Why we don´t need Haven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
Lastly I still don´t see a concise argument why MO2 needs a fancy tutorials when dozens of other games that are just as difficult to learn and hardcore don´t. What exactly is the difficulty that cannot be solved by improving the UI and intuitiv gameplay?

Henrik has talked about the statistics on player retention and how an overwhelming majority of people quit after only a very short time in game.

I'm willing to give SV the benefit of the doubt that the data/feedback they have on why people quit so abruptly means a tutorial Island will improve that retention rate.

The difficulty is the depth of what players can do, and the limited feedback they get while doing so. There aren't a ton of tool tips or straightforward ways to explain every system in MO, a lot of it has to be figured out by the player.

If they decided to explain systems like taming, do we want tooltips that say "in order to tame you need taming skill and lores. You need to cook carcass to raise your lores or read a book, and not everything can be tamed"

Thats the kind of hand holding i expect to see in other games that doesn't let players figure things out on their own, which is part of what makes MO special.

And I think thats what SV is looking at, players who would otherwise enjoy MO and figuring out the different systems, but get frustrated upon being murdered before they get a basic understanding of the game, they just give up on it.

I dont know how a UI design can compensate for that without sacrificing a large part of what makes MO special.

Reactions: Speznat and Kaemik

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
Henrik has talked about the statistics on player retention and how an overwhelming majority of people quit after only a very short time in game.

Here's a short list of reasons why people might quit MO almost immediately.

Bugs, horrible clunky AI, ugly dated graphics, getting stuck constantly, interacting with water at all, lack of information on tooltips, lack of information about weight movement and inventory, a huge green arrow at the top of their screen incase they are below 70 IQ, counter-intuitive system design, bland and ugly game world, static and boring mobs, complicated (not complex) crafting, bad animations, a much slower movement speed than other games, an inability to participate in PVE with magic. I could go on. and on, we all know this.

Here's why people do not leave an appropriately advertised Full loot PVP sandbox game immediately after installing...because it's a full loot pvp sandbox game.

There is no reason to pretend that it's because of some massive PvP slaughter-fest. It's beyond fantasy at this point. Fix the game, polish the game, don't erase the entire point of having this niche project in the first place.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
@barcode

Yes, you could make the island so shit that there is no point in staying there. That is not what Haven currently is and I have not seen SV making any comment on their determination to change that. Why would you assume that this core concept has changed?

Also what exactly would be the difference from the Tindrem gardens after they locked the gates? Just as an overflow protection for launch?

Then you also argue for player to seemingly stay on Haven forever, which is basically calling for a PvE server. That confuses me.
its true, theres a lot of caveats in what i've suggested, including some radical changes to the existing haven. the fact remains that there will (hopefully) be a large influx of players on launch and they need to go *somewhere*. you could put them in a queue and have them wait to play the game they paid for, or you can spin up multiple instances of haven and have them make the choice to get a chance to experience the game a bit before being thrown to the wolves or just jumping directly into the gaping maw.

if people decide to stay on haven, clearly they're not the target audience for the game. just the same, why would you prevent them from staying if they so choose? i expect the number of people doing so will be vanishingly small, if there are any at all. they would simply stop playing rather than exist in haven for unknown reasons

shoehorning the tutorial into the game world was a bad choice, yellow flags in myrland was a bad choice, at least with haven the players should have the ability to pick their starting city in myrland, spreading out the new player population rather than concentrating them in two areas.

-barcode

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
nothing stopping you from asking the new players to come join you in myrland where you can do so.

-barcode
One thing that is bothering me is that people equate an option with nothing or no option.

They are indeed different actually.

To me its unclear whether the option is statistically different than the no option scenario.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.

I'm willing to give SV the benefit of the doubt that the data/feedback they have on why people quit so abruptly means a tutorial Island will improve that retention rate.

The difficulty is the depth of what players can do, and the limited feedback they get while doing so. There aren't a ton of tool tips or straightforward ways to explain every system in MO, a lot of it has to be figured out by the player.

If they decided to explain systems like taming, do we want tooltips that say "in order to tame you need taming skill and lores. You need to cook carcass to raise your lores or read a book, and not everything can be tamed"

Thats the kind of hand holding i expect to see in other games that doesn't let players figure things out on their own, which is part of what makes MO special.

And I think thats what SV is looking at, players who would otherwise enjoy MO and figuring out the different systems, but get frustrated upon being murdered before they get a basic understanding of the game, they just give up on it.

I dont know how a UI design can compensate for that without sacrificing a large part of what makes MO special.

I think Godkin answered your first point adequately. Putting the poor retention rate on the lack of a tutorial is easier than admitting that they made a game that was crappy in terms of UI, AI and virtually every system a new player had to interact with. Those that stuck around, stuck around dispite all of those problems.

Actually all information a new player needs is already in the skill description. How is a tool tip over the taming icon explaining how the actual mechanic works hand holding? That´s exactly what a game should tell the player. Ideally everything is so intuitiv that very little explaination is needed, but I think we are past that point in Mortal design.

Let´s say someone learns mining (or it might just be activated from the start). Here is the tool tip:

When close to a stone resource press R to begin mining. The amount of resources you get with every 2 swings is dermined by your mining skill and the lore skill of the resource you are gathering. After a while the source you are mining will be depleted and you have to move to another if you want to continue mining. Sources slowly refill over time. Any material mined can further processed by using extraction machine like a crusher.
!Be careful not to gather too many resources, since that will slow you down!
!Be mindful that mining exposes you for being attacked by someone who want your rocks!

I´m sure a native speaker could condense this even more. This gives you all the information you need to understand how mining works but leaves a lot to be discovered.

Yes, players will be discouraged when being killed. That´s part of the game. I´m actually not arguing that they should all spawn in Gaul Kor.

I would love a questionaire that answer me how many players actually read the basic information on the game, paid 40 bucks and then quit out of frustration because of being killed while they learned to mine a rock. It does not sound very credible to me tbh.

What I think is credible is someone falling through the world after teleporting to the priest, because they drowned in a childrens swimming pool.

@barcode

Player have stayed on Haven. That is a fact.

If you make Haven fun enough to stay on, players will do so. Those that stay will argue that they should have more content. Depending on SVs desperation levels at that point in time they might grant it. Again, this is what happened with similar systems in Mortal Online 1.

Desperation levels might be high, because a bunch of people quit because swimming was still broken at launch. Because no one had time fixing it because the tutorial interactions had to be worked on.

That is the reality of SVs resources at the moment. Deny it at your own peril.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
how many people have stayed on haven and are actively playing there vs being some vet's alt who is there either for recruiting newbies or for the luls? i believe this fear of people staying is a bit overblown.

i've suggested many changes to haven that would make it more palatable. smaller, more streamlined, less materials, actual tutorial sections, etc. does sv have the time/manpower to spend on an improved new player experience? or rather, can sv afford to not spend the time on it? surely they've crunched the numbers by now and know if haven has helped retention or not. certainly they have numbers from the previous disaster of a steam launch as well

we all want an expansive, living, breathing nave. the more people the better (up to a limit). of course priority has to be making the game actually work and not be in the horrible state it is in now (tho somehow i doubt swimming will be the straw that breaks the camel's back in this case). that doesnt mean you cant also have developers looking at the haven and how it can be improved (no, not by adding more, but by removing the excess).

-barcode

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Here's why people do not leave an appropriately advertised Full loot PVP sandbox game immediately after installing...because it's a full loot pvp sandbox game.

There is no reason to pretend that it's because of some massive PvP slaughter-fest. It's beyond fantasy at this point. Fix the game, polish the game, don't erase the entire point of having this niche project in the first place.

Nobody is even arguing that point against you. Haven should be over for the general player fairly quickly if it's done well. Like nobody here is saying it should be its own continent that's actually designed to be equal to Myrland. We're saying newbs shouldn't be rushed through their tutorial or denied one entirely just to appease your irrational paranoia.

The point should be to go there, quickly learn the basics of the game move to Myrland. Guides should be teaching people things like "10 advanced tips for combat" not "The basic keybinds of combat and how to interact with objects". By the point you have people looking up guides for things that basic you've already lost a significant percentage of your potential audience.

Last edited:

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
Actually all information a new player needs is already in the skill description. How is a tool tip over the taming icon explaining how the actual mechanic works hand holding? That´s exactly what a game should tell the player. Ideally everything is so intuitiv that very little explaination is needed, but I think we are past that point in Mortal design.

Let´s say someone learns mining (or it might just be activated from the start). Here is the tool tip:

When close to a stone resource press R to begin mining. The amount of resources you get with every 2 swings is dermined by your mining skill and the lore skill of the resource you are gathering. After a while the source you are mining will be depleted and you have to move to another if you want to continue mining. Sources slowly refill over time. Any material mined can further processed by using extraction machine like a crusher.
!Be careful not to gather too many resources, since that will slow you down!
!Be mindful that mining exposes you for being attacked by someone who want your rocks!

Yes, this would be the 'best-chance' scenario for the current state of gameplay, why spend opportunity cost in resources making bandaid tutorials and a Haven to attempt to bridge the massive gap spanning inconsistency and unintuitive gameplay in a deep dive sand box.
Water just happens to be a flagship of that inconsistency.

the golden rules of player retention have been guessed and and even defined somewhat, i've never seen mention of tutorials and starter islands, or anything akin to that mode of introduction

this is an interesting read;

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Raph gets constantly blasted for doing things players don't like on the Crowfall forums. I wouldn't conclude you don't need a tutorial just because Raph says you don't (Or rather doesn't say you do). Funny enough Crowfall is the only game I've made a guide for that explains literally everything and while it was my first video guide ever and could probably be condensed a bit, it's a 6 part video series with a total runtime of roughly an hour.

I haven't played Crowfall in months but last time I heard even they were working on a tutorial to enhance the new-player experience. And they've had have the newb dedicated "God's Reach" area separate from the main campaigns for awhile now.

So is that what you want every single newb coming into MO2 to need to watch? An hour's worth of videos they may not even realize exists to learn the basics of gameplay?

I can make a more condensed version for MO2, and I have a better mic to work with now / a bit more guide making experience under my belt. I'd probably mix a text guide with embedded videos at this point so users can skip to the content that concerns them easier. But most players will quit before they ever see it. I'd rather cover more advanced subjects that shouldn't be in a tutorial.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vagrant

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
"So is that what you want every single newb coming into MO2 to need to watch? An hour's worth of videos they may not even realize exists to learn the basics of gameplay? "

no, just consistent and intuitive.

(edit - yes i'd hope they see such a video before even paying since it's not likely to have an F2P model)

Last edited:

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
I can make a more condensed version for MO2, and I have a better mic to work with now / a bit more guide making experience under my belt. I'd probably mix a text guide with embedded videos at this point so users can skip to the content that concerns them easier. But most players will quit before they ever see it. I'd rather cover more advanced subjects that shouldn't be in a tutorial.

sorry for the short reply, it really sums up my thoughts though.

failing that i mean what you're suggesting would most certainly help people, it definitely sounds time consuming, but hey it's community content and that's also key.
i have no problem with MO myself but i do remember how infuriating it was at first, there was so much unintuitive trial and error, the light bulb only came on once a few people actually walked/ran us through stuff, the empathy is real :)

a lot of what i say is very much just based on my own early days/weeks when the only hints were guys with vids on youtube like @Amadman and others, they showed us what we could expect if we persisted through that unintuitive rough start that was Tindrem Gardens lol

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I believe in this game and want to see it succeed. So if there is no tutorial / a bad tutorial you're going to see me produce something that's dramatically better than what I made for the Crowfall alpha.

That being said, as I pointed out, most people will quit before they ever see it. I don't think there is any more worthy investment for the MO2 team than a great tutorial. It might not seem important to people who already know the basics but nothing could be more valuable to new player retention and anyone who really cares about this game should really care about that. Infact, I'd go so far as to say that if anyone DOESN'T care about new player retention that SV should ignore literally all of their feedback as people like that cause games to fail. And if I don't have to make an incredibly lengthy starter guide, there are like 5 other subjects I can think of I want to do guides on when the systems are more finalized.

Last edited:

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
One possibility is that the larger point for Haven is that Devs, particularly those coordinating Haven, find it more convenient. They may assume it's simply easier to create a tiny box where they have full control and aren't limited by the overall game vision to 'perfect' it. I could sympathize with this, except it shouldn't impact the overall game, and it currently does, and always will if it doesn't contend with the principles of the game's design.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020

I agree, those are all valid reasons why someone would quit.

I think you'd also agree there are many examples of games (MO included) where people end up loving a game despite its quirks. How many of us fall into that category here with MO?

I'm not saying people are quitting solely because its full loot pvp and thats the only issue. I'm saying this:

MO is an acquired taste.

Is someone more or less likely to aquire that taste in an environment where they can experience the different systems without having to worry about getting killed constantly?

I'm not going to sit here and claim bugs, poor ui, underdeveloped mechanics etc dont lead to people quitting, that'd be silly.

At the same time I think its equally silly to claim that people haven't been chased out of the game before they were able to experience a large part of the game which might have kept them around.

I guess thats the lingering question, do you think that there is no cost to having everyone's initial experience be trial by fire?

Is a slow introduction always bad, or just this specific implementation?

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
I agree, those are all valid reasons why someone would quit.

I think you'd also agree there are many examples of games (MO included) where people end up loving a game despite its quirks. How many of us fall into that category here with MO? If by quirks you mean the lengthy and very partial list of terrible aspects, it's rare. I'd say about 500 people globally in MO's case. Fix the aspects don't change the core. The core design says one game world, no separate servers for pve and pvp.

I'm not saying people are quitting solely because its full loot pvp and thats the only issue. I'm saying this:

MO is an acquired taste. It might be, not sure. I liked it immediately. But I can understand how that supports your conclusion.

Is someone more or less likely to aquire that taste in an environment where they can experience the different systems without having to worry about getting killed constantly? What?

I'm not going to sit here and claim bugs, poor ui, underdeveloped mechanics etc dont lead to people quitting, that'd be silly. Glad to see there is a floor. Perhaps they fix those things before radically altering the design and biggest draw of the game.

At the same time I think its equally silly to claim that people haven't been chased out of the game before they were able to experience a large part of the game which might have kept them around. Your main point. "Chased" is a large part of the game Yeonan. It's not an inconvenient distraction while you mine rocks or fight bandits. The game is not the part you do without players. This is a difference in perspective that will always surface. No one should ever "fall in love" with MO without the player interaction. It's manipulative and will continue to have shitty consequences for MO overall.

I guess thats the lingering question, do you think that there is no cost to having everyone's initial experience be trial by fire? What fire? The core game design? Of course. As it was for 7 years until they became desperate. That's literally the main point of the post by Eldrath and everything I've written.

Is a slow introduction always bad, or just this specific implementation? What?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
A tutorial area is not a "Separate PVE" server. It's somewhere they can learn the basics like what keybind you use to swing a sword or how to interact with a mining node without trash tier bottom feeders running along and ganking them as they do so.

A separate PVE server would be if Haven were in any way treated as an equal to Myrland as opposed to a very temporary place to learn the most basic mechanics. Which absolutely nobody here is in favor of.

Last edited:

NINEN

Dec 20, 2020
Honestly, this topic is a great example of just how far out in left field an argument can get.

Both sides plead their case with such extreme sincerity, but honestly its just a starter island. Would it really matter either way?

1609819542952.png

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Honestly, this topic is a great example of just how far out in left field an argument can get.

Both sides plead their case with such extreme sincerity, but honestly its just a starter island. Would it really matter either way?

View attachment 664

Honestly, this comment is a great example of just how pointless it can be to speak like this.

It's as if you come in and give to the community a moment of enlightenment, but honestly it's just a pointless comment. Why make them?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

Yes. The negative side effects are being way overblown but the potential positives are hard to overstate. An engaging/intuitive tutorial experience is the first chance for a game to interact with it's players and either draw them in, or push them away.

Historically sandbox MMOs have a very high tendency to push players away. This is why you've seen successful ones like EVE invest a lot of time into tutorial improvement. It's tutorial as of a couple years ago when I last made a new character is pretty on par with the kind of standards I think MO2 should set if they want to be successful.

Like the aforementioned Fable 1, a good tutorial doesn't even need to feel like a tutorial. It can be fun, engaging, a natural part of the game. I've played through Fable 1 multiple times and I would never even want to skip to the tutorial despite learning nothing from it because it does such a good job of getting a feel for who your character is and immersing you in the game's world.

A good tutorial isn't just a chance to learn the game's mechanics. It's an experience all of its own that can set the hook in a player's mouth and leave them hungry for more of what your game has to offer.

This obviously is not the primary mechanic that old-timers are going to care about because we know how to play the game. But if you want to see this community grow and thrive you SHOULD care about it. A lot.

And you can't tell me with a little community support that SV, even as an indie developer, is incapable of making a tutorial that measures up to a 2004 game.

Last edited:

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I've decided to make a list of my own pros and cons of having 'Haven'. These are through my eyes, and therefore are subjective. Some items will be objective however for the sake that they -would- be present / happen and I will outline them with an asterisk *.

Pros:

- Teaches players basic concepts and mechanics.
- Gives a memorable starter experience.
- Players are given a single re-roll token to fix race mistakes. *
- Separates veteran players from new players temporarily.
- New players wouldn't get griefed nearly as much.
- Vendors, tutors, librarians, etc. are more compact and easy to find.
- New players could build up better funds in the early game as opposed to struggling without Haven.
- Could offer Haven-only cosmetic like items for participation. (i.e. Bandit Tabard, capes, etc.)
- The starting experience is easier.
- Your items are safe in the lootbag, even if you die.

Cons:

- Does a bad job of introducing PvP to new players.
- Doesn't teach players loss properly.
- Doesn't allow players to fully experience 'griefing' which is very much apart of MO.
- Doesn't have as unique and or organic of an experience if there was no Haven.
- Sets expectations of a game. Haven could be amazing looking, to play on, etc. Then once they go to Myrland their experience 180's and is terrible. (Look at a game like Project Gorgon for an example of this. Amazing and interesting tutorial, but the normal gameplay is pretty below average.)
- Doesn't teach players to teach themselves.
- Doesn't expose them to other materials, creature types, etc.
- Difficulty will radically change upon leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.