Some ideas/suggestions via fan concept art

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
I spoke with Mats about Kallard and Blainn eyes and learned exactly why their eyes look the way they do, so I’ll tackle some Kallard/Blainn eye ideas again some other time. In the Spoiler is what I originally had, but it’s outdated due to lore I didn’t know—so ignore it as an actual suggestion.

This one's a quick one I'm doing while making some breakfast for the morning, but it's been something I've had a little confusion on since MO1: This is the anatomy of an eye.

The pupil is not colored because it's a hole, that's why it's dark. Light entering that hole in the eye and reflecting off of the back of the eye is what allows all vertebrate animals to see. If you don't have a pupil, you're blind. Kallards, in particular, stick out as very bizarre because they're humans that look like they're completely blind. With no pupils, they shouldn't be able to see. I hate to make the comparison, but they essentially have magical WoW elf eyes.

I get that this is fantasy, and typically I'm one of the first people to jump to that when people ask about why something isn't 1:1 with reality—but the way their eyes work right now requires Kallards to see through magic or echolocation or something. To make them look less like possessed undead wights, my idea is creating a variety of eye options for Kallards from a very vibrant iris unique to Kallard ancestry, to something similar to what we see already. (The important part is that they all have a pupil, because you need one to see.)

rWMhq87.png

(This actually rolls into a future post I plan on making: Options tied to mixing ancestries—with each ancestry having a couple specific things that unlock when you mix it in to give people the option to show that their character has that heritage. So any human character who's 1/4 Kallard might unlock eye colors 1, 3, 7, and 8 as character creation options. A 1/2 Kallard may unlock all of them.)

Last edited:

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
I’ve had some more lore convos with Mats about aesthetics regarding the Tindremenes and Khurites, as well as specifics of Thursar, Kallard, and Blainn eyes—and how they’re intended to look.

The Khurite hairstyles themselves got his seal of approval, but he mentioned some missing hairstyle there that I’ll include in a second iteration. The Tindremenes though I’ll be approaching with different things in mind, and intend to redo them from the ground up to capture more of their unique cultural elements/principles that’d guide some of their hairstyles. As Mats put it: “all sorts of weird trumpery, fripperies, gewgaws, and ornaments”. I also had forgotten to consider the caste marks, which would mean bangs are out for the most part for Tindremenes.

So expect some updates to those soon(tm).

More likely than not I’ll tackle Thursar eyes next, since they’re actually not lore accurate right now (and weren’t in MO1 either from the looks of it).

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
Thursar Eyes

Here's what we have in-game right now:

c0Vecla.png

According to the lore article and information from Mats, these are more lore-accurate Thursar eyes:

thurseye-smaller3.jpg

"Their eyes are often completely dark yellow, dark brown or black, it is extremely rare to see a half orc with a bright human-like iris."

"The sclera is usually the same color as the iris, making the eye appear to have a uniform color. And, it is very uncommon for the iris to be bright."
-- DM with Mats
Not much to say about it, I just think it'd look cooler if both Thursar and Risar had dark eyes, like they're supposed to.