Murder Count System

D

Deleted member 44

What is the point of the murder count system when 80% of the time you respawn at a blue priest and you can't give a murdercount. I can see why blues are mad when the system to protect them does nothing.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
The system as it stands basically is just a means of making PvP less fun for everyone.

The only people this system works for is people who RPK while blue & count their MC & do deliveries to farm rep. This is the playstyle that this system encourages; mechanically, that is what the game is practically telling you to do. Basically, a criminal that just exploits broken mechanics to get the best of both worlds at the expense of having to wait out MC occasionally(which you can just log off or play an alt for... terrible design), and having to fit deliveries into their schedule. The thing is, I have a hard time saying this is a fun playstyle, either, even though it's the 'best of both worlds' situation and the functional 'meta'. Really, it's pretty tedious as it turns PvP into a one-sided affair, and frankly creates a tedious gameplay loop of boring PvE delivery quests & literally not playing your character while waiting for MC to expire.

I'm not an RPK, and I can say that the current MC/rep/flag system has only served to make my experience with the PvP in MO2 worse. I don't think there is ever going to be meaningful PvP for someone with my playstyle in MO2 with this system. That's bad enough, but it does nothing to actually curtail grief, as the current meta just involves griefing within the confines of an extremely tedious MC/rep system with no consequence, or going outlaw and disregarding said consequences entirely.

Frankly, it sucks for people who want to do the outlaw playstyle, and it sucks for people who want to do the lawful playstyle. The only people this system is 'good' for is people who exploit it for murder without consequence, which is most of the playerbase (which makes sense since this is the meta it creates mechanically, and people will always aim to do what is most efficient within the rule-set), but it still makes the game less fun/more tedious even for them.

Basically, the functional reality of these mechanics are the opposite of what the system is trying to accomplish. They should either scrap it entirely for something easier to implement like MO1 had, or rework it so that it does serve the purpose of delineating criminal from lawful, and preferably also makes the criminal gameplay loop less tedious. Either of these changes would actually allow for fun PvP, since in one instance it is an actual 'wild west' situation and everyone knows what they are getting into, while in the other there is at least an obvious indicator of who is allowed to kill whom.

As it stands now, it meets neither the objective of being 'impartial but brutal' like MO1, nor of the aimed objective of 'delineating criminal from lawful'. Instead it creates a system where the most heinous criminals are typically blues working within the confines of a poorly implemented PK system, while any other playstyle gets the shaft.

The result is the system just feels willfully unjust. This is how you get people to just sit around in cities and never want to go outside; why would I want to go out into the world when I know the mechanics behind PKing are so broken? I have to either accept a MC for attacking first, or else I am always at the mercy of the local blue bandits...?

Last edited:

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
This is a problem because dumb people asked for more and better timesink punishments and SV adds arbitrary idiotic rules to create the illusion of fairness or punishment. They should just make an alive whitness report system and remove non diegetic law off the world.

Let players be the law, the game needs player centered features not more npcs or behavioral hardbrakes.

manure

May 7, 2022
What is the point of the murder count system when 80% of the time you respawn at a blue priest and you can't give a murdercount. I can see why blues are mad when the system to protect them does nothing.

I dont think I understood you...
Maybe you werent able to give murder counts to your killer because your own murder count is high... and if I recall correctly, you cannot give counts to anyone if you have some quantity of murder counts yourself !

Anyway... hey Devs.. please fix the murder count suicide exploit !
Ive been reporting it daily since god knows when... until now, no effect

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I dont think I understood you...
Maybe you werent able to give murder counts to your killer because your own murder count is high... and if I recall correctly, you cannot give counts to anyone if you have some quantity of murder counts yourself !

Anyway... hey Devs.. please fix the murder count suicide exploit !
Ive been reporting it daily since god knows when... until now, no effect
Another dumbass bandaid people exploit a lot.
With a living player whitness report system that problematic is gone. If a blue whitnesses a crime (criminal/s) can report back in town, if the whitness dies it's hands off the table no ress to report bullshit.
Law should be a mechanic that involves players actively, if they wanna report make em work for it.
The ress to report mechanic is the worst condescending bullshit they could think as a healthy ruleset.