Name of player not show u til on fiendlist

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Feels like a pretty quick way to throw away the sense of community that held MO together for as long as it has.
If Tarkov can do it, MO can too. If this drives people away the game is too hardcore for them and they should go play Maplestory or something.
Tarkov is a match based game that doesn't give a damn about community in gameplay. Community is all external, everyone in game is either a mate in discord or a stranger. That's not how a persistent world is supposed to be. It's fine for Tarkov, because that is a different experience altogether. Just not having names..? For what purpose? To simulate face-blindness?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Well, that idea has been discussed for a long time by me and others for MO.

Leave people unidentified and anonymous unless you learn who they are by them being friended with you, or maybe some wanted posters (or similar) for criminals that you can learn about. Maybe because of some banners or special items or guild relations
Seeing people and directly being able to identify them withoute

Cromwell

Jun 4, 2020
With very customizable faces it would be awesome, but i don't think it would actually work in MO I like the idea but i cannot see it working...

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
With very customizable faces it would be awesome, but i don't think it would actually work in MO I like the idea but i cannot see it working...
Christ could you imagine the local chat log?
??? says: Hey
??? says: Yo
??? says: Yo moms a b****
??? says: What the hell did you just say to me?
??? says: I didn't say that! That uhh.. that.. guy.. maybe over there said it?... Or maybe.. maybe that guy who is also a thurkhur 180 cm wearing the same gear...I..I don't know, but he's right your moms a B.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Christ could you imagine the local chat log?
??? says: Hey
??? says: Yo
??? says: Yo moms a b****
??? says: What the hell did you just say to me?
??? says: I didn't say that! That uhh.. that.. guy.. maybe over there said it?... Or maybe.. maybe that guy who is also a thurkhur 180 cm wearing the same gear...I..I don't know, but he's right your moms a B.
How about distant yell chat log?
??? says: H**
??? says: **
??? says: Yo mo*s a b****
??? says: W**t **e he** **d yo* just *** to m*?
??? says: I d*d*'t *** t**t! *ha* *h*.. t*a*.. ***.. **y*e o*e* **e*e *a*d **?... O* m*y*e.. m***e **at g** wh* is also a **ur*h*r 1** c* we*r*ng the **** gear...I..* d**'t *now, b** h*'s ri**t your m*ms a *.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
How about distant yell chat log?
??? says: H**
??? says: **
??? says: Yo mo*s a b****
??? says: W**t **e he** **d yo* just *** to m*?
??? says: I d*d*'t *** t**t! *ha* *h*.. t*a*.. ***.. **y*e o*e* **e*e *a*d **?... O* m*y*e.. m***e **at g** wh* is also a **ur*h*r 1** c* we*r*ng the **** gear...I..* d**'t *now, b** h*'s ri**t your m*ms a *.
??? says: That's it, if ya'll don't get this horse out from in front of the bank, I'm gonna say a very bad word.

Cromwell

Jun 4, 2020
Something that could actually do the trick, but would limit the amount of possible new players, is simply, no chat, just system chat, everyone need voip, no one has a name unless friended, you should have to rely on remembering voice and mannerisms to id people hahahaha

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Something that could actually do the trick, but would limit the amount of possible new players, is simply, no chat, just system chat, everyone need voip, no one has a name unless friended, you should have to rely on remembering voice and mannerisms to id people hahahaha
^This. Escape from Tarkov has it this exact way where there is zero chat and at most you have prerecorded voice chat options. No chat would make the game more hardcore and while you lose a few of the chaff (carebear new players), you retain and gain a lot more hardcore players

Darknight

May 29, 2020
^This. Escape from Tarkov has it this exact way where there is zero chat and at most you have prerecorded voice chat options. No chat would make the game more hardcore and while you lose a few of the chaff (carebear new players), you retain and gain a lot more hardcore players

You're a bit hopeful there. You will not gain many new hardcore players. But you will end up with a world filled with 60 people. How would you propose people trade, guilds recruit new players, simply chat in town. Not to mention, goodbye to those players who like to roleplay. Again, an MMO is based on social interaction. This is not an FPS.

Last edited:
  • Love

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
You're a bit hopeful there. You will not gain many new hardcore players. But you will end up with a world filled with 60 people. How would you propose people trade, guilds recruit new players, simply chat in town. Again, an MMO is based on social interaction. This is not an FPS.
Voice chat? It's not like there is 0 communication. And besides, it's not like players HAVE to trade with each other. In Tarkov, players were encouraged (and will eventually be forced) to be self sufficient and rely on vendors for all their equipment, which require quests which is a grind. In MO, with Henrik's new expanded skill tree to allow for PVP and PVE content, it too encourages players to be self sufficient except instead of relying on vendors they rely on their ability to gather materials and craft with them.

Also, a world with 60 people is approximately 60x the population of MO1 which is very good.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
I'm not sure encouraging anyone to be completely self sufficient should ever be a goal to begin with.
As if the chat would look any different with names attached. :p

And it's not like you can't identify who said what and having a coherent log without having names attached.
At least think things through for once. :p

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
Voice chat? It's not like there is 0 communication. And besides, it's not like players HAVE to trade with each other. In Tarkov, players were encouraged (and will eventually be forced) to be self sufficient and rely on vendors for all their equipment, which require quests which is a grind. In MO, with Henrik's new expanded skill tree to allow for PVP and PVE content, it too encourages players to be self sufficient except instead of relying on vendors they rely on their ability to gather materials and craft with them.

Also, a world with 60 people is approximately 60x the population of MO1 which is very good.
I think you misunderstood the idea behind why you would have profession and combat skill points. the idea is that you would only have one character and probably wanna do some fighting and some profession. Not to be self sufficient as it will still take multiply characters to achieve that. You might be able to be a armorer but nothing more. If you are lucky you can maybe focus on a certain material and be able to do armor and weapons in that but they are probably gonna make it very slim with points.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
I think you misunderstood the idea behind why you would have profession and combat skill points. the idea is that you would only have one character and probably wanna do some fighting and some profession. Not to be self sufficient as it will still take multiply characters to achieve that. You might be able to be a armorer but nothing more. If you are lucky you can maybe focus on a certain material and be able to do armor and weapons in that but they are probably gonna make it very slim with points.
I'm not in favor of the idea of making content that only a small portion of the populace will ever experience. Wanting to stimulate commerce by causing people to need to trade with one another is one thing, but there's other ways to do it aside from limiting any one player's experience to small subset of the game.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
I'm not in favor of the idea of making content that only a small portion of the populace will ever experience. Wanting to stimulate commerce by causing people to need to trade with one another is one thing, but there's other ways to do it aside from limiting any one player's experience to small subset of the game.
Well your only temporarily limited as you will still be able to move your skill points over to other skills like in MO1. At least i havnt heard about any change in this.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Well your only temporarily limited as you will still be able to move your skill points over to other skills like in MO1. At least i havnt heard about any change in this.
Yes, you can delete all of your grind progress to grind up something else, and if you find you don't like that, you're free to delete that progress too and have nothing if you want to go back. Never found that concept appealing. Just felt like wasted time that didn't benefit anyone and wasn't fun for anyone because it was usually just spamming shitty left gloves in a crafting bench or something.

In regards to combat skills, it felt even sillier as you could play with a spear for years, but if you didn't have enough points to learn hammers, you would have to make your character forget which way is the pointy end of a spear to let them learn to wield a club. Can't really tell you why, it couldn't be for "realism" as no warrior would ever learn one weapon only, and as far as balance is concerned, its already a full loot game so if you want to bring and use every weapon under the sun, you ought to be able to do so effectively at your own peril. It's not like you can wield them all simultaneously unless you've figured out how to give your thursar khurite some octopus arms.

People complained when everyone restatted during the flanged mace meta, and everyone was only using clubs but there were mounteds everywhere and everyone was wearing heavy armor, and we literally could not use other weapons due to way skills were set up to only allowed one or two weapons effectively at one time. So yeah, nobody branched out, because the game didn't want you to. You want to help cut down on meta set ups? Don't force people into making all-or-nothing choices that promote a need for min-maxing.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
At the risk of continuing to be off topic, I concede that there's more need for some forced specialization in crafting than combat though, as you don't have to stimulate an economy with beating each other's heads in, that shits gonna happen regardless.

Reactions: Rolufe