The Game feels empty?? wtf?

Bigbadwolff

Mar 29, 2021
Hello,

I reloged after 2 months or more of not playing to sort the stuff out because will remain with one caracter after the new relunch.

In a middle of sunday that was full of players in towns now citys like Meduli, Fabrenum, no duelits just 2-3 ppl here and there, no players in voip telling storys :(, Bakti that used to be the full of tammers and gankers alike now only 2-3 ppl in the bank.
Only MK was normal, more ppl in MK then anywere else?

wtf is happening? were are all the players?

Its sad, just sad

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Hello,

I reloged after 2 months or more of not playing to sort the stuff out because will remain with one caracter after the new relunch.

In a middle of sunday that was full of players in towns now citys like Meduli, Fabrenum, no duelits just 2-3 ppl here and there, no players in voip telling storys :(, Bakti that used to be the full of tammers and gankers alike now only 2-3 ppl in the bank.
Only MK was normal, more ppl in MK then anywere else?

wtf is happening? were are all the players?

Its sad, just sad
The game is in a really bad state. I’d estimate 70% of players are players that never played the original game. Henrik has committed genocide on his original community in favor of a new one and it is on them to keep the game afloat. Unfortunately for Henrik he has all the same problems he originally had minus a game that’s actually fun.

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
I can only speak for myself and why I didnt log in for a while. It's simple. Its barely even a game. The "dungeons" are mostly really bland, the enemy AI is boring and very basic, the combat feels clunky at best, movement feels incredibly slow even on the fastest characters, the world is pretty empty, a lot of in-game systems are broken and to me it honestly feels like it's a scam at this point.
The CEO seems like a con-man who tells people that this game has "the best combat, best fishing, best servers (...)" Then you log into the game and realize that none of this is true.
And now they wanna charge a monthly fee for it. People are just fed up and won't sub for pure vaporware.

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
The game is in a really bad state. I’d estimate 70% of players are players that never played the original game. Henrik has committed genocide on his original community in favor of a new one and it is on them to keep the game afloat. Unfortunately for Henrik he has all the same problems he originally had minus a game that’s actually fun.
mo1 had no population... 100 players at peak time for many many years.

The fact is, mo1 was even more of a litterbox with everyone shitting everywhere they could. henrik has been very explicit since day 1 that mo2 didn't want to be the griefer's paradise that mo1 was. now that it's finding a broader appeal, you're crying about your hurtbox being taken away and pretending you (and I) weren't the reason mo1 was never a viable game. Implementing law and order and other constraints in mo1 wasn't feasible because the population was never there. Never. mo2 has the population and in order to sustain the population (and grow it), it necessarily has to become more carebear.

The wolves need lambs. The lambs need a fence.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020

The fact is, mo1 was even more of a litterbox with everyone shitting everywhere they could. henrik has been very explicit since day 1 that mo2 didn't want to be the griefer's paradise that mo1 was. now that it's finding a broader appeal, you're crying about your hurtbox being taken away and pretending you (and I) weren't the reason mo1 was never a viable game. Implementing law and order and other constraints in mo1 wasn't feasible because the population was never there. Never. mo2 has the population and in order to sustain the population (and grow it), it necessarily has to become more carebear.

You're not completely wrong in what you're saying, but MO1 absolutely had a large population in its earlier years...even bigger than MO2 is now (which is sad because MO1 wasn't on Steam nor was it advertised anywhere like Twitch).

As for MO2 not being a "griefer's paradise that MO1 was"...what has it done exactly that prevents it? I can login right now and kill whoever I want as many times as I want pretty much wherever I want (unless something major has changed that I'm unaware of). The real issue is Star Vault (Henrik) is just dogshit at coming up with a working and engaging system that deters people from wanting to mindlessly murder. He could use ideas other games have, but he has to be original...and look how thats turned out the last decade.

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
You're not completely wrong in what you're saying, but MO1 absolutely had a large population in its earlier years...even bigger than MO2 is now (which is sad because MO1 wasn't on Steam nor was it advertised anywhere like Twitch).

As for MO2 not being a "griefer's paradise that MO1 was"...what has it done exactly that prevents it? I can login right now and kill whoever I want as many times as I want pretty much wherever I want (unless something major has changed that I'm unaware of). The real issue is Star Vault (Henrik) is just dogshit at coming up with a working and engaging system that deters people from wanting to mindlessly murder. He could use ideas other games have, but he has to be original...and look how thats turned out the last decade.
mo1 never had 2000 players online at the same time.
You're not wrong that law and order has not been implemented but I believe the pledge to implement has been the most alienating thing levied against the original base community. Otherwise, I don't know what the genocide of mo1 players is.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

Mo1 was more alive than mo2 when corrected for confounding variables. Mo1 maintained a concurrent player count of around 200. You can dispute this number if you want but it’s a very fair number for many reasons. 200 SUB paying players in a map that is 6x smaller is a population that you can argue is higher than mo2s.

Now if you want to make the argument that the game is in a better state with teleporting lictors, bad classes, bad itemization, super clunky mouse inputs, tortoise movement speeds, ugly ass bought assets, etc, then what I can say but hard disagree.

I got off topic a bit. Teleporting lictors, not being able to sieged, not being able to have your guild destroyed whatever. You’re basically making the argument that mortal online would be better if it was nothing like mortal online. Like at what point have you just removed the entire essence of the game? Would the game be better because it has more players if it was a 2d scroller game now about saving the princess? Why not, it has more players?

Reactions: Daikos

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
mo1 never had 2000 players online at the same time.
You're not wrong that law and order has not been implemented but I believe the pledge to implement has been the most alienating thing levied against the original base community. Otherwise, I don't know what the genocide of mo1 players is.
The genocide I refer to is that the game bears no likeness to the first. Classes, combat, visuals, even movement and jump height, gear possibilities, even weapon weights. You previously needed to use a reasonably light weapon.

If you name a mechanic I’ll show you something that is totally different and often much worse then the original game design.

And tbh the red/murdercount system was much harsher in the first game. The long runs are annoying. in the first game however you couldn’t rez at all without taking stat loss and you couldn’t go blue and just reenter town, you couldn’t “run parcels” to remove murdercounts or in this case rep loss, there was no offline burn. I don’t care about any of these issues or agree with people that say parcels are the number 1 issue in the game. I don’t think they’re an issue at all. It’s that the game just feels really bad from char design to combat, to the world, to even the fucking music is horrible. Go log in to mo1 and you’ll have a banger track playing in sausage lake era that’s super dark and grim, in mo2 the tindrem music won’t stop fucking playing everywhere you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daikos

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
now that it's finding a broader appeal,

mo2 has the population and in order to sustain the population (and grow it),

haha. I couldn't help myself after seeing this. OK... I highlighted the parts that are funny, to me. I think you're going to be surprised.

MO1 was objectively a trash game, but it had some things going for it. The reason MO1 never succeeded is nearly everyone who played it (at least who I tried to get to play it, and I think it was a common theme) was just like WTF IS THIS TRASH GAME? Lagfest, bugs, awful graphics. They couldn't get past how janky it looked. Now, it doesn't look AS janky, that alone... like peep this... THAT ALONE is the reason MO has a slightly wider appeal. If you take MO1 and give it the graphics that this has, it would be a more popular game.

If MO1 dropped NOW with MO2 graphics (that is if there wasn't any memories of how many fails MO1 had,) it would probably be a hit. It would at least be able to fill their servers.

Care bear is not the right word, either. It's grind! You run parcels for rep, you run parcels (?) for supply runs, it's this constant go fetch gameplay. That's dog shit. You farm money and throw down TC guards, that's not care bear.

The only thing outside of the loop that you can do in MO is ride around (because walking around is too slow + you can get eaten by pets) and grief people. Everything else is just being in a big guild and playing some weird loop of TC stuff now. Super wack, lifeless gameplay.

It sucks that people get banned and all that, but my concern is just that the game is bad. It's not FUN. It's not alive. Like go up to somebody in town in MO2 and ask them what happened yesterday. lol. If they even talk back, I bet they don't have anything interesting to say. In MO1, you'd be wishing you were there.

The game didn't become care bear, Henrik had the idea to make it more like a AAA mmo, which is probably his biggest mistake. But, hey, you may be right about it being in position to grow, but I got this feeling that the game is just gonna be sweatlords and their minions running endless TC loops.

What system was introduced in MO2 that was better than MO1? Serious question. Dudes talking about adding breeding, but mounts don't even have stats. lol. Check out my JoSert horse. It's just like a Steppe!

There is the tiny possibility that in months/years they will figure out how stale their game is, but I think Henrik will try to hook the multi-multi sub people and bleed them out.