Nightvision Clade Gifts Need Improvement

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
1614913393781.png

Good thing I had Nightvision. I almost didn't see that very sneaky Risar!

All sarcasm aside, the current iteration of nightvision is very lackluster. The radius increase at night doesn't seem to be appreciably different from anyone that I have collected feedback from. The complete failure of it to function at all in dungeons is a major disappointment. I get that it's a very minor clade gift, but it does not feel valuable and if I could go around it to get to other things I would not even take it.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
You know that it a buff you need to activate, right?
Even through this should be a passive. I hate it that there are so many clade gifts that need to be activated.

Reactions: Xunila

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
You know that it a buff you need to activate, right?
Even through this should be a passive. I hate it that there are so many clade gifts that need to be activated.
It's kinda beside the point. Night lasts like...40? 45? minutes. You'll be in Risar dungeon for a hot minute too.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Yeah, I was really hoping for some kind of vision effect that made dark areas appear light for nightvision. And it should be passive. Like not modern nightvision goggles but a more magical seeming thing where like the entire world is clearly visible and perhaps tinted more blue at night.

I took that gift while running around in the world though and it seemed to make everything slightly brighter the moment I put the point in. I also didn't seem to be getting Blackwall while the humans I was running with were.

In either case, it has me feeling like even nightvision I should adjust my gamma settings to see more clearly (And they are fairly good already). Just make it a fully passive vision adjustment that makes it easy for a normal person with normal gamma settings to see in darkness.

Reactions: Grasthard

Hexebus

Sep 14, 2020
I also agree that Nightvision should be improved or potentially nights becoming less dark in the far distances. My only problem I have with the current night's is that even with night vision I feel extremely limited to the amount of content I can do in the game. If I am currently in a dense forest or even the jungle all sense of exploration really comes to a halt as I can't even see if I'm getting close to say a bush pig or spingbok. I'd feel they completely see me before I even see them and can no longer hunt. Now If I am in a plains area the night vision seems more bearable, It's the dense area's that seem to halt me from even playing the game entirely.

I'm all for an immersive feel in the dark but I'd rather be able to play the game to an extent than to feel like I have to find the nearest town and stay for the night.

A big example for me would be if I only have a few hours to log on before I need to go and its night time out, currently it is extremely difficult to do any type of hunting or exploring and knowing where I actually am without being totally lost. Or if I had to log out in one of the forests, log back in its night time not sure what I can do in its current state.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
It's kinda beside the point. Night lasts like...40? 45? minutes. You'll be in Risar dungeon for a hot minute too.
I think you got me wrong. It was rather a question. Did you activate it during your screenshot? Or did you think it's a passive and you didn't activate it and it's basically a screenshot without the clade gift?

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I think you got me wrong. It was rather a question. Did you activate it during your screenshot? Or did you think it's a passive and you didn't activate it and it's basically a screenshot without the clade gift?
It literally doesn't work that way. You can't drag it from your clade gift panel onto your toolbar. So whatever point you are trying to make...is kinda lost here. You have an Alvarin? or an Oghmir? Log in and post me a screenshot.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i think this is the solution:
remove night vision which is hard to implement and unfair for others.
add instead a Thermal Image claid which has a short use time so you can use it to only to spy out the location for a short amount of time without having an impact in combat situations or any other world interactions which are requiring light spells or lamps on hips.

Last edited:

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Personally I am all for a nightvision passive that works (unlike the current near useless passive) AND for light spells and off-hand torches.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I don't feel nightvision is unfair. I'm very undecided on what build I will finally go with but there is a strong chance it will be human. Humans have -50% damage to and from guildies(non-stacking but still good), great attribute totals, can wear more armor with less mana penalty etc. Kallards and other non-trash subraces of human (So not Khurites) are in a great spot right now.

Thursar HP regen and steal gifts seem to currently be a joke but if they were made meaningful they would be SUPER good.

I don't mind seeing Ohgmir and Alvarin get nightvision as a bonus and having it actually be good as long as Thursar get an appropriate buff to their healthsteal to compensate.

Reactions: Xunila and Rhias

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Personally I am all for a nightvision passive that works (unlike the current near useless passive) AND for light spells and off-hand torches.
the thing is the nights will always be dark even with night vision and when they make night vision OP then its just very unfair and i wont enjoy playing alvarien when i feel like a cheater, also i want to experience dark nights when they get the gamma nerf. this is what i mean with hard to balance.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
the thing is the nights will always be dark even with night vision and when they make night vision OP then its just very unfair and i wont enjoy playing alvarien when i feel like a cheater, also i want to experience dark nights when they get the gamma nerf. this is what i mean with hard to balance.

Would you feel differently if Thursars had their clade gifts buffed and it was made so light sources extend blackwall a bit / can be hung at your waist rather than taking up a hand slot but always lost dura slowly while providing light?

I know I would still still see a lot of value in every clade if that is how things worked.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
@Rhias I hope you aren't confusing Sense Entities with Nightvision.

Probably I am. I heared Henrik talking about it on the stream. But maybe he was talking about "Sense Entities" and not about Night Vision.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Probably I am. I heared Henrik talking about it on the stream. But maybe he was talking about "Sense Entities" and not about Night Vision.
This one is kinda lackluster too, to be honest. It lasts for 9ish seconds and lets you see x-ray vision for a short distance. But it -does- at least have some tactical use for mages.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I could see that being insanely useful in the right contextt. Like if you're out on the steppe that's an entirely useless activated ability but if you're in the jungle or an urban environment and you hear someone without seeing them, it could give you a major leg up.

Reactions: bbihah

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
20210303183158_1.jpg20210303183206_1.jpg

First screen is without, the second is with the Alvarin night sight clade gift.

It does not seem to have ANY effect in dungeons however. Which is a shame especially considering Sheevra are cave dwellers, adapted to low-light conditions.

a.out

May 28, 2020
lol looks virtually identical
It clearly does not. Pay attention to the upper left area of the pictures. You can also see a significant difference in the center. That feat needs work, for sure, - especially in dungeons, but they do have a few months to go for release.