Should blocks have a cooldown before you can block again

Put a 0.5 - 1.0 second delay between parries

• Total voters

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
Rspectfully misseur,

You said it makes games with high ttk about reflexes. Mo1 actually had high ttk and LOW reflexes overall except for spin which was not idealized because it wasnt that necessary. This would be a reflex cap and you are trying to make it on the basis that thise games left you eith s bad taste in your mouth. If you liked mortal 1 why throw out what made you pleased?

I see your argument. You are saying people can adjust guarding instantly and it's reflex based. That's true but - What I am trying to say is, older pc's, players, need to be able to adjust there blocks b/c poor reflexes can be corrected. If you cannot correct the bad action(s) that will result in faster fights... I tried MO1 at the start but I actually stuck with DF. DF, MO1, all resulted in running in fast circles around your target with cat like reflexes hitting your target in range and in and out from my experience. Id rather much have mount and blade combat like we got now. Is it pefect? NO. But I think its a great start.

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
Also, lets all try to remember, this alpha combat test - its with toons maxed out... just think of newbs vs maxed out toons.... I think we are all jumping ahead of ourselves asking for revisions. I'd like devs to make everyone no skills/levels and see how it works for a month or two before a wipe/persistence.

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
The running fast in circles is suppsedly a legitimate argument but I mean if you took a few weaks learning how to use the preemption of strikes, positioning, and use of different weapon length based on directional swing, feint etc you could come up with a system that allowed you to do much violence without excessive running. I don't mind the running compared to mordhau and chivalry. It's forgiving and also the old vet has imo the best chance with lower reflex changes it just took alot of effort. I fear the children.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Also, lets all try to remember, this alpha combat test - its with toons maxed out... just think of newbs vs maxed out toons.... I think we are all jumping ahead of ourselves asking for revisions. I'd like devs to make everyone no skills/levels and see how it works for a month or two before a wipe/persistence.
We should not wish for SV to dumb down or balance down combat to accommodate half built characters.

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
The running fast in circles is suppsedly a legitimate argument but I mean if you took a few weaks learning how to use the preemption of strikes, positioning, and use of different weapon length based on directional swing, feint etc you could come up with a system that allowed you to do much violence without excessive running. I don't mind the running compared to mordhau and chivalry. It's forgiving and also the old vet has imo the best chance with lower reflex changes it just took alot of effort. I fear the children.

Well said. Here is how I think: Most people will never get that good but maybe average. They can cater to the same 500 people in MO and they can continue to have there circle jerking combat orgy. Or people can accept changes (much more fun for the most part for most people). I still actually see circle fighting in this game lol - just toned down alot... I see vets not liking it cause they cant gank a single competent person in a few seconds now. I think SV wants 5-6k players at least. MnB has a huge following, MO2 is killing it and could draw a lot of people.

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
Well We can go into paretio principles if you want but I think the best idea is to have trickle down wealth which allows for the newbie to get to the top without making the top 2 steps from the bottom. Making low reflex deliberate moves matter doesn't seem to feed any unfair circles but offsets unfairs zergs which seem to love that sort of thing. To help the newbie we should empower the noobie to search for options that work reliably without respect for bad odds

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
Think what I would like to see is Parry disabled for X seconds after reaching zero stam.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
This would ruin any chance a smaller group has to beat a larger one. Every block would give opening and no chance at blocking multiple hits coming in.

Reactions: Bernfred

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
MO didnt have cooldown on blocks. All the blocking changes MO made after release made the game more zerg friendly and limited low number group play.
Kicking if implemented how I assume will be another feature that will reward numbers more than individual skilled individuals.

Duels will improve but group play will suffer.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
MO didnt have cooldown on blocks. All the blocking changes MO made after release made the game more zerg friendly and limited low number group play.
Kicking if implemented how I assume will be another feature that will reward numbers more than individual skilled individuals.

The game feels really zergy right now to me.

Reactions: Rorry and ThaBadMan

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It should be balanced for the naked to have a chance at the highest built character imo.
Not sure why you say naked when I said half built character. A naked with skill has a good chance in either MO.

Why should a low skilled player, or unfinished character be able to compete with a high skilled player, or fully built character? Unless the player is low skilled obviously. Ludicrous! Skill must matter or the game falls short of it's promises. Dumbing it down is the opposite.

Reactions: Garfielf

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020

In comparison to this system it could effectively be said to have a cooldown.

Buffallo

Aug 3, 2020
Not sure why you say naked when I said half built character. A naked with skill has a good chance in either MO.

Why should a low skilled player, or unfinished character be able to compete with a high skilled player, or fully built character? Unless the player is low skilled obviously. Ludicrous! Skill must matter or the game falls short of it's promises. Dumbing it down is the opposite.

A naked in this game has significantly less chances from having less openings for attacks to land.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I don't think there should be a global time-increase in blocking but I do think there should be a timer in missed parries, to punish players who block too early or just miss-blocks. A couple of seconds should suffice, enough to get a free swing in.

I would much rather they overhaul blocking and have a blocking arc in the direction you are blocking, so front-blocking would have the arc being forward and side-blocking have the arc be at the side, and have less damage taken the closer to the middle of the arc you block. On shields the arc could be wider at the base to emulate the wider hitbox of a shield. Maybe still keep the parry window for the first second or so to reward good reactions.

Last edited:

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I don't think there should be a global time-increase in blocking but I do think there should be a timer in missed parries, to punish players who block too early or just miss-blocks. A couple of seconds should suffice, enough to get a free swing in.
The problem is with the current just spamming meta, when you 1v1 for a keep the spammer will win. Solution make it so you can't move your camera at all.

Reactions: Rorry