Neftan's "Aesthetic Combat Stances" Suggestion

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I would like to propose different combat stances. They could be implemented for either aesthetics or game play.

Currently, the stance is generic as it was in MO1. Your character stands with slightly bent knees, weapon in front of them.

I would like to see variance of this. It would add personal flare to the player character, and could make weapon types more distinguished.

Perhaps a shield and one handed weapon user would stand with their shield slightly raised and their weapon resting atop of it. Perhaps a maul user would have the maul leaning back onto their shoulder unless running or swinging. Maybe a greatsword user could have a lower stance, akin to early MO1.

The above are just suggestions - but having variable stances available either per weapon type, or just in general, would be a fun aesthetic change.

It could be made deeper by adding in custom weapon arcs, but that is an entire level beyond just having different rest and walking stances.

Last edited:

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I like it but would rather see that you enter an "idle stance" after 10 seconds or so of not sprinting or swinging rather than the above stances being the new norm. As you say you might get tired holding a maul in your hands "normally" so you put it on your shoulder instead after a while when standing still or jogging.

Reactions: PatWins

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I like it but would rather see that you enter an "idle stance" after 10 seconds or so of not sprinting or swinging rather than the above stances being the new norm. As you say you might get tired holding a maul in your hands "normally" so you put it on your shoulder instead after a while when standing still or jogging.
Thats a sound suggestion for the peasants, now for an ancient warrior like myself I will hold the maul for years above my head Kenobi style and taunt you :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: PatWins
May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
idle stances 10 sec after actions? yes! even when moving make a resting/ready stance for when you move too so maul or great sword user have a on shoulder or low to the side stance when sprinting around with weapon drawn until they attack/block and get into ready stance i guess?

i want to see new combat stances too but imo i think it would confuse ppl more than anything. i guess thats the reason for combat stances but newer players are gonna have a hard time to understand or adapt to it. im already not a great dueler and having different animation for attacks because of stances will just make melee pvp harder for me and others (thats why i want poison/bows/crossbow/throwing weapons soon lol)

(remember the focus of mortal online is not ONLY the pvp, pvE and the social element need some attention too)

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
rather than have all that animation work go to something with no tangible effect in game, why not have aggressive stance/defensive stance be toggleable and show up visually for the character

-barcode

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
rather than have all that animation work go to something with no tangible effect in game, why not have aggressive stance/defensive stance be toggleable and show up visually for the character

-barcode
I do say i would enjoy the stances hav9ng effects on gameplay, I just am unsure of how wise it would be to implement at first