Why has taming so much RNG in it

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Oh my god

I've recently started doing a tamer build and I hate the fact that even with max taming and zoology you're forced to rely on RNGesus to have a chance to tame any high level pet that's any good.

Why does a master tamer for example have to hold semi-high level bear in one spot for even hours because it's supposedly to high level to tame so the taming chance is extremely low.

Who likes or thought that it's a good idea to put RNG mechanics into such system. It's honestly so annoying for no good reason.

D

Dracu

I recently learned that RNG and variation in outcome can be engaging since its not predictable and monotone... Or something like that... So... Are you engaged?

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
rng with zero player input is lazy uninspired game design - infinite ability to make an engaging system where the player has at least some influence on the outcome, even an element of rng is in play.

Here's one i thought of in 5s: have each animal make a series of calls/emotes during the taming process at random intervals. Give the player some kind of action/emote that is like a counter to those where if you provide the right taming action to the right animal distress call/emote, you fill the taming gauge, and if you choose the wrong one you lose progress, with progress related to your taming skill relative to the animals taming difficulty.

Bit of rng as to what call you need, and a bit of discovery to figure out what each animals emote/calls mean and which emote/call of your own to counter with. Perfect mix of rng combined with game skill combined with player game knowledge.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Oh my god

I've recently started doing a tamer build and I hate the fact that even with max taming and zoology you're forced to rely on RNGesus to have a chance to tame any high level pet that's any good.

Why does a master tamer for example have to hold semi-high level bear in one spot for even hours because it's supposedly to high level to tame so the taming chance is extremely low.

Who likes or thought that it's a good idea to put RNG mechanics into such system. It's honestly so annoying for no good reason.

You should actually be super happy that you can tame them, lol taming a high lvl pet is pure RNG for sure, but mainly we useta just clear the spawn. I'm pretty sure there were close to untamable things in MO1. There were def creatures I never tamed at lvl 100 (highest they could be in wild before.)

D

Dracu

rng with zero player input is lazy uninspired game design - infinite ability to make an engaging system where the player has at least some influence on the outcome, even an element of rng is in play.

Here's one i thought of in 5s: have each animal make a series of calls/emotes during the taming process at random intervals. Give the player some kind of action/emote that is like a counter to those where if you provide the right taming action to the right animal distress call/emote, you fill the taming gauge, and if you choose the wrong one you lose progress, with progress related to your taming skill relative to the animals taming difficulty.

Bit of rng as to what call you need, and a bit of discovery to figure out what each animals emote/calls mean and which emote/call of your own to counter with. Perfect mix of rng combined with game skill combined with player game knowledge.
This.... Is a good suggestion

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
Ok just today tried to tame freshly spawned adult white brear. Was there taming it every 5 seconds failing for 2 hours, never got past first quarter of the taming bar. I have zoology maxed out for Ursidae and ofc 100 taming yet I can't even half the taming bar on a fresh spawn white bear which doesn't even have to be that high level, even lvl 30 might already be too much to be tameable considering that baby bear is level 1 and can be tamed fairly quick.

I seriously doubt this is just bad luck, it probably is just impossible. It would soothe my soul if I knew if someone was ever actually able to tame adult white bear.
Also, this was the case for higher leveled black bears too so I assume it's like this for every animal group that's any good. Seriously this is imo ridiculous, fully focused tamer build should be able to at least have a chance to tame all tamebale animals withing reasonable amount of time.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
Yeap, tamer gameplay: stand still next to creatures for hours holding tame button, smack every once in a while. After that you get to afk next to the pet for a few days to level it up, then you can go to a fight and you can press one button and witness the magnificent AI do the work (which means your pet is gone most likely). Also apart from the rarest pets maybe your pet isn't a match for even one risar soldier even if you constantly heal it.

But that's just great game design ha

Don't forget the amount of points you allocated and grinded for this superb experience.

• Haha
Reactions: Teknique