Suggestion - Correct Shield Naming

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Hello everyone, welcome to yet another thread detailing an inaccuracy in the game that requires urgent and immediate correction.

This time we're looking at shields, or more correctly the shield. As there is only one in game currently.

Here is what the shield looks like:
20200828045454_1.jpg
20200828045525_1.jpg
20200828045550_1.jpg
And here is what it is called:
55f8ef7022e61f9541682f5a54525d6e.png
Medium Round Shield with Flat Buckler Frame. Let's take this apart and analyse the components.

• Medium - Yes, this is accurate and a fair assessment, as a larger round shield like the Danish/Viking or Anglo-Saxon round shield would be much larger than this, whilst it is also not as small as a shield that is supposed to be small such as a buckler.
  • Round Shield - No problems here.
  • Flat Buckler Frame - This is the problematic part.

In reality this should read either:

Option 1: " Medium Round Shield with Flat Boss Frame "

or

Option 2: " Medium Round Shield with Flat Boss and Leather Frame ( or Binding ) "

The reason for this is twofold;

1. Because the round metal protrusion on the shield is called a boss.
  2. A buckler is its own type of shield entirely.
This is a buckler: ( Even if a rather fancy one at that )
il_570xN.1999020046_56tp.jpg
A small round (usually) metal shield. Note, the buckler also has a boss.

Although one could be forgiven for thinking a shield boss was a buckler as they are very similar in shape and size.

My suggestion would vary depending on if we are going to have the boss always linked to the frame or binding around the shield. If when selecting a shield "Frame" we always get the same lining and boss, then I believe it should read as option 1 given above.

However, if the outer lining or frame can be selected separately from the boss shape and material, then it should read as option 2 given above.

This is my only real criticism of this shield, however off topic from the naming, I do have one more nitpick, which would be how far the wooden handle comes away from the shield body itself resulting in the hand and knuckles not resting inside the boss at all, although I have high suspicions that this was done to accommodate larger gauntlets or compensate for body size increases while maintaining the same shield size.

In closing I would like to mention just how impressed I am with the quality of this shield and the accuracy of it, naming conventions and vibrating components aside. Most games don't get this far.

Thank you for reading, and have a great day.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I completely see what you are saying here, I think its just a part of the crafting system. As Henrik mentioned, only some parts can be used with other parts. Not everything will work together. Making it simple for everyone to understand. I also can see the shield being changed to a small buckler with flat/round/pointed/ buckler frame. It makes enough sense all round imo. Though i love reading these keep it up good sir!

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I completely see what you are saying here, I think its just a part of the crafting system. As Henrik mentioned, only some parts can be used with other parts. Not everything will work together. Making it simple for everyone to understand. I also can see the shield being changed to a small buckler with flat/round/pointed/ buckler frame. It makes enough sense all round imo. Though i love reading these keep it up good sir!
Simply renaming the "Flat Buckler Frame" to "Flat Boss" would correct this issue, as the shield boss is neither part of the frame, nor related to a buckler, so the term "buckler frame" doesn't mean anything in this context, unless you're specifically talking about the frame on a buckler.

Although it does raise the question of whether or not we will be able to choose the frame/lining separately from the boss.

Reactions: Phen

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Simply renaming the "Flat Buckler Frame" to "Flat Boss" would correct this issue, as the shield boss is neither part of the frame, nor related to a buckler, so the term "buckler frame" doesn't mean anything in this context, unless you're specifically talking about the frame on a buckler.

Although it does raise the question of whether or not we will be able to choose the frame/lining separately from the boss.

That's what came to my mind. Maybe they have created a different way of making shields, weapons, armor by adding another element to the craft. Sense they are restricting crafting to only craft items one particular way. Even though the options aren't super minimal, this gives us different ways to build things. Using this buckler as an example, If it was a round buckler with flat buckler frame, then it would look like the true buckler. While this was another option just using the round shield with buckler frame to create another type of shield. If they made the change you are asking for then they wouldn't have a buckler at all. It would be a small round shield with boss frame? and that just sounds funny lol.

I do like going through these. This is the only one i have to comment on because i love crafting. Only in the view of crafting systems. This is the easy way for them to give many shields without losing out on the buckler. If they did change it, then the buckler would be a shield all by itself. Also wouldn't have many options for it either.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
As pointless as this appears to me. I could see how it could be annoying. It would be like labeling hyena's canid's when they're feliforms

• Haha
Reactions: Phen

Valoran

May 28, 2020
That's what came to my mind. Maybe they have created a different way of making shields, weapons, armor by adding another element to the craft. Sense they are restricting crafting to only craft items one particular way. Even though the options aren't super minimal, this gives us different ways to build things. Using this buckler as an example, If it was a round buckler with flat buckler frame, then it would look like the true buckler. While this was another option just using the round shield with buckler frame to create another type of shield. If they made the change you are asking for then they wouldn't have a buckler at all. It would be a small round shield with boss frame? and that just sounds funny lol.

I do like going through these. This is the only one i have to comment on because i love crafting. Only in the view of crafting systems. This is the easy way for them to give many shields without losing out on the buckler. If they did change it, then the buckler would be a shield all by itself. Also wouldn't have many options for it either.
Reading your comment makes me think there's still some confusion going on here, so just to clarify:
shield labels.jpg

This shield frame/lining/binding is made of leather.

This shield boss is made of steel.

The boss and frame are separate things.

The shield boss is not part of the shield frame, as such "Round Shield with Flat Buckler Frame" doesn't make any sense.

The problem is not that it has a boss, but that it is named incorrectly.

We can still have real bucklers, they are just small round metal shields.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
This is undisageeable. Im just trying to help bring thoughts to how the crafting is.

I personally think both the frame and buckler can be changed a bit to make it more understandable. Completely agree to changing buckler to boss in the instance you're speaking of. Now it's putting the frame with the type of shield. So the boss and frame can stay separated as they usually are.

Example: Medium Round Shield Frame with Flat Boss.