Stamina Regen in Combat Mode needs to be buffed

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
Lately, stamina regen in combat mode sucks. It takes too long to regain stamina and therefore it is a huge nerf to player freedom and mobility. We have an entire mechanic in the game-- parry counter reduction-- that exists purely to, in theory, boost a 1vX situation where someone is fighting outnumbered. Yet stamina regain is terrible now, which means more people- with their cumulative stamina bars to exhaust- have a bigger advantage, and one person playing against many is more likely to wind up with an empty yellow bar and dying for it. I've mentioned once or twice how the nerf to stamina regen in combat mode is unneeded and poor design. Lastly, it's unfun gameplay - more time standing around unable to do anything whether it be sprinting or swinging a weapon is boring and unfun.

Buff stamina regeneration. That's all there is to it. Buff it. Do it.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Players: I dont want to wear steel because it has stam regen. I want to put points into heavy armor so I dont have stam penalties because it feels oppressive.

SV: Lets make all the armors have stam pen so you feel less worse about having stam drain on steel.

• Haha
Reactions: LordMega

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
Lately, stamina regen in combat mode sucks. It takes too long to regain stamina and therefore it is a huge nerf to player freedom and mobility. We have an entire mechanic in the game-- parry counter reduction-- that exists purely to, in theory, boost a 1vX situation where someone is fighting outnumbered. Yet stamina regain is terrible now, which means more people- with their cumulative stamina bars to exhaust- have a bigger advantage, and one person playing against many is more likely to wind up with an empty yellow bar and dying for it. I've mentioned once or twice how the nerf to stamina regen in combat mode is unneeded and poor design. Lastly, it's unfun gameplay - more time standing around unable to do anything whether it be sprinting or swinging a weapon is boring and unfun.

i think i learned something here ! :p:p

Reactions: Najwalaylah

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
i think i learned something here ! :p:p
Right, but my point was, if they create an entire mechanic for the supposed purpose of making it easier on players who are fighting outnumbered, why drastically limit what they can actually do in a fight? Everyone uses that sweet yellow bar. Even mages need it for moving. Mages, Hybrids, Archers and melee fighters all need that sweet sweet stamina. As the system is currently, when you fight outnumbered it's very easy to stam out quite quickly.

The parry counter reduction is a mechanic that really only exists for those using melee weapons. Furthermore, it doesn't really help. If you have 2 seasoned fighters on you, they will work together without even needing verbal communication to get past your defenses. They will position themselves to make it difficult on you to watch them and parry their attacks. The best way to counter them is to spend stamina to outplay them, rather than slow walking, parrying and countering.

The baseline for stamina regeneration needs to be buffed significantly. I honestly don't really even care about the recent stam regen changes for armor terribly much- for most heavy armor users, a 5 or 6% penalty isn't just awful. The real problem is that stamina regen just feels bad right now overall. Even if you're naked it takes forever to get your stamina back up.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want everyone to never stam out, or to regen so quickly that it isn't an issue- I just want it to feel better than it is now, to feel like we have some options and have enough of a stamina resource to make some good decisions in a fight.

Reactions: Tzone and ElPerro

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Some players: We want people to stam out because we cant win with out you being stammed out even with more numbers.

The outnumbered player will always have to use more stam because they need to block more, reposition more, and fight for longer to kill everyone.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Some players: We want people to stam out because we cant win with out you being stammed out even with more numbers.

The outnumbered player will always have to use more stam because they need to block more, reposition more, and fight for longer to kill everyone.
Yeah I love this logic:

"Zergs will always have the advantage so lets make it easier for them since you will die anyways". Which mostly translates to: "Im not good enough to fight outnumbered so you shouldnt be able to either!"

Agree 100% with OP, time to kill is too long in this game and you will need lots of stam to get past around anyones block who is even half decent

Reactions: LordMega and Tzone

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
Quite honestly, I am surprised that more people aren't jumping on board with this idea. I feel like the playerbase would rather fantasize about complex mechanics that would take hundreds of hours of development to cater to their specific vision of what they think might be good for the game's combat design, rather than consider that a simple fix like this.

The fact that it is a simple fix is why it's good. It's doable. A simple tweak in the numbers. One of Starvault's devs might see this and see how bumping the Stam Regen while in Combat Mode by 25-30% could allow for better gameplay. It's a solution that solves several problems at once, and is a buff for every build in the game. SV built an entire mechanic (parry counter reduction) around the concept of buffing those fighting outnumbered, but that buff is only for melee weapon users. Stamina management would obviously still be very important, but having a little more breathing room allows for a higher skill ceiling. And it feels more fun.

Reactions: Tzone

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021

Mages have to completely stop fighting and sit down because mana regen is so horrible... So I dont see an issue with this at all, either buff them both or leave it as is.

Heavy armor should have heavy impact on stam regen and should even make you slower than someone in light armor in my opinion. But thats just asking for realism where it matters , SV to busy making 10kg of weight drag you to the bottom of any body of water for all that LMFAO

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
Mages have to completely stop fighting and sit down because mana regen is so horrible... So I dont see an issue with this at all, either buff them both or leave it as is.

Heavy armor should have heavy impact on stam regen and should even make you slower than someone in light armor in my opinion. But thats just asking for realism where it matters , SV to busy making 10kg of weight drag you to the bottom of any body of water for all that LMFAO

If they buffed baseline stam regen by say 25% or so, I wouldn't care if they increase heavy armor weight stam regen penalty as well. However, I'm not a huge fan of the recent mana regen while sitting changes, as it's a nerf to paladin/hybrid gameplay, which wasn't even an overly popular build anyways.

Also yes, it is dumb for 10kg of weight (about 22 pounds for us americans) to make you sink as if an anchor was tied around your foot.

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
If they buffed baseline stam regen by say 25% or so, I wouldn't care if they increase heavy armor weight stam regen penalty as well. However, I'm not a huge fan of the recent mana regen while sitting changes, as it's a nerf to paladin/hybrid gameplay, which wasn't even an overly popular build anyways.

Also yes, it is dumb for 10kg of weight (about 22 pounds for us americans) to make you sink as if an anchor was tied around your foot.
Here's something I found regarding swimming with weight ( this is WITH fins which makes it significantly easier mind you):

Every winter I do a "scuba tune-up" mentoring session. One thing it includes is swimming up a variety of weight belts in the deep end of a pool. Because I've tried it in a lot of configurations, I know that I can swim up:

5 lbs is easy. Not even noticed. Yawn.
10 lbs is just a strong kick.
15 lbs is a strong kick and fast cadence. It's work but not difficult.
20 lbs is difficult with a whopping RMV. Doable but we're talking a RMV of 3 or more.
30 lbs, I can barely do this, but only by executing short, 12' sprints.

Ragemeister

Jul 19, 2021
Here's something I found regarding swimming with weight ( this is WITH fins which makes it significantly easier mind you):

Every winter I do a "scuba tune-up" mentoring session. One thing it includes is swimming up a variety of weight belts in the deep end of a pool. Because I've tried it in a lot of configurations, I know that I can swim up:

5 lbs is easy. Not even noticed. Yawn.
10 lbs is just a strong kick.
15 lbs is a strong kick and fast cadence. It's work but not difficult.
20 lbs is difficult with a whopping RMV. Doable but we're talking a RMV of 3 or more.
30 lbs, I can barely do this, but only by executing short, 12' sprints.
Well the problem with Mortal is that the water literally pulls you in if you are overweight, thats not how physics works. Weight should just pull you down, not inward and trap you into the water until you drop everything. You take one step to many and its like you are being pulled in by a rip tide lol

Reactions: Moored

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
Well the problem with Mortal is that the water literally pulls you in if you are overweight, thats not how physics works. Weight should just pull you down, not inward and trap you into the water until you drop everything. You take one step to many and its like you are being pulled in by a rip tide lol
Right. And you can't even walk up a slope when you're just a few feet from the shoreline.

Reactions: Moored

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Just an FYI

Heavy armor stam penalty is almost half with this new system compared to the old system.

And on top of that, the sliders have been tweaked so that lower sliders have less impact on the defence values.

Yes, stamina regen penalty exists across the board now dependent on the armor you choose, but this applies to everyone in a fight. The only difference now is that there is a choice to the degree for which you trade higher defence values for lower stamina regen and jump height. This does a number of things to enable viability for lighter armor classes to be used in melee combat as well as solve an arguably convoluted armor-weight-threshold system that we had previously. Whether or not people were happy with that approach is irrelevant so long as the developers weren't able to properly implement their vision for said system.

Additionally the heavy armor penalty is now better than it was prior to the patch as Herius has pointed out. There has been no change to stamina regen outside of this as far as I'm aware?

Is buffing stamina regen needed? Maybe, though I'd hazard a guess that we've just not given it enough time to adjust.

LordMega

Dec 2, 2020
Is buffing stamina regen needed? Maybe, though I'd hazard a guess that we've just not given it enough time to adjust.

Do you mind if I ask your in-game character name? You don't sound like someone who plays very often based on how you've said this.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yeah people hated the stam regen with steel to the point it was a reason to not wear it. So people have been "adjusting" to stam regen like this far before it was implemented. People played enough with it and dont want to cope, I mean adjust to a bad system.

People are tired of coping with all these bad changes. People are just not going to look forward to playing if they keep making the game annoying.
Stam regen penalties are, penalties. The game is punishing you for having better gear. Thats pretty backwards to do, give us thresholds back and then reduce the stam regen penalty to lower then the old threshold.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
WELL, WELL WELL. I would like to say i told you so, but no one listened. you want freedom and mobility? well this change is needed and welcomed because there was no push to make changes to classes like Mage that suffer from movement and mobility problems and were restricted on freedom of play. so this is now a good and balanced state where it doesnt feel bad actually i like the changes and it's healthy for the game

Fargus

Oct 17, 2021
WELL, WELL WELL. I would like to say i told you so, but no one listened. you want freedom and mobility? well this change is needed and welcomed because there was no push to make changes to classes like Mage that suffer from movement and mobility problems and were restricted on freedom of play. so this is now a good and balanced state where it doesnt feel bad actually i like the changes and it's healthy for the game
This comment is insane to me, I feel bad about playing so you should feel bad too? But as to the changes to stamina regeneration for mages as it stands right now you can't wear any armor at all as a foot/dex mage because if you do relying on your faster speed and stamina regeneration gets you caught if you are trying to also cast by fighters because their stamina pool is so much larger than yours.

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
Keep Stam regen low! Make running out of Stam DEVISTATING. it will only raise the skill floor and punish mindless spammers and sprint lock Narbs.