Want to donate towards MO2 with the $149 package, but need to know if there will be NA servers

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I'd love to know SV's reasoning behind this.
Is it to keep all players on one server, to keep the game feeling 'populated' ?
If so, then why make the main continent map 3x the size??? That just further dilutes the population.

FFS make the main continent in MO2 half the size of the MO1 main continent, and split the population into two servers. The game still feels populated and everyone has their happy ping.

Every decent MMO out there has at least an EU and an NA server.

There is more to it than that. It is meant to be one world with one history.

They are so dedicated to this idea that they do not even want MO1 and MO2 active at the same time.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
EVE online has only one server for pretty much the same reason MO2 will only have one.

Storytelling, having a unified community and keeping the world as populated as possible.

There is always a chance that SV goes to work one morning and decideds to spend money to move the server to New york. But I would not bet on it.

Multiple servers is not gonna happen.

@larger world

A larger world is very helpful for peaceful players. Look at videos of the coloured forest. Finding someone travelling there to gather ironwood will be much harder and thus safer for the gathering player.

Reactions: Amadman and Rudakov

Meltdown

Jul 20, 2020
EVE online has only one server for pretty much the same reason MO2 will only have one.

The difference is that EVE Online is not a fast twitch combat game, its combat system being much more forgiving to higher latencies.

I'm all for one community and more population etc, but playing what is essentially an FPS at ~300ms latency is just silly.

Meltdown

Jul 20, 2020
Anyway I'm out, thanks for all who responded. As other's have said, it's time to move on.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
I'm from New Zealand and no a 300ms ping for a twitch combat first person game is not 'fine'. I've played MO1 from here and it sucks. Hence my original post, asking if there was a going to be a NA server.
check your last mile, often its the cable from the street to your house wich is the problem sometimes. maybe its that too. im near munic and i can ping to cydney with 210. also consider yout internal network are you directly conected to your router is your router directly connected to the street or in a switch in the building with many other people. and so on. i hope it helps xD

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020

Storytelling, having a unified community and keeping the world as populated as possible.

There is always a chance that SV goes to work one morning and decideds to spend money to move the server to New york. But I would not bet on it.

Multiple servers is not gonna happen.

@larger world

A larger world is very helpful for peaceful players. Look at videos of the coloured forest. Finding someone travelling there to gather ironwood will be much harder and thus safer for the gathering player.

EvE doesn't have real time directional combat, and is basically tab targeted along with an added mechanic "time dilation" to handle mega fights. With cloud hosting services, and containers, spinning a server up in a different region (NA) should be quick, affordable and painless. That is unless they're getting some kind of huge deal with their current provider.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Anyway I'm out, thanks for all who responded. As other's have said, it's time to move on.
they mentioned maybe sarducca will ne na and myrladn will be eu maybe they make some other continents to some other server locations. you dont have to host the whole map on the same server. its 2020 guys not 2000. you can even split parts of the world. but im for mainly eu because i live there obvious xD. but we dont know what star vault will do. but 200 ping is alright or not? do you have video?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Still think multiple continents on different servers that are connected, on top of all the normalization and improvement on the normalization would be the absolutely most optimal solution.

But that'd need them to make another continent, and I doubt the NA players would want Sarducaa, I wouldn't mind it though, a sarducaa with improvements would be a nice place to play on, but I like Sarducaa and the heat system and its bonkers PVE.

Main problem? More than twice the costs.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
EvE doesn't have real time directional combat, and is basically tab targeted along with an added mechanic "time dilation" to handle mega fights. With cloud hosting services, and containers, spinning a server up in a different region (NA) should be quick, affordable and painless. That is unless they're getting some kind of huge deal with their current provider.

How does that change what I wrote?

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Still think multiple continents on different servers that are connected, on top of all the normalization and improvement on the normalization would be the absolutely most optimal solution.

But that'd need them to make another continent, and I doubt the NA players would want Sarducaa, I wouldn't mind it though, a sarducaa with improvements would be a nice place to play on, but I like Sarducaa and the heat system and its bonkers PVE.

Main problem? More than twice the costs.

Agreed!

I think hosting different parts of the game world at different server locations is probably the best if not only way they could pull off one world with multiple servers.

I would bet that Sarducca will not be the second continent in MO2 since they already did that once.

There is probably little to no chance that a second continent would be out any time soon though. So, players are going to have to live with a EU server for sometime regardless.

Reactions: Arthys

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I'm actually very conflicted on where i'd want the server to be if it had to be in any one place(as now) and we got to decide.

Greenland would be my favorite pick in that case, which would mean fast connection for all of US(better than now), all of europe(slightly worse than now) and the countries spanning east, south east and south of europe(slightly worse with the western bank of africa probably seeing almost no change). Australians, japanese and south africans would all get better ping than now(ZA and a lot of Africa actually connect through greenland, not [Northern]europe), NA and SA would not get as good as if it was in new york, but I think the ping curve would be overall great for most countries. The areas where the ping will be terrible are in countries in the west asia area, middle east and most southern parts of south america. Greenland is literally the place where the cross atlantic connection passes through from EU to US(the best one anyway), so having it there would probably be alright.

But still, I think if they got a clear plan to launch a second connected server once they have the income for it(upon release and a successful one with a big population(big enough to maybe even warrant another server in the first place)).Then that will be 100% the best move and outcome we could ask for. We'd have cross continental play, still have the backend to make playing on the opposite "continent" bearable, more of the world have access to even be able to play the game at all and we'd have added stability by having the load distributed over two "servers", one will probably be lopsided and continue to be with wars between the servers, invasions etc etc.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Dude, I've played MO since 2010 and I've been asking for NA server for a looooong time. It will never happen. They just don't get it how many more people would play if they could have a smooth, desync-free combat experience. Instead we are left with a "playable" 200+ ping experience that is basically shit for melee combat. Yes its "doable" and there are ways around it but it's not fun or enjoyable.

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
would it be (technically) possible to have the different MO2 continents each have its own server located in different places around the globe? so that players could still access the whole map but maybe choose to call home a certain continent and mainly play there.

and would that satisfy the original poster?

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
would it be (technically) possible to have the different MO2 continents each have its own server located in different places around the globe? so that players could still access the whole map but maybe choose to call home a certain continent and mainly play there.

and would that satisfy the original poster?
It wouldnt make any difference. Ping doesnt exist on Mortal Online 2, everyone is on equal footing

• Love
Reactions: Teknique

Blood Thorn

Jan 1, 2021
It wouldnt make any difference. Ping doesnt exist on Mortal Online 2, everyone is on equal footing
Sorry, already proven that this is not the case. Bitbox used to say the same thing and yes, the intentioned design is to reduce the penalty and it is somewhat successful but combat would have to be slowed down ever further for some of us half a world away which would be counter-productive to the success of the game.

Simple truth - you cannot make the game 'fair' for everyone, nor matter what you do. Fortunately, it is only a game. :)