Stam penalty change is horrible

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Nobody asked for medium armors to suck. They asked for Heavy Armors to be viable.

Look at this. 6% stamina penalty on 12kg of armor? What even is this. Prior to this patch, I could have worn a steel helmet with full ironbone and had this level of stam regen that I have now without even a full set of armor equipped. The solution to making metal armors good was not to make every other kind of armor trash, Starvault. I'm so disappointed...

1633030963617.png

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Looks like one step forward two steps back. Ill do expermenting and play with the new changes before Im sure but going into it, it does look like a bad change.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Looks like one step forward two steps back. Ill do expermenting and play with the new changes before Im sure but going into it, it does look like a bad change.
I mean I was already playing a self-healing mounted archer. That build didn't need to be stronger, it was already hilariously broken. But now thanks to this change, I can just go ahead and up to full steel armor and laugh at anyone trying to hurt me while they stam out trying to do anything about it.

Pech

Sep 5, 2021
Out of all the changes we have gotten this is definitly the worse. Footfighters are already in a tough spot. Cant see how nerfing them like this was at all a priority

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Out of all the changes we have gotten this is definitly the worse. Footfighters are already in a tough spot. Cant see how nerfing them like this was at all a priority
I hope you like the taste of mounted fatmage hitting you for 60s, because your steel won't mean shit.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I mean I was already playing a self-healing mounted archer. That build didn't need to be stronger, it was already hilariously broken. But now thanks to this change, I can just go ahead and up to full steel armor and laugh at anyone trying to hurt me while they stam out trying to do anything about it.
Im playing the same. Its looked like a FF nerf to me. Im am happy that steel is a bit more viable to wear for more builds now. I currently think they should have lowered the weight a little bit more or increased the benfit from heavy armor training.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Im playing the same. Its looked like a FF nerf to me. Im am happy that steel is a bit more viable to wear for more builds now. I currently think they should have lowered the weight a little bit more or increased the benfit from heavy armor training.
It's hilarious. I have zero incentive to ever get off my mount now and give them a fair fight after I dismount them.

Pech

Sep 5, 2021
I still need to actually test the change out myself. Making steel lighter is good but honestly with this change I think they'd need to lower majority of the materials weights to be viable again. Hurting our stamina while wearing armor while FF's already struggle to keep up against mounted players just seems like such a wild change.

I honestly just want this change reverted. I need to test out if I can even reasonably still wear my messing sets but I dont think weight on armor needed to be tweaked apart from some material weights. This seems like changing too much for the sake of changing things.

Last edited:

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
How about we actually put these changes into practice in fights etc. first before jumping to any conclusions about how bad it is - on DAY 1.

Resistance to change is normal, and this presents itself as a mindset shift that we will have to undertake. That said, the new approach seems both more intuitive and gives greater reason to consider armor across THE ENTIRE WEIGHT SCALE. It's no longer some strange point break mechanic of weights that pigeonholed everyone into wearing the same tier regardless of any perceived choice in their build.

Additionally, this gives lighter armors a role in melee combat without buffing values outside the existing armor weight class considerations (stam, jump, mana, speed etc). You now in effect have a meaningful decision to make when it comes to your armor class, in the form of greater endurance/mobility vs durability.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i think it makes sense to only give mages and nakeds the 101% regen but its clearly bad balanced towards fat dwarfs.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
How about we actually put these changes into practice in fights etc. first before jumping to any conclusions about how bad it is - on DAY 1.

Resistance to change is normal, and this presents itself as a mindset shift that we will have to undertake. That said, the new approach seems both more intuitive and gives greater reason to consider armor across THE ENTIRE WEIGHT SCALE. It's no longer some strange point break mechanic of weights that pigeonholed everyone into wearing the same tier regardless of any perceived choice in their build.

Additionally, this gives lighter armors a role in melee combat without buffing values outside the existing armor weight class considerations (stam, jump, mana, speed etc). You now in effect have a meaningful decision to make when it comes to your armor class, in the form of greater endurance/mobility vs durability.
Explain to me how a stamina AND jump height penalty on scale armor is a good change. Let's just go with I'm stupid so explain it very thoroughly.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Explain to me how a stamina AND jump height penalty on scale armor is a good change. Let's just go with I'm stupid so explain it very thoroughly.
i think my post is the explanation, any form of protection comes with drawbacks, the armor skill only increases your limit now.
it is bad balanced now because of the non-balanced mounted warriors but it makes sense in the end like the change of the INT curve to be more fluid with the various builds. if you think about it IRL every weight unit on your body more gives you penaltys too.
imo they need to change the armor-stampenalty curve so you lose only a tiny amount with a 15kg set.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Please explain to me why scale armor was OP and needed to be nerfed. I must be too stupid to understand.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Please explain to me why scale armor was OP and needed to be nerfed. I must be too stupid to understand.
like i said, its not about medium armor, this is just the endoutcome of a bad curve. imagine with a different curve 3% for 15kg and 80% for heavy armor, it would actually mean a medium armor buff.

It's only 6% so why not just make it 100%?
to give a reason to save every weight unit. this makes armor crafting better too.

Reactions: PatWins

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
No it does not. It makes armor crafting worse. The amount of options for weight distribution got even worse with this change. If you're at 8% stam penalty for trashy bone armor, you may as well just drop the remaining 5% and go full 27kg armor.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Let me explain this in a more detailed fashion since people don't seem to get it. Previously, you had the option of going with scaled legs and arms to wear steel chest and helmet if you cared about stamina. This would have enabled you to maximize your defenses where you get hit the most (in fact, you could even have worn an Ironbone or Steel arm for builds/playstyles that get hit in one Arm a lot) while maintaining your stamina regen at 14.56-14.89 kg armor. You had tradeoffs in that certain areas were vulnerable, but for the majority of areas you got hit a lot you could maximize your defense/stamina.

Now, that same blend would have a big fat 8% stam penalty while being vulnerable for no real gain. Instead you could just drop the 5% and be fully protected everywhere, which is a no-brainer. There's no reason to mix-match armor when you can just have 60-70 defense EVERYWHERE for little tradeoff.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Let me explain this in a more detailed fashion since people don't seem to get it. Previously, you had the option of going with scaled legs and arms to wear steel chest and helmet if you cared about stamina. This would have enabled you to maximize your defenses where you get hit the most (in fact, you could even have worn an Ironbone or Steel arm for builds/playstyles that get hit in one Arm a lot) while maintaining your stamina regen at 14.56-14.89 kg armor. You had tradeoffs in that certain areas were vulnerable, but for the majority of areas you got hit a lot you could maximize your defense/stamina.

Now, that same blend would have a big fat 8% stam penalty while being vulnerable for no real gain. Instead you could just drop the 5% and be fully protected everywhere, which is a no-brainer. There's no reason to mix-match armor when you can just have 60-70 defense EVERYWHERE for little tradeoff.
yes because the curve is possibly bad. now its all about the armor carry limit. i still need to mix my parts for the best defence/weight(stam regen) ratio.

Last edited: