Light armor useless?

Rdizz

Dec 31, 2021
Why are people in heavy armor able to run me down like nothing? I am an Elf dude with 116 dex 2 clades that add 3% run speed and a 3% run speed buff with light armor... Yet people in heavy armor can just run me down?

Light armor/speed build worthless? What am I missing here?

I have the athletics and armor skills maxed as well.

SegaPhoenix

Dec 14, 2021
Just to clarify, You're sprinting in combat mode right? Max speed in combat mode (weapon/hands out) is greater than that outside of combat mode.

Rdizz

Dec 31, 2021
Just to clarify, You're sprinting in combat mode right? Max speed in combat mode (weapon/hands out) is greater than that outside of combat mode.

ya i noticed, but it doesnt seem to matter. Someone in heavy armor can run me down swinging. Im dropping the "rog" build it seems quite pointless atm.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Yeah, I'd find someone with heavy armor and do a footspeed test. You can see your move speed in your character window changing on the fly as you do things like enter/exit combat mode etc. If you're an Alvarin with high dex, low armor weight, plus clade bonuses someone in heavy armor shouldn't be running you down unless something is wrong.

You may already be using it, but you didn't mention the Alvarin active run speed buff power (you have to put it on your bar and activate it) which should even further separate your run speed. I've seen alvarin bow builds PvPing and just playing with heavy armor folks based on their speed superiority. May also benefit to use the environment to your advantage (ie moving in between trees etc where big 2H weapons can get caught up).

PS, there is no "light armor" right now, everything is kind of considered medium armor at best. Ranger armor, though more rare is your best bet for protection vs weight. Play around with different armor weights and how it affects move speed.

Light armor is more for mages, little protection but no effect on mana regen and slated for next patch.

176872352.58500004_Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 1.53.06 PM.png

Rdizz

Dec 31, 2021
Yeah, I'd find someone with heavy armor and do a footspeed test. You can see your move speed in your character window changing on the fly as you do things like enter/exit combat mode etc. If you're an Alvarin with high dex, low armor weight, plus clade bonuses someone in heavy armor shouldn't be running you down unless something is wrong.

You may already be using it, but you didn't mention the Alvarin active run speed buff power (you have to put it on your bar and activate it) which should even further separate your run speed. I've seen alvarin bow builds PvPing and just playing with heavy armor folks based on their speed superiority. May also benefit to use the environment to your advantage (ie moving in between trees etc where big 2H weapons can get caught up).

I am Alvarin, 116 Dex with Clades and light armor... Using buffs i just get ran down by someone in Heavy armor while they swing away. Simply put you are not faster. The difference between someone in heavy vs a speed build with light is negligible.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
I am Alvarin, 116 Dex with Clades and light armor... Using buffs i just get ran down by someone in Heavy armor while they swing away. Simply put you are not faster. The difference between someone in heavy vs a speed build with light is negligible.

Even if it's negligible, you should not be able to get "run down" unless they are faster. Not to mention you should have less stamina drain and more stamina from your dex, being able to outlast them running as well. Please test with someone (I'm sure you'll find people to do that) as opposed to situations where people have run you down in aggressive PvP and you're not sure how they're doing it.

I know there was some kind of stamina bug this patch, though haven't experienced it so may or may not relate.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Your speed is like 10-20 over fighter builds. Encumber yourself to go 10 or 15. This is how fast you gain on them. As you will notice, that speed wont get you away instantly. It does add up in a long chase, and it does help to sticky someone. If you use swords and try to sticky someone and they get a tiny gap, this is when the speed matters. When you are 20 faster they cant get any gap, because if they get any they lose it immediately. If you are the same speed and they get any gap at all theres now a 0% chance to catch them unless they stam or dont run in a straight line letting you catch up. Obviously only counting 1v1. In reality with groups it doesn't matter because they died to mounted or you died to mounted.

Light armor doesnt effect speed it effects stam regen. Once again, makes a bigger difference the longer the chase.

If mounted are involved I decided to only go alvarin if I didnt need to bow. The speed is much more op than damage bonus. Damage bonus doesnt help when you get zerged. Speed does. When your enemy just runs (most engagements), speed helps to catch them much more than damage bonus.

Not to mention you should have less stamina drain and more stamina from your dex, being able to outlast them running as well.
Alv actually has less stam than most fighters because str and con give stam also give stam, which counters their lower dext. Also Alv and light armor shouldnt effect stam use, only regen, unless SV broke something. Which still adds up over time. But in a 1 stam bar sprint have no effect.

D

Deleted member 44

What's your ping? Once a fight is engaged you have limited ability to run away. If you have bad ping and the opponent has good ping you can't disengage effectively.

Rdizz

Dec 31, 2021
What's your ping? Once a fight is engaged you have limited ability to run away. If you have bad ping and the opponent has good ping you can't disengage effectively.

How do i check ping? All i know is that every fight i get into my "speed" does absolutely nothing. I am constantly ran down while being swung on. My idea of a Rog/ranger build is just not a viable thing. I just dont understand how someone in full heavy armor can chase me down. Its not a stam thing its straight up speed. I cannot gain any ground what so ever.

i have 93 str 116 dex alv with the clades and i wear light armor to keep weight down, i have all skills learned for footspeed, armor, etc etc. Just doesnt make any sense to me.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Only begin to run if your opponent is far away enough, missed a swing, or after a parry. This way you'll gap away before they can hit you most of the time.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Also remind me folks, I think if you're already heavily wounded you get either a stam or move speed debuff as well. So yeah, running from a fight while heavily hurt won't work, you have to decide to leave early on as Tashka says during a gap.

Reactions: SegaPhoenix

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
You have a misconception about armor. Just because someone has heavier armor than you, it does NOT mean that they are slower than you. They could have higher dex and faster move speed than you, especially if they use a clade gift to accelerate after you.

Reactions: SegaPhoenix

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Your speed is like 10-20 over fighter builds. Encumber yourself to go 10 or 15.

this is a legit goodpost, let people actually 'feel it.' Lean veela max dex is opfast. The moment they make the game decent I'm gonna prol buy a second acct ahaha. I need more craft points to self sustain tho. But yea speed is good, it's way more fun. The movement in battle is completely different to what you feel when you are running someone down, cuz you get lulled into this like TICK...TICK...TICK shit where they are either getting a bit further or a bit closer (in most cases) regardless of speed. In actual use, tho, knowing you are gonna catch someone regardless if you know how to manage stam (even use resting pulse a sec, hue, then run em down s'more.)

but light armor yea, it's different. The reason why I like light armor is 1. I'm not taking off taming cuz I wanna be self sufficient, and I'm taking at least MA for transports. Light armor obv is trash on mounts but w/e. and of course 2. when you get people moving around a lot you can really stam people out if you get in their head. Once your stam is low, you are dead, that's why I don't hate stam regen penalties, but maybe a higher pool would be fitting. Either that or boost light armor even more, like I said. And yea it is actually medium armor. None of us are wearing mage sets. I dunno if even magi are lol.

Reactions: Jatix
D

Deleted member 44

How do i check ping? All i know is that every fight i get into my "speed" does absolutely nothing. I am constantly ran down while being swung on. My idea of a Rog/ranger build is just not a viable thing. I just dont understand how someone in full heavy armor can chase me down. Its not a stam thing its straight up speed. I cannot gain any ground what so ever.

i have 93 str 116 dex alv with the clades and i wear light armor to keep weight down, i have all skills learned for footspeed, armor, etc etc. Just doesnt make any sense to me.

I don't know what rog/ranger is.

If you are an NA player, you most likely have bad ping when compared to a EU player. If you are less than 5~20 feet away from someone you cannot guarantee an escape. You will need to back up while parrying attacks and capitalize on a missed attack by the enemy. You are also not the max speed with that build. If I remember correctly, Veela caps out at 121 dex. The heavy armor player will move at his max movement speed unless encumbered, this allows players that use heavy armor to not be completely gimped by their armor/investment. The advantage that you have is that your stamina regen is better than your oppenent and it usually requires more stamina to attack than it does to block.

oykd

Nov 26, 2020
im full veela with 126dex and somehow figther catch up me like nothing . :D

D

Deleted member 44

im full veela with 126dex and somehow figther catch up me like nothing . :D

Unfortunately as I said above, if you have worse ping you're going to get caught. I've been caught by a stout Blainn on my 120 dex Veela. It hurts the soul.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
The reason why is because the Dex curve is flat on the top end past 95-98 extra Dex doesn't do anything really for you as the Fighters have almost 100 more stamina than you, they will catch you this is a problem they tried to fix with the stam regeneration changes but still isn't effective enough Dex is next to the most useless stat because even the high dex players have less stam because of High Strength and Constitution pools of the Meta classes like Ogh and Thursars

Stam is King

so essentially you're 2-4% faster but they spend a lot more time in running, and if you stam out the punishment for staming will get you caught if they manage stam correctly and if they have more stam than you as you run, it's an easy catch unfortunately unless you have a really big headstart and they are stammed when they try to chase, but if they have full stam its an uphill battle on Alvarin

Small changes to the Alvarin will get them better stam pools like the Fighter builds, but if you're mage you're essentially made to be caught unless you're kite sprinting way before they are in range of you

Last edited:

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
Don't run when someone is on top of you. If someone is already in melee range and you give them your back, the speed difference isn't going to be great enough to immediately be out of range. What you do is get a little distance, 5 or so yards, and then run. And, as other have pointed out, be sure your weapon is out when you want to be max speed. A lot of new players try to turn and run from me when I'm already on top of them, and if someone is in weak armor I only need 3-4 solid hits to kill them, which I can get if I am on top of them.

And as others have pointed out, ping is a factor if you're cutting it really close with range. When you've got a few hours logged in the game, you can better gauge range and distance because you will be used to the feeling. Practice and experience.