Road map

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
From what I heard recently on one of Henrik's livestreams, they're moving away from the two patch per month model, and towards a "It'll be ready when it's ready".

So, I'm guessing they'll ditch the current roadmap, or replace it with a more flexible one that only shows what they're working on next, without any release dates.

It feels like they slipped and this was their solution to avoid it in the future.

Which is what it is I guess.

Hopefully this allows them to keep up the 2 week updates that they have lead players to expect.

And that they will at least have a generic roadmap that shows the content that is in different stages of completion.

Even if it does not actually show when any of it will actually be completed.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
It feels like they slipped and this was their solution to avoid it in the future.

Hopefully this allows them to keep up the 2 week updates that they have lead players to expect.

And that they will at least have a generic roadmap that shows the content that is in different stages of completion.

I do like the way EVE Online has been announcing and then releasing content for some time now.

They quietly make the content internally such that by the time they announce it, it's pretty much ready for mass-testing on their test server. After a week or so, it goes live.

Hopefully SV can follow this development cycle to some degree.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia

One content patch a month is fine. What is not fine is waiting a month for the next content patch to fix the bugs the previous patch added.

How many months we going now with invisible NPCs at houses requiring a random amount of relogs to fix themselves?

Trinkets that are bugged since day one and they know so and have a fix... why wait until necro is ready to fix them?

manure

May 7, 2022
I do like the way EVE Online has been announcing and then releasing content for some time now.

They quietly make the content internally such that by the time they announce it, it's pretty much ready for mass-testing on their test server. After a week or so, it goes live.

Hopefully SV can follow this development cycle to some degree.

The problem is that on this way you dont create an expectation... Its actually good to know what you re about to have in game so that people start wondering and get excited to test it once its released...
If you dont know what is coming, or even if anything at all is coming, you lose interest... and since theres not too much risk in this game anymore, it becomes boring, and people start quitting, or finding time to go test different games.

I reiterate : You may NOT create safe areas, blessed items, or give too many protections in games like this one, because what keeps people here is the thrilling, the excitement, the DANGER.
When you may leave your horse or yourself idle afk anywhere in town without the risk of dieing, or you can farm at a Graveyard with absolutely zero risk, or you can mine saburra without ANY risk of dieing, or you have a ridiculous powerful item that stays with you upon death, unlootable.... the game becomes BORING.

They killed a big percentage of the fun in this game.
The lack of people playing these days only proves my point.

The only way to bring people back is releasing interesting stuff like thieving and Siege, AND removing excessive guard protection and unlootable craps.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The only way to bring people back is releasing interesting stuff like thieving and Siege, AND removing excessive guard protection and unlootable craps.

But let them fix the most important bugs before! Why should one build a house when chests and workbenches become invisible? And many other bugs kicking players from the game.

manure

May 7, 2022
But let them fix the most important bugs before! Why should one build a house when chests and workbenches become invisible? And many other bugs kicking players from the game.

Oh, no doubt. You re right.
Got to fix all these craps asap. Especially the infamous suicide murder count bug/exploit.

Fix and Deliver !!

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
The problem is that on this way you dont create an expectation... Its actually good to know what you re about to have in game so that people start wondering and get excited to test it once its released...
If you dont know what is coming, or even if anything at all is coming, you lose interest...
Yes, but then we'd be back to where we are now. SV puts out a roadmap and timeline, they miss it and we are now upset. They put out a roadmap but not a timeline, and we are also upset.

Instead, I think it would be good if they drop hints a few weeks before they reveal upcoming content, to generate hype and interest. Then when the content is revealed, it's more or less ready for testing, followed by release.

That's basically how EVE Online has been keeping its playerbase in the loop and happily enjoying current content, while their next release is in the works behind the scenes.

They've managed to combine the best of both worlds, hype and certainty.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

manure

May 7, 2022
Yes, but then we'd be back to where we are now. SV puts out a roadmap and timeline, they miss it and we are now upset. They put out a roadmap but not a timeline, and we are also upset.

Instead, I think it would be good if they drop hints a few weeks before they reveal upcoming content, to generate hype and interest. Then when the content is revealed, it's more or less ready for testing, followed by release.

That's basically how EVE Online has been keeping its playerbase in the loop and happily enjoying current content, while their next release is in the works behind the scenes.

They've managed to combine the best of both worlds, hype and certainty.

Well, if they drop hints, Im game !
Would work indeed !
Im with you on this.

What cannot be done is to remain silent for god knows how long, and suddenly, out of nowhere, without any warnings, apply a patch.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Eve is a finished game, they can afford that. In MO2 however, the focus is too shifted towards future and not enough to the present. It is evident by things like trinkets that give points in thievery or animism despite they aren't even in game, or by how animism is present in skills window, or how humans have a gift that give a bonus to p... p... pwhatever. When asked about current game's problems, Henrik in his streams usually refers to some future content that will someday fix those issues. That content may not even be on the roadmap even, it may not be coming this or even next year, so issues remain for months and possibly years until that piece of new content finally comes.

We almost never see balance patches. Because mages will get better with necromancy, mounted archery will get nerfed when they'll add aim wobble, weapon balance will be achieved when they'll add special moves. So basically we'll have a semi-finished game in maybe two or three years from now.

manure

May 7, 2022
Eve is a finished game, they can afford that. In MO2 however, the focus is too shifted towards future and not enough to the present. It is evident by things like trinkets that give points in thievery or animism despite they aren't even in game, or by how animism is present in skills window, or how humans have a gift that give a bonus to p... p... pwhatever. When asked about current game's problems, Henrik in his streams usually refers to some future content that will someday fix those issues. That content may not even be on the roadmap even, it may not be coming this or even next year, so issues remain for months and possibly years until that piece of new content finally comes.

We almost never see balance patches. Because mages will get better with necromancy, mounted archery will get nerfed when they'll add aim wobble, weapon balance will be achieved when they'll add special moves. So basically we'll have a semi-finished game in maybe two or three years from now.

In my opinion, even with all these flaws, bugs and unfinished craps, if they released thieving, sieging and removed big portion of NPC guards, the game would become great again, because it would be EXCITING to play once again, despite the bugs and flaws.

The way it is today, it gets tedious, without player conflicts... Everything is so safe and easy... Hell, we even see guards OUTSIDE certain towns !
Equipped trinkets are unlootable... Lictor guards are ultra strong and insta kill you if you go gray inside town....

What a bore.
The game was much better in february.
If they dont bring exciting stuff, I Hope they at least revert all patches and bring back the good old february rules.

ashshfsjhkdkk

Mar 21, 2022
I think the reason they will not move to a more logical model of either rolling hotfixes silently or dropping hints, or any of the great ideas suggested so far is that they seem to be fairly bent on announcing everything they are doing and plan on doing via a stream is because there are certain members of the team who want all of the attention with people saying 'wow this is so awesome!111!1'

I see this as a personality issue that is both detrimental to the development of the game, and setting expectations properly and is what is causing most of the issues.