shadows

oykd

Nov 26, 2020
why there is no option for shadows OFF just low ? seen one guy on twich without shadows he did in engine.ini files i personaly think messing with engine.ini files shoud be bannable. nothing against that guy!

Feb 4, 2022
San Diego, CA
I think the reason is the same reason why you can't alter the gamma settings in the game. It is part of maintaining the realism that I think the game is striving for. In reality, nighttime is dark. Being out in a forest during the day versus at night is a very different experience and the game is seeking to capture that. The lighting system in the game is beautiful and creates very immersive and dynamic atmospheric lighting. Personally, I do think they're still working out the kinks in this system but it honestly is so good even for this early iteration.

And yes, messing with the .ini files is likely against the Starvault TOS or at the very least against the vision for the game. If they wanted people to be able to change the gamma/brightness settings, they would have put that in the settings. While there is no formal stealth ability in the game as of yet, there is still plenty of capacity for using stealth in combat if you know what you are doing. If people just turn up gamma or brightness or turn shadows off, then it eliminates a whole diversity of styles of play from the game and pushes everyone further into the zerg status quo.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
why there is no option for shadows OFF just low ? seen one guy on twich without shadows he did in engine.ini files i personaly think messing with engine.ini files shoud be bannable. nothing against that guy!

I def agree at bannable, but this sounds like a "I'M LOGGED INTO THE GAME" problem. We need a different forum for those :p

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
who is henrik ?

He’s da boss man.
The CEO, CFO, and UFO.
El Capitan of the Crapitanic.
The Star of the Vault of sorrows.
The money in the fanny (pack).
The hope and dreams of all the fanboys forever lurking in the pvp sandbox shadows of despair.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Meltdown

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I think the reason is the same reason why you can't alter the gamma settings in the game. It is part of maintaining the realism that I think the game is striving for. In reality, nighttime is dark. Being out in a forest during the day versus at night is a very different experience and the game is seeking to capture that. The lighting system in the game is beautiful and creates very immersive and dynamic atmospheric lighting. Personally, I do think they're still working out the kinks in this system but it honestly is so good even for this early iteration.

And yes, messing with the .ini files is likely against the Starvault TOS or at the very least against the vision for the game. If they wanted people to be able to change the gamma/brightness settings, they would have put that in the settings. While there is no formal stealth ability in the game as of yet, there is still plenty of capacity for using stealth in combat if you know what you are doing. If people just turn up gamma or brightness or turn shadows off, then it eliminates a whole diversity of styles of play from the game and pushes everyone further into the zerg status quo.

I always make it so I can see clearly at night by changing my PC settings. Not being able to see 2 feet in front of me just annoys me. There's nothing fun about not being able to play 50% of the time. But it only hurts honest players because anyone with half a brain can figure out how to make night as bright as day

Feb 4, 2022
San Diego, CA
I always make it so I can see clearly at night by changing my PC settings. Not being able to see 2 feet in front of me just annoys me. There's nothing fun about not being able to play 50% of the time. But it only hurts honest players because anyone with half a brain can figure out how to make night as bright as day

Like I said, I think there is still some tweaking to be done with the lighting in the game. Yes, it is too dramatic and causes some weird shadows during the afternoon/twilight hours. But nighttime being dark shouldn't really be a complaint in my mind. Of course, it is nighttime and it is dark, but even nighttime in this game does seem brighter during some periods (likely because of the presence of two large moons that reflect a lot of light).

Nobody can stop you from changing your monitor settings to increase gamma or brightness. However, it seems clear to me that this was not what the developers intended. If it is dark, maybe you should consider taking out a torch. They were added to the game for that reason.

Or, if nighttime being so dark bothers you, you could always reroll to become an Alvarin and get the Nightvision clade gift. Just suggesting some alternatives that actually help bring you further into the game rather than making it washed out and boring.

Also, just to be clear, nighttime is shorter than day. It is like a reduced night.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Like I said, I think there is still some tweaking to be done with the lighting in the game. Yes, it is too dramatic and causes some weird shadows during the afternoon/twilight hours. But nighttime being dark shouldn't really be a complaint in my mind. Of course, it is nighttime and it is dark, but even nighttime in this game does seem brighter during some periods (likely because of the presence of two large moons that reflect a lot of light).

Nobody can stop you from changing your monitor settings to increase gamma or brightness. However, it seems clear to me that this was not what the developers intended. If it is dark, maybe you should consider taking out a torch. They were added to the game for that reason.

Or, if nighttime being so dark bothers you, you could always reroll to become an Alvarin and get the Nightvision clade gift. Just suggesting some alternatives that actually help bring you further into the game rather than making it washed out and boring.

Also, just to be clear, nighttime is shorter than day. It is like a reduced night.

Night vision clade doesn't do anything.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Night vision clade doesn't do anything.
That is incorrect.

At this time it does very little, but the use of it is increasing as they are updating the lighting system and the "darkness blob".
When the game hits UE5 they'll have to probably see it over again, too.

What it does is increase the range to the blob around your character at night where you cant see anything, its very slight change but its there, once the dungeons get another overhaul on their shadows and lighting i will apply in dungeons too.

Its a very minor clade, but for the fact its the first clade in the tree, its better than most and the value of it will only increase with time.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
That is incorrect.

At this time it does very little, but the use of it is increasing as they are updating the lighting system and the "darkness blob".
When the game hits UE5 they'll have to probably see it over again, too.

What it does is increase the range to the blob around your character at night where you cant see anything, its very slight change but its there, once the dungeons get another overhaul on their shadows and lighting i will apply in dungeons too.

Its a very minor clade, but for the fact its the first clade in the tree, its better than most and the value of it will only increase with time.
Would've fooled me