New Player Experience

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
Hi everyone. I gotta say before I get more into this thread that I really enjoy the game most of the time. However I think in the week I roamed this games' world I found some problems that need to be adressed.
1.) The game fails to explain itself to new players: The melee-combat and basic mining/crafting tutorial is good and helps you get startet but it really feels unfinished. The game doesn't explain the complicated stuff like Alchemy at all, it doesn't introduce the world to you and basically just spawns you in. Look at the help-chat and you see new players asking the same basic questions every day because the game doesn't bother to explain much to them,
2.) Mobs: Wolves/Panthers spot you from miles away, through trees and hills and they ARE faster than you. I don't have a problem with the speed of naturally fast animals but I think Its a little unfair that (almost) every hostile animal is a) faster than you and b) spots you when they clearly shouldn't be able to. It makes exploration kinda monotonous since your plan for every hostile animal is the same: Stay on your horse and cheese them with MA/MM.
3.) Bugs(!): I know this game is kinda early access but come on. Lootbags falling through the ground, Game crashing to the title screen (which sometimes leads to death), the brokers sometimes just don't work, enemies attacking you through the floor and the inability to draw your weapon and block/attack after casting a spell. (these are the bugs I have experienced and since Im a beginner Im sure there's more to find)
4.) Balance: First of all clade gifts: I can't talk about overall balance since Im not experienced enough but one thing I know: You need some of those clade gifts to stand a chance in PvP. So why does it take so long to level them? As long as my Alvarin mage couldn't outrun anyone he was basically useless. So I had to farm Zombies for quite a while ( between 2000 and 3000 zombies, great fun)
Then there is the problem with skill balance. Some builds seem really, really useless in an Open world PvP setting while others seem to have all the tools they could wish for. MA can do every aspect of PvE and PvP while most other "classes" cannot.
5.) Big guilds: Ganging up just makes the game incredibly easy. There is no dungeon that can challenge a whole zerg and that means farming high-tier items is way too easy for big guilds in my opinion.
6.) Duping and cheating: Its just a no-go in a full-loot game. Being killed and looted by a cheater just isn't acceptable. Some people freeze their HP-Bars, some are speed-hacking and it's just hurting the game a lot i think.

I really want this game to succeed since it has so many great aspects to it. The overall skill-system is great and detailed, the crafting stuff is great, the world is beautiful and PvP can actually be a lot of fun even if I get killed or ganked. I am an easy target as a new player and I do not have any problems with that. It's just when you die because of bugs/exploits/cheats or when you are totally helpless because some classes are just "better at everything" it gets frustrating.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I wouldn't really expect any balancing, never happened in the last two years or so of beta/release. Except for balancing crafting perks, god forbid someone gets extra crafting bonuses. But yeah MA, basically the master class, everything else is subpar

• Haha
Reactions: Deleted member 44

manure

May 7, 2022
Hi everyone. I gotta say before I get more into this thread that I really enjoy the game most of the time. However I think in the week I roamed this games' world I found some problems that need to be adressed.
1.) The game fails to explain itself to new players: The melee-combat and basic mining/crafting tutorial is good and helps you get startet but it really feels unfinished. The game doesn't explain the complicated stuff like Alchemy at all, it doesn't introduce the world to you and basically just spawns you in. Look at the help-chat and you see new players asking the same basic questions every day because the game doesn't bother to explain much to them,
2.) Mobs: Wolves/Panthers spot you from miles away, through trees and hills and they ARE faster than you. I don't have a problem with the speed of naturally fast animals but I think Its a little unfair that (almost) every hostile animal is a) faster than you and b) spots you when they clearly shouldn't be able to. It makes exploration kinda monotonous since your plan for every hostile animal is the same: Stay on your horse and cheese them with MA/MM.
3.) Bugs(!): I know this game is kinda early access but come on. Lootbags falling through the ground, Game crashing to the title screen (which sometimes leads to death), the brokers sometimes just don't work, enemies attacking you through the floor and the inability to draw your weapon and block/attack after casting a spell. (these are the bugs I have experienced and since Im a beginner Im sure there's more to find)
4.) Balance: First of all clade gifts: I can't talk about overall balance since Im not experienced enough but one thing I know: You need some of those clade gifts to stand a chance in PvP. So why does it take so long to level them? As long as my Alvarin mage couldn't outrun anyone he was basically useless. So I had to farm Zombies for quite a while ( between 2000 and 3000 zombies, great fun)
Then there is the problem with skill balance. Some builds seem really, really useless in an Open world PvP setting while others seem to have all the tools they could wish for. MA can do every aspect of PvE and PvP while most other "classes" cannot.
5.) Big guilds: Ganging up just makes the game incredibly easy. There is no dungeon that can challenge a whole zerg and that means farming high-tier items is way too easy for big guilds in my opinion.
6.) Duping and cheating: Its just a no-go in a full-loot game. Being killed and looted by a cheater just isn't acceptable. Some people freeze their HP-Bars, some are speed-hacking and it's just hurting the game a lot i think.

I really want this game to succeed since it has so many great aspects to it. The overall skill-system is great and detailed, the crafting stuff is great, the world is beautiful and PvP can actually be a lot of fun even if I get killed or ganked. I am an easy target as a new player and I do not have any problems with that. It's just when you die because of bugs/exploits/cheats or when you are totally helpless because some classes are just "better at everything" it gets frustrating.

My friend... Even noticing that you, for sure, are just pretending that you re a Newbie... I am with you.
The game was good before, and they need to do something real quick to save it.

I suggest bringing back february rules... and after that, working on siege and thieving systems.

Oh, and before I forget... Erase 90% of the guards and erase the /guard command as well. This isnt WoW, for god sake.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaquenqos

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
My friend... Even noticing that you, for sure, are just pretending that you re a Newbie... I am with you.

I suggest bringing back february rules... and after that, working on siege and thieving systems.

Oh, and before I forget... Erase 90% of the guards and erase the /guard command as well. This isnt WoW, for god sake.
Uhhhmmm I really am new to this game. Never played MO1, installed this game a week ago when it was on sale. But I actually agree on the guards. There should be guards guarding the cities but the city-guards shouldn't walk around castles and houses outside of the city like they do in Meduli. Seems to be really unfair if siege drops.

manure

May 7, 2022
Uhhhmmm I really am new to this game. Never played MO1, installed this game a week ago when it was on sale. But I actually agree on the guards. There should be guards guarding the cities but the city-guards shouldn't walk around castles and houses outside of the city like they do in Meduli. Seems to be really unfair if siege drops.

Well..Ok.
Lets pray and cross fingers for the Devs to fix this game ! There are no other options in the market.
Every game out there is a candy land with absolutely no risk.
Maybe one exception is Eve Online...but thats not a medieval theme, so... doesnt count !!!

By the way...I will never understand why people buy an online MMO to play against the computer and be safe from other players... There should be absolutely no protection or safe areas on any of these games.... obviously there has to be guards only inside bank area.
Anyway... back to MO2 :

Hey Devs... Please fix your crap !

Reactions: Rahz

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022

amen, that's the fast track to the glory days of MO1 and its massive populations that far exceeded anything we see in MO2...

Wait a second...!

Seriously though, the game does need much better systems regarding PvP, but thinking that making it an absolute free-for-all is what will appeal to a larger-audience is delusional. MO2 featuring full-loot PvP does not mean there should be absolutely no mechanics governing PvP. For example, Albion Online boasts a stable population in the 10-6k range that MO2 should be aiming for as its first landmark (since it's reasonable for the style of game, and we already know that the game can appeal to at least that many simultaneous players), and it didn't get there by making the game complete grief-topia free-for-all 'omg imagine being mad that i walked up to you as a blue, said hi, and then pk'd you after you turned around IN A PVP GAME lol', it did so by delineating the groundwork for PvP in a sensible sandbox manner.

So, the problem isn't that they tried to put in limits to how PvP should take place, the problem is that they put in limits that are easily exploited, easily skirted, and, if you fail to take care to exploit or skirt them, have consequences that just serve to make the game more tedious & PvP occur less frequently for everyone...

It's not a bad idea, it's just terribly executed... Hey, that could be MO's slogan...!

I think there is a popular conception in a certain hardcore facet of MO's fanbase that assume that less is always more, and therefore less rules will always be better. I don't think that's really the case in game design, as it is never true if we look at all of the best sandbox games. Sandbox games often host some of the most complex game mechanics of any style of video game. The developer needs to create a world that makes sense, and has rules that make sense, even if it is a sandbox game that wants to ultimately give the player freedom of choice.

Last edited:

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
so, about zombies, they were alright before, but they nerfed them to the ground...
The issue is that some people spent the first few days of wipe getting their clade levels up on Haven on zombies with no effort, getting level 14-15 clade in a few hours with literally no effort, while others would have to kill unironically thousands upon thousands of them which is inconcievable.

The way to get clade now is from Bandits and Risars, there is no other way. Good luck.