Playable monster race poll

Do you want playable monster races? Like sators and rat men.

• Yes

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Comment

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • results

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I actually like how MO focuses on just four races that have meaningful differences instead of some MMOs that add 11 different races that have negligible differences. It just slows development by making it so they have to model special armor for every race

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
They do?
Okay.
Does it take *that* long?
@bbihah I am genuinely curious.

Well if you played Crowfall the reason why there's literally only one armor set for every race is due to there being 11 different races that look cute and quirky because their not humanoids but at the expense of any chance of wearable items

D

Dracu

Monsterplay was an awesome mode in Lotro. It would be cool if there is a zone with a few monster factions that fight each other and players can go there aswell. An optional mode that would give a more instant Action orientated mode. I think it would be amazing to give pvp players a mode where they can get pvp without to much hassle. It opens up Alot of options to make gameplay different. Even if its just a monster race in generell that is just acting like a pirate faction would in archeage.

I would love to see a „weaker“ pvp race that is permared and that is more based around loadouts. This would be great for invasion events. So you could form a group with other monsters and invade citys and stuff.

ALTernatively It could even be just a roguelike mode where a monster has insane skillgain but looses everything on death.

They cant craft/gather/build.
All they can do is use premade „vendor gear“ and are limited to it and only have access to combat tree. All combat trees are unlocked and just have to be trained quickly. So its a lil bit effort.

Of course the problem of teaming with normal players needs to be sorted in some way. But i think that wont be much of an issue to be honest. Maybe work with some debuffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Well if you played Crowfall the reason why there's literally only one armor set for every race is due to there being 11 different races that look cute and quirky because their not humanoids but at the expense of any chance of wearable items
That doesn't really answer my question about making an existing armour set 'special' for every race.

A notorious piece of the Khurite Lictor armour set in MO1 gave everyone who wore it the same hairy Khurite chest, but I don't expect that will re-occur. Also, that was in UE3, which I've heard wasn't as easy to work with as UE4.

Aside from that, if someone makes an armour set or piece in Mortal games, it doesn't have to be made in different sizes and shapes for Clade and Gender; the appearance for each different character model once dressed is remarkably similar. How much work are we talking about to make a robe or a pair of pants, etc., fit a different shape? (Keeping in mind that I think Rat and Toad avatars don't differ by gender.

But thanks for your words.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
That doesn't really answer my question about making an existing armour set 'special' for every race.

A notorious piece of the Khurite Lictor armour set in MO1 gave everyone who wore it the same hairy Khurite chest, but I don't expect that will re-occur. Also, that was in UE3, which I've heard wasn't as easy to work with as UE4.

Aside from that, if someone makes an armour set or piece in Mortal games, it doesn't have to be made in different sizes and shapes for Clade and Gender; the appearance for each different character model once dressed is remarkably similar. How much work are we talking about to make a robe or a pair of pants, etc., fit a different shape? (Keeping in mind that I think Rat and Toad avatars don't differ by gender.

But thanks for your words.

You really think those armor pieces would fit the same on a sator or rat man? I mean if SV did they'd revolutionze the industry so props to them

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
You really think those armor pieces would fit the same on a sator or rat man? I mean if SV did they'd revolutionze the industry so props to them
No; I'm asking questions, and you're assuming. Troll.

So unless you have any idea how Star Vault would make them fit, and how hard it would be, or how long it would take, that isn't more presumptuousness-- /plonk.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
They do?
Okay.
Does it take *that* long?
@bbihah I am genuinely curious.
How long it takes to rig armor to a new skeleton/model?

Depends. UE3 times? Individual riggings for each model, cant export using any normal tools. You could get 3rd party tools that support it so you can import models onto other skeletons but its a huge hassle compared to how it is now and the fact that it'd all have to get handled as individual entities. UE3 and games in general before or around ue3 times has that shortcoming.

How it is now? Heck, most if not all 3d modelling programs have all the nice rigging cool stuff that you'd have to pay extra with all the problems that come with importing and exporting between programs. Now you can do most if not everything with modelling tool + engine tool. If you have a armor that was built for being usable on different skeletons from the get go, and skeletons are in general made to work its barely even a dent in production time, if you are making a game with different but similar skeletons already you are saving loads of time having to only "measure twice cut once".

Heck, I think the newer UE/Unity/etc even have a rudimentary 3d modelling tool built in for integrating models onto skeletons, doing/editing rigging and animation.

If the models that starvault have made were made with equipment models being worn onto the skeleton, they could technically put any armor on any model they have, if it'll look good is just up to how different the skeleton proportions are. Minotaurs for example have very similar humanoid proportional skeletons to player models, wouldnt surprise me if they could at least use upper body models that apply to the "player" models with almost no work.

Its 100% a pre-plan issue, i'm almost 100% sure SV made most if not all of their models with easy application between skeletons already, due to the fact that we have similar but different models that all can wear the same stuff. I mean its generally just how stuff works now a days.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
No; I'm asking questions, and you're assuming. Troll.

So unless you have any idea how Star Vault would make them fit, and how hard it would be, or how long it would take, that isn't more presumptuousness-- /plonk.

I guess the questioning annoyed me a bit because I can't imagine how hard it is to believe that making it so a giant rat with a big tall and hunched back and giant sticking out mouth and ears would require a lot of special changes for armor sets to fit them and to be able to ride a mount or carry a torch or shield and so on. Like a whole new set of animations and modeling just so someone can play as a rat

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I guess the questioning annoyed me a bit because I can't imagine how hard it is to believe that making it so a giant rat with a big tall and hunched back and giant sticking out mouth and ears would require a lot of special changes for armor sets to fit them and to be able to ride a mount or carry a torch or shield and so on. Like a whole new set of animations and modeling just so someone can play as a rat
Depends how the model skeleton is rigged. Might not even require any work at all. We don't have that kind of information so impossible to tell.

The entire premise of having monsters as playable characters is something I don't like. But they could somehow pinch in something that's similar to LOTROs of PVM, or Skaven in age of reckoning. But the devil would be in the details of how that would actually play out though.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
OMG Thank you, @bbihah An asnwer at last, from the person I asked, who actually read the question.
How it is now? Heck, most if not all 3d modelling programs have all the nice rigging cool stuff that you'd have to pay extra with all the problems that come with importing and exporting between programs. Now you can do most if not everything with modelling tool + engine tool. If you have a armor that was built for being usable on different skeletons from the get go, and skeletons are in general made to work its barely even a dent in production time, if you are making a game with different but similar skeletons already you are saving loads of time having to only "measure twice cut once".

Heck, I think the newer UE/Unity/etc even have a rudimentary 3d modelling tool built in for integrating models onto skeletons, doing/editing rigging and animation.

If the models that starvault have made were made with equipment models being worn onto the skeleton, they could technically put any armor on any model they have, if it'll look good is just up to how different the skeleton proportions are.
I was thinking that Star Vault must have made some models with equipping them with stuff never worn by that model before in mind.
  • Ex. Bears, wearing bags.
  • Among the Stuff Henrik's Said, being able to ride Dire Wolves implies possibly being able to saddle them.
  • Etx.
Depends how the model skeleton is rigged. Might not even require any work at all. We don't have that kind of information so impossible to tell.

Thanks again. I'm tired of other guys premature conclusions on the subject, and you really came through for me.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Its just all about rigging really, and its just how models are made and the big baseline of support from all toolsets we have nowadays. So asking Henrik if doing this now as opposed to mo1 days he'd probably say its the difference between walking over a long bridge or swimming across.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Voted comment; we already have Thursar, Oghmir and Alvarin. Vote should be renamed to "Do you want more playable monster species?"
Edit: When saying species, I include Thursars only because of the rumour of their ability to procreate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

PuckInmortali

Nov 8, 2021
Well, they could beat WoW to the punch and put in walrus men. I am kidding of course, but the idea of playing a rat man skulking on the fringes of society is very appealing to me.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Totally see it as a nice hardcore mode if anything. But it'd be pretty hard to make sure its not abused.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
Well, they could beat WoW to the punch and put in walrus men. I am kidding of course, but the idea of playing a rat man skulking on the fringes of society is very appealing to me.
Think back to @Henrik Nyström 's love for UO and to UO in general, and you may remember that in Ultima Online there were whole guilds who decided to play 'as if' they were Orcs, occupying their homes, speakgig their language, adopting their politics & enemies, haunting their haunts, living the life. That's how Shadowclan got started.
  • That kind of play is appealing to a large minority of people.
  • The possibility of Thursar building faction with the Risar in Mortal Online 2 to the point where Thursar can stay in their forts and buy from their vendors, as Henrik outlines it, would be a step in this general direction.