[Suggestion] Mercy mode should work like MO1 mercy mode.

How should mercy mode work?

• Total voters

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
You shouldn't have to always hit a target an additional time to finish them off, mercy mode should work when you hit a certain number of HP you're dropped into it rather than all of your HP being exhausted and artificially stopped at '1' to put you in the current mercy mode.

I think it extends fights just that little bit longer that isn't needed, plus it allows more room for error-making since mercy mode isn't stationary and allows movement.

What would I want personally?

I would want mercy mode to make you immobile and rather than always being put into it before dying, it instead works like it did in MO1 where if the damage was high enough you'd instead outright die.

What am I proposing?

I'm willing to accept mercy mode working like it used to in terms of doing more damage than your opponent has HP, killing them rather than just mercy'ing them. Whilst they retain the current ability to move in it.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I agree that it is annoying to always have your opponent go into mercy mode, however I would offer my own suggestion that isn't in the poll.

I would want it to work like this:

You have to be hit into a certain negative health value to trigger an instant death, so hard hits on low health people kill them outright, but weak hits will still mercy mode them.

This way a small punch to someone on 1 health would put them into mercy mode, but a full charge sledgehammer swing to the head on someone with only 5 health left would kill them immediately.

The exact value for instance could be -10 health, so a hit from a regular sword would kill someone who was at 10 health already, provided they hit you for at least 20 damage. The exact value doesn't really matter that much so long as it works like this.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I agree that it is annoying to always have your opponent go into mercy mode, however I would offer my own suggestion that isn't in the poll.

I would want it to work like this:

You have to be hit into a certain negative health value to trigger an instant death, so hard hits on low health people kill them outright, but weak hits will still mercy mode them.

This way a small punch to someone on 1 health would put them into mercy mode, but a full charge sledgehammer swing to the head on someone with only 5 health left would kill them immediately.

The exact value for instance could be -10 health, so a hit from a regular sword would kill someone who was at 10 health already, provided they hit you for at least 20 damage. The exact value doesn't really matter that much so long as it works like this.

I'd be for that actually.

Reactions: Valoran

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
I vote a strong hit should by pass mercy mode but keep the current limping mode.

Agree there should be some sort of tolerance that can be exceeded to bypass mercy mode. Would be a small advantage to bigger weapons. Nuking a springbok only to have it stand there like nothing happened was a pain in the ass! The mercy state is distinct enough that its easy to spot but in a chaotic battle it might be overlooked sometimes.

I do miss the old kneeling mercy mode - it was very mortal online, but I do like the fact this moving one gives someone the (unlikely) chance of hobbling out of the line of fire to try wait it out and bandage up or toward a healer or something while your teammates can jump in and soak up hits and let you rally.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
The kneeling animation had the problem that it was tought to sync and very often you could see people sliding into position in mercy mode when the server updated their position. It looked cool in some instances and just goofy in others. In that regard I like the current implementation better.

It should however only be triggered when a certain amount of negative HP is reached, and anything below that should be an instant kill (hopefully with gore in the future). Hitting someone at 10 HP with a sledge for 66 and seeing them in mercy mode feels shit.

Tactically speaking it also devalues high hitting, high stamina use weapons. Just finishing someone of with a sledge cost nearly tripple the stamina compared to a katana.

Lastly it makes the problem of denfensive play even worse, since you have to spend extra stamina when you have already beaten your opponent soundly.

Reactions: Valoran

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
I'm not sure how you fix this. I like the fact mercy mode is consistent, but I'd like a choice on whether I'm putting someone into mercy mode or killing them.

Maybe if the hit that that would have put your opponent in the negative was done at less than half weapon charge, it puts them into mercy mode regardless of damage. If the charge is above that, it kills them. My thought behind it is intent, sort of like how D&D has lethal and non-lethal damage.

A little off topic:

Why not make a mercy mode target bindable and lootable? While in mercy mode, someone can use any rope like object to tie and immobilize the victim. Then you become lootable. That way people who want to steal stuff from travelers, but sell it in a nearby town have a chance to do so before the player can report them. And even then they are reported for theft and assault, rather than murder.

Victims can break their bonds after leaving mercy mode, but it would require a few seconds depending on the material.

I know most people just want to murder for murders sake, but choices like these are nice to have.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I'm not sure how you fix this. I like the fact mercy mode is consistent, but I'd like a choice on whether I'm putting someone into mercy mode or killing them.

Maybe if the hit that that would have put your opponent in the negative was done at less than half weapon charge, it puts them into mercy mode regardless of damage. If the charge is above that, it kills them. My thought behind it is intent, sort of like how D&D has lethal and non-lethal damage.

A little off topic:

Why not make a mercy mode target bindable and lootable? While in mercy mode, someone can use any rope like object to tie and immobilize the victim. Then you become lootable. That way people who want to steal stuff from travelers, but sell it in a nearby town have a chance to do so before the player can report them. And even then they are reported for theft and assault, rather than murder.

Victims can break their bonds after leaving mercy mode, but it would require a few seconds depending on the material.

I know most people just want to murder for murders sake, but choices like these are nice to have.

It would get abused very heavily, just trust.

Viknuss

Jun 6, 2020
www.youtube.com
Mercy mode shouldn't always be guaranteed. If you break the damage threshold then they should die outright. If you take small enough damage that should push you into mercy mode.

I like the fact that you can still limp in Mercy mode. It's the dynamic executions that this system allows that I'm looking forward to.

Similar to For Honor, depending on your weapon, and which direction you're executing them from (Front or Back) you get a different execution.

Malathion

May 29, 2020
Interesting, I thought the auto mercy was just setup for alpha - so you can continue the testing quicker. Maybe keep this for duels only.

Dec 10, 2020
Damage over time effects could be an effective solution for people who never want to give Mercy maybe? Weapon poison, spell effects, etc.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i like the mercy mode how it is because of 2 reasons:
1. you cant kill someone by accident
2. it feels good that you can NOT one hit someone, for example as a mounted combat where you have to turn your horse back to get the kill or your team mates can safe you in the last seconds making it stationary would nerf that feature

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
i like the idea of it being like mo1
and i hope they will enforce gore and dismembrement on big hits killing straight, or mercy mode executions
also, the way it is now, it might cause a big issue and impact pvp way too much if they add a Subsisting skill and you pop up full hp after 10sec mercied

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
i like the mercy mode how it is because of 2 reasons:
1. you cant kill someone by accident
2. it feels good that you can NOT one hit someone, for example as a mounted combat where you have to turn your horse back to get the kill or your team mates can safe you in the last seconds making it stationary would nerf that feature
No it feels awful that you CANT 1 hit someone, especially after hitting them with a giant heavy weapon like a maul. And it helps zergs when you always have to finish off someone twice.

The game shouldnt hold your hand so much, if you kill someone by accident then its on you to aim your hits better.