Patch Notes 0.0.0.73 Discussion

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Source: https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/patch-notes-0-0-0-73.572/

Added:
  • Added Gaul'Kor city.
  • Added Gaul'Kor as a starting option.
  • Added world landscape around Gaul'Kor area.
  • Added first iteration of bandages
  • Added support for home priest, when alive you can use a priest to set it as your home, when dead you can decide to teleport back to your home priest.
  • Added simple currency widget to all items showing how much the item is worth when sold to a vendor in their tool-tips.
  • Added support for vendors.
  • Added a Material Vendor that hands out materials for crafting.
  • Added Bandages to the Material Vendor.
  • Added support for overriding right click tool-tip. When you have windows open the right click on items in the inventory can now override it's default behavior. This is currently added to vendors,trade and crafting. So if you want to add crafting materials simply right click the material to add it to the first empty slot.
  • Added support for trading with other players.
  • A few emotes have been added for initial testing. Type /emote in local chat to list them.
  • Added a VERY experimental DLSS support for NVidia cards that support this feature. Currently this will sometimes show a watermark on the screen we have checked with NVidia and they are OK with us using this DLL for the alpha test for testing purposes.
  • Added Poleswords to weapon crafting.

Changes:
  • Weapon crafting balance updates.
  • The player is now allowed to attack again directly after a successful hit, without waiting for the whole animation to finish.
  • Attacks now have four stages instead of three. Previously [charge, hold, release]. Now [charge, hold, release, recovery].
  • The player is now allowed to attack again when entering the recovery stage.
  • All weapon animations updated to support new melee combat setup, resulting in a slight change in feel.
  • Added longer blend times between attacks to improve fluidity.
  • Daggers no longer have handle Tracing.
  • Crafting buttons are now held until one item is created then released and held again for the next item.
  • Logout timers will now cancel upon taking damage.
  • Updated a bunch of tool-tips.
  • Splitting stacks are now a bit prettier.
  • Increased the high latency kick threshold.
  • Improved lighting setup in paperdoll.
  • Improved lighting in login screen to remove green tint.
  • Improved loading screen transitions.
  • Updated light intensity at night.
  • Cloud light intensity updated.
  • Updated the moon texture.
  • High quality models and textures are now forced in the crafting preview.
  • Stacking items now correctly add to the stack you drop on instead of the one your are holding.
  • Removed the swing animation turn slowdown, it's now just affected by the normal turn cap.

Fixes:
  • Fixed landscape "wires into the sky" that could sometimes be visible at certain angles.
  • Fixed lots of random landscape issues! (Please keep reporting them)
  • Crafting now more correctly decides what items goes into what slot.
  • Fixed a rare crash on the server.
  • Fixed a couple of rare client crash.
  • Enabled temporal anti-aliasing in paperdoll if it is enabled in settings.
  • Fixed wonky walking animations.
  • Players no longer occasionally sink into the ground after jumping.
  • Spear no longer attaches to a hip-harness instead of a torso-harness when naked.
  • Paperdoll no longer renders on begin play, reducing performance without being visible.
  • Meshes no longer flicker or disappear in the crafting window.
  • Weapon no longer stays in character creation after deleting the previous character.
  • Paperdoll no longer gets out of sync with the player appearance. (some parts would not show properly)
  • Hair no longer casts shadow while hidden under helmet in the paperdoll.
  • Animation now re-targets properly on females in resurrection sequence.
  • Cancel animation (when feinting) now plays at its proper speed. (it was previously too slow)
  • The idle sequence for first person is fixed again. It had regressed to the third person variant with too much camera sway.
  • Loading screen now covers the whole screen. (a thin border of the background was previously visible)
  • Game no longer crashes randomly when returning to main menu after logout.
  • Possible fix for issues with sound being set to 0 upon login.
  • Durability on items should now correctly update in the tool-tips.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Turn cap removal was good.

Combat feels worse now due to the new stages and the severely over tuned slowness of combat. I actually can't even play MO2 now without it feeling super jarring.

I assume GK will turn red again with the weather system, as right now it just looks weird in the sun shine.

Reactions: Teknique

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Turn cap removal was good.

Combat feels worse now due to the new stages and the severely over tuned slowness of combat. I actually can't even play MO2 now without it feeling super jarring.

I assume GK will turn red again with the weather system, as right now it just looks weird in the sun shine.
There's a little hang time right now when you release your swing that I think needs to go.

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Please make GK grim look again. There are also tons of visual and landscape bugs in it and I didn't even went outside.
Also, looking from the starting priest towards the city - am I the only one having FPS cut down by half?

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Please make GK grim look again. There are also tons of visual and landscape bugs in it and I didn't even went outside.
Also, looking from the starting priest towards the city - am I the only one having FPS cut down by half?
nah my fps is horrendous in GK, around 30fps from 90

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Made today my first fight since patch. Will be the last one until next patch. With a flanged mace. They're heavy and were already pre-patch not exactly the best choice for duels.
But now... Just wow. Complete trash. Parry takes now at least 2x as long as pre patch.
On top of that they are super hard to hit now. Decent charge speed, then stuck for ages in mid air, and then a super fast attack.

• Haha
Reactions: Teknique

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Yeah, all this basically did is make duels feel slow as fuck and the parrying for some reason now seems more unreliable.

Not to mention any kind of 1vX is now entirely impossible. Some of the worst players can now kill you if they just swarm you, you really have no chance of landing a full hit unless the person you hit just lets you or is at the start of their own swing and fully commit.

GK is.. okay, I guess? Probably going to look over everything sometime soon and make a thread on my thoughts of the patch and wait till the next one.

The consensus thus far is... not enjoyable.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I logged into GK, there were 10-12 people there (Euro prime time) and no one was fighting. That is pretty much all that needs to be said about this patch.

• Haha
Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I logged into GK, there were 10-12 people there (Euro prime time) and no one was fighting. That is pretty much all that needs to be said about this patch.
Indeed. Now do as I did and go watch the very first videos of MO2 Alpha and watch one of the last and see the vast changes to it.

To note after first patch, there where almost no complaints. Now theres a plethora of complaints about the same things.
Funny how alike this and MO development are going the same direction.

Persistent release is 2 months away, who think we are ahead or behind schedule ?
Personally I sadly have to say I think we are further away from pers release now than the beginning.

Reactions: Rorry

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Indeed. Now do as I did and go watch the very first videos of MO2 Alpha and watch one of the last and see the vast changes to it.

To note after first patch, there where almost no complaints. Now theres a plethora of complaints about the same things.
Funny how alike this and MO development are going the same direction.

Persistent release is 2 months away, who think we are ahead or behind schedule ?
Personally I sadly have to say I think we are further away from pers release now than the beginning.

I don´t think the level of polish will determine persistent launch but rather how feature complete the game is. Early versions looked mostly like parry trading which I don´t think is fun gameplay.

That being said I think the swing speeds are too slow for a certain set of weapons. The fastest weapons seem to be okay - and should not be faster. Otherwise we return to high ping players being unable to parry a riposte.

The problem remains that playing defensive with the occational swing/parry is still vastly superior to any form of aggressive attacking.

We need those "special" moves that are supposed to balance this asap. It is kinda pointless to balance melee when a key component (being able to overcome a defensive playstyle) is still missing.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I don´t think the level of polish will determine persistent launch but rather how feature complete the game is. Early versions looked mostly like parry trading which I don´t think is fun gameplay.

That being said I think the swing speeds are too slow for a certain set of weapons. The fastest weapons seem to be okay - and should not be faster. Otherwise we return to high ping players being unable to parry a riposte.

The problem remains that playing defensive with the occational swing/parry is still vastly superior to any form of aggressive attacking.

We need those "special" moves that are supposed to balance this asap. It is kinda pointless to balance melee when a key component (being able to overcome a defensive playstyle) is still missing.
True enough, though I would not say we need special moves to achieve balance. There are ways to limit defensive play and promote more aggressive play, you can for one reduce blocking arc to be more realistic instead of overly artificial like now.
By doing so the better trained you are the more reliable parrying you will gain.

But ofc this is looked down upon by a big part of the community since it promotes training and player skill but excused as prediction abuse since the most effective way to hit through blocks was zig zagging to gain an opening to hit the back of an enemy.
The problem here is that on said enemies screen at time of impact his back is not turned to the attacker.

I fear special moves is gonna further imbalance the game rather than balance it.

Reactions: Rorry

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
True enough, though I would not say we need special moves to achieve balance. There are ways to limit defensive play and promote more aggressive play, you can for one reduce blocking arc to be more realistic instead of overly artificial like now.
By doing so the better trained you are the more reliable parrying you will gain.

But ofc this is looked down upon by a big part of the community since it promotes training and player skill but excused as prediction abuse since the most effective way to hit through blocks was zig zagging to gain an opening to hit the back of an enemy.
The problem here is that on said enemies screen at time of impact his back is not turned to the attacker.

I fear special moves is gonna further imbalance the game rather than balance it.

Your analysis is correct. I would add that the faster swing speeds made it impossible to parry all hits with a high ping in a statue match. There is no way around that had to go.

I think the arc could go slightly smaller still. I mean it´s basically a fine tuning thing where you have to adjust it to the point where it feels good. The problem goes beyond that though. Since the prediction in MO2 is more reliable zigzagging does not yield the same results. You have spend much more stamina to archive the same result (back hit) currently. That means an aggressive playstyle is worse compared to MO1 just because prediction got better.

That´s why I feel there needs to be something else to do to overcome a very defensive player. Thinking back to what we had in MO1 I share your worries though. That´s why it´s important we get those special moves into the game now rather than shortly before launch. They could very well break or make the melee game.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Your analysis is correct. I would add that the faster swing speeds made it impossible to parry all hits with a high ping in a statue match. There is no way around that had to go.

I think the arc could go slightly smaller still. I mean it´s basically a fine tuning thing where you have to adjust it to the point where it feels good. The problem goes beyond that though. Since the prediction in MO2 is more reliable zigzagging does not yield the same results. You have spend much more stamina to archive the same result (back hit) currently. That means an aggressive playstyle is worse compared to MO1 just because prediction got better.

That´s why I feel there needs to be something else to do to overcome a very defensive player. Thinking back to what we had in MO1 I share your worries though. That´s why it´s important we get those special moves into the game now rather than shortly before launch. They could very well break or make the melee game.
Im just saying I have seen so many openings in duels if blocking arcs where realistic and not artificially alot bigger than reality and neccessity.
Those openings would mean very much in a 1vX situation for example.
Either way theres no way to find out since we have not had small blocking arcs in MO2 and probably never will.

Zigzagging was not the best way in MO because prediction was bad but because block arcs used to be tiny and combat used to be fast paced. After block arcs widened and combat was turned slow the game became parry whore online and zigzagging was nowhere near as good as it was in early MO.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i think MO2 is heading in a good direction.
its important to balance the combat more in favour of tactic, movement etc. instead of speed which favours a physically near location to the server and genetically hard coded reaction times. speed should matter in the last instance (parry after parry) so a slower combat is desirable.

setting the parry dmg from 0 to the blocked dmg would encourage the first hit and a more lively combat where the end of the rabbit hole is not the fastest weapon/ping but gear choice and playstyle overall.
it would also "buff" heavy weapons, combat movement, stamina management... instead of raw dedicated server skill.

Reactions: Zbuciorn