Proper Siege Mechanic

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
Keeps provide siege immunity globally. This is pretty silly.

I think defense bonus should be reverted to the way it worked with supply storehouses providing global defense bonus. Supply towers giving global DB is fine, too. Keeps should only grant the immunity within their sphere of influence but it's actually fine for them to continue to function the way they do.

Just make it so we can see individual building's DB and give us the tools to drain that DB for precise targets.

Make it so siege tents slowly drain DB from all war-decced buildings in a 100m radius. Easy.

Guild gets an alert, "Stronghold is losing defense bonus! It's down to 22%!"
"Stronghold is losing defense bonus! It's down to 21%!"
siege tents are cheap enough to build and easy enough to destroy. Make it so you can't lock the siege tents down so anyone can pick up the rocks to empty them. One dude with a hammer can then destroy a siege tent within 10 minutes to break the siege but if the attackers defend that tent and/or build new ones, the siege is inevitable.

Reactions: Xrayce

Poolice

Sep 24, 2022
Every Keepguild is unsiegeable as ong as their supply lines are up. So you either siege keep or siege nothing. GG. Have fun with the vision.
It has been too long, Star Vault. The game sandbox is transforming, you need to do something about this quick.

About the siege tent reducing the defense of buildings in a certain radius, sounds like it solves many problems. Maybe it should be another building, like a Siege Command Tent, more expensive as if to make commitment placing it.
People have Darkfall siege mechanic is high regard, i never played it but surely heard good things about it over the years. It does seem as if it is applicable to MO2 rather easily, and if it worked nice for a decade, it could be considered releatively tested and reviewed.

In any way, Star Vault needs to think about this topic harder. TC is over-encompassing the whole game, and with the current state of everything its just ''wait for this, wait for that''. For too long.

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
I think the morning after a thousand or more players spent their friday night playing supply tower whack-a-mole is a pertinent time to bump this thread.

I want us to vote on how TC should be fixed. The features and stuff are fine, prioritization, whatever...

But we really need the community to come together and decide how TC/sieging should be handled.

I just wonder, how the heck did SV envision the supply tower game actually playing out? Did they design it like this on purpose or was there things that just hadn't been thought through properly or was it simply that implementation has been blundered?

Please, please, please, we need this done right.

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
If supply towers are made regional, there will exist swathes of blessed land where buildings can be covered by 1, 2, or even 3 towers. Keeps will be unbalanced as not all of them have the same amount of towers nearby.

I think supply towers must remain global but are we really expected to have tower maintenance alts logged out near towers all around the map?

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
Guild Territory Defense Update
  • Now, defense bonuses are specific to each territory building and player home, not overall.
  • When you check a building, you'll see its defense.
  • Supply Lines boost defense only for the linked keep and its walls.
  • Buildings and homes near a Supply Storehouse will gradually increase in defense.
  • If a Supply Line or Storehouse is taken out, affected buildings will gradually lose their defense boost.
  • Fixed an issue where NPCs in player-built structures weren't looking in the right direction.

good changes. We're moving in the right direction.

I don't think "near a supply storehouse" is a good system. We have dozens of supply storehouses now.

Are supply towers still "global?" IMO that's fine. Perhaps the further away a building is from the supply tower, the slower it generates DB?
Obviously, the easiest and best solution is the siege tent changes I've proposed.

Reactions: Calcal

PlayWithYou

Feb 18, 2024
Players throughout the guild perceive the capture of towers as punishment, and not as interesting game content. If these are exactly the emotions that the developers wanted to introduce into the game, then they are on the right track. The tower should not be built and destroyed by one or two people. This must be feasible for at least 20 people and take at least 30 minutes for it to create pvp.

Reactions: Philocypher

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
Guild Territory Defense Update
  • Now, defense bonuses are specific to each territory building and player home, not overall.
  • When you check a building, you'll see its defense.
  • Supply Lines boost defense only for the linked keep and its walls.
  • Buildings and homes near a Supply Storehouse will gradually increase in defense.
  • If a Supply Line or Storehouse is taken out, affected buildings will gradually lose their defense boost.
  • Fixed an issue where NPCs in player-built structures weren't looking in the right direction.

good changes. We're moving in the right direction.

I don't think "near a supply storehouse" is a good system. We have dozens of supply storehouses now.

Are supply towers still "global?" IMO that's fine. Perhaps the further away a building is from the supply tower, the slower it generates DB?
Obviously, the easiest and best solution is the siege tent changes I've proposed.
SV you've been handed a good solution. At the very least consider it. As always with this company the silence is deafening.

Reactions: Philocypher

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
Players throughout the guild perceive the capture of towers as punishment, and not as interesting game content. If these are exactly the emotions that the developers wanted to introduce into the game, then they are on the right track. The tower should not be built and destroyed by one or two people. This must be feasible for at least 20 people and take at least 30 minutes for it to create pvp.
I don't know if there ought to be any changes to the supply tower game. Tweaking that balance is probably going to be really difficult.

Instead, I think they should implement the siege mechanics that I've proposed to give players a bypass. Supply towers should serve to extend the time, so an easy/low cost way to harass a guild and soften their defenses would be to destroy their supply towers. But, that wouldn't be a requirement. If you sustain a siege tent, defense bonus will eventually hit 0, regardless of their supply towers.

Philocypher

Nov 26, 2023
Siege windows are perhaps easier to implement?

I suppose they get us closer to the problem being solved but they're immersion-breaking and frankly lazy.

I still would love to see a proper siege mechanic.