My review of the combat / changes so far.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I love how people praise this combat. It's just not good, and people are basically hinging it on them adding a kick and a dodge.

What happens if the kick and dodge do nothing to change how quick sand and clunky the combat feels? Just say its awesome and it works?

I swear the alpha was bought into by the people who constantly died in MO1 and other melee slashers just to make sure the skill floor was so high it touched the god damn ceiling so now everyone is just capable of doing everything and the only thing that will matter is gear, numbers, and in the future mounts and probably pets.

Feel like I'm in some weird twilight Zone episode.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
It will change once kick and more offensive strike moves are added. Add cronite and Oghmiun weapons, racial perks and the combats gonna be insane. What we have right now is the bread and butter without the community min/max tweaking. It's a perfect base to grow from.

This is the kind of person I mean. Calls what we have right now a good 'base' even though it does nothing to promote skill.

What will SV do in the three remaining patches until supposed persistence to turn the combat around. No clue but I guess we can watch from afar as the bombs drop.

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
What I am saying is that is a shit base. Relying on gimmicks and high end gear to have offensive options is beyond stupid.

Offensive play should be viable at all gear levels.

The base should be that both aggressive and defensive plays are viable. That is currently not the case.
Offensive play is going to get some buffs. Defensive play was focused on to figure out the right balance and will be left the way it is right now to get more casuals in the game to learn. The goal seems to be to leave defensive combat the way it is for the most part and to improve from here offensively.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Offensive play is going to get some buffs. Defensive play was focused on to figure out the right balance and will be left the way it is right now to get more casuals in the game to learn. The goal seems to be to leave defensive combat the way it is for the most part and to improve from here offensively.

I don't think of it as a buff. Offensive play will get new mechanics that might or might not work as intended. Defensive play will have a chance to avoid this with a dodge mechanic.

So we might end up with a system that is just as zerg and defensive friendly as the current one. But in persistent release?where SV will be reluctant to change anything. Which ultimately means that we might be stuck with a shit system for a long time.

This is not me being negative but rather looking at facts and knowing how Herius operates.

I was content after the dev update on combat but 2 patches came and went and no special moves and balance between def and off playstyles.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I don't think of it as a buff. Offensive play will get new mechanics that might or might not work as intended. Defensive play will have a chance to avoid this with a dodge mechanic.

So we might end up with a system that is just as zerg and defensive friendly as the current one. But in persistent release?where SV will be reluctant to change anything. Which ultimately means that we might be stuck with a shit system for a long time.

This is not me being negative but rather looking at facts and knowing how Herius operates.

I was content after the dev update on combat but 2 patches came and went and no special moves and balance between def and off playstyles.
I don’t want to be misconstrued as hating the combat because I don’t.

I just want some of the aggressive tools I had back, accelerating attacks, being allowed to aim freely, being able to move around.

Reactions: ThaBadMan and Svaar

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
it realy depends on how "special" these moves are.
i hope they add more core mechanics before they come with special spell like moves. they mentioned that the defensive play is in a solid base for the future so i think buffing the offense rather than nerfing the defense is the way to go.

the aim should be: a naked lvl1 vet with a weapon, a beginner can afford, should beat a geared newbie in a 1vs1 melee fight.

boba

Jun 23, 2020
The funny thing is, this video exampling Furry, is basically a lot of people in the game.

Now, bare with me.

I don't like Furry, but to observe his ability in dueling scenarios there is only a handful of people I know personally who could beat him (in a duel) in MO1. His group fighting ability is terrible.
Now with the skill floor raised so high, a lot of people can be just as defensive as him. It's really NOT that hard to not die / lose a duel, because you can just quite literally prolong it indefinitely.
This does matter in group fights because sometimes you have to 1v1, or finish someone; but now unless you guarantee multiple people on one target doing different swing directions (even then) if the player is just average at best can still live.

hahahaaaahahahhahaaa

Last edited:

Lasciel

Oct 3, 2020
I love how people praise this combat. It's just not good, and people are basically hinging it on them adding a kick and a dodge.

What happens if the kick and dodge do nothing to change how quick sand and clunky the combat feels? Just say its awesome and it works?

I swear the alpha was bought into by the people who constantly died in MO1 and other melee slashers just to make sure the skill floor was so high it touched the god damn ceiling so now everyone is just capable of doing everything and the only thing that will matter is gear, numbers, and in the future mounts and probably pets.

Feel like I'm in some weird twilight Zone episode.

I mean, that's exactly what happened. This combat system is literally geriatric, it would be so difficult to be below-average that it's more impressive to suck than it is to be decent. Compared to just about any other melee oriented game you're basically playing something developed in a retirement home.

• Haha
Reactions: Teknique

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
The combat is great as a starting point. Henrik knocked it out if the park. Once customization is available, min/maxing, kicks, magery, etc its going to be glorious.

Glad to see MO1's figure skating competition combat dead and gone.

Reactions: boba

Lasciel

Oct 3, 2020
The combat is great as a starting point. Henrik knocked it out if the park. Once customization is available, min/maxing, kicks, magery, etc its going to be glorious.

Glad to see MO1's figure skating competition combat dead and gone.

If it's great as a starting point then this also means that it has much to improve on. Hence the point of a combat alpha.

Reactions: boba

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
If it's great as a starting point then this also means that it has much to improve on. Hence the point of a combat alpha.

For sure, I actually can't find anything wrong with what we have now. MO1 vets keep comparing a fully fleshed out combat experiance ala MO1 with a skeleton framework MO2 combat. It gives me so much hope for the direction this game will take. Honestly shocked by how good everything looks and feels. This has been the MMO experience I have dreamed about since Ultima Online.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Yet some people prefer that we adjust blocking arcs for 10 years and leave it at that....

:sneaky:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Yet we are now out of combat alpha and playing alpha, with beta coming next patch I guess with planned persistent early new year unless they are wise enough to throw it back some months.
We where closer to the perfect MO combat earlier in the combat alpha than now because of most of the changes imo. So much lost time that could have been spent better.

But we have what 2-3 patches until persistent so we could be lucky, most changes could be reverted so we can have good combat along with the ping normalization which I must say is huge for a game like MO.
But charge speed, swing speed and move speed sure does need getting faster to give us generally less time to react. Imo we should also see a nice lessening of arcs both for swings and blocks to promote spending time training and honing your skills and to lessen the gear/number based combat MO became. Zergs should never be promoted over skill.

Reactions: Rorry

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Yet some people prefer that we adjust blocking arcs for 10 years and leave it at that....

:sneaky:
Actually not, we want combat in a finished, smooth, polished, fun and balanced state that require skill and training. Combat to be done before persistent so SV can spend all their time finishing and creating content for the game for it to be successful.

But we all know combat held MO alive through thick and thin. In low times PvP was the glue and in high times PvP was constant and everywhere.
We need a good solid combat in order to prosper in this type of game.

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
hopefully they will add a patch before running the open stress test. patch that will fix warping characters. if they don't, then this stress test will be the best anti-advertising of the project

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
hopefully they will add a patch before running the open stress test. patch that will fix warping characters. if they don't, then this stress test will be the best anti-advertising of the project
Yea I feel bad for the stress test seeing how bad the server handled the large fight outside Bakti. Humanoid bug arrived, players where teleporting, warping and many stuck in animation loops.

And that was below 100 players.

Reactions: Garfielf