New Logout System Unacceptable

Piet

May 28, 2020
Literally just have to place a camp to log out so you can't really do it in combat. None issue.... except for combat loggers.

Reactions: Valoran

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Literally just have to place a camp to log out so you can't really do it in combat. None issue.... except for combat loggers.
Except we dont know the fine print. How long does it take to make a camp, what does it need, ect. If its super ez to make a camp then there was no reason to add the 30 min thing and they could have just made it a 5 min logout timer like a lot of us want. And if its annoying to make a camp then its still a bad change because we would all be better with a 5 min logout timer instead. So theres very few cases where a camp is better.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I am not sure why they are trying to make this into a survival game when it is supposed to be an MMO.
Survival games suck in the long term, they are only interesting for a few days. This is supposed to last us for another 10 years.
I don't see how the logout system is related to survival games? I haven't played them much, but I'm assuming most of them have logout mechanics like this?
The new logout system is unacceptable. Being able to get killed after you are logged out is pretty much one of the worst systems an mmo can have. I dont put time into making gear and roaming so I can be killed while my character is waiting to log out when I can't fight back. Staying logged in after logging out was my least fav feature about games like Conan Exiles, which I quit paying extremely quickly. In MO2 its only for 30 mins luckily, but thats still enough to risk dying offline, which just shouldn't be a risk at all.

All this change will do is kill roaming. The world is too big so I'm going to want to log out and not ride back to town if I don't have a need to ride back. But I'm not going to want to risk dying when a random person finds me logged out in the 30 mins before I disappear, which will happen more often if the player base is good. Theres no benefit to this system besides making people like me not want to play because I'm just going to die logged out.

My counter proposal. Just make it a 5-10 min logout timer in the wild. But once you log, your logged out. This will kill combat logging. Also make it so boulders are dropped to the ground / you cant logout with them.

New Dungeon logout system is fine.
This is all assuming things work they way you imagine them to. Im fairly sure we won't have to worry about being killed while logging out unless you literally just have to go and log out somewhere random. We have to wait and see how easy camps are to set up. It will also give more purpose to guild houses and Inns. Maybe I just have a different perspective...but I can see it being good for the game as long as more is added to it (which I assume will).

As far as people saying "just make it this way around dungeons". I thought that initially....then I realized I don't want to have to rely on Star Vault to determine what is considered a dungeon or hotspot to implement the logout timers. We will see...

Edit: I will admit I'm biased right now because I'm not playing so the current issue doesn't effect me. I'm more looking at the end result. However, you would think they would have implemented at least some basic form of a camp with these changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teknique

Tzone

May 16, 2021
You can not place camps tho, they are not ingame. There for it is a issue for everyone right now. Also if they did have camps how much time will it take to make one or the cost which could be burdensome and effect non combat loggers.

Piet

May 28, 2020
You can not place camps tho, they are not ingame. There for it is a issue for everyone right now. Also if they did have camps how much time will it take to make one or the cost which could be burdensome and effect non combat loggers.
Who cares. It's beta not release. we will see how burdensome they actually are when they are here.

Piet

May 28, 2020
Except we dont know the fine print. How long does it take to make a camp, what does it need, ect. If its super ez to make a camp then there was no reason to add the 30 min thing and they could have just made it a 5 min logout timer like a lot of us want. And if its annoying to make a camp then its still a bad change because we would all be better with a 5 min logout timer instead. So theres very few cases where a camp is better.
I disagree but we will have to see when camp is out

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I never log out of cities. I don't play red and so I am not familiar with these issues. All I know is that it is a beta, it needs testing, and the for the sake of their development schedule they decided to do it in this order without the camps. I understand the issues it solves from MO1, and some of the issues it brings right now. It sucks for some players. The ephasys being "right now" until we get the camps, which I hope is shortly. And I agree 30 mins is too long. 10 mins would be long enough IMO.

As for the "what if something happens in real life and I have to lose everything in game?" 1) you lose your inventory, in game banks exist. 2) Are you seriously having second thoughts about real life or ingame priorities? It's just a game. Losing a cronite weapon is hardly a big deal compared to any real life issue.

Yes, a shorter in game offline time would be good, especially now without camps, but it's not the end of the world.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I never log out of cities. I don't play red and so I am not familiar with these issues. All I know is that it is a beta, it needs testing, and the for the sake of their development schedule they decided to do it in this order without the camps. I understand the issues it solves from MO1, and some of the issues it brings right now. It sucks for some players. The ephasys being "right now" until we get the camps, which I hope is shortly. And I agree 30 mins is too long. 10 mins would be long enough IMO.

As for the "what if something happens in real life and I have to lose everything in game?" 1) you lose your inventory, in game banks exist. 2) Are you seriously having second thoughts about real life or ingame priorities? It's just a game. Losing a cronite weapon is hardly a big deal compared to any real life issue.

Yes, a shorter in game offline time would be good, especially now without camps, but it's not the end of the world.
The issue is all about time, everything in game is traded for time, whether you make it yourself or trade for it, it represents a chunk of time. It's the factor in the risk vs reward calculation that a player has to figure before talking any action. Right now in the beta everything is super quick/safe mode but when the game is live and full of people the risk in playing away from town will outweigh the reward for anyone who can't be sure of 2 hours of uninterrupted playing time.
Earlier, Henrik said that with camps our characters would only stay in game 5 minutes after we logout, 5 minutes when you and your horse are just a free loot piñata.
I am damn sure not only thinking of right now.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I don't see how the logout system is related to survival games? I haven't played them much, but I'm assuming most of them have logout mechanics like this?

This is all assuming things work they way you imagine them to. Im fairly sure we won't have to worry about being killed while logging out unless you literally just have to go and log out somewhere random. We have to wait and see how easy camps are to set up. It will also give more purpose to guild houses and Inns. Maybe I just have a different perspective...but I can see it being good for the game as long as more is added to it (which I assume will).

As far as people saying "just make it this way around dungeons". I thought that initially....then I realized I don't want to have to rely on Star Vault to determine what is considered a dungeon or hotspot to implement the logout timers. We will see...

Edit: I will admit I'm biased right now because I'm not playing so the current issue doesn't effect me. I'm more looking at the end result. However, you would think they would have implemented at least some basic form of a camp with these changes.
Having your character stay in game after you log out is a system directly from casual survival games, games designed for people to play just to pass the time, they are wiped every so often, and gathering, building, and siegeing are very easy. Progression is handled very differently, and there is no living, persistent world. In short, nothing, including loss matters very much. Things like crafting and combat are dumbed down. So now we are getting more and more elements from that genre into MO2.
For example, the reserve system is now punishing like the eating system in a survival game, logout is, gaining exp levels is, the slowed/dumbed down combat is, fewer pieces of armor is, teleport home is, and coming soon body temperature is like a survival game. Probably there is more.

Reactions: Eldrath

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
The new logout system is unacceptable. Being able to get killed after you are logged out is pretty much one of the worst systems an mmo can have. I dont put time into making gear and roaming so I can be killed while my character is waiting to log out when I can't fight back. Staying logged in after logging out was my least fav feature about games like Conan Exiles, which I quit paying extremely quickly. In MO2 its only for 30 mins luckily, but thats still enough to risk dying offline, which just shouldn't be a risk at all.

All this change will do is kill roaming. The world is too big so I'm going to want to log out and not ride back to town if I don't have a need to ride back. But I'm not going to want to risk dying when a random person finds me logged out in the 30 mins before I disappear, which will happen more often if the player base is good. Theres no benefit to this system besides making people like me not want to play because I'm just going to die logged out.

My counter proposal. Just make it a 5-10 min logout timer in the wild. But once you log, your logged out. This will kill combat logging. Also make it so boulders are dropped to the ground / you cant logout with them.

New Dungeon logout system is fine.

agree. in fact, this change won't affect combat loggers much (even 1 min is enough to kill off someone logging out in the middle of combat), but will affect people with not a lot of time to play continuosly over the day.

5-10 minutes timer seems more than enough for me as well

Reactions: Xunila and Rorry

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Who cares. It's beta not release. we will see how burdensome they actually are when they are here.
I see a entire thread of people who care. You were absolutely wrong about camps and are just doubling down.
Beta is not a excuse for this situation. Beta is a excuse for technical issues, bad balancing, lack of content, and some mistakes.

This was beyond a mistake, it was a conscious decision to implement mechanics that hurt a lot of the aspects of the game to fix a few minor game design issues. It should have been delayed untill camps were ready which Henrik said they were not ready yet on discord.

Testing a systems as harsh as this logout system with out the mechanic to remove the penalties is just bad development. They are just punishing the testers for testing. Might as well removed the x100 exp since its just beta who cares.

Yeah its beta and as beta testers we are supposed to give our feedback and as feedback this decision was GARBARGE and POINTLESS for testing. Welcome to being a beta tester. Each patch makes the game worse and harder to find a reason to play which is supposed to be the opposite of what occurs in beta. I wrote all of this even though you are acting in bad faith and have no intention to actually discuss this issue, because people like you always making excuses for bad development are part of the problem that needs to be solved for this game to be great.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
One thing I dont understand. They want remove Ninja siege because people get blowup will they are offline... But they want us to get kill offline will loggin off.... Strange.

Another thing... when they gonna add these campfire... all you have to do is roam around looking for campfire... when you find one you look if someone is loggin off... Oh someone is sleeping there in Oghy ! Free loot ... that kinda cringe.

Its not that im 100% against this system but... it sound very bad on papper.

Reactions: Albano Dravae

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Another thing... when they gonna add these campfire... all you have to do is roam around looking for campfire... when you find one you look if someone is loggin off... Oh someone is sleeping there in Oghy ! Free loot ... that kinda cringe.
A concern of mine too, but I think the campfires are planned to disappear when you log off. But then the other issue is that people who dont own the campfires will have trouble using the campfire. So campfires could be a solo thing that every player makes.

Arfy

Nov 28, 2020
Australia
From reading all these posts it seems most are in agreement with the dungeon ect system the issue is the 30 minute logout .
and most seem to somewhat agree with the camp concept .
So that leaves sv to come up with an option other than the 30 minutes afk log out .
Im kinda leaning towards a 5 minute logout timer while in game until the camps can be implemented .
once the camps are implemented we can then complain or cheer about them .

My take on the camps is it will probably have no cost it will just be something to do while a timer counts down .

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
From reading all these posts it seems most are in agreement with the dungeon ect system the issue is the 30 minute logout .
and most seem to somewhat agree with the camp concept .
So that leaves sv to come up with an option other than the 30 minutes afk log out .
Im kinda leaning towards a 5 minute logout timer while in game until the camps can be implemented .
once the camps are implemented we can then complain or cheer about them .

My take on the camps is it will probably have no cost it will just be something to do while a timer counts down .
I think SV has said that camps will be placeable and that your character will stay in game for five minutes after your game closes.
That was in a stream a little while ago so, they aren't always clear on details in those.

Arfy

Nov 28, 2020
Australia
I think SV has said that camps will be placeable and that your character will stay in game for five minutes after your game closes.
That was in a stream a little while ago so, they aren't always clear on details in those.
I really hope they dont have the character ingame after log out , a prolonged logout system would come in line
more with the games skill based motto .so while going through the logout process if you are discovered you
have the option to fight or run and then restart the logout process again . Leaving the character in game becomes
a dice roll that nobody enjoys .