"New light night"

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
RUST developers were able to solve the problem of unscrewing the gamma. As far as I know, the scale in the game cannot be twisted and you cannot use third-party software for this. it just doesn't work.

Reactions: you

you

Nov 30, 2020
RUST developers were able to solve the problem of unscrewing the gamma. As far as I know, the scale in the game cannot be twisted and you cannot use third-party software for this. it just doesn't work.
There will always be people that complain about darkness either ways.
I see it a lot in rust aswell, even tho it's a massive and crucial part of the gameplay flow.

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
full moon night: quite being able to see
no full moon: pitch black and torches should let you see much more than now

imho

and yes, rust made it so that you can't screw up with gamma

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
And whats the point with nightvision if you can just use gamma, brightness and contrast to gain an even better nightvision without sacrificing another clade gift ?
in caves and other pitch black areas, there is no ambient light to turn up with gamma.

also, having not played rust, how did they combat gamma adjustment?

i've been suggesting for years to use both proximity and how much light is falling on a player determine if they draw in or not. players close to you will still draw in, as will players further away who are near a light source (carrying a torch, near a campfire, etc) but otherwise they wont draw in at all, making gamma adjusting give no advantage in finding players at night.

of course, everyone will still gamma adjust because it will still help to navigate the terrain, but i dont know any good solution for that one

-barcode

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
in caves and other pitch black areas, there is no ambient light to turn up with gamma.

also, having not played rust, how did they combat gamma adjustment?

i've been suggesting for years to use both proximity and how much light is falling on a player determine if they draw in or not. players close to you will still draw in, as will players further away who are near a light source (carrying a torch, near a campfire, etc) but otherwise they wont draw in at all, making gamma adjusting give no advantage in finding players at night.

of course, everyone will still gamma adjust because it will still help to navigate the terrain, but i dont know any good solution for that one

-barcode
Well they said that for caves in MO too, but you could adjust it so you could see there too.

Reactions: Vagrant

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
depends on the cave. mino area was pitch black iirc, so people would plop down campfires

-barcode
And thats why so many mino farmers got dunked easily by adjusters. As I said it didnt work, gamma is not the only thing you can adjust you know.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
We are beginning to conflate two different arguments here: outdoors with moons/light, and caves with literally no light source. Complete blackness in a cave makes sense, and you can decide if you want to enter it, and gives torches a valid use. But making the *entire game* too dark to play for significant periods of time, is a bad idea. Sunlight and moonlight are both light sources, and you should be able to see in both. Think about walking around IRL under a full moon. Night should be an immersion factor, not something that makes people literally log out of the game to avoid it. The only real difference between outdoor daytime and nighttime, besides the loss of color, should be the shadows; at night, those *should* be too dark to see into, no matter the gamma.

you

Nov 30, 2020
We are beginning to conflate two different arguments here: outdoors with moons/light, and caves with literally no light source. Complete blackness in a cave makes sense, and you can decide if you want to enter it, and gives torches a valid use. But making the *entire game* too dark to play for significant periods of time, is a bad idea. Sunlight and moonlight are both light sources, and you should be able to see in both. Think about walking around IRL under a full moon. Night should be an immersion factor, not something that makes people literally log out of the game to avoid it. The only real difference between outdoor daytime and nighttime, besides the loss of color, should be the shadows; at night, those *should* be too dark to see into, no matter the gamma.
U can just choose to not go outside during the night aswell as ur cave arguement. This should definitely be a factor u have to consider when u make decisions in the gameworld, night should be dangerous.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
U can just choose to not go outside during the night aswell as ur cave arguement. This should definitely be a factor u have to consider when u make decisions in the gameworld, night should be dangerous.
Not go outside? Outside of the caves already discussed, where would you be, besides outside? It's an outdoor game. Technically, you could stay inside buildings, but I hope your trying to discuss improving the game, and not trying to win an argument by playing technicality word games.

Of course night should be dangerous, no one is arguing that (a strawman argument) it just shouldn't be invisible/un-navigable, as if your in a cave or something.

Last edited:

you

Nov 30, 2020
Not go outside? Outside of the caves already discussed, where would you be, besides outside? It's an outdoor game. Technically, you could stay inside buildings, but I hope your trying to discuss improving the game, and not trying to win an argument by playing technicality word games.

Of course night should be dangerous, no one is arguing that (a strawman argument) it just shouldn't be invisible/un-navigable, as if your in a cave or something.
I mean, if night isn't gunna be dark, then what is the point of having a night cycle, might aswell just be permanent day.
The crafting system and other stuff should be expansive enough for u to have shit to do during the downtime, if ur too much of a pussy to venture outside ur walls or the towns.
Night-time is when predators hunt, that's how it should be.

Vagrant

Oct 8, 2020
no fixed address
The only real difference between outdoor daytime and nighttime, besides the loss of color, should be the shadows; at night, those *should* be too dark to see into, no matter the gamma.

if this is possible with UE4 or whatever then this shadow solution should really be looked at,
but short of this and countering gamma adjustments ( like Rust apparently does ), I don't see this discussion getting far without devs confirming if it can be done.

there's no 'risk' being out at night currently, it just looks shit when you feel forced to gamma up just because you know your enemy will.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
I mean, if night isn't gunna be dark, then what is the point of having a night cycle, might aswell just be permanent day.
ur too much of a pussy to venture outside ur walls or the towns.
The point is immersion. In case you missed it, they already re-worked the moons a bit, before a great many important things, so I doubt they find light at night unimportant, nor do I think they want to repeat past mistakes from MO1. Read up on "lessons learned', I suggest to you.

God ur dense, there is mechanics in the game making night-time brighter, like night vision and torches. Like just stop.
I'm still trying to figure out how people being able to see makes night-time "safe" in your estimation; lots more light in daytime, doesn't make it safe, just makes for more/better PVP,

And grow up with the insults already.

you

Nov 30, 2020
The point is immersion. In case you missed it, they already re-worked the moons a bit, before a great many important things, so I doubt they find light at night unimportant, nor do I think they want to repeat past mistakes from MO1. Read up on "lessons learned', I suggest to you.

I'm still trying to figure out how people being able to see makes night-time "safe" in your estimation; lots more light in daytime, doesn't make it safe, just makes for more/better PVP,

And grow up with the insults already.
U do realize that u are argueing FOR making nighttime brighter on a thread that was created to point out that it had gotten too bright, right?

The point isn't just fucking immersion, u have no idea what ur talking about, there is plenty more to night time that affects the games mechanics, like stealth for example, as there is no invisibility in the game, being able to blend in with ur surroundings is crucial to stealth gameplay.

But also, how the hell is not having to wield a torch during nighttime immersive? And who ever said that being able to see was "safe"? Ur just making shit up. Clearly having impaired visuals in a game where there is things like night vision is a disadvantage to u, and clearly therefor ur in greater danger than u otherwise would be in broad daylight..

At this point i'm just going to assume ur trolling, and leave the discussion at that, cause ur honestly not worth the time.

Ministro

Dec 3, 2020
like stealth for example, as there is no invisibility in the game, being able to blend in with ur surroundings is crucial to stealth gameplay.
But also, how the hell is not having to wield a torch during nighttime immersive?
If you had actually read my posts, you would know that I'm all for shadows at night being completely dark/un-gamma-able.
You would have also noticed that I advocate the same un-gamma-able darkness in caves, and that torches there will be absolutely necessary/appropriate. If you really pay attention, you'll notice that there is a race with black skin, that's gonna be difficult to see at night under any of the above circumstances.

Daytime has a light source; it's called the sun. Night-time has *two* light sources; they're called moons, so yes, you should be able to see, especially since I'm pretty sure that no one wants to have to resort to gamma adjustment to be competitive. And torches outdoors don't let you see very far, but let you *be* seen from very far away, so I argue their utility outdoors.

You should read more, and think more, before you knee-jerk post your childishly-insulting flames.