Remove lictors from graveyards

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
It was mostly new players and bad players killing each other. Learning the game on a low risk and investment level. Now that has been removed. More will be removed in the future.

Of course this is used for virtue signaling and political purposes as seen above. You heathen scum just can´t resist filling your empty chests with hot air and letting out moral sounding garbage.
It has nothing about morality, virtue signaling or political purposes. We want the game to reach a large audience of players and allow for a place for new shitters to gear up to then lose it out in the map with PvP. What does currently having guards in the GY remove from the game besides the whole slippery slope idea you've got going that SV is going to remove PvP completely.

Is it just new players fighting eachother and learning the game? Or is it mainly veterans as per usual stomping new players into the dust for kicks and giggles? I'd bet the net positive of allowing new players or poor players regain some wealth at a ridiculously low rate in relative safety outweighs the enjoyment a handful of players get from slapping nakeds with steel.

Reactions: Suttner and Rankor

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Perhaps when territory control is implemented the guild in charge can call on/off the lictors in certain areas of a town including the town graveyard?

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
Honestly who cares about GY stuff?

You really need to kill noobs with vendor stuff with your tung sword? :LOL:

As long as towns remain raidable with a large raiding party, its fine. And they remain that way, even with one or two more lictor at GY :rolleyes:

Some relative safety is good for the new players as long as they still need to stay on guard for that massive town raid that could still happen. Or the sneaky thief etc. Those are the events that also form memories. For all participants

Not some squabble over a few coins at GY

Reactions: BongRips

BongRips

Jun 15, 2020
I seem to remember the steam release on mo1 being very successful for a short period of time.

This is partially due to people griefing naked in the gys all day long. People will argue that arpk guilds should've done something more but it was literally 24/7.

I love the hard-core game play but even I got a tad frustrated when I made a newbie in MK and couldn't even make it to the gy before getting killed by a mob of guys in steel at 2am.

I believe the true fun in mortal is random encounters, politics, and small scale fights. Not killing nakeds in a graveyard.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Once better loot areas are added into the game this will be such a small thing. At the moment most people use graveyards to farm and thats where reds like to gank. You now have to get more players to take out the guards to kill the players. Once there are more dungeons and high value areas to farm then you can find PvP there all the time.

Also I don't see an issue with allowing shit players / new players / whatever to farm gold in a very slow rate in relative safety. (Can always gank them between GY and bank or kill the guards and then the players) so that they can continue to play and have a chance to regear and fight if they want. Imagine being a player who isn't a good player that cannot even farm or progress in any way because of a single red player killing everyone or a small group. This is why people quit MO1, everyone should be able to progress in some way even when there are reds around.
Maybe this would make sense on capital cities but everywhere else should be up to the cities own militia/arpk guilds to protect noobs. Believe it or not, graveyard pvp serves as an introduction for shit players to pvp with other shit players in their same skill level, you cant expect them to roam to minos to get steamrolled instantly. Sure sometimes vets go camp it, but thats where ARPK guilds/militia come in and usually zerg the shit out of those vets. You are literally taking their jobs of protecting noobs and giving them to a npc, not very sandbox.

And its not only lictors, guards now aggro from massive distances and chase you forever. We are back to MO1 guardzone pvp atm, even worse. Id say the pre patch guard protection was fine for small cities like Fab, just give noobs porting from Haven some disclosure that this city is only moderately safe or something so they know what they getting themselves into.

Reactions: Starz

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Id say the pre patch guard protection was fine for small cities like Fab
This is proof positive you weren't even in the area. There WERE no guards in Fab, that's why everyone was calling it a Red City.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
This is proof positive you weren't even in the area. There WERE no guards in Fab, that's why everyone was calling it a Red City.
I was there actually. Saw no gankings inside town, it wasnt a "24/7 gank zone" like some ppl in help chat where whining about. At most some ppl got ganked while extracting. When a group of like 10 or 15 pvpers tried to raid they got zerged by a million random kids, got pushed all the way to fab tower and all got wiped. Didnt really see any issues, players policed themselves for the most part. Should've just fixed the trash flagging system instead of adding all those guards.

Reactions: Starz

Jhackman

Jun 6, 2020
Tind and mk should probably have them and be the “safe” cities with little to no resources inside the cities. Towns like fab bakti and vadda should be the way they were in mo1. There will be plenty of loot to bandit outside the city.

Reactions: BongRips

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I was there actually. Saw no gankings inside town, it wasnt a "24/7 gank zone" like some ppl in help chat where whining about. At most some ppl got ganked while extracting. When a group of like 10 or 15 pvpers tried to raid they got zerged by a million random kids, got pushed all the way to fab tower and all got wiped. Didnt really see any issues, players policed themselves for the most part. Should've just fixed the trash flagging system instead of adding all those guards.
That we can agree on.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
It has nothing about morality, virtue signaling or political purposes. We want the game to reach a large audience of players and allow for a place for new shitters to gear up to then lose it out in the map with PvP. What does currently having guards in the GY remove from the game besides the whole slippery slope idea you've got going that SV is going to remove PvP completely.

Is it just new players fighting eachother and learning the game? Or is it mainly veterans as per usual stomping new players into the dust for kicks and giggles? I'd bet the net positive of allowing new players or poor players regain some wealth at a ridiculously low rate in relative safety outweighs the enjoyment a handful of players get from slapping nakeds with steel.

It´s not an idea. It´s an educated guess based on my observations and every patch reinforces it. You can close your eyes to it if you like.

To put it another way: Is there a single aspect of this game that is more hardcore than the first iteration?

People from various guilds going around claiming how they love the noobs, would never hurt the noobs and how "griefers" are destroying the game is political. It´s a standard "I´m good - you´re bad, so you argument is invalid" approach.

Reaching for the "bigger" audience is a bullshit argument as well. What would that entail? You know that the biggest possible audiences does not want open PvP and full loot at all, right? By that logic MO2 should not exist. It is also why no big serious company makes a game like MO2. Going for the "bigger" audience instead of focusing on the strength of your own design will not work out in the long run.

Your last paragraph again is just virtue signaling about how you think killing new players is bad. You also make vast assumptions. In MO1 I´ve barely ever seen someone in steel around graveyards unless sweeping through. Even if that was a thing, it´s easily prevented by all you morally upstanding citizens killing said loot piniata. Afterall, he must be bad because he uses steel to kill new players. But you won´t have to, because it´s a fantasy. It will be mostly terrible players with flakestone swords and very often they will kill each other in the process.

New player DO need to learn how to fight back, avoid conflict, find safe farming spots. Giving them one fucking spot to farm is a terrible design to start with. Bandaiding it by putting lictors in it is polishing a turd.

In the end you can continue to turn off PvP in more and more areas with the same arguments that being made in this thread. It won´t help the new players or the game in the long run. Unless you ideal game revolves around players falling back on the lictor graveyard for farming repeatedly because they never learned how to handle the real game. Which would be a sad game that deserves to die to be honest.

Reactions: Starz and cerqo

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
(Sorry for wall of text)

Odd. I recall watching a stream last night of a guy and his friends ganking everyone in Meduli GY for hours. Pretty sure its his daily routine.

Whether or not the Lictor should be in the GY? Idk...probably not. But I do remember in my early MO1 days of being a new player and not being able to go outside to Farm springbok (and slow walk carcass back on foot to get some random butcher to butcher it for me to get my measly 50% profit ) because reds were outside killing anyone who walked out of the gate. I just wanted to farm some coin to get myself some decent gear that would allow me to try to sneak off the Fab walls to kill a Belbus. I remember how I felt like I couldn't even leave town to progress in any way so I logged off multiple times out of frustration. Luckily I found a guild and they gave me gold and starter gear and helped fend off the reds.

The point is, I'm sure that's how noobs feel when reds are camping and slaying everything in the GY. They literally don't know what else to do...they are just practicing combat and trying to make minimal coin. I understand people think guards being in the GY could lead to even more similar things in the future, but the GY is a slight upgrade from killing damn pigs. Its a way for new players who have nothing to try to make some coin so they can get out in the world. (think like Scav runs on Tarkov)

Yes, I've been that guy killing them in the GY. Yes, its caused militia to come out and give really fun fights. But I also understand how demoralizing it was for new players literally just trying to understand the basics of the game. I want this game to have a healthy population. And if that means semi-protection in a bottom tier farming spot then so be it. It won't and shouldn't effect us in any negative way. I do think a town militia can serve this purpose though, as long as there are friendly guilds there to do it.

Having said all that, Henrik said on stream they shouldn't be out that far. So you can all relax.

People do need to try to think about the health of the game though. While we all want it to stay true to its roots, it doesn't mean we have to keep bad things the way they were because we had to suffer them in MO1. If anything we should have learned from it and try not to repeat it.

Lastly, even though this is a stress test, SV should be ashamed of adding this half-baked flagging system into the game for us all to take advantage of.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
I won't enter in the merit of RPK vs ARPK discussion at graveyard etc. I would say from the game economy point of view that right now graveyards are maybe a too much valuable form of income then, especially if protected by lictors.

while it's true that GY are not the best source of income in the game, one could easily farm hundred of golds over several days if not too much competition in it. and being able to do so just few meters away from a city with guards littered all over might be a bit much. you will end up with people just clutching at the graveyard for easy money and never leave into the world.

in this regards, vendor prices of fresh walker heads should maybe be reduced by 50% to compensate for the extra safety.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i think an on/off patrol to the graveyard would be perfect, that you have safe, not so safe and danger times in the end.

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Oh noes we can't just roll newbies who've been playing the game for only a couple hours doing a poor to mediocre farm because they're too noob to know there's better, whatever will we do :(

Haha big no. Put some effort into your ganks.

Walking lootbag speaking.

Aslong as they fix the godawfully broken aggro and patrol range of the lictor (which is ABSURDLY obvious a broken implementation) then its gonna be fine, as it stands right now, Fabernums guardzone extends like 4x the size of the town. The lictor is also unkillable.

Last edited:

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
i think an on/off patrol to the graveyard would be perfect, that you have safe, not so safe and danger times in the end.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. A good "middle" ground would be to have them patrol between areas of the town and have a smaller aggro radius. Could even be per day/night cycles - no guards during the night 🤷

Reactions: Suttner

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021

i highly doubt you were there... or maybe you just saw an extremely limited sneak peak into the everyday.
but there was a 24/7 gank zone everywhere. People even logged out and fab was a complete ghost town for some time.

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
Reaching for the "bigger" audience is a bullshit argument as well. What would that entail? You know that the biggest possible audiences does not want open PvP and full loot at all, right? By that logic MO2 should not exist. It is also why no big serious company makes a game like MO2. Going for the "bigger" audience instead of focusing on the strength of your own design will not work out in the long run.

i kinda have to disagree on this... look at hugely popular games like Rust. Noone thought it would make it when it came out, now it THE shooter on the market. Times have changed, the "bigger audience" is openly looking for something like Mortal.

Theodosius

Jul 24, 2020
Unlike your idiotic thread my comment is based on tangible facts and giving sound advice.

Now move along little heathen.
Tangible facts that they’re creating a more enjoyable experience for new players; the biggest thing lacking from MO. You, your entire guild, and your best veteran friends could all quit and nobody would care or notice.

New player retention is needed for mo2, how is that for tangible facts? RPK smoothbrain upset that he can’t nuke 1 hour old noobs in the graveyard anymore. Cry me a river, you should consider it’s not the “same game” you donated for, and leave.