Website update: Crafting Information

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
After the recent site update there is now an entire section elaborating on the crafting system

Link: https://www.mortalonline2.com/features/crafting/

Massive crafting system
splitter_01

Mortal Online 2’s crafting system is huge and deep. It is simple in principle but can be very complicated in practice - how complicated varies from craft to craft.
Thousands of materials can be used sometimes with billions of possible combinations. What works may sometimes be a question of skill and testing and sometimes of common sense. Yes you can craft a suit of armour out of lead. But are you sure anyone would want to wear it? As with many things in Mortal just because you can doesn’t mean you should.
Crafting also require knowledge of the appropriate lores. You can craft without the lore but the result will be very second rate. This can result in crafters being able to make armour out of one thing but not another for example. Just you can make a good sword out of steel doesn’t mean you can necessarily make a good one out of oghmium.
  • Alchemy
  • Armour crafting
  • Bowyery
  • Cooking
  • Engineering
  • Extracting
  • Shield crafting
  • Weapon crafting
  • Necromancy
Where realistic damaged items can be repaired if they are not totally broken. No you cannot repair a pie or a healing potion.
As you increase in skill the quality of the item increases. A general guideline for combat items is as follows.
At 50 skill and 50 lore you repair items at full effectiveness.
At 70 skill and 70 lore you can make an item that is fully perfect in every way except durability.
Beyond 70 in both skills durability continues to improve.
At 100 in both skills you can additionally sign your name on the product and have a chance to craft legendary items that visually look better than if a lesser skilled crafter made them. Both proving that the item is made by a master craftsman and advertising your own skills.
For extracting the quality of output does not vary - simply the amount gained. (Extraction is the art of getting materials out of other materials.)
It is also important to bear in mind that for some crafts the items need to be tailored to the end user. For example a bow should have a pull appropriate to the strength of the user. Too high and he won’t’ be able to use it; too low and he won’t be getting as much out of it as he could.

Key Points:
  • Non-consumable craftables can be repaired
  • 50 skill and lore = full repair effectiveness
  • 70 skill and lore = maximum item effectiveness
  • Durability values increase all the way to 100 skill and lore
  • 100 skill and lore required to engrave name on item
  • Chance at making cosmetically special version of item at 100 skill and lore
  • Extraction skills and lores only increase yield not quality
To be confirmed:
  • Are consumables also going to follow the 70 skill and lore maximum effectiveness?
  • Will consumable yields work the same way as item durability and scale to 100?

Overall I think the page is a good first step,and really hope that each skill/lore has associated in-game information to help guide the player
Having a book be an actual book detailing the properties and applications of a subject rather than a background skill increase would be a big step up, offering players hints on what materials look like to help them gather it, details about craftable items etc. Just enough to get players started on the road to discovery.

My thoughts on these specific crafting formulas is generally positive. It's a bit simplistic and I would still like to see something player-skill related in crafting but let's see where it goes.

There are some other pages that are WIPs but crafting seems to have the most concrete information so far.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 1599877209179.png
    1599877209179.png
    88 KB · Views: 10

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
I like the ideas very much! In the old MO1 forum have been several discussions about a repair function for weapons. I always wanted a skil based reapair function instead of the "everybody can" ideas of some other players. Only weapon crafters can repair weapons, that's very good.

Also the full skill ability to engrave a name and to make special cosmetically changes are a very nice add on for professional crafters.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I like it. Not to brag but the durability things was something I suggested a long time ago. :cool:

I think the naming thing is brilliant honestly.

I do wonder how many changes such like only having 5 armour pieces will come with the overhaul though. While the change is debateable (lots of people seem to like it) it make armor crafting less interesting to me. Unless they will add other options to compensate for that. I feel like the number of options and combination was a strong part of MOs crafting. Reducing that will take away from the original draw.