Who thought handle hitting was a good idea?

Monco

May 28, 2020
Not only it's a good idea, it was actually better when handle hits were doing way less damage. It's a skill based mechanic, get used to hit with the proper part of your weapon of choice.

Backpackface

Jul 18, 2021
Not only it's a good idea, it was actually better when handle hits were actually doing way less damage. It's a skill based mechanic, get used to hit with the proper part of your weapon of choice.
It's a trash tier idea. That's why this is the only game who does it. It's because every other developer thought about it, tried it and said this is not fun this is stupid and moved on.

Reactions: Gnidex

Monco

May 28, 2020
It's a trash tier idea. That's why this is the only game who does it. It's because every other developer thought about it, tried it and said this is not fun this is stupid and moved on.
I come from a game named Life is Feudal, it's also directional melee based and handle hits are a thing there too.
I'd suggest you to improve and learn to get less handle hits with your weapon of choice. If you feel like you can't then I'd suggest switching to a weapon which is going to make handle hits less likely to happen such as a sword, a dagger or a spear. If you feel like you're so bad that you can't even use those there's always magic or pets/walkers.
It's actually a very good idea as it improves the combat system adding an additional layer of skill, hitting with the proper part of your weapon.

Backpackface

Jul 18, 2021
I come from a game named Life is Feudal, it's also directional melee based and handle hits are a thing there too.
I'd suggest you to improve and learn to get less handle hits with your weapon of choice. If you feel like you can't then I'd suggest switching to a weapon which is going to make handle hits less likely to happen such as a sword, a dagger or a spear. If you feel like you're so bad that you can't even use those there's always magic or pets/walkers.
It's actually a very good idea as it improves the combat system adding an additional layer of skill, hitting with the proper part of your weapon.
Another failed game tried this. Great.

It's a terrible idea. 98% of people can figure out why this is a terrible idea. Doesn't even make sense. If we took MO2 for reference you would think master swordsman are running around in combat hitting people with their handles. I'm gonna go buy a sword swing it at someone and hit them with my handle. It's so ridiculous. Doesn't make any sense. Isn't fun at all. Just frustrating. Every other game developer with a melle combat system has scrapped this idea and the one that you quote failed because obviously those devs were in bizarro land as well where they somehow know better than the people who actually know what they are doing and have a proven track record of making great games.

Monco

May 28, 2020
Another failed game tried this. Great.

It's a terrible idea. 98% of people can figure out why this is a terrible idea. Doesn't even make sense. If we took MO2 for reference you would think master swordsman are running around in combat hitting people with their handles. I'm gonna go buy a sword swing it at someone and hit them with my handle. It's so ridiculous. Doesn't make any sense. Isn't fun at all. Just frustrating. Every other game developer with a melle combat system has scrapped this idea and the one that you quote failed because obviously those devs were in bizarro land where nothing makes sense and they somehow know better than the people who actually know what they are doing and have a proven track record of making great games.
I get it, you're bad at the game and want handle hits to go because somehow it's too difficult for you to aim properly. Sorry, but we like the melee combat to be skill based here. We like handle hits. You want easy? Get pets and magic, don't even bother with melee.

Backpackface

Jul 18, 2021
I get it, you're bad at the game and want handle hits to go because somehow it's too difficult for you to aim properly. Sorry, but we like the combat to be skill based here. We like handle hits.
It's not about skill it's about fun. The system doesn't even work consistently because of ping/fps drops/lag. I'm sorry you lack the intelligence to figure these things out. You can say 'we' all you want but in reality the majority of people are going to strongly agree with me.

Doesn't even make sense.

Last edited:

Monco

May 28, 2020
It's not about skill it's about fun. The system doesn't even work consistently because of ping. I'm sorry you lack the intelligence to figure these things out. You can say 'we' all you want but in reality the majority of people are going to strongly agree with me.

Doesn't even make sense.
Wrong. As an attacker if you handle hit someone it's 100% your fault. In this game when you hit someone it's client authoritative so if you hit a player you will hit him with whichever part of your weapon landed on him. The only thing you cannot do consistently is forcing handle hits from your opponent as a way of defence.

Monco

May 28, 2020
Do you not see people desync? Just okay have your opinion. You hated handle hitting just as much as anyone else but you unlike most people have no life so you sit there put 4000 hours into a game over a 2 year period and then demand everyone else get frustrated by the same stuff that frustrated the fuck out of you.

Guess what dude. You can take your 4000 hours and put it in the garbage because the game is going to be dead very soon as there are too many stupid ideas lingering around for it to be successful and one of them is handle hits.

It's dumb AF. Imagine grabbing a sword swinging at someone and hitting them with the fucking handle. You'd have to be severely handicapped. Severely handicapped like this games combat system.

It's so bad.
I always loved handle hits, they make it so bad players like you can land less good hits because you don't know how to aim and hit properly. If you handle hit someone it's your fault for not having aimed properly, it's not desync.
It's literally impossible in this game to hit a player with the proper part of the weapon and get a handle hit because the game trusts the attacker client when checking for the hit so don't blame desync for being bad at the melee combat.

Backpackface

Jul 18, 2021
I always loved handle hits, they make it so bad players like you can land less good hits because you don't know how to aim and hit properly. If you handle hit someone it's your fault for not having aimed properly, it's not desync.
It's literally impossible in this game to hit a player with the proper part of the weapon and get a handle hit because the game trusts the attacker client when checking for the hit so don't blame desync for being bad at the melee combat.
Yea and I bet you love looking at the ground while you swing your weapon to get hits in like everyone else. You are a very very intelligent person. You should be a game designer. Your ideas are creme of the crop. Ubisoft would be jealous of your incredible intelligence. They are only making hundreds of millions but with you I'm sure there games could make billions.

Your perspective is brilliant. Wow. 300 IQ. Amazing.

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
Yea and I bet you love looking at the ground while you swing your weapon to get hits in like everyone else. You are a very very intelligent person. You should be a game designer. Your ideas are creme of the crop. Ubisoft would be jealous of your incredible intelligence. They are only making hundreds of millions but with you I'm sure there games could make billions.

Your perspective is brilliant. Wow. 300 IQ. Amazing.
You don't have to sarcastically insult others because you disagree. It reflects poorly on your argument and your character. Your character is also compromised from other threads and posts, so I'd reflect on what you type and improve.

Backpackface

Jul 18, 2021
You don't have to sarcastically insult others because you disagree. It reflects poorly on your argument and your character. Your character is also compromised from other threads and posts, so I'd reflect on what you type and improve.
It's good Robmo that you come on and insult random customers while banning anyone who says anything back to you. Very professional as always.

Reactions: Gnidex and grilo

manure

May 7, 2022
Jumping and spinning like a bailarine to prevent proper blocking is worse than handle hits... much more irritating !

Relax, brother... Despite these bad pvp things and other TERRIBLE things like guard towers, very good stuff seems to be coming...
Thieving and Boats are on the horizon...

Finally something good to wait for...

Subscription now is a valid option for me (if these new ideas really come to the game, of course).

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
Hi Robmo, I appreciate you coming in here to tone police.
Would you like to talk about the game? What do you think about handle hitting?
I think handle hits are good. The improvement that I would make would be to scale them on weapon weight instead of weapon damage. It makes sense that catching someone with the handle of your maul would still crack their bones. It makes less sense for a cronite axe's handle to still do significant damage.
What do you think?

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
Hi Robmo, I appreciate you coming in here to tone police.
Would you like to talk about the game? What do you think about handle hitting?
I think handle hits are good. The improvement that I would make would be to scale them on weapon weight instead of weapon damage. It makes sense that catching someone with the handle of your maul would still crack their bones. It makes less sense for a cronite axe's handle to still do significant damage.
What do you think?
Handle Hits are currently part of the design, I wasn't in the company when they were implemented but I am under the impression it was added as a way to have players think more about spacing, and crating choices with certain handles/hilts.

WE hear the feedback on both sides. There has been adjustments in the past to make it easier. I am sure it will be revisited every once in awhile.

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
Handle Hits are currently part of the design, I wasn't in the company when they were implemented but I am under the impression it was added as a way to have players think more about spacing, and crating choices with certain handles/hilts.

WE hear the feedback on both sides. There has been adjustments in the past to make it easier. I am sure it will be revisited every once in awhile.
Are you not allowed to share your personal opinions?

Reactions: Backpackface

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I dont pvp but it is pretty satisfying trying to hit npcs in the head with the damaging part of a mace.

So I think I would have to say that its a good thing.

Backpackface

Jul 18, 2021

There are two sides. The right side, and the wrong side. Guess which one SV is on atm. This topic has been debated eternally by many teams and they all concluded the same thing. If you conclude something different than all these other teams who have made great games, that is worrisome.

Don't make mechanics just for the sake of being 'unique'. These weird bizarro reinventing the wheel mechanics just turn the game into feeling like a science experiment.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
There are two sides. The right side, and the wrong side. Guess which one SV is on atm. This topic has been debated eternally by many teams and they all concluded the same thing. If you conclude something different than all these other teams who have made great games, that is worrisome.

Don't make mechanics just for the sake of being 'unique'. These weird bizarro reinventing the wheel mechanics just turn the game into feeling like a science experiment.
They should've copied UO in it's entirety instead of just bits and pieces and pieces that don't work in first person anyhow. Instead of things like making weapon switching actually work without jankiness they are going to die on the hill of their own stubborness.

But that's what you get when narcissists go into game dev to get a following and not actually make a good game. That's why there is no emergency mode when the game gets 300 concurrent players less daily after the patch that was supposed to save the game (TC), with those 300 players representing 20% of the daily peak ccu count.