Hh5nS.png

jX0Hr6T.png

w0fiAg3.png

• Sad
Reactions: Waalan

Waalan

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Yes.
The head contains a handle part, which gets added on top of the base handle.

All weapons below use the same base handle.
(For some reasons the images are displayed really large. Therefore put them in a spoiler).
b5Hh5nS.png

jX0Hr6T.png

w0fiAg3.png
This makes me a bit disappointed. I really liked being able to choose the size of the handle and add a head of my choosing in MO 1.

Makes more sense too

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
we'll probably end up getting more handle and head types per genre as time goes on.

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
I think the point I was trying to make was that the swing arcs as they stand are just too damn wide for that large a weapon. It also looks goofy the way that your character charges a side swing. Maybe make it a 50 degree angled swing instead.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
They do feel wonky, but I havent gotten used to them yet.

Atm and until I have more experience with them I both like and dislike the wide arcs for differing reasons.