Some balance suggestions from taming

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Most pets are dogshit and they die easily. Taming skill doesn't make pets any stronger and contributes absolutely nothing to winning fights or survivability. Therefore it has no place being primary in action tree. Pets wouldn't be more OP (btw how if pets are so OP and game breaking how come everyone and his mother is a melee?) if taming was secondary.

> You can ride a pet
Horse is not exactly a pet. It's a necessity and should be recognized as a basic human right.

> store loot in a pet
Again, horses can do that.

> farm with a pet, attack enemy players with a pet
Wow. That's a game changer. No one else can farm or PvP in this game.

> sacrifice a pet to save yourself
Sacrifice hours of taming and training to save some dirt cheap gear? Smart.

I mean, pets are good. For the hours it takes to make them combat-ready they better be. As a mage, i died to tbirds more than once, but then i've also seen oghmirs obliterate tbirds (maybe not maxed but still) while not even wearing steel armor. Without even parrying them. Maybe if more people learned to parry pets they wouldn't be considered OP hey?

dude we don't need every body in this game with a combat pet. I think you are off base on this one, but I'm not gonna stay and argue my case. Just putting it up, peace.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
dude we don't need every body in this game with a combat pet. I think you are off base on this one, but I'm not gonna stay and argue my case. Just putting it up, peace.
You won't get everybody with a combat pet. Animal training would stay primary because it makes sense - you (at least you're supposed to) train your pets in the open world where danger of losing your pet is. So it would still take at least 300 points to tame and train a pet for yourself. And then you'll need either ecu with all that comes with it, or at least veterenary, preferably herding too if you want an actual combat pet and a horse. But it will be fair and not only benefit those who use multiple accs. There would probably be more builds that utilize low-tier pets for example, but it's called build diversity and is not a bad thing. Maybe people will finally learn that parrying thingy.

It currently takes 100-200 points to use pets (no vet or herding or anything) which most builds can afford, and you don't even need to buy them, just have a separate account for taming, but pets are still rare. Taming being secondary WILL NOT be a buff to tamers. Only a minority of tamers who don't use alt accounts will truly benefit from this, for the rest it would merely be a QoL.

Again if taming being secondary is such a huge problem it should at least give SOME utility in actual combat. Right now it has none. It's just a waste of points on a combat character.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
And exactly how are they different? A pet is a tamer's weapon just like a sword is a swordsman's weapon. The only difference is that you can ask your guildmate to craft you 30 swords and it will take less than a minute.

Tamers would still be able to sell pets to those who don't have ACC, or to those who don't want to bother with taming and training pets. Just like almost everyone can hunt turtles, but folks still buy carapaces. It doesn't exactly kill the trade.

Most of those who have ACC and don't ming taming/training have alt accounts to support their main anyway.
Yes, no. Can't compare a sword to auto attack creatures, i already told u that wouldn't be fair if all taming related skills went to profession, cuz will force people to pokemon meta builds for combat and thats the last thing you want to happen in this Game.

I was ok with anyone being able to tame shitter horses for a clearly travelling time problematic. But for making such drastic changes would require massive balance. For example i'm all good for making pets easier to lvl up, but for that matter they should have considerably lower HP and player damage, pets should be mostly a pve tool and not meta PVP, maybe in another world, or another dimension where SV can actually balance content pets should be included more in the PVP aspect of the game. But reality is, pets are not balanced in any way, theres no beast mastery skills to command pets, they just auto attack. So sorry if i don't want the game to turn into a pokemorgy, but that would clearly be a bad thing in the current state of the game.

Also i'm cool with builds diversity, but i wouldn't put my hands in the fire for making the game more pet centric, at least not without massive changes and new content. The state of pets is absolutly terrible right now and i don't get how would anyone wanna give em more space before balance and new content. It would require much more than just lowering training time to balance that shit.

Exiledkhallisi

Jan 27, 2022
Def would like to see more ways to transport stuff somewhat short distances. lol even if they had push carts or something. Combat pets and mounts are not the same. I've never really used combat pets (cept molvas lol,) but I've been taming since beginning of my playtime. I haven't tamed everything, either, but I am pretty sure that being able to tame a high lvl desi w/ 50 taming is broken. I'd say taming in general was better in MO1. I liked taming w/o mercy mode. I liked the variety. But yea you needed 100 to tame a lot of mounts and some were just impossible. lol dudes losing loyalty on their lvl 100+ pets and not being able to retame them then someone /guards them. Mo1memories.

I just pictured a lone untagged blue pushing a wheelbarrow full of calx getting shot at by an MA... 🤣

While fighting off dynamic spawns. Lol that wheelbarrow better hold like 20 stacks

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
You won't get everybody with a combat pet. Animal training would stay primary because it makes sense - you (at least you're supposed to) train your pets in the open world where danger of losing your pet is. So it would still take at least 300 points to tame and train a pet for yourself. And then you'll need either ecu with all that comes with it, or at least veterenary, preferably herding too if you want an actual combat pet and a horse. But it will be fair and not only benefit those who use multiple accs. There would probably be more builds that utilize low-tier pets for example, but it's called build diversity and is not a bad thing. Maybe people will finally learn that parrying thingy.

It currently takes 100-200 points to use pets (no vet or herding or anything) which most builds can afford, and you don't even need to buy them, just have a separate account for taming, but pets are still rare. Taming being secondary WILL NOT be a buff to tamers. Only a minority of tamers who don't use alt accounts will truly benefit from this, for the rest it would merely be a QoL.

Again if taming being secondary is such a huge problem it should at least give SOME utility in actual combat. Right now it has none. It's just a waste of points on a combat character.
Taming is a way to make money and a way to get creatures. Anyone can just not have taming and buy creatures off the market and use em in combat, but you want the whole cake, high tier pets are rewarding as fuck some pets are really OP and you wanna make it easier lol to use and get them.
I understand theres low tier pets that are not balanced and maybe should be included into beast mastery gameplay but damn just not pvp directed at least till they remake beast Mastery and work on AI thats not braindead.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
but you want the whole cake
I already have the whole cake. I tame and train pets on one character and use them on another. What i want is maybe a little QoL or at least an action skill that makes sense. Currently taming doesn't make sense as an action skill, it's just a confused profession skill.

And again, pets aren't OP lol. A maxed tbird will kill a veela and may kill a blain/thursar if they're bad, will certainly kill any kind of mage unless MM. But we're talking 1v1 situation here, and you don't walk around alone with a maxed tbird because any encounter with an MA would be the end of it, and you lose a lot more than a reptile carapace set and a steel sword or whatever.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
A pet is stronger than any weapon that you can craft. You can ride a pet, store loot in a pet, farm with a pet, attack enemy players with a pet, sacrifice a pet to save yourself. I could go on. Pets are 100% cracked in mortal, they are hands down one of the most broken things in the game.

Not really...

Pets are pretty meh. Only 3 types of pets can carry items... Bears, Taur Dogs, and horses. Of those only 2 can attack, Bears and Taur Dogs. None of those can attack a person on a mount and damage them. Only one of those is vaguely viable in PVP situations on its own.

Out of all of the tamable and dominatable pets only 1 is really used for PVP, and that is the Terror Bird. Only a couple are used for PVE, and those are Turtles or Crabs. Everything else is pretty much meh.

I have seen people try to use cougars, taur dogs, and even wolves..all have ended in failure. The only bears that are really used are brown bears and white bears... but if they are of any level you arent using a horse to get anywhere so enjoy your 2 hour walk anywhere.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I already have the whole cake. I tame and train pets on one character and use them on another. What i want is maybe a little QoL or at least an action skill that makes sense. Currently taming doesn't make sense as an action skill, it's just a confused profession skill.

And again, pets aren't OP lol. A maxed tbird will kill a veela and may kill a blain/thursar if they're bad, will certainly kill any kind of mage unless MM. But we're talking 1v1 situation here, and you don't walk around alone with a maxed tbird because any encounter with an MA would be the end of it, and you lose a lot more than a reptile carapace set and a steel sword or whatever.
I do not agree, taking taming off the action skills its 100 more advantage points for that class thats already OP, cuz it is. Telling me pets are "more balanced" in a group context is idiotic to say the least. Pets may get rekt easy in medium large group events as they could just petzerg people, but small conflict, good luck trying to disable a tamer with a max lvl terrobird and probably even mounted before it kills you or your group.

I think you are really missing the point with pets, they are absolute total dog ass and not fit for combat till a beast mastery rework. I do not vouch for 100 extra combat skill points for tamerbuilds to be more efficient at pvp.

And btw, its not just a quality of life feature and you know this. If it were a quality of life feature you would be asking for pet receipts, which i believe could be a great asset for the game. But of course SV wants you to have multiple accounts, i mean thats their thing. And you won't change that by switching taming to profession skills.

Last edited:

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Skill issue. Two melees kill a tbird no prob.
no, talking about fair scenario 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 and more people with multiple strong pets can rekt other ones with basic kiting notion. So don't come and tell me skill issue, if thats your argument you are a noob.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
no, talking about fair scenario 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 and more people with multiple strong pets can rekt other ones with basic kiting notion. So don't come and tell me skill issue, if thats your argument you are a noob.
So now it's multiple pets. I admit, never played in a guild large enough to see it happen. VS 1 tamer i've never had too much problem in 1500 hours on melee. And i was never a pro. Ok it can probably be difficult with multiple tbirds focusing one target. They probably should add some debuff on pets attacking one target. But then again, if tamers are so powerful, why don't you have them in your group?

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
So now it's multiple pets. I admit, never played in a guild large enough to see it happen. VS 1 tamer i've never had too much problem in 1500 hours on melee. And i was never a pro. Ok it can probably be difficult with multiple tbirds focusing one target. They probably should add some debuff on pets attacking one target. But then again, if tamers are so powerful, why don't you have them in your group?
The more the high tier pets its exponentially unfair, one of the reasons pokemon master is not really a thing its because things like taming are holding it back and making people decide what to make, the unrewarding nature of pets somewhat compensate for some of their capacities, but they end up being unrewarding because of the general design, that for strong pets you gotta invest a lot of travell time and then training time just to lose it to a few randoms in the wilderness. Im great with the idea of more and better working pets but mostly pve directed. Even if they do a flawless rework of beast mastery theres no certainty it will be a good addition to the pvp environment.
Idk you, but i've fought against many-pets crews and its not as unrewarding as you make it look. Imagine trying to escape 1 or 2 alvarin mages with pets without being veela, see how far you go. If its player skill you are trying to make a comparison, its fucking easy to have a pet landing hits, kite and get some fulms on some motherfucker, if someone is good or stupid enough to stay and fight.

Btw, your argument to pets are op and garbage for pvp is "get good" "skill based", quite the opposite. Commanding a pet to auto attack with its 3 commands is hardly a "skilled" scenario. Oh but you mean the actual person getting attacked by pets should be the "skilled one".

Pets are total garbage, they shouldn't buff any of it without balancing their utility really hard, and lets not even mention AI. If anything pets should get nerfed for pvp and buffed for pve as an urgent balance.

D

Deleted member 44

This post is very amusing. These forums are delusional as ever. "Pets are unpowered and MAs are over powered" classic.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
This post is very amusing. These forums are delusional as ever. "Pets are unpowered and MAs are over powered" classic.
Pet's aren't underpowered, they just aren't as OP as people say and they deserve to be powerful for the amount of time it takes to have them ready for pvp. I would prefer them to be weaker but easier to get, much easier. It shouldn't be *the* weapon that can kill an average player with no input. But again, this can only happen if pets are much, much easier to get and train. And yes, MAs, while weak in general, are hard counter to tamers. If you have problem with pets, maybe you should have some MAs in your group. And most melees can afford 200 points on MA.

If anything pets should get nerfed for pvp and buffed for pve as an urgent balance.
This is a pvp game. No one would bother with taming if it wasn't powerful in pvp. Dunno maybe you play somewhere near the jungle, but in GK area pets are a non-issue. There are very few tamers around. When you encounter one, it can be tough. But then again, 50% of the time the pet dies, which hurts a lot more than losing whatever you have on your melee. Or the tamer just flees to save it.

Commanding a pet to auto attack with its 3 commands is hardly a "skilled" scenario.
I'm just saying that you should be able to kill most pets as blain/thursar. And you absolutely must be able to obliterate them if there's two of you. If you can't you're bad and you shouldn't be complaining about how skilless pet gameplay is, that's it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 44

Tashka. Let's play a game. We fight each other. You bring an MA and I bring my fat mage with a terror bird. Let's see who wins.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Tashka. Let's play a game. We fight each other. You bring an MA and I bring my fat mage with a terror bird. Let's see who wins.

I don't have an MA anymore. But i fail to see how you can possibly with this.