New Logout System Unacceptable

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
The new logout system is unacceptable. Being able to get killed after you are logged out is pretty much one of the worst systems an mmo can have. I dont put time into making gear and roaming so I can be killed while my character is waiting to log out when I can't fight back. Staying logged in after logging out was my least fav feature about games like Conan Exiles, which I quit paying extremely quickly. In MO2 its only for 30 mins luckily, but thats still enough to risk dying offline, which just shouldn't be a risk at all.

All this change will do is kill roaming. The world is too big so I'm going to want to log out and not ride back to town if I don't have a need to ride back. But I'm not going to want to risk dying when a random person finds me logged out in the 30 mins before I disappear, which will happen more often if the player base is good. Theres no benefit to this system besides making people like me not want to play because I'm just going to die logged out.

My counter proposal. Just make it a 5-10 min logout timer in the wild. But once you log, your logged out. This will kill combat logging. Also make it so boulders are dropped to the ground / you cant logout with them.

New Dungeon logout system is fine.

Tron

Apr 8, 2021
The world is too big, yet cant find a hiding spot to logout in. I've left my character logged in for hours AFK and no one has found me. If you need to logout, go logout behind a tree or something. How much time are you putting into making gear in this game??? I mean if you are worried about losing your gear this is the wrong game to play.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
The world is too big, yet cant find a hiding spot to logout in. I've left my character logged in for hours AFK and no one has found me. If you need to logout, go logout behind a tree or something. How much time are you putting into making gear in this game??? I mean if you are worried about losing your gear this is the wrong game to play.
If we get the population SV wants dying logged out will be much easier. I've seen way more people in dumb spots than I should have, so its always possible.

And my point is that if a player spends time making gear, weather its bone or cronite, getting a mount, traveling across the world, thats not time they spent so they can die logged. Dying logged just shouldn't be an option. If I die logged in thats fine, thats how the game works and a possibility every time I log in. But dying while logged out is a bad feature that no mmo should have.

ValhallaRider

May 28, 2021

What if i'm out in the wild miles away from a safe area and i have power cut / Internet loss / unexpected RL emergency / whatever i have to afk for a long time?
I'm now fucked and free target for 30 minutes.

Big no.

Tron

Apr 8, 2021
Yeah i get your point, but the game isn't done yet. They took away infinite weight on horse before adding bags, certain skill books are in the game but their related skills aren't in yet. From their track record so far there is no reason to think that it will not come in soon. Camps are not ready yet, but people still log out in combat. Was this the best fix for the moment, probably not? But will it get fixed? Yes I'm 100% sure.

Moxx

Oct 19, 2020
Well .. they took the step to be absolutely unfriendly for people with family and jobs.

Being able to be killed and losing everything because my girlfriend/woman needs help is ridiculous.

Imagine you want to login for 20 minutes to farm ... impossible.
Imagine you have a child and have to log out suddenly ...

Loosing some items one time doesn't hurt.
Loosing items again and again because of game mechanics is pain.

... Have fun playing mortal ... people with reallife are out.

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
People need to learn what issues the camping system is trying to solve:
  • An enemy group sieges down your palisade wall and logs out five to ten fighters inside in less than a minute. Well after you have repaired your wall, some of them log in, kill and loot your crafters/AFK players, then log off before you can log a fighter in and kill them.
  • Your team raids a dungeon to kill another group inside. Their scout sees your team and they log out before you can reach them.
  • You chase another player around an area, but lose track of him momentarily. You find him, but as you start hitting him, he disappears. A minute ago, he closed his client instead of manually logging out, which forces a logout a little while later even if being attacked.
So, looking at the logout timers and camp ideas separately (Currently just speculation):
  • Five seconds to log out in a safe area - Seems too short, should also consider if the player was recently in combat or a criminal.
  • Thirty seconds to log out and thirty minutes of idle time in an unsafe area - Option seems to be heavily discouraged, players really do not like the thought of dying without having a chance to fight back or even knowing they died. Since discouraged, camps are almost mandatory when logging out in the wild (More on camps below.)
  • No logout in dungeons/Three hour disconnect idle - Paired together because disconnect would just be used to log out in dungeons. I think most players actually support these two ideas as players rarely stay disconnected for more than thirty minutes, plus this would prevent a lot of dungeon camping abuse.
Now for the camp concept:
  • Camps seem like they don't serve any real purpose. If camp sites are easy to get and make, then what are they preventing? Is it just to show other groups that someone has logged out in the area? Can one person stay logged in and destroy the camp site to prevent people knowing about it?
  • How much time is too long to stay logged in afterward? Henrik himself said that nobody is patrolling every thirty minutes, and yet the penalty for not using a camp site is to idle for thirty minutes.
  • What if instead of idling for all that time, unsafe areas just had a five minute log out timer and zero seconds of idling in-game? Five minutes seems like an eternity if you're actually trying to log in enemy territory, and if you move or get hit, the logout is prevented. It seems that this avoids lots of anxiety for players worried about dying after they close the game out.

Tron

Apr 8, 2021
Well .. they took the step to be absolutely unfriendly for people with family and jobs.

Being able to be killed and losing everything because my girlfriend/woman needs help is ridiculous.

Imagine you want to login for 20 minutes to farm ... impossible.
Imagine you have a child and have to log out suddenly ...

Loosing some items one time doesn't hurt.
Loosing items again and again because of game mechanics is pain.

... Have fun playing mortal ... people with reallife are out.

Playing? don't you mean testing? All this progress will be wiped come EA. Nothing is stopping you from logging out to help your wife or child. Just dont logout in the middle of a road? maybe use your brain and logout somewhere hidden? In a game that takes a huge amount of time to do anything, 30 minutes is nothing.

Tron

Apr 8, 2021
People need to learn what issues the camping system is trying to solve:
  • An enemy group sieges down your palisade wall and logs out five to ten fighters inside in less than a minute. Well after you have repaired your wall, some of them log in, kill and loot your crafters/AFK players, then log off before you can log a fighter in and kill them.
  • Your team raids a dungeon to kill another group inside. Their scout sees your team and they log out before you can reach them.
  • You chase another player around an area, but lose track of him momentarily. You find him, but as you start hitting him, he disappears. A minute ago, he closed his client instead of manually logging out, which forces a logout a little while later even if being attacked.
So, looking at the logout timers and camp ideas separately (Currently just speculation):
  • Five seconds to log out in a safe area - Seems too short, should also consider if the player was recently in combat or a criminal.
  • Thirty seconds to log out and thirty minutes of idle time in an unsafe area - Option seems to be heavily discouraged, players really do not like the thought of dying without having a chance to fight back or even knowing they died. Since discouraged, camps are almost mandatory when logging out in the wild (More on camps below.)
  • No logout in dungeons/Three hour disconnect idle - Paired together because disconnect would just be used to log out in dungeons. I think most players actually support these two ideas as players rarely stay disconnected for more than thirty minutes, plus this would prevent a lot of dungeon camping abuse.
  • Camps seem like they don't serve any real purpose. If camp sites are easy to get and make, then what are they preventing? Is it just to show other groups that someone has logged out in the area? Can one person stay logged in and destroy the camp site to prevent people knowing about it?
  • How much time is too long to stay logged in afterward? Henrik himself said that nobody is patrolling every thirty minutes, and yet the penalty for not using a camp site is to idle for thirty minutes.
  • What if instead of idling for all that time, unsafe areas just had a five minute log out timer and zero seconds of idling in-game? Five minutes seems like an eternity if you're actually trying to log in enemy territory, and if you move or get hit, the logout is prevented. It seems that this avoids lots of anxiety for players worried about dying after they close the game out.

Nice feedback. One thing to consider is people logging off at certain camps or chests to snag them every time they respawn. Right now risar commanders spawn every 10 min. I can log in and kill one, then logout and wait 10 min and log back in with 0 chance of losing my loot. With 30 min in game after logout, this is impossible. 5 min I think is still too short.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Being beta there will be teething pain for new systems and a learning process for tge devs to get it right.

However the implementation of this system was heavily flawed with easy to see issues and other issues by choice not by mistake.

First is why does my character stay in the world for 28 minutes after the 2 min timer for the cleint to shut off? Just leave the cleint open for the full 30 mins at least so I can see if I get attacked. If I wanted to close the cleint faster I can with task manager or closing the program. Just allowing us the ability see and fight back if we are attacked afk would have mad this alot easier to stomache. Right now its more of a punishment to log out instead a mechanic to stop people from getting away by logging out.

Talking about punishment the reserve system felt like it was punishing us for just playing the game. I know it had a adjustment because people lost reserve while travel running, but its still another half implemented system that makes the game punish you for playing.

Im out here roaming and finding things, Im not afk in town like alot of players or even near a town. Making me run back to a town thats 30mins to a hour and a half away a safe spot to log out at is punishing me for exploring. Camp should have been added this patch or the logout system should have been on hold untill it was finished. We still dont have sophistication to fix reserves as well. Ill wait on missing bow skill since no one was playing to test npe archery besides like me and a few others.

If a person could not find you with 10 mins after a encounter then maybe they dont deserve to kill you.

The end vission of the system where you could take half a hour to log out would have been ok if they just allowed us to build campfires to log out after even a two min timer.

On a semi related note this game just takes up so much time for unnessissary and nessissary reason. Forcing people to spend another 30 mins watching a character after making them waste time resting and eating, and spending time to travel (which I like), after they spent alot of time extracting mined materials that also took time. Any new systems need to keep in mind that even the most dedicated players have 3 hours to play on workdays. The time waste to play ratio in this game is already high and people dont have multi boxing anymore to do somthing as they travel or extract.

I tested alot of beta games this inplementation is not a deal with its beta issue. Its a mistake in game design that they did not added all features to this system. And a mistake that SV has made multiple times in the past and is known for.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The new logout system would work better in future when players are building houses and "logout spots" all over the map. But in the current state there are areas like the jungle with a traveling distance of 1-2 hours to the next city. And with more animals in the jungle it might by tricky to find a save logout spot.

The no-logout-zones in dungeons and other special spots are nice, but the 30 minutes timer is fat too long.

Tron

Apr 8, 2021
The new logout system would work better in future when players are building houses and "logout spots" all over the map. But in the current state there are areas like the jungle with a traveling distance of 1-2 hours to the next city. And with more animals in the jungle it might by tricky to find a save logout spot.

The no-logout-zones in dungeons and other special spots are nice, but the 30 minutes timer is fat too long.
Honestly the jungle is so crazy that if someone finds you in 30 min they deserve the kill. If i lose track of somebody in the jungle for like 1 sec I can't find them at all lol.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
This. As you stated above, there are many issues with logging that need to be fixed. But they could be fixed better, like with a 5 min logout timer liek you just said, ect, that would be much less offensive to general play while fixing the issues.

I dont want people to think I want to be able to abuse these issues. I want logging issues to be fixed. I just really dont believe that ur character sitting there for 30 mins is the solution.

Reactions: Arfy and Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Stuff I would like to see for camps.

Inns and camps should offer increased rest or reserve gain functions.
Resting at a camp should be faster then no camp and I would like some level of reserve gain over the cap that you can get from un camped resting. Maybe a higher thresh hold to how much you are able to rest up to.
Inns should be similar but higher, and houses should allow you to add furnishings for a higher rest bonus.

Camps should have a cooking fire obviously. You can build a basic fire or mine stone for a better campfire.

Camp fires should prevent wildlife from entering a radius. The fire will deter bear and wolves that have not been attacked or have not attacked you already

Later on add tents and other small furnishings to set up a semi base camp in between housing and no housing.

Camps should log out with you which I think is already planned Give it like 30 seconds to a minute after you log out so people can tell I guess. It should comeback built already unless someone has built over it. A solid 2 min wait time for log out at a camp seems fair for me if the camp took 5-10 mins to build. And by build I mean finding the resources to build it. Not waiting on it to pop up while you sit AFK doing nothing. The owner of the camp would need to wait for everyone else who wants to log out to log out in a system like this and when a person respawns it would be a issue as they would have to make their own camp to log back in. Maybe have camps be attached to a party of players that as long as one of them is logged in it would stay untill they made their own camp.

Some people will reasonably find 2 mins a bit long for a log out but I think that its a good base line that could be lowered later.

Some stuff going back to the log out systems. 5 seconds to log out of towns is way, way to short. I think the current time to log out is fine. Inns and your house should be like 10 seconds and give you a reserve buff to make people to want to go to a inn to log out. The city is not a safe area so people should not insta log out just because they are in a city.

I heard all towns will get the safe log out which is a bad idea for Kranesh which is a bandit town kinda where people are PvPing. Maybe have one guarded Inn in Kranesh for log out.

Im fine with and like the dungeon disconnect timer of 30 mins. I would like to also see maybe the dungeons expanded or get bigger with a half way point to camp at.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
As others have said...the system may kinda suck right now, but we have to wait for future additions to make it all come together such as player housing, keeps, inns, camps, etc. Its going to solve people logging out at hotspots and dungeons which is a very good thing.

Nothing worse than someone magically appearing in a bush near a hotspot you are farming at or whatever.

Reactions: PatWins and Valoran

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
As others have said...the system may kinda suck right now, but we have to wait for future additions to make it all come together such as player housing, keeps, inns, camps, etc. Its going to solve people logging out at hotspots and dungeons which is a very good thing.

Nothing worse than someone magically appearing in a bush near a hotspot you are farming at or whatever.

Which could have gotten fixed by making it so you couldn't log out around dungeons etc, and your character stayed ingame for 30 min after crashing.

Instead we got a fix for a tiny part of the game which affects the whole playerbase negatively.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I am not sure why they are trying to make this into a survival game when it is supposed to be an MMO.
Survival games suck in the long term, they are only interesting for a few days. This is supposed to last us for another 10 years.

grendel

Jun 13, 2020
Maybe lower the timer for ctd's to 30 min. If someone is combat ctd'ing on purpose they will be found and killed in that time.