Taming and it's place in the game

SerCopium

Feb 15, 2023
As things stand everyone universally agrees that combat pets are horrible. You spend immense time or gold getting them and they die ridiculously easy. Now I of course recognize we can't have OP pets running around, but as things are, being a beast master is not a fun experience. It either needs to be easier to acquire these pets, therefor driving the cost down, or they need to be stronger, or even potentially a mechanic that prevents immediate loss on death, something like pets having a number of lives and simply respawning with you until then. Thoughts on this? Something certainly has to be done. For the last 3 hours everyone I have spoken to about it agrees, so I know that I am not simply complaining for no reason. To add, I am not raging after a death or something, I am just returning to the game and finding the census is that they are terrible and it has me and others upset due to spending a lot of time preparing characters to be a beast masters. Which again, takes quite a bit of work.

Also, domination should not just be an infinitely better choice at almost all times, which is another mentioned reality from the community.

EDIT: I should add that the ability ride and maybe even attack with a creature manually from it's back would change things immensely for the viability of different creatures.

Last edited:

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
actually, pets are expendable, like any ammunition. and if you're so stupid that you wear super expensive clothes or spend a lot of time on pet training, then blame your stupidity. the game is more designed for group activities of guilds, so sending high-level pets into battle is a small burden on the budget, and for solo players it is enough to ride a bike

SerCopium

Feb 15, 2023
actually, pets are expendable, like any ammunition. and if you're so stupid that you wear super expensive clothes or spend a lot of time on pet training, then blame your stupidity. the game is more designed for group activities of guilds, so sending high-level pets into battle is a small burden on the budget, and for solo players it is enough to ride a bike
But that is the point, ALL pets are extremely expensive because of the nature of taming. This and there is an entire skill line dedicated to fighting with them, and unlike arrows, which are more effective if trained in to, pets are bad. The investment in both gold and time/skills is not worth it right now. The majority of the issue imo is the economy around pets.

Melhisedek

Dec 3, 2021
Tindrem
pets are just a small addition to the combat abilities of the players, and having a wolf or a steppe horse, in my opinion, is almost free entertainment, and serious pets are no longer for solo.

SerCopium

Feb 15, 2023
pets are just a small addition to the combat abilities of the players, and having a wolf or a steppe horse, in my opinion, is almost free entertainment, and serious pets are no longer for solo.
I don't believe this is the vision for the game.

Raclaw

Mar 1, 2023
I agree with SerCopium. If taming is just an addition, them change the whole domestication branch to secondary. Because right now, being a tamer is a full-time job with extremely high risk of grief and being punished by the game.

Contorto

Feb 18, 2022
You should try taming yourself and see how long it takes to level pets in this game, even leveling some of the weakest most dogshit pets like hunter lizards takes literal days, but they fall over and die in 1-2 hits from a naked guy with a vendor weapon and only hit the naked guy for 6-15 dmg at max level. There a reason most tamers never bring their pets out for PVP their just dogshit in PVP and take to long to level, the time it takes to max level any pet I could have made 10 full sets of steel armor and weapons than turned around and killed any pet with 1 of those sets 1000x times over.

I mean really it not hard to 1v1 even a max lvl terroir birds in steel armor with a steel weapon you hit the things for 100+ dmg while they only hit you for 10-12 dmg meanwhile they only have 600 HP and if your skilled enough you can even just parry their attacks.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Using a pet to do the fighting for you takes no skill. You simply send your pet to attack and watch from afar. There is no way SV is ever making this the more viable fighting style. Otherwise whats the point of the core gameplay which is melee combat?

Pets are a complimentary system to the melee combat. They help with damage, but they do not replace the main fighting mechanic which is melee combat. They never will, by design, otherwise they will render melee fighting obsolete in a flash.

Everyone will just get pets and watch them fight from afar. No need to get good with melee weapons.

Taming and BM has its place for those that like having pets and using them, but it will always be underpowered.

Contorto

Feb 18, 2022
Using a pet to do the fighting for you takes no skill. You simply send your pet to attack and watch from afar. There is no way SV is ever making this the more viable fighting style. Otherwise whats the point of the core gameplay which is melee combat?
True SV should just delete mounted combat from the game, magic too, all bows should be deleted as well, anything that not a sword shouldn't exist 100% agree.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
True SV should just delete mounted combat from the game, magic too, all bows should be deleted as well, anything that not a sword shouldn't exist 100% agree.
No need to delete it. Some people like those other styles of play. However all of them are distinctively underpowered when pitted against melee. This is by design.

• Haha
Reactions: Contorto