Playable monster race poll

Do you want playable monster races? Like sators and rat men.

• Yes

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Comment

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • results

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
I wasn't thinking of this as a thing you go into character creation for. I thought of this as one of those starvault held events. I know Henrik wants to avoid the whole players interacting with staff in game dynamic but this could just be a for fun event where you're basically playing dress up with a temporary character skin. Or just have an NPC in an area on the map like how they had the arena at sausage lake in MO1 and you talk to that NPC and you get skinned as Sators or Ratmen while in the radius of the ring. If you don't want to PvP there could be a second location where you can roleplay.

But some of you make some interesting ways of implementing this as well.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

PuckInmortali

Nov 8, 2021
Think back to @Henrik Nyström 's love for UO and to UO in general, and you may remember that in Ultima Online there were whole guilds who decided to play 'as if' they were Orcs, occupying their homes, speakgig their language, adopting their politics & enemies, haunting their haunts, living the life. That's how Shadowclan got started.
  • That kind of play is appealing to a large minority of people.
  • The possibility of Thursar building faction with the Risar in Mortal Online 2 to the point where Thursar can stay in their forts and buy from their vendors, as Henrik outlines it, would be a step in this general direction.

I was in Shadowclan for a hot minute back in the days of Shadowbane. I always respected them because they played well, and they did so without the doodisms--they actually tried to fit into the game world, in their own way of course. Shadowclan made the game better, in that they made it more immersive. It seems like very few groups are interested in that type of thing anymore. Much more likely you'll see someone with the same name as an internet personality unabashedly proclaiming "ez clap", or worse, "Yo, kid, you're a f****t!"

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
I was in Shadowclan for a hot minute back in the days of Shadowbane. I always respected them because they played well, and they did so without the doodisms--they actually tried to fit into the game world, in their own way of course. Shadowclan made the game better, in that they made it more immersive. It seems like very few groups are interested in that type of thing anymore. Much more likely you'll see someone with the same name as an internet personality unabashedly proclaiming "ez clap", or worse, "Yo, kid, you're a f****t!"
Shadowclan were our neighbours in the Ekreth region of the desert on Mourning, and since we were an RP Irekei nation (first VirKhal, then Vra'ákar) ourselves, we got along with them, even though their dialect of Gradishar's Irekei language was a little funny to the ear & eye. Good times.

That kind of play is always optional, but some enjoy the challenge and the "distancing" it affords. Even with no RP, when you play a race of any kind where it's a given that you hate outsiders and you aren't welcome in some places, or have a Tribunal trying to cleanse you, you're spared many kinds of political jockeying. (And, after a while, no ARAC guilds really expect you to ally or nutcup with them.)

Reactions: PuckInmortali

PuckInmortali

Nov 8, 2021
Shadowclan were our neighbours in the Ekreth region of the desert on Mourning, and since we were an RP Irekei nation (first VirKhal, then Vra'ákar) ourselves, we got along with them, even though their dialect of Gradishar's Irekei language was a little funny to the ear & eye. Good times.

That kind of play is always optional, but some enjoy the challenge and the "distancing" it affords. Even with no RP, when you play a race of any kind where it's a given that you hate outsiders and you aren't welcome in some places, or have a Tribunal trying to cleanse you, you're spared many kinds of political jockeying. (And, after a while, no ARAC guilds really expect you to ally or nutcup with them.)

Yes, I agree. Could you imagine a group of players who used voice com only speaking their native, in character language? How cool would that be?

I believe that sadly Shadowclan, itself, is dead. Only a few of the flavorful and distinct, old guilds still exist (pre 2005). I know some were pinning their hopes on Crowfall, but that never really became what it could have been.

I am happy that I could to be a tiny part of that history, and I would like to see renaissance of that type of play. MO2 is almost a perfect game to return to that fascinating time, and frankly, I find it strange that there isn't more buzz among some of the old timers in anticipation of its release.

EDIT: Perhaps it is time for the rise of the orcs, once more. How about an all Thursar guild in alliance with the Risar?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Najwalaylah