Overhead chat

Gravballe

May 28, 2020
So onething that always bother me in 3d mmo games, is it seems "empty" when people are talking/texting and you only see it in the text box. THe old one had overhead text or something or am i recalling wrong?

Would it be possible to show something overhead when people are talking voip or writing text in the chat?

Reactions: Grudge Bringer

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
The issue with this in a PvP game where there are no overhead markers by default on players, is that should someone be trying to be not noticed or hiding somewhere, if they talk and suddenly a marker appears above their head this is going to make them much more noticeable.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Would it be possible to show something overhead when people are talking voip or writing text in the chat?
I have to ask: Do you mean over their heads, or only 'at the top of your screen'?
THe old one had overhead text or something or am i recalling wrong?
You recall correctly.
There was an option to show local chat in rectangular talk bubbles with a vaguely directional 'origin' pointer
In this approximate size,
speech balloon.png
and by default on a partly transparent dark background in lighter text, in a text size not really bigger than that in the chatbox.

Unless someone was right in front of you already, the speech balloon would not show up right over his head.

I don't recall that there was any indication in the balloon of who said what. That info might have been confined to the chat box (where it probably belongs).

Gravballe

May 28, 2020
I have to ask: Do you mean over their heads, or only 'at the top of your screen'?
You recall correctly.
There was an option to show local chat in rectangular talk bubbles with a vaguely directional 'origin' pointer
In this approximate size,
View attachment 2975
and by default on a partly transparent dark background in lighter text, in a text size not really bigger than that in the chatbox.

Unless someone was right in front of you already, the speech balloon would not show up right over his head.

I don't recall that there was any indication in the balloon of who said what. That info might have been confined to the chat box (where it probably belongs).
over their head inworld.

yes i know you could not read it easly, but it made it clear when someone was trying to talk to you, or who was talking. You just read the text in the chatbox still. I always feel it look odd when people are talking but you dont see anything unless you look in the chat log. It makes it unclear when someone is trying to get youre attention. so yes i would like there to be somekind of indication that someone is talking either over voip or text.

D

Dracu

Something indicating on the HP bar would be usefull. So atleast when you target somebody you get the indicator. Wheb somebody is typing something for exmaple. Cant remember how often ppl seemed afk or trying to log off when they were actually typing. Pretty annoying when you try to rob somebody, in the end you kill them because you dont know what they are doing.

Erwinicus

Mar 22, 2021
The issue with this in a PvP game where there are no overhead markers by default on players, is that should someone be trying to be not noticed or hiding somewhere, if they talk and suddenly a marker appears above their head this is going to make them much more noticeable.
Well the solution to that problem would be to be quiet if you're hiding, just like you would be on voip, or in real life.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
My suspicion is that being not on VOIP will not be viable if you want to play the game seriously. Is just too common that someone will come up and start talking to you on VOIP and if you're just not listening/responding, they will leave, kill you etc etc. It's a huge handicap.

Most people are on private discord servers/chat for direct chat they want to do outside the game world.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
So onething that always bother me in 3d mmo games, is it seems "empty" when people are talking/texting and you only see it in the text box. THe old one had overhead text or something or am i recalling wrong?

The entire chat system is slated to be improved, and needs to be.

I think Chat Bubbles are nice, but dated. This could be easily solved by adding just a small:

\/
type symbol when someone is speaking with VOIP, OR, typing. Just the dots insinuating activity.

If players want to abuse this symbol as an opportunity to attack, well. Reputation spreads quickly, and that is pretty scummy.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
The current method of chatter popping up center screen is obnoxious. I didn't mind the chat bubbles of MO1, allowed to gauge who was speaking pretty quick. There should be multiple option in how you want to see txt chat. If you want a chat bubble, it to pop up center screen, to show in the chat box etc